Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    So everyone loved it, right? :D I'm now listening to the soundtrack with headphones on, and just grinning. I think I need to go and see it again.
    Clarey writes that he is concerned "men in America and around the world are going to be duped by explosions, fire tornadoes, and desert raiders into seeing what is guaranteed to be nothing more than feminist propaganda, while at the same time being insulted AND tricked into viewing a piece of American culture ruined and rewritten right in front of their very eyes."

Holy crap. Some moron is concerned that men will accidentally and against their will see a movie where women are not pushed to the sidelines, nor portrayed as inferior and less important as is mostly the case in movies - and he calls that feminist "propaganda"? As opposed to the normal macho propaganda I suppose? Kinda hilarious in its stupidity. And pathetic that equality is so threatening. I sure hope you guys didn't feel "duped"... Bloody hell... 8-|
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,257
    I plan on seeing tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it because I have yet to hear anyone say it wasn't any good.

ETA:

I'm watching the original Mad Max now and I'm going to start Road Warrior right after.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Is the trilogy as a whole worth checking out? I've only seen the first (loved it) and bits and pieces of the second (loved what I saw), but I hear the third film is corny, yet enjoyable, if you watch it for what it's worth.

And yes, I loved 'Fury Road' and am already dying to watch it again. :)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Is the trilogy as a whole worth checking out? I've only seen the first (loved it) and bits and pieces of the second (loved what I saw), but I hear the third film is corny, yet enjoyable, if you watch it for what it's worth.

The second one is a cinematical masterpiece, yes you should check it out in its entirety.
    The third one isn't bad by any means, its character development is astounding, it's got great set pieces, and it's got one of the best music scores ever made for a film. But after the visceral and scary shit you watched in the first two movies, the third one might feel slow and re-hashed in some places. It's not as furious as Fury Road. But it has Angry Anderson.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    boldfinger wrote: »
    The second one is a cinematical masterpiece, yes you should check it out in its entirety.
    The third one isn't bad by any means, its character development is astounding, it's got great set pieces, and it's got one of the best music scores ever made for a film. But after the visceral and scary shit you watched in the first two movies, the third one might feel slow and re-hashed in some places.
    I'd agree with this assessment. I found the third a pleasant way to end Max's story. I like that each of them had an entirely different feel.
    Someone pointed out how logically and wonderfully the world of Max has transformed over the years. In the first film, society is still connected and moving, even if things are in a bit of chaos. Fast forward to 'Fury Road,' and there's just nothing left but desert almost.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Fury Road felt a lot like George Millers ultimate vision, what he always Mad Max to be, he just didn't have the money, technology or resources to make it until now. It's so well realized and well crafted. It's great because it's very much in the spirit of the old movies, it's just on a bigger scale.
    Someone pointed out how logically and wonderfully the world of Max has transformed over the years. In the first film, society is still connected and moving, even if things are in a bit of chaos. Fast forward to 'Fury Road,' and there's just nothing left but desert almost.

Well Fury Road is a reboot (which I think works well, since The Road Warrior is sort of a mythical figure, it makes sense that there are different versions of his legend), it changes Max's backstory and doesn't really fit in chronologically with the original trilogy but yeah I think that applies pretty well to the first three films.

In the first one society is on the brink of collapse with gangs of outlaws roming Australia but things haven't fallen apart just yet, there are still normal communities and still a police force. Then in The Road Warrior things have pretty much fallen apart now that petrol has run out. People trying to live peaceful lives have been forced live in fortified compounds, pretty much everybody carries weapons, vicious gangs roam the desert and nobody really trusts anybody. People will steal and kill to survive, it's become every man for themselves. In Thunderdome there are hints of a society again, people have sort of begun to rebuild things and there are communities like bartertown which are even beginning to create energy sources but it's almost like the dark ages. It's very medieval (gladiator fights, exile, etc).
    @thelivingroyale, 'Fury Road' isn't a reboot, but more of a revisiting. It's pretty much like a Bond film when a new actor takes over playing 007 (except for CR, of course).
    @Creasy47 Yeah I've heard them say that but it is a reboot really. The backstory of Max has changed (in the first film he had a son, in this one it's a daughter) and the backstory of the world has changed (the water wars were never mentioned in the original trilogy). It doesn't fit in chronologically with the other movies at all either (the Interceptor being destroyed means it can't be set before or after The Road Warrior, or after Thunderdome unless he somehow came across a new one). It's not really the same as when a new Bond actor took over pre CR because they were sequels, Bond's backstory remained the same and things pretty much stayed in the same continuity (eg- Moore visiting Tracy's grave).

As I said, I think the whole legend idea works really well. Max has always been presented as a mythical figure. Like in The Road Warrior you have the kid, now grown up, telling the story of The Road Warrior, and in Thunderdome you have one of the kids telling the story of the man who saved them at the end. This works well I think because then you have different versions of the myth, hence why there are familiar elements used differently (Max's family being killed but having a son in the first film and a daughter in Fury Road, The Interceptor is destroyed in Road Warrior and again in Fury Road, the helicopter pilot features in Road Warrior and becomes Max's ally by the end but there's another pilot played by the same actor in Thunderdome and he seemingly doesn't even know Max and robs him): they're different versions of the same story, the legend/myth of The Road Warrior, being spread around post apocalyptic Australia in the same way that the story of Robin Hood was spread around medieval England: same basic elements but different, contradictory stories because it's been spread around by different people.

It's just a fan theory of mine but I think it works well and I'm sticking to it.
    It's just a fan theory but I think it works well and I'm sticking to it.
    Different peoples member it differently to keep it straight; that's the truth of it.

@thelivingroyale that's a perfect reasoning there.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It's just a fan theory but I think it works well and I'm sticking to it.
    Different peoples member it differently to keep it straight; that's the truth of it.

@thelivingroyale that's a perfect reasoning there.

Exactly. It's sort of a legend, the same story (the story of The Road Warrior) but it changes over time as it's spread around and told by different people. Like I said, it's like an apocalyptic Robin Hood. When that story was first being spread around England there were lots of different versions of it (some had him as a noble that was robbed of his fortune while others told different stories), but the basic idea was still the same: he has a bow and arrow, he robs the rich and gives to the poor. Same with Mad Max, he's a drifter roaming the wasteland post apocalypse, he's lost his family, he drives an Interceptor and often ends up helping people he comes across, but there are different versions of this story.

I forgot to add, more evidence for the legend idea: in all the movies, the cause of the Apocalypse seems to change. Running out of petrol in The Road Warrior, Nuclear War in Thunderdome, Water Wars in Fury Road, etc. That's because, generations on, nobody can really remember what caused society to collapse, so it changes in each film. Different versions/interpretations of the same basic story.
    I'm just going off of the fact that George Miller said that it isn't a reboot, but a revisit. ;)
    I'm just going off of the fact that George Miller said that it isn't a reboot, but a revisit. ;)

I get what he means but I think it's the same thing really. It isn't a reboot in the sense that it's a different take on it: it's very much in the spirit of the old movies, it doesn't change the tone or formula or anything drastically. But when you change the continuity that drastically, I think it's classed as a reboot. But then each film has been a reboot in a way, even the ones that are more connected change things. Continuity between the films has never been great which is why I think the whole myth/legend idea I wrote about above is the best way of explaining it.
    The feral kid remembers stuff in the best detail I reckon.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I get what he means but I think it's the same thing really. It isn't a reboot in the sense that it's a different take on it: it's very much in the spirit of the old movies, it doesn't change the tone or formula or anything drastically. But when you change the continuity that drastically, I think it's classed as a reboot. But then each film has been a reboot in a way, even the ones that are more connected change things. Continuity between the films has never been great which is why I think the whole myth/legend idea I wrote about above is the best way of explaining it.

That's called a retcon.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I didn t realise at first that the guy who plays Immortan Joe also played The Toecutter in the original film.
    So Box-office wise the movie was apparently Pitch-slapped. [made me laugh anyhow]
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,533
    I didn t realise at first that the guy who plays Immortan Joe also played The Toecutter in the original film.

Neither did I until after the movie, and I saw that someone who played a character in 'The Road Warrior' also played a completely different character in 'Beyond Thunderdome', as well.

I loved Immortan Joe in the movie, he was very scary and imposing. Great villain.

EDIT: George Miller popped up on Twitter this weekend, stating there was more Max to come. However, the account hasn't been verified yet, so it could be false.

Also, (this was confirmed): Miller stated that he would like to title the next film 'Mad Max: The Wasteland.'

Thoughts?

http://www.slashfilm.com/george-miller-mad-max-fury-road-sequel/#more-294817
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 5,767
    EDIT: George Miller popped up on Twitter this weekend, stating there was more Max to come. However, the account hasn't been verified yet, so it could be false.

Also, (this was confirmed): Miller stated that he would like to title the next film 'Mad Max: The Wasteland.'

Thoughts?

http://www.slashfilm.com/george-miller-mad-max-fury-road-sequel/#more-294817
    Both Miller and Hardy were quoted before hinting at sequels. Hardy confirmed he had a contract over three more Mad Max films, the realisation of which would be depending on Fury Road´s b.o.. I can´t really imagine Fury Road not making money. I´m not sure how it started, but I´m sure word of mouth will bring it more viewers. I for one will do my best to make a sequel possible ;-).

The third one isn't bad by any means, its character development is astounding, it's got great set pieces, and it's got one of the best music scores ever made for a film. But after the visceral and scary shit you watched in the first two movies, the third one might feel slow and re-hashed in some places. It's not as furious as Fury Road. But it has Angry Anderson.
    Forget what I said about the third one, I just watched it again, it sucks. The basical idea of Max finding kind of a redemption saving the kids is a fascinating character development after the first two films, but the lack of fast-paced action makes the film a depressing dystopic experience, while the first two films, as scary as they were, sucked you in by their sheer viscerality and left you stunned, not depressed. In Thunderdome, the intricate story doesn´t work well together with the post-apocalyptic setting. And Mel Gibson´s 80s heavy metal hairdo doesn´t help either. The rating says it all, Thunderdome was an attempt at attracting younger audiences, which inevitably lead to a watered down affair.
    In a way, Fury Road is Thunderdome done right.

The Thunderdome soundtrack should be listened to on CD. The album has a much better mix than the film, and it leaves out the pop tracks.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Both Miller and Hardy were quoted before hinting at sequels. Hardy confirmed he had a contract over three more Mad Max films, the realisation of which would be depending on Fury Road´s b.o.. I can´t really imagine Fury Road not making money. I´m not sure how it started, but I´m sure word of mouth will bring it more viewers. I for one will do my best to make a sequel possible ;-).

The total budget, including marketing has been reported to be 210 million dollars, and worldwide opening weekend b.o. 109 million dollars... Monday included worldwide close to 116 million. Fingers crossed for good legs due to good word of mouth. A lot of people are also seeing it more than once, which can only help. :)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/05/18/5-lessons-from-mad-max-fury-roads-box-office-win/
    If I had some way to get back out to the theater, I would absolutely go and see it again. Definitely one of the best action movies I've ever seen, one of the best movies I've seen in a very, very, very long while, and it's most certainly one of those movies you have to check out in theaters.
    If I had some way to get back out to the theater, I would absolutely go and see it again. Definitely one of the best action movies I've ever seen, one of the best movies I've seen in a very, very, very long while, and it's most certainly one of those movies you have to check out in theaters.

I just need a day off.... :((
    I saw Fury Road last night, and it was much better than the old ones. Stunning visuals, thrilling score, non-stop action. Immortal Joe is a great MM villain, and there was a couple of laughs, mainly due to a guitar player.

Tom Hardy has signed a contract for three more Mad Max films, but it depends upon the revenues.

Agree 110%. It left me breathless too. Loved it. To me, Nolan is the poor man's Miller. None of Nolan's often over praised films are as great as MM. Amazing that he did this at 70. What a hell of a difficult film to make. It makes all the endless CGI in most current action films so 2nd rate by comparison. It will be hideous if MM doesn't clean up at the BO. Loved the guitar player too, so funny.
    chrisisall wrote: »

I just need a day off.... :((
    @Creasy, I suggest a few days. I watched it three times so far, and it only gets better and better. There´s so much action, story, emotion and art in it that my little brain couldn´t take half of it the first time.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Somebody did a fun, music, mash-up. New movie/Classic song

just booked ticket for tonight, really looking forward to it
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rgbwt
    Always respect the great man's opinion
    The flamethrower guitar guy has a backstory and an official name: Coma the Doof Warrior. Seriously:

http://www.slashfilm.com/mad-max-doof-backstory/
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Mad Max Fury Road 2015

In a post apocalyptic future, road warrior Max (Hardy) ends up being plunged into reluctantly helping Furiosa (Theron) escape from Immortan Joe (Keays-Byrne) as she has stolen his breeding brides and is looking to return to her homeland that she was abducted from as a child. Joe and is maniacal army of war boys are soon in hot pursuit all sorts of vehicular mayhem ensues.

Considering I was of the age to have been exposed to the original series on VHS as it was at it's height in the 80's I must confess I've only seen the first 2 films once and the 3rd one passed me by. I never really was that drawn to them although in light of Fury Road I'd be curious to catch them to see how they compare.

Only until really recently I was interested in seeing this theatrically, the film had also had along gestation period and release date changes that you'd be forgiven for thinking this might turn out a stinker. The trailers had intrigued me I guess but the cinema is so expensive these days that it has to be something really good to get me parting with my money but boy was I not disappointed.

The problem with allot of relaunches is that the director is usually a fan of the previous films and promises to bring something of the original spirit but then ends up shatting all over it's legacy. Though as we've got George Miller the man who held the megaphone all the previous films the odds looked better than even.

Miller while no spring chicken these days and not actually what you'd call prolific has delivered one of the most exhilarating experiences on the big screen for sometime. While I'm sure cgi was employed it's not saturated and the practical effects and stunts speak for themselves. Miller's original Max the controversial Mel Gibson is obviously too old to fit into the role, he has lucked out with Tom Hardy, arguably one of the hottest actors on the planet at the moment as his new Max, a great character actor who inhabits the role but also capable of equipping himself to action Nolan's final Bat film has many problems but Hardy's physical presence and prowess certainly wasn't one of them.

He doesn't have a great deal to say but he certainly has plenty to do and he hits the ground running from the moment he appears. Much has been said about the female element of this film, some applauding and also criticising it for being a so called feminist action film. Charlize Theron Tom's co star pretty much shares the screen with him and is as equally formidable and impressive. It's somewhat refreshing and probably the most formidable female action icon since Ellen Ripley.

Keays-Byrne who played the toe cutter in the original Mad Max is fearsome as chief Immortan Joe. Nicholas Hoult also adds great support as Nox. Be warned though this is utterly bonkers but it keeps the spirit (that I can remember) from the originals and lets be honest if you are going to do this kind you can't hold back. Miller has put utter mayhem on the screen and the result will have you gripping your seat, the climax simply has to be seen to be believed. If you catch one film on the big screen this summer make sure it is this one as no other format will do it justice.

I'm no fan of 3D but have to say I can't see why you'd need to, the 2D version is enough like a roller coaster ride as it is. Book a ticket now and see what is likely to be one of the best films of the year, Sam, JJ it's over to you!

★★★★★
    @Shardlake, I think it was stated somewhere that the film was 80% practical, with the rest being used to either enhance a scene or stretch out the depth of a locale.

Also, my buddy (who I saw it with opening night) rewatched it this week in 3D and he said that it made no difference at all. So for anyone who sees this and is wondering how to watch it, I suggest 2D.

I'm happy that you liked it! The more people that see this, the more money it generates, and with that, the bigger chance we have of getting those sequels to happen.