Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    I was just going to quote Theron's comment from the the original source (the one the site above is using. That pretty much said it all. In another interview she said the stuff was taken out of proportion, which I'm sure it was, that happens all the time. (You could argue with somebody one day on a several month shoot, and it can become a case of not getting along at all in the media.) The message the wrap gift came with is very telling and sweet. :) There can be tensions on any work place occasionally, and usually it's not that big of a deal. Especially considering the circumstances of making that film even best buddies would likely have had arguments along the way. With each other, with other people, with the boss. And so they did. The director said he understood the circumstances were difficult for the actors. Hardy was apologizing to the director, too. And Hardy readily admits that he can be difficult. I think that's all kinda lovely, really. (It was interesting to watch Hardy still be all "I owe George an apology" etc. and Miller smiling and patting him on back/shoulder/arm as in everything is fine, and Hardy all serious and "but it's true" as in I still owe you. Aww.

It's interesting that people playing enemies on screen can be all "love him" and what not off screen (such as TDKR), and people playing allies (such as MMFR) can, um, get along well enough to be civil to each other at the end of it. :D But really, I fully understand this one was a difficult shoot and I don't blame them, and it seems everything got sorted. They're colleagues, and apparently respect each other. They don't need to love each other.

So, to get back to what I was saying earlier, that really was a lovely relationship to watch on screen (and as a male-female relationship in an action movie it was pretty unique, I can't think of anything similar). Whatever may have happened off screen clearly didn't harm the on screen relationship - might have even made it easier to portray, and the two actors maybe reached similar kind of respect for each other as the characters did.

smitty wrote: »
    Interesting text in that DM interview. Although I never trust the DM, it still does sound like Hardy, and it's why I like him. Apart from being a very good actor, he's unpretentious and honest. Some of these 5' 4" so called action stars like Downey and Renner just strut and brag about being action guys, ignoring the fact that all of their stunts are being done by stunt men with 100 times their guts and none of their perks. Actors can be such phoneys but Hardy seems genuine. He would make a great Bond, but his growing success and perhaps his age would seem to take him out of contention. In MM, he has his own Bond.

Oh, never trust the tabloids. People like these actors don't give interviews to rags like that, so why even bother reading their pick-a-quote-here-and-there versions? I always recommend going, instead, to the original sources the tabloids and various gossip/celebrity sites are using. They can't just steal stuff so they have to mention where their quotes are selected from. ;) (Both those sites used quotes from long Esquire magazine articles.)

I agree Hardy is pretty special. An interesting personality.

Dimi, I like the score a lot, and it fit the movie perfectly. I've been listening to it afterwards as well.

I need to see the movie again soon.

• edited May 2015 Posts: 5,767
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    So how does everyone feel about the score? I have to say, with the drums and guitars literally seen in the film, I paid even closer attention to the music than I normally would. I think the score is just great; very energetic, pulsating and exciting, much like the movie itself.
    I agree. Much like the scores from the first two films, I´m not sure I´m going to listen to it seperately, but in the context of the film, it´s superb.

Tuulia wrote: »
    So, to get back to what I was saying earlier, that really was a lovely relationship to watch on screen (and as a male-female relationship in an action movie it was pretty unique, I can't think of anything similar). Whatever may have happened off screen clearly didn't harm the on screen relationship - might have even made it easier to portray, and the two actors maybe reached similar kind of respect for each other as the characters did.
    Very much my thoughts too. I remember thinking while in the cinema, hey, so often it is said of protagonists that there´s no chemistry between them, and then there were those rumours about Theron and Hardy not getting along properly, but onscreen they spark off each other so wonderfully!

One thing that really stuck in my mind long after I saw this was what an incredibly difficult film this must have been to create, and how terrific that it all came together so brilliantly. The dangerous live action work, the heat, the location, the endless battles to get it into production, then the long post production, it just must have been hell for all of them, but particular the master of it all, Miller. All the actors owe him as he put a film on their resumes they will be proud of for the rest of their careers. .
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    George Miller has hinted that the Blu Ray of 'Fury Road' could have a version of the film in black and white... and silent (no sound other than the soundtrack).
    George Miller has hinted that the Blu Ray of 'Fury Road' could have a version of the film in black and white... and silent (no sound other than the soundtrack).

I wouldn't say he hinted, I thought he announced it to be so. :)

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I was reading something about that and because it was on a forum, I thought the person was messing with me. If this happens, it'll be the greatest thing ever. I'm looking to buy the biggest deluxe edition of this film on blu-ray once it releases.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I was reading something about that and because it was on a forum, I thought the person was messing with me. If this happens, it'll be the greatest thing ever. I'm looking to buy the biggest deluxe edition of this film on blu-ray once it releases.
    Yes, that sounds reasonable, I think I´ll do the same.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The relationship between Max and Furiosa in this film reminds me of the one between Bond and Camille.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The relationship between Max and Furiosa in this film reminds me of the one between Bond and Camille.

That's a very great comparison: there's a respect between the two, they can both handle themselves, and they work together to achieve a different goal.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The comparison holds up but Furiosa, at least in my humble opinion, is the far better written character.
    Dimi, I agree that Furiosa is written better. I actually had to really think how those relationships are similar, since that hadn't even occurred to me and wasn't at all obvious to me even when mentioned. Ok, there are some similarities, but still, I wouldn't really compare.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The comparison holds up but Furiosa, at least in my humble opinion, is the far better written character.

Absolutely. She is a much more compelling character, played by a better actress, in a much better film.

An awesome MMFR review (written by a woman born with a missing limb similar to Furiosa's left arm):

http://nospockdasgay.tumblr.com/post/119381643753/my-reaction-to-mad-max-fury-road-and-the-utter
    Thats an interesting link, thanks. It did cross my mind that if you are a budding actor , actress who is missing a limb, what are the implications of CGI ?, would we see the same in reverse? Interesting moral issue but drifting off topic
    @patb, that's an interesting question actually. I don't think, technically, that it would be all that difficult...
    mad-max-fury-road-trailer-2-hd.jpg

Even better - and clearly shorter, that couldn't possibly have been 2 hours - the second time... I was NOT having a lovely day, and I was thinking "I so need this now" - and indeed I was in a great mood afterwards. Excellent therapy. :P
    Just seeing that shot where Max emerges from the sand almost brings me to tears. That scene is so brilliantly shot. Just amazing.
    It is beautiful, isn't it.

Damn, I want to see that movie again...
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 5,767

Well, I can only recommend you to go again. I went 5 times so far, and it was well worth it so far.

boldfinger wrote: »

Well, I can only recommend you to go again. I went 5 times so far, and it was well worth it so far.

I will definitely go at least the third time. :)

It felt like maybe an hour the second time, so... did it feel like it was over in 15 minutes the 5th time? ;)

It felt like maybe an hour the second time, so... did it feel like it was over in 15 minutes the 5th time? ;)
    Yes, which makes you want to go again even sooner ;-P.
    No, actually, I was able to see new things every time I went. There´s so much stuff in this movie on so many levels, my little brain wasn´t able to compute everything at once ;-). I can assure you though that the action doesn´t get blunt with many viewings, quite the opposite.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't know anything about this series or the folklore (I've never watched any of the old ones).

However, I did see the Mad Max Fury Road and was completely blown away by the spectacle that unfolded on the screen. An amazing visual treat and very well acted and executed by all concerned. I'll get a hold of the old ones and watch them soon. A pity that Mel couldn't make a cameo (forgiveness seems to be in short supply in Hollywood).
    bondjames wrote: »
    A pity that Mel couldn't make a cameo (forgiveness seems to be in short supply in Hollywood).
    I wouldn't have him play an old Max (considering that Tom Hardy is very much Max, but for sure doesn't channel Mel), but a cameo in which Mel would have been recognizable only on second sight would have been cool.

No, actually, I was able to see new things every time I went. There´s so much stuff in this movie on so many levels, my little brain wasn´t able to compute everything at once ;-). I can assure you though that the action doesn´t get blunt with many viewings, quite the opposite.

Ah, good. B-) I think there's too much all sorts of stuff and details for anybody's brain to take it all in on just one viewing. Not that it was hard to follow, it was not, but it's just so, so... well, rich in so many ways.
    I don't know anything about this series or the folklore (I've never watched any of the old ones).

However, I did see the Mad Max Fury Road and was completely blown away by the spectacle that unfolded on the screen. An amazing visual treat and very well acted and executed by all concerned. I'll get a hold of the old ones and watch them soon. A pity that Mel couldn't make a cameo (forgiveness seems to be in short supply in Hollywood).

Good to hear you enjoyed the experience. :)

I don't think being familiar with the original films is in any way needed to appreciate and enjoy and understand Fury Road. I have seen parts 2 and 3, but that was a long time ago (probably 80s), so I don't remember a damned thing what happened in them or what I thought of them. The first Mad Max was shown on tv for the first time here earlier this year and I tried to watch it, but didn't like it at all and gave up before even finishing it. So I didn't go see MMFR because of those movies at all. And I think it's wonderful.

Btw, regarding Mel Gibson. Can someone fill me in on what exactly are his presumed crimes against humanity? I know he said some stupid shit when stopped by the police while driving under the influence. What else? It can't be just that, surely?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 10,588

Ah, good. B-) I think there's too much all sorts of stuff and details for anybody's brain to take it all in on just one viewing. Not that it was hard to follow, it was not, but it's just so, so... well, rich in so many ways.

Good to hear you enjoyed the experience. :)

I don't think being familiar with the original films is in any way needed to appreciate and enjoy and understand Fury Road. I have seen parts 2 and 3, but that was a long time ago (probably 80s), so I don't remember a damned thing what happened in them or what I thought of them. The first Mad Max was shown on tv for the first time here earlier this year and I tried to watch it, but didn't like it at all and gave up before even finishing it. So I didn't go see MMFR because of those movies at all. And I think it's wonderful.

Btw, regarding Mel Gibson. Can someone fill me in on what exactly are his presumed crimes against humanity? I know he said some stupid shit when stopped by the police while driving under the influence. What else? It can't be just that, surely?

He's been accused of homophobia, antisemitism, and his film Passion of the Christ raised a lot of controversy. He was also charged with domestic violence.
    jake24 wrote: »
    He's been accused of homophobia, antisemitism, and his film Passion of the Christ raised a lot of controversy. He was also charged with domestic violence.

I haven't seen that movie, and can't remember what the controversy was exactly, but surely that didn't destroy his career and lead him to be shunned by Hollywood? I know of the drunken comments made when stopped for DUI, but that was nothing really (drunk driving yes, but stupid comments when drunk? they were not that serious). And then there were some edited tapes. Being accused of something is not the same as being guilty and I'm not aware of proof. People like George Miller, Jodie Foster, Whoopi Goldberg, Robert Downey Jr. and Gary Oldman have tried to speak on his behalf. To no avail. I'm honestly confused. So he has had problems with alcoholism, but if that was enough to ban people in Hollywood, they'd have to ban a lot of people. I've just read his wikipedia page to try and understand, but... I get that he's not without any blame, but the reaction seems extreme to me. I must be missing something. People have a bigger problem with Gibson than they do with Polanski, for instance, and I don't get it. And I'm not a Mel Gibson fan at all, just a confused movie fan.

As a kid I absolutely loved this Australian television series: The Girl From Tomorrow. One of the bad guys in it is played by actor John Howard.

tve67178-19920105-2903.jpg

I loved him as the People Eater in Fury Road. The guy had his nipples pierced for fury's sake! :D
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 12,837
    So he has had problems with alcoholism, but if that was enough to ban people in Hollywood, they'd have to ban a lot of people

The reason he's still blacklisted, despite apologizing and trying to move on (which is all he can do really, what more can be expected of him?) is because of his anti semetic comments. He pissed off the Jews, who basically run Hollywood, I understand that a lot of Jewish people are studio executives, etc, powerful people; so an RDJ style comeback is pretty much impossible for him. He might get one or two big roles for certain big projects (like Expendables 3, Stallone has enough money and power to cast who he likes really) but his big leading man/director days are pretty much behind him. If he is in a lead role now, it'll likely be a small direct to dvd/limited theatrical release film, like Get The Gringo, a film he did a couple of years ago.

To be fair he does seem like a pretty nasty piece of work, and I say that as a fan of his films. He has said some horrible stuff and there was a domestic violence case with his ex (the mother of Timothy Dalton's kid, so there's a Bond link for there), where iirc a voicemail was given as evidence where he used the N word a lot and said if she got raped it'd be her own fault. But it seems kinda unfair that other actors have done/said similar things and been able to make comebacks while he can't. Although I guess it's his own fault at the end of the day.
    @thelivingroyale, well, according to the wikipedia article (I'm not interested enough to spend time and do real proper research, I'm afraid) "forensic experts have questioned the validity of some of the tapes" and Gibson himself claims they were edited. So there's that... and various other stuff, which suggest that he may not be as bad as painted out in public. It's also not like everyone agrees he's an a-hole, like I mentioned some very public figures have defended him and say he's actually a good guy. I'm very, very reluctant to just condemn anyone easily - even people I have no particular interest in or fondness for, like him. People say crap when they're drunk, or are going through some shitty stuff in life and are stressed - that doesn't make them bad people. He might be, or not. I don't know enough about the guy or various allegations against him to be anywhere near certain either way. But, for instance, Mark Wahlberg doesn't seem to be in Hollywood's bad books. Or Polanski. Or Woody Allen. It's interesting how it goes. Maybe it really comes down to the perceived antisemitism and nothing else matters that much.