Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• edited May 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Shardlake, I think it was stated somewhere that the film was 80% practical, with the rest being used to either enhance a scene or stretch out the depth of a locale.

CG is used as it should be used IMO : to remove the safety rigs and nets from the image. You don't have CG avatars doing weird movements, you have only stuntmen or actors behaving in a realistic manner, well, because they're really there. And you protect them more than in the old days.

The difference can be summarized in SF elevator scene : first, Craig is really doing the jump, most probably with a safety rig and safety mattresses, removed by CG. And after, a CG Bond...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    @Creasy47, to me that is the way to make a big blockbuster use the SFX to enhance it not take over and Fury Road certainly did that, the fact that I wasn't really much a fan of the original films I'm certainly ready for more films to follow.

It's to expensive to catch again on the big screen but I'll certainly buying the Blu ray to add to it's haul, SPECTRE and The Force Awakens will have to go some to top this.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,474
    ...and a CG Patrice falling from the window, even though we had a practical shot of someone falling in one of the trailers...but don't get me started on that!

Yes, the way Miller used CG in the movie is how it should be: extend locations beyond how big they are, remove harnesses, safety rigs, wires, etc.

@Shardlake, I look forward to owning 'Fury Road' on blu-ray. In fact, they've already announced a Mad Max bundle containing all four films on blu-ray. I'll probably pick that up once 'Fury Road' is released, have myself a nice marathon of all of them. I can't imagine how great it's going to look in such a high quality, either.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just watching my new blu ray of Thunderdome and WOW, it's like a completely NEW movie! The sad DVD did it a supreme injustice.
    I have to state again how much I love the way the original trilogy is so different film to film. =D>
    @chrisisall, I'm dying to watch all of them in blu-ray quality, but I really want to be patient enough to wait for that four film set once 'Fury Road' is released!
    @chrisisall, I'm dying to watch all of them in blu-ray quality, but I really want to be patient enough to wait for that four film set once 'Fury Road' is released!
    LOL, patience is not my virtue.

chrisisall wrote: »
    LOL, patience is not my virtue.

Nor is it mine. But I keep telling myself that if I don't buy them all now, then I'll have one hell of a great purchase coming my way in a few months.
    I keep telling myself that if I don't buy them all now, then I'll have one hell of a great purchase coming my way in a few months.
    I reckon you'll get yourself a bargain.
    :))
    @chrisisall, *cut to a few days from now, and I'm posting in the 'The Last Movie You Bought' thread, listing the first three Mad Max films*. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looking forward to Mad Max:The Wasteland. I am pretty sure it will be made.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 4,600
    Saw it last night, remarkable experience, hardly time to breath re the action, sooo well directed, lovely angles, light, landscapes, edits etc , good performances all around with NH the stand out for me but I think the plot/structure lets it down (wont go into detail), plus it lacked a little humour IMHO (MM 2 had some very dark humour) unless it went over my head. not sure how many times I would want to see it...but an amazing 2 hours. We can discuss in more detail once we have all seen it and dont worry re spoilers
    PS just seen on IMDB that someone claims it has "zero replay value" so I am not the only one.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    ^^ I'm trying to figure out what problem you saw in the structure...
    It certainly has replay value for me. (Haven't seen it the 2nd time yet, but really, really want to. Soon...) And humor, too - some of it very understated as was some of the acting (definitely the two leads - both totally awesome), but I liked it that way - no typical jokey lines that seem to be sort of required in action movies nowadays and often feel just silly or forced (most of the Marvel stuff for instance). It's obviously a matter of taste, though. I was giggling at times and grinning much of the rest of the time... :D

Maybe I'll watch Happy Feet tonight... ;)
    We cant discuss it openly, unfair to those who have not seen it, give it a couple of weeks, not sure what the fair thing is re discussing movies that have only been out a few days.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Hardy I thought did an great job of conveying emotion and being badass despite getting hardly any dialogue but I thought his Aussie accent was dodgy so Mel Gibson still owns the role for me. It was always going to be a challenge topping Mel though and Hardy still did a good job.

The real stars of the film though, in my opinion were Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult. Theron was badass and gave an amazing, powerful performance (I could even forgive her using her American accent, something I struggled to get past with Tina Turner in Thunderdome). Nicholas Hoult was great too, what I really liked about this film is how with his character, they took one of the usual Mad Max insane psychopath raider types and humanized him. He did a very good job and he had what was probably the funniest line in the film ("you can ask for more than just a jacket").

Need to watch it again to see where it stands. I think it's better than the first one and Thunderdome, and it's certainly more visually impressive than Road Warrior (bigger budget and modern film making means better action, sets, etc) but I think Road Warrior might have worked better, if that makes sense? Sort of flowed better, the story felt more natural (Max going from drifter looking out for himself to hero fighting off the bad guys in Fury Road felt kinda rushed to me, he had a vision then suddenly went back, whereas in Road Warrior, which follows the same basic structure, his transition felt more natural). But then Fury Road had a better villain and it felt like there was much more to the world in this one, the bigger budget really allowed Miller to go all out and properly unleash his vision. Not a hundred percent sure, but at the moment I think my ranking would be

1) The Road Warrior/Fury Road (Gibson>Hardy, and Road Warrior's story was better, but Fury Road was just so breathtaking, the action was amazing, the villain was great and the supporting cast were great, and the whole film was just so insane. Overall, at the moment, I think it balances out to a tie).

2) Mad Max

3) Beyond Thunderdome

patb wrote: »
    We cant discuss it openly, unfair to those who have not seen it, give it a couple of weeks, not sure what the fair thing is re discussing movies that have only been out a few days.

Of course we can't. That's why I didn't ask what you meant. :)

Personally I never normally beforehand, with any movie, read longer reviews here or anywhere or watch any featurettes/making of stuff or movie clips (beyond trailers, though I often try to avoid them, too) or read/watch interviews with actors/director etc. If I want to see a movie I rather know as little about it in advance as possible (as a general rule - there are exceptions). I've seen people for instance watch interviews and read comments on YT and then complain about spoilers... which I think is ridiculous. Some self-control doesn't hurt... But I still wouldn't dare describe scenes or plot stuff here at this point in order to discuss it. Despite the fact that I wouldn't be reading a thread like this myself after the film's release until I had seen it. I don't know what the guidelines on that are here...?

I'll need to watch Gibson's Max again before making any comparisons, I barely remember, it's been ages. But at least at the time (sometime last millenium) I didn't think "brilliant" which is what I did with Hardy. I think it's hard in a way for those who love the original trio of films and Gibson in them. He was never one of my fave actors (not that I dislike him, either), and Hardy is. I certainly don't love my favorite actors in everything - in some ways I'm probably more critical - but it does help to be fond of the actor, too. PTSD symptoms and having tough time speaking at all (possibly after years of not having spoken much) were perfect for the character and I loved that both leads could express so much without talking much.

As for the accents... not being a native speaker I don't pay that much attention and they rarely bother me. But an accent is not a fixed thing. An environment affects it. Normally that's other people, and how they speak, of course - one's accent would become more like that of the people around them... unless one would make an effort to retain their own accent or to otherwise speak differently from those around them ( - did Furiosa do that?). When a person spends most of their time away from people, like Max, then that has an effect, too. If you barely speak or spend time with people for years your accent has probably changed anyway. That would fit Hardy's Max, right? Not that he was trying to imitate Gibson, anyway, of course, and the character is written differently from what I understand, different times and all that... (like I said my memory is vague but it fits to what many people have said of the old Max compared to the new one).
    This thread has been revitalized because of the release of 'Fury Road.' I never really took spoilers into consideration, so if I did spoil anything for someone perusing the thread, I apologize. I didn't really think about it, and I'm usually the first person to complain about spoilers!
    @Creasy47 - well, that's why I asked actually: is it ok to discuss anything or not? I thought maybe not yet, but on the other hand I think it should be, because if people insist on reading articles, reviews, discussion about movies after their release, then isn't it their own responsibility? What are people supposed to discuss here now that the movie is out? If somebody wants to remain spoiler-free before having a chance to see it (which is sensible) then why do they keep reading this thread? Just asking what can or cannot be discussed and how people feel about it.

Sometimes some movies are released months later in some countries than others, so there will always be a problem if people don't take responsibility of what they choose to read themselves. Blurting out plot twists or something like could always be a spoiler and should probably be in spoiler tags even when writing reviews and such years later. Any spoilers on movies not even out yet are another matter as well, of course.
    @Tuulia, I just checked on IMDB and today is the final release date for the film in all countries, as it is premiering in Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Poland. Seeing as it's now out in all countries, then it's fair game to talk about it. Even if someone hasn't had the chance to go out and see it, then they shouldn't be checking this thread in the first place, as it covers the first film to present day.
    WARNING! FROM HERE ON OUT FURY ROAD WILL BE DISCUSSED FREELY AND IN SPOILERISH DETAIL. ANY WHO HAVE NOT SEEN IT AND DO NOT WISH TO FIND OUT TOO MUCH PLEASE RETURN TO THIS THREAD AFTER YOU'VE HAD THE CHANCE TO SEE IT YOURSELF.
    (this includes me, btw. I'm seeing it asap)

Thanks, @Creasy47 and @chrisisall. All fair then. :)

In general though... I don't think a movie should even have to be out everywhere, since sometimes release dates are months later in some places... and movies arrive much later in smaller towns, and so on. I think the don't-read-the-thread-if-you-want-to avoid-spoilers should apply right away - speaking of general release, obviously, not some obscure festival showing very few people have an opportunity to see. If someone actually attends places like Berlinale or Cannes etc. then maybe it's wise to not prattle on about plots and stuff without inhibitions if the movie is not on general release. ;)

Soooo, @patb, what problem did you think there was with the structure? :)
    @Tuulia, you'd think it was obvious, I only posted that to show that there's no way someone technically couldn't have seen the film by now (i.e. the film not having been released in a certain country). I agree, though, if it's out and there's a thread on it, avoid it if you truly don't want to read any spoilers.

EDIT: Also, here's eight cool bits of information from the filming of 'Mad Max: Fury Road':

http://www.slashfilm.com/fury-road-trivia/
    They escape the evil dictator to go to a place that it turns out isn't there any more. So they decide to go back to the original place that they were trying to get away from. (killing him along the way). As far as plots go, its thin and very linear with IMHO, much more back story re the motivations of the central characters. Max hardly says anything at all so his relationship with the female lead does not really develop. Its just a little strange.
    As with Mad Max 2, its basically a Western and nothing wrong with that but it lacks depth IMHO and I cant see it creating the long term affection that the original two have.
    @patb, did you really show up to 'Fury Road' in hopes of seeing lots of backstory and character development? That might've been your downfall with the film. This film was marketed as having balls-to-the-wall, insane and never-before-seen amounts of action, carnage, rage, and explosions. Nothing about any of the promotional footage screamed 'character development' or 'intricate plot details' to me.
    I agree, what you see is what you you get and its a sugar rush of wonderfully shot and staged violence, cant fault it for that. But you need a minimum of plot and emotional investment in the characters for a movie to succeed in the long term.
    @patb, which I thought the film delivered wonderfully. One of the last places of civilization is run by a madman who controls the water supply so he can control the people. Him and his army of goons give chase when he realizes that his wives have been kidnapped, taken away from being his "property" any longer. Max and Imperator Furiosa, two wasteland survivors, fortunately meet and team up to escape and find a safe haven. Obviously that doesn't occur, so they realize that they'll forever be trap in a large expanse of nothingness unless they go all the way back the way they came to take over what could be one of the last hideouts on the planet while it isn't being guarded. That's a minimum of plot, and I'd say it's up to the viewer to invest and connect enough with Max (who lost his family) and Furiosa (who is one of the only people left who is out to do any good).
    We will have to agree to disagree but someone on another forum pointed to Terminator 2 as a movie that is packed with amazing stunts and action and yet still finds time to slow the pace and develop the characters..to a point where the audience actually really ends up having an emotional connection with a robot and, knowing this, exploits it fully with an iconic ending. (Cameron really trusted the script to build this up so the climax really "paid off") T2 has become a modern sci fi classic and I just cant see that with Fury Road. You can have 120 minutes of amazing car crashes but without characters that the audience care about, its still just 120 minutes of car crashes.
    @patb, well it's hard to argue that because T2 is a perfect film. ;)

I don't feel like there's any problem with that, though. 'Mad Max: Fury Road' seems like a pure genre film for me, and that's totally okay. I know that when I buy the film on blu-ray and put it into my PS4 and load it up and start playing it that I'm going to get some of the most insane, wackiest action sequences I've ever seen. Not only that, they'll be almost nonstop, filled with little bits of dry humor here and there, and it'll all be topped off with some really freaky and bizarre characters. That's fine with me. If I want something deeper, that's what a film like T2 is for.

...but seriously, T2 is perfection, haha.
    patb wrote: »
    I agree, what you see is what you you get and its a sugar rush of wonderfully shot and staged violence, cant fault it for that. But you need a minimum of plot and emotional investment in the characters for a movie to succeed in the long term.

Agree and disagree. I think there is definitely a plot as @Creasy47 notes above. It was also pretty clear as the movie developed that Furiosa and the wives were heroines and I don't know how you could watch the film unroll without having some kind of "emotional investment" that they, and MM, survived, free. I will give perhaps a bit on MM's character and the Citadel. There are tons who will see this movie who never saw the first 3 films, and it might have helped their sense of what was going on if MM's back story and the Citadel's had a small, quick bit of exposition in the very beginning. Maybe a brief text scroll at the very beginning, or some bit of dialogue that filled the audience in a bit. Still I loved the film and thought it was a brilliant adrenalin rush. I also thought the acting, including Hardy, were excellent.

...but seriously, T2 is perfection, haha.

+1.