Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Oh, all right. I'll see it.
    Mad Max Fury Road Legacy trailer.

I like their confidence, showing such great shots from the old movies and still making the shots from the new film look terrific next to them :-).

I think we could be seeing a comeback for 15/18 rated (R rated) blockbusters. I mean there was a time back in the 80s when all the big action films were R rated but I think since the 00s, studios seem to have become scared to spend a lot of money on R rated movies. Today's Hollywood blockbusters (usually superhero flicks) are almost always 12s. Shit, even the last Die Hard film had a 12a rating. We still get some 18's sure but most of the time they're only horror films, comedies and dull, low budget, unoriginal shaky cam infested sub Taken action films (although there are some exceptions, such as Dredd and Taken, two low budget R rated action films that were very good).

But now I think there's a chance for a comeback for R rated blockbusters. A couple of months ago we had Kingsman, a violent R rated film that had a fairly big budget (just googled it and it was about 80 million) that did really well at the box office. And now we have Fury Road, also R rated, with a budget of 150 million, which looks set to be another hit. I hope in the wake of the success of these films, we start seeing more R rated blockbusters. I mean kid friendly films are fine (I'm on a James Bond forum, it'd be hypocritical of me to say all 12's are terrible) but I'm a bit sick of every blockbuster being 12a rated. I'm looking forward to seeing an epic big budget blockbuster action film that's R rated for a change, and I hope it does well enough to inspire more.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Mad Max Fury Road Legacy trailer.

I like their confidence, showing such great shots from the old movies and still making the shots from the new film look terrific next to them :-).

That was really well done. I think this movie will have attracted lots of people who haven't seen the old ones so it's cool that they put this trailer together, showing the legacy of the series and hopefully inspiring people who haven't to watch the old films as well as this one.

I read that Tom Hardy is attached to three more Mad Max films so I hope he does well in the role. Not completely sold on him just yet, great actor but his accent in the trailers seems a little weird.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tom Hardy sure is becoming one of my favorite actors nowadays. Noticed him in Bronson and Layer Cake, then he blew me away in Inception and TDKR.
    I think we could be seeing a comeback for 15/18 rated (R rated) blockbusters. I mean there was a time back in the 80s when all the big action films were R rated but I think since the 00s, studios seem to have become scared to spend a lot of money on R rated movies. Today's Hollywood blockbusters (usually superhero flicks) are almost always 12s. Shit, even the last Die Hard film had a 12a rating. We still get some 18's sure but most of the time they're only horror films, comedies and dull, low budget, unoriginal shaky cam infested sub Taken action films (although there are some exceptions, such as Dredd and Taken, two low budget R rated action films that were very good).

But now I think there's a chance for a comeback for R rated blockbusters. A couple of months ago we had Kingsman, a violent R rated film that had a fairly big budget (just googled it and it was about 80 million) that did really well at the box office. And now we have Fury Road, also R rated, with a budget of 150 million, which looks set to be another hit. I hope in the wake of the success of these films, we start seeing more R rated blockbusters. I mean kid friendly films are fine (I'm on a James Bond forum, it'd be hypocritical of me to say all 12's are terrible) but I'm a bit sick of every blockbuster being 12a rated. I'm looking forward to seeing an epic big budget blockbuster action film that's R rated for a change, and I hope it does well enough to inspire more.
    While believing that an atmosphere that is pleasing to audiences older than 25 can absolutely be done in a PG12 movie, I was immensely relieved when I saw that the trailer was rated R :-).

I read that Tom Hardy is attached to three more Mad Max films so I hope he does well in the role. Not completely sold on him just yet, great actor but his accent in the trailers seems a little weird.[/quote]Hardy apparently signed a contract for three more, but he said it all depends on the success of this one.
    I don´t mind his accent at all, I think he sounds great in the trailer.

Tom Hardy sure is becoming one of my favorite actors nowadays. Noticed him in Bronson and Layer Cake, then he blew me away in Inception and TDKR.
    Incidentally, I just watched The Drop again, which I highly recommend.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It's on my watchlist, @boldfinger.
    One thing is for sure already: This film has the best trailers any film had in ages. I saw the latest trailer last night at the cinema, and it was so much more powerful than on my pc screen! The rest of the audience seems to have felt the same. While the lady I went with to see Age of Ultron constantly muttered that she wouldn´t stand seeing such a creepy film, all the guys were totally mesmerized by the trailer :-).
    A review is up on Den of Geek and the new Mad Max movie sounds very good indeed....

Mad Max: Fury Road review
    The road warrior returns in mind-blowing fashion in the stunning Mad Max: Fury Road starring Tom Hardy.

When we come across Max Rockatansky (Tom Hardy) in Mad Max: Fury Road, the fourth film in director/co-writer George Miller’s brilliantly insane post-apocalyptic franchise, he’s standing on a cliff next to his Interceptor, alone as always, contemplating both the vast, empty plain below and, it is hinted, the ruins and ghosts of his past. But the brief moment of relative peace doesn’t last long: pursued by mutant hordes, he is soon captured and brought to the feudal environs of the Citadel, a monstrous enclave built into a mountain and ruled by Immortan Joe (Hugh Keas-Byrne), who controls possibly the only supply of fresh water left in what used to be Australia.

Initially stuck with needles so he can be used as a human “bloodbag,” Max soon finds himself not just escaping, but reluctantly teaming with Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron), the driver of Joe’s powerful War Rig who has chosen to betray her leader and ferry his five wives to a safe harbor across the desert -- the “green place” where she was born -- before he can use them all to breed future generations of despotic, ravaged lunatics. Accidentally accompanied by Max’s former captor, the War Boy Nux (Nicholas Hoult), the small band of two men and six women are pursued across the wasteland by Joe and his fearsome army of supercharged, monster vehicles -- against whom they must fight together or perish.

In other words, meet the new Max, same as the old Max -- at least in spirit. Just as he did in The Road Warrior (1982) and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), when he looked suspiciously like Mel Gibson, Max puts aside his own instinct for self-preservation in order to help a greater good -- even if it’s ferrying five scantily-clad beauties away from their destinies as a human incubator farm. Back then, Max -- who got his start in 1979’s original Mad Max as a cop trying to hold things together while society collapsed around him -- did his thing on a much lower budget. Now unleashed to the tune of $150 million (or perhaps even more), Miller has finally put his vision of the future onscreen exactly as he wanted, and the results are nothing short of jaw-dropping.

Elegant in its simplicity, refreshing in its insistence on practical effects, and energizing in the way it uses both the geography of its action and its locations, Mad Max: Fury Road is like no other action film you’ll see this summer -- or have seen perhaps in years. Even the colors of the movie are different from the usual desaturated murk that so many directors seem to mistake as a visual representation of serious intent. The movie’s two basic tones -- the teal of the sky and the rust of the desert -- pop off the screen and make the action blaze even brighter, thanks to Miller and cinematographer John Seale insisting on not doing things like every other filmmaker who shakes a camera at a scene and declares it a take. The camera never shakes in Mad Max: Fury Road; you know where everyone is, you see what they’re doing, and you still can’t believe your eyes.

The movie has a delicious forward momentum that barely pauses for what little exposition there is, or for that matter dialogue. Even the leads don’t have a hell of a lot of lines in the film, but they don’t need any more, really, than what is provided. Miller doesn’t bother to explain why Immortan Joe’s massive armada comes with a Doof Wagon on which the Doof Warrior plays a flame-throwing, double-necked electric guitar -- he’s just there and, within the crazy quilt infrastructure of this future insane asylum of a world (just 45 years from now!), you just relax, accept it and marvel at the audacity and insanity of it.

Same goes for the actors: minus a lot of dialogue, much more is conveyed through physical action or, in the few quieter moments, simple gestures or facial expressions. Hardy is as tough, formidable and unyielding a physical presence as you would expect; he doesn’t channel Gibson as much as tap into the same psychic well of stoicism and inward-turning conflict as his predecessor, But at times it feels like Hardy is almost a supporting player in his own story. As Furiosa, Theron is not only pivotal plotwise, but brings a steely determination and a ragged dignity to the part while furthering the cause of female action stars by years. Furiosa is full of pain, anger and strength, and her motivations are simple and character-driven, not reactive and passive-aggressive like other recent female action heroines have been (I’m looking at you, Katniss Everdeen). With its emphasis on the power and preservation of women (more of whom come into play as the film goes on), Mad Max: Fury Road is aggressively feminist in its outlook.

And then there are the action and stunts, which employ the practical as much as possible (none of the action is done with CG, only things like optically removing wires and so on) and transform the movie into one long ballet of astonishing choreography. From the rolling fights atop and underneath the War Rig and other vehicles to the Polecats which dangle live actors over and into the thick of the action like sacrifices to the cinematic gods of action. With the minimal dialogue and intensive focus on the physical, Mad Max: Fury Road is a master class in its genre.

Aided by Junkie XL’s pulsating, often electrifying score, showcasing the vast Namibian locations in epic, breathtaking wide shots, George Miller has taken his own post-apocalyptic vision -- which influenced so many others -- and created the ultimate enhanced version of it. Mad Max: Fury Road is visual cinema at its finest, orchestrated by a crazed genius with a particularly progressive stance and all the tools of his trade at his disposal. The result is one flame-throwing, double-necked, shredding electric guitar of a movie.

Score: 4.5/5

denofgeek.us/movies/mad-max-fury-road/246146/mad-max-fury-road-review
    Sounds like a winner!
    This guy on the right made a visit to the world premiere.

mad-max-hardy-08may15-17.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited May 2015 Posts: 11,139
    What an awesome pic!

This movie is getting tonnes of great reviews.

See, Ridley, learn a thing or two from Miller.This is how you don't cock up your original works!
    Wow that is a scary foto, I love it! Those two should make a gangster movie together!

Two days to go :-).
    This guy on the right made a visit to the world premiere.

mad-max-hardy-08may15-17.jpg

That is great to see! :-bd
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    One of them looks happy to be there
    One thing is for sure already: This film has the best trailers any film had in ages. I saw the latest trailer last night at the cinema, and it
    was so much more powerful than on my pc screen! The rest of the audience seems to have felt the same. While the lady I went with to see Age of Ultron constantly muttered that she wouldn´t stand seeing such a creepy film, all the guys were totally mesmerized by the trailer :-).

You got that right! Will see it this weekend and wish Miller was directing Bond 25. That guy knows how to direct a thrilling action film. Wish he had done SF. We wouldn't have been stuck with the pretentious Logan and Mendes reconstructing Bond into a tortured, and nearly ineffectual old man who needed an ear piece and M to tell him what to do. The teaser and Las Vegas trailers for SP were duds at selling an exciting action film in a very tough market. If the next trailer is more of the same and G-d forbid still more of Harris' dreadfully boring MP, they will kill any buzz for this movie before it ever gets started. They've spent gazillions on some hopefully great action scenes and have two terrific Bond girls. Show them darn it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It has a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 5,767
    And rightfully so, I would say. Just saw it. In 3D, it doesn´t have the raw look of the first two films, but it sure is furious, and madder than all three of the old films put together. While the plot´s complexity is somewhere in between Road Warrior and Thundedome, the action starts out in best Mad Max tradition, and manages to keep it up, slowly and continuously increasing the tension throughout the whole film. Which is an admirable achievement, given what spectacular action scenes are presented already in the first 20min.
    Despite this being an action film with a capital A, there are a lot of subtle character developments, giving the film strong emotional elements.
    Rarely has there been a film with such a number of powerful women, feminism was never so enjoyable and impressive.
    Not only did George Miller manage to make a new Mad Max film that in no way needs to fear a direct comparison with the old films, he also made one of the best films of the last twenty years. Crazy old man perhaps, but a true genius and visionary.
    I'm seeing it a couple of hours time (starts at 11pm, I'm going to the late showing). Really, really can't wait. Judging by the reviews, it seems like this will really have been worth the wait, and I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see one of my favorite film series return in all it's chaotic glory :D
    I'm seeing it a couple of hours time (starts at 11pm, I'm going to the late showing). Really, really can't wait. Judging by the reviews, it seems like this will really have been worth the wait, and I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see one of my favorite film series return in all it's chaotic glory :D

Enjoy yourselves, a wee bit envious here I am.

O:-)
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 12,837
    SaintMark wrote: »

Enjoy yourselves, a wee bit envious here I am.

O:-)

Will do :D Watched Road Warrior again last night to get my wife in the mood for the new one (tried to show it her years ago but she fell asleep [-X ) and she enjoyed it, and she's always been looking forward to Fury Road because it's full of actors she likes.

Feel like a kid at Christmas now, waiting to finally see it, especially since it's so close (less than two hours away). The only other time I can remember being so excited for a film was probably either Goldeneye, Rocky Balboa, Rambo (4) or Indiana Jones IV*. I think the reason for that is that those films, like this one, were big returns for my favorite cinematic heroes after years away, with me believing for a while that we'd never get another film with them.

*was gonna include CR and SF but while all the great reviews and everything got me really hyped up, the thing with them is that I always knew they were gonna happen, there was no uncertainty like the other films I mentioned.
    I had the bluray boxset of the old movies in my hand today but resisted the urge.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I had the bluray boxset of the old movies in my hand today but resisted the urge.
    I gave in about two months ago, and boy am I happy. Especially since the price was real bargain. I was very close to tears when I saw the first shot from RW with the hood of the V8 and the road in the background in full hd glory.

edited May 2015 Posts: 17,698
    I was very close to tears when I saw the first shot from RW with the hood of the V8 and the road in the background in full hd glory.
    I admit to the same; it really took my breath away.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw Fury Road last night, and it was much better than the old ones. Stunning visuals, thrilling score, non-stop action. Immortal Joe is a great MM villain, and there was a couple of laughs, mainly due to a guitar player.

Tom Hardy has signed a contract for three more Mad Max films, but it depends upon the revenues.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 12,837
    I saw it Thursday night and I think it's probably one of my favorite films. This was worth the wait, I think it's at least on par with The Road Warrior. It's one of the best action films I've ever seen, an insane, glorious, awe inspiring comeback for one of my favorite film series. Strong, twisted colorful characters, a good story and of course: chaotic, amazing, tense, violent action scenes involving some brilliantly designed post apocalyptic vehicles. Pretty much everything you want from a Mad Max film is here and amped up to 11. Couldn't be happier with how this turned out :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is like somehing straight out of Metal Hurlant/Heavy Metal. (The magazine, not the retarded music style.)
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I yesterday saw "Mad Max: Fury Road" and I loved it. It's so wunderful to see stories developing on constantly driving trucks and cars. I guess 75% or more of the movie took place on these driving settings. I loved it. The action therefore was very much part of the plot, while staying constantly interesting and exciting on itself. I was equally impressed by the cinematography. So far this is my favourite Sci-Fi movie of 2015.
    Haven't seen it yet (I intend to do so tomorrow), but I couldn't resist sharing this link :

edition.cnn.com/2015/05/15/entertainment/mad-max-fury-road-boycott-mens-rights-thr-feat/index.html

The thing that made me laugh the most was this :
    Clarey writes that he is concerned "men in America and around the world are going to be duped by explosions, fire tornadoes, and desert raiders into seeing what is guaranteed to be nothing more than feminist propaganda, while at the same time being insulted AND tricked into viewing a piece of American culture ruined and rewritten right in front of their very eyes."

Doesn't he know that the original movies were written and filmed by Australians in Australia ? Some people !
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I saw the film in 2D last night, and I must say, I don't think there's a reason to show up and see any other action film this year other than 'Spectre,' because after what I witnessed last night, anything else is going to be a massive, major disappointment.

Every once in a while, a film comes along that you must see in theaters. This is one of them.