Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I liked (or partly even loved) the first three (yes! THREE!) Mad Max movies, but in spite of high expectations hated Fury Road. After 15 and then at about 30 minutes I was bored stiff and only kept on watching because I had read so many rave reviews. But even after finishing the movie I decided it was an ordeal and I would certainly not wish to watch it again.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »
    No news on Mad Max: Wasteland yet?

Max ended for me with Thunderdome.

Because only Gibson can be Max?
    That's part of it, but also because film-making has changed. RW & MMBT have a very specific look, style, and even budget to them. There's an almost Road Runner feel to the motion, visceral and tangible. Now everything is video game motion, colour washed and CGI assisted. And yeah, Hardy just doesn't do it for me as Max. And how could he anyway? He wasn't even the star of his own movie.
    Fury Road was an amazing action film in its own right but it's pointless trying to justify it in the context of the rest of the series imo. I know that they did that tie in comic to bridge the gap but it's just easier to accept it as its own thing, a reboot, and be done with it. I'd be excited for a follow up sure because it was a very good film and I love the series but I'd actually rather Miller just continued on with Furiosa spinoffs if that's where his passion lies.

I thought it was really well made and well done and I love the way it's bought the series back to the public eye but it did just feel like Miller wanted to do something else and slapped the Mad Max label onto it. It's also a shame that Gibson has gone into comeback mode now, who knows, if he'd managed that seven years ago maybe we could have ended up with a proper Mad Max 4. Don't get me wrong the stuff he said and the way he treated his ex was horrendous but he's faced the legal consequences of his actions and publically apologised. That's pretty much all he can do and while that doesn't just brush everything he did under the carpet he shouldn't be begrudged the right to carry on with his career. Tom Cruise is heavily involved with an evil cult but people put that aside to fawn over whatever new stunt he's doing. Roman Polanski raped a teenager and fled rather than facing the consequences and there's people actually petitioning to let him back in the US! So with that in mind I don't get why we couldn't have gotten Gibson in the role again. He still looks good and most of the stuntwork is driving anyway, it's not a ridiculously physical role.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 3,333
    I agree @thelivingroyale, Mel Gibson should be in the next Mad Max movie, if there is to be another one. The modern cinemagoer might enjoy salivating over Thomas Hardy, but I think if Fury Road showed us anything then it's that Hardy doesn't have the necessary A-List charisma, certainly not in the same league as Gibson, to do a film like Mad Max justice. If by some movie magic, Hardy could be erased and replaced by Gibson in Fury Road then audiences would be able to see for themselves the vast differences between someone with compelling pizzazz and someone without. There's just no way that Charlize Theron would've ended up taking over the screen and owning it with Mel Gibson's star quality filling it alongside hers, unlike Hardy, who due to his lack of charisma and presence ended up being dwarfed by her own star quality. Sure, Fury Road looks great, it's a great movie.... just with the wrong actor in the lead.
    I have to say that RW & MMBT are two of the most visually striking Blu Rays I own. I thought the DVD's looked pretty good, but my GOSH now I couldn't even ever look at them again...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wish Gibson was Max in Fury Road. There was no need to make it a reboot or midquel or whatever. It would have made for a great older Max adventure. I enjoyed Fury Road but it's not really a movie I'd come back to for a long time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, good point regarding the other celebrities mentioned. Too often I see people trashing and avoiding certain works of particular celebrities for the aforementioned reasons, just to give a pass to another for the same thing.
    Looks like we won't be seeing the further adventures of Mad Max either. The future of the Mad Max franchise has hit another bend in the road, as the bitter court battle makes its way from California to Australia’s Supreme Court of New South Wales. This means that fans waiting on Mad Max 5 and 6 — for which Miller has already written scripts — may have to wait indefinitely.

https://smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/bitter-court-battle-over-mad-max-fury-road-blocks-two-new-movies-20180412-p4z98o.html
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837
    bondsum wrote: »
    Looks like we won't be seeing the further adventures of Mad Max either. The future of the Mad Max franchise has hit another bend in the road, as the bitter court battle makes its way from California to Australia’s Supreme Court of New South Wales. This means that fans waiting on Mad Max 5 and 6 — for which Miller has already written scripts — may have to wait indefinitely.

https://smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/bitter-court-battle-over-mad-max-fury-road-blocks-two-new-movies-20180412-p4z98o.html

As bleak as this sounds, what worries me about this is that Miller isn't getting any younger, and I don't trust anyone to make these movies like he does. I know he isn't going to drop dead at 75 but the Mad Max movies are so big that they take ages to make (it took them years to put Fury Road together and it finished filming two years before it actually came out), and if this takes a while to sort out then who knows when we might get the next one and how old he might be when it happens. I really want as many of these films from him as possible.
    I totally agree, only Miller knows how to make a proper Mad Max movie. I know Miller had some help with George Ogilvie on Beyond the Thunderdome, but it sort of shows.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    George Miller eyes to start production on the Furiosa spin-off in 2021. Anya Taylor-Joy (Split) is in talks to join the film.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/george-miller-eyes-mad-max-furiosa-spinoff-1202220761/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm definitely game! Fury Road remains one of my favourite films of these past few years.
    Seconded and multiplied.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,869
    There were rumours of Jodie Comer being considered for young Furiosa as well.

https://geektyrant.com/news/new-mad-max-movie-looking-to-cast-jodie-comer-as-a-young-furiosa
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll gladly take more of anything Miller's returning to do within that universe but I'd much rather get a Fury Road sequel before a prequel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    After rewatching all of them earlier this year, I must say they are all piss poor except Fury Road, which at least looks great. They do have some interesting villains, though.
    After rewatching all of them earlier this year, I must say they are all piss poor except Fury Road, which at least looks great. They do have some interesting villains, though.

Cant agree. I think Max 2 is still one of the best action movies I've seen. I enjoyed Fury Road, but felt Hardy was outshone by Theron, and I just couldn't accept him as Max. Mad Max 2 is far and away the best of the 4 movies!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Mad Max 2 is far and away the best of the 4 movies!
    1 & 3 are pretty damn good, though.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,526
    I really like them all, but of the four, I think three is my least favourite. I’ve also seen it the least. Tina rules though.

I saw Fury Road nine times in theatres, capping off with the Black and Chrome version at a local indie theatre, where I fell asleep.
    I love all of these films, including BT. FR is my favourite. Sorry, Mel.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Mad Max 2 is far and away the best of the 4 movies!
    1 & 3 are pretty damn good, though.

They are indeed. The opening set piece of 1 is fantastic, and production values + Tina on 3 are terrific!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Love the Mad Max films as much as Bond. Another great setup for an action character and storytelling.
    • Mad Max: a rough diamond, also an amazing first film. Understand if it doesn't hold interest. One of the great action films and part of film history.
    • Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior: an all time great action film and influence on cinema. Just watching the prologue seals the deal on Director Miller's achievement with this one. Saw it opening night at a drive-in in Upstate New York. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q
    • Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome: the lesser of the four, let down by its jazzy music score and a Spielbergy bent. Many many smart approaches and ideas in the movie, but a mistake to evolve Max too quickly and into an MTV-style product. Didn't have a problem with the opening and end songs by Tina Turner, though.
    • Mad Max Fury Road: an all time great action film, equal and different to the second. Confronting Max with the characters and events as presented proved the advertising correct to me: Director Miller was the genius they said he was. (I took the afternoon off and went to one of the Black and Chrome screenings--loved it, and I had the theater to myself.)

So the Furiosa backstory plans release in 2024.

And the Fury Road continuation, Wasteland or otherwise, has no assigned year. Still I feel Miller assembled his team and worked out the next two stories, they will be told. An unbelievable delay, but just a matter of time.

D7AZ.gifec60a0f876dfd7dd37b4940670101ef2f4b9b738r1-600-400_00.gif
    6ytc.giftumblr_nq5dbiMCl31spwd06o8_250.gifv

UnhappyImaginaryArieltoucan-size_restricted.giftumblr_ndl6szy1eE1t0ow0mo1_r1_250.gifvfuck+you,+sir!.gif

i9DTma.gif26RZOw.gif
    4ba61ad695be755871545d05d116f712339070f5.gifve2b5eb8389ee94422b25fb16da2e3ce4.gif

giphy.gif
    tumblr_no7poym4yU1qmrflko1_r2_500.gif
    e89c7b489394b70257d9d3a15679e325515ed347r1-370-200_00.gif
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Nice post, @RichardTheBruce!
    Thanks @CraigMooreOHMSS I meant to share this item I came across as well.

Mad Max - Motion Comic Part 1 (2:23)

Mad Max - Motion Comic Part 2 (2:21)
    I remember they released some comics around the release of Fury Road that were actually pretty cool.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 13,014
    I don't possess them @NickTwentyTwo, there were Vertigo comics plus a 5th story added when they were combined and released.

mad-max_fury-road-mad-max-1_variant2.jpg?w=1200

5637289.jpg

Yeah, weird, I had a bunch of them and then also a hardcover collection of them but I can't find them right now...
    I've got the TP of Mad Max FR. They're fine. They actually add a little content to the film, but nothing mandatory.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,689
    Sorry not to join in with your enthusiasm, and I may even have said it before (in this thread somewhere, possibly), but Fury Road was, for me, the most boring movie that I've seen in the last couple of decades. After fifteen and again after thirty minutes I seriously considered turning it off for sheer ennui, The only thing that kept me watching just this once was the fact that I'm too miserly not to give at least a chance to a movie I bought and paid for. At the end, I decided I should indeed have turned it off in the beginning. Dreadful and completely pointless film, far worse than any of the other three. No desire to revisit it at all. I'd even prefer ten viewings of DAD in a row.

PS: Just noticed my last rant was even on the same page, albeit from more than four years ago. I apologize, if necessary. Still, it shows my continued disdain for this particular movie.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Sorry not to join in with your enthusiasm, and I may even have said it before (in this thread somewhere, possibly), but Fury Road was, for me, the most boring movie that I've seen in the last couple of decades. After fifteen and again after thirty minutes I seriously considered turning it off for sheer ennui, The only thing that kept me watching just this once was the fact that I'm too miserly not to give at least a chance to a movie I bought and paid for. At the end, I decided I should indeed have turned it off in the beginning. Dreadful and completely pointless film, far worse than any of the other three. No desire to revisit it at all. I'd even prefer ten viewings of DAD in a row.

PS: Just noticed my last rant was even on the same page, albeit from more than four years ago. I apologize, if necessary. Still, it shows my continued disdain for this particular movie.

I can see loving Fury Road for the excellent assault on the senses that it is, but as a Mad Max movie? I bought it & watched a half hour, then turned it off. Next day I watched another half hour. Next day I watched the rest, liberally using the 'speed through this sh*t' button. Then I sold it to a used record place. I tried to like it, I really did.