Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• oo7oo7
    is Brian May coming back?
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 57
    Mad Max 2 is one of the greatest action movies ever made. Period. I don't think any other movie has ever topped the madness of it's final chase sequence, and the fact everything's done so bone-breakingly real just adds to the intensity. I like the first film too, but it's a little weird and takes a bit too long to really get going. The second one trumps it in every way.

Sadly, I hate Thunderdome. It's one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen. It's like they took a completely different post-apocalyptic movie about Peter Pan lost kids, shoehorned Max into it, then realised in the final 10 minutes they hadn't had a car chase and tacked one on the end. It had elements I liked... Tina Turner rocked in her role, everything until Max ran off with a bunch of children was pretty good, and the soundtrack (especially the songs by Tina) was great. But overall it just felt like a confused mess. (I know the director lost a good friend in a pre-production accident and mostly stepped down, so maybe that's why it feels kinda off.)

Anyway, hoping the new one can recapture some of the magic of the second. The vehicle designs definitely look like they're on the right track!
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 5,767
    oo7 wrote:
    is Brian May coming back?
    Boy, that would make my day! Marco Beltrami is doing the soundtrack. Whatever that might lead to.

LeighBurne wrote:
    Mad Max 2 is one of the greatest action movies ever made. Period. I don't think any other movie has ever topped the madness of it's final chase sequence, and the fact everything's done so bone-breakingly real just adds to the intensity. I like the first film too, but it's a little weird and takes a bit too long to really get going. The second one trumps it in every way.

Sadly, I hate Thunderdome. It's one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen. It's like they took a completely different post-apocalyptic movie about Peter Pan lost kids, shoehorned Max into it, then realised in the final 10 minutes they hadn't had a car chase and tacked one on the end. It had elements I liked... Tina Turner rocked in her role, everything until Max ran off with a bunch of children was pretty good, and the soundtrack (especially the songs by Tina) was great. But overall it just felt like a confused mess. (I know the director lost a good friend in a pre-production accident and mostly stepped down, so maybe that's why it feels kinda off.)

Anyway, hoping the new one can recapture some of the magic of the second. The vehicle designs definitely look like they're on the right track!
    I wouldn´t even mind the kids in the third one. Max finding kind of a new family would have been a suitable closure after what he went through in the first two films. But the ending, especially with Max ending up on the road again, defeats the whole purpose of everything the film did before. As if the filmmakers suddenly changed their mind and forgot they have to finish a story. Like you said, a mess.

• http://badassdigest.com/2013/10/01/rumor-fury-road-is-great-reshoots-are-good-news/

Good news as apparently the film is brilliant! Not happy to hear this though

"Apparently Tom Hardy is still using his Bane voice here". I find this hard to believe.
  • I absolutely love the entire Mad Max trilogy (I am Aussie after all) and I look foward to Fury Road and the game.
    Music to my ears indeed! In fact I just got goosebumps, and will probably in ten minutes get a heart attack from my excitement. The explanation for the re-shoots sounds fantastic!

What is meant by "his Bane voice"? Max isn´t going to speak through a mask now, is he? If he´s going to speak with a British accent I´m willing to forgive him if the trailer comes along in the next months.

• Thanks @oo7. I haven't seen anything he's scored so I'm not sure if I should be pleased or not by this but it's good to have some news about the film.

I'm hoping it'll sound similar to the old films.

Thanks @oo7. I haven't seen anything he's scored so I'm not sure if I should be pleased or not by this but it's good to have some news about the film.

I'm hoping it'll sound similar to the old films.
    Here´s hoping too! Those were outstanding scores, one way or the other.
    It´s funny that I saw a bit of Terminator 3 just two nights ago on tv and listened to the score by Marco Beltrami because I thought he was slated to score this film too, and I thought, hey that´s actually not too far from what Brian May did, and now I read that Beltrami´s not doing it at all and that already a number of names were considered after him.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I've just read this in the comments on a random article so take it with a pinch of salt but it'd be brilliant if it were true and it fits in with Gibsons "drifter" cameo.

The film begins years after the events of Thunderdome, with an older Max (Mel Gibson), telling a story about the Road Warrior (himself). We then see this story, which takes place before the events of Road Warrior, with Hardy as Max.

Really hope this is true.
    Sounds like a good idea, I'm in!
  • oo7oo7
    April!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    oo7 wrote:
    April!

I'm sorry, what?
    I want the film not the game. With additional shoots in November, it´s improbable that the film will be released before summer, I would guess. Hmpf. Impatience.
    oo7 wrote:

Oh right, I see. This game could provide a good warm up for the film, hopefully released by next Christmas.
    I just now learned that Brian May the composer of the first two MM films was an Australian composer and not the Queen guitarist. Interesting how one can get into false beliefs...
  • Been reading up a bit more about the game and although I was a big fan of the Just Cause games, I'm not 100% sold on it. Seems like they're trying too hard to make their own version of Mad Max, seems like almost a separate beast from the films.

This was evident from the start, when they made him American (and made him look nothing like Gibson or Hardy). They've ditched his car, they've given him a grappling hook, they've given him too many weapons (and not even bow and arrows/crossbows, he can now whip out a sniper rifle) and they've given him a mechanic sidekick to help with his new car.

These changes, along with the developers banging on about how they want to make their own version, has me sceptical. It still looks quite fun (vehicle combat looks very cool), but I'm cautiously optimistic.
  • oo7oo7
    edited November 2013 Posts: 1,068
    Been reading up a bit more about the game and although I was a big fan of the Just Cause games, I'm not 100% sold on it. Seems like they're trying too hard to make their own version of Mad Max, seems like almost a separate beast from the films.

This was evident from the start, when they made him American (and made him look nothing like Gibson or Hardy). They've ditched his car, they've given him a grappling hook, they've given him too many weapons (and not even bow and arrows/crossbows, he can now whip out a sniper rifle) and they've given him a mechanic sidekick to help with his new car.

These changes, along with the developers banging on about how they want to make their own version, has me sceptical. It still looks quite fun (vehicle combat looks very cool), but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I think if you look at mad max then jump straight to thunderdome or indeed even the leap to roadwarrior you see three different worlds only tied by the central character.
    i would mind so much hearing stories taken from the time frame they are looking at between mad max and road warrior.
    ANYWAY
    there's always fallout 4
    http://thesurvivor2299.com/
  • @oo7 Can't wait for Fallout 4. Loved Fallout 3, and New Vegas was fun too. Plus after playing Skyrim, I can't wait to see that tech in action in a Fallout game. Wonder where they'll set it? I did read rumours of Boston but I think it could be interesting setting it in Alaska or somewhere. Skyrim had lots of snow and it'd make a nice change from the usual brown, desert wastelands. They'd have to keep it in America though, don't think it'd work anywhere else.

Anyway, I did read that the story involves him trying to get back the Interceptor (which I'm assuming we'll drive for the tutorial), and you're right about the films being different, but I'm still not completely sure if it'll live up to the name. I'll probably buy it though because it does look fun if nothing else.
  • oo7oo7
    @oo7 Can't wait for Fallout 4. Loved Fallout 3, and New Vegas was fun too. Plus after playing Skyrim, I can't wait to see that tech in action in a Fallout game. Wonder where they'll set it? I did read rumours of Boston but I think it could be interesting setting it in Alaska or somewhere. Skyrim had lots of snow and it'd make a nice change from the usual brown, desert wastelands. They'd have to keep it in America though, don't think it'd work anywhere else.

Anyway, I did read that the story involves him trying to get back the Interceptor (which I'm assuming we'll drive for the tutorial), and you're right about the films being different, but I'm still not completely sure if it'll live up to the name. I'll probably buy it though because it does look fun if nothing else.
    is arkham city or asylum faitful to adamwest, or is michael keatons batman in line with bale's?
    just enjoy it
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 5,767
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111626

Mad Max: Fury Road Set for May 15, 2015 Release

Quite a stretch to go still, but at least they seem to be confident concerning the film, releasing it two weeks after Age of Ultron.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    At last a release date but my God, filmed in 2012, released in 2015 would mean at least a five year production gap between this film and another one, that's some stretch. It will also mark 30 years since the last film!
  • oo7oo7
    edited November 2013 Posts: 1,068
    boldfinger wrote:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111626

Quite a stretch to go still, but at least they seem to be confident concerning the film, releasing it two weeks after Age of Ultron.

that would add up with the games supposed April release, now if we could just get a trailer of some sort. this is perhaps been one of the best films to stay under cover. i know the last batman and robocop definitely lost their edge with the leaking going on
    Samuel001 wrote:
    At last a release date but my God, filmed in 2012, released in 2015 would mean at least a five year production gap between this film and another one, that's some stretch. It will also mark 30 years since the last film!
    there has deginatly been some cgi done to this film, but as hardy said the reshoots would seem to point towards more max in the future, remember when this film was originally getting pitched it became two films, its not unheard of two or more films to be shot back to back look at matrix or lord of the rings, long production times then yearly dispersal
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 5,767
    oo7 wrote:
    there has deginatly been some cgi done to this film, but as hardy said the reshoots would seem to point towards more max in the future, remember when this film was originally getting pitched it became two films, its not unheard of two or more films to be shot back to back look at matrix or lord of the rings, long production times then yearly dispersal
    I would probably prefer two shorter films over one longer film. The first two films worked marvellously at 90min.

What exactly makes you think that there´s definitely cgi done to the film?

• edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Hope they don't use too much CGI. The real stuntwork was a big part of what made the originals special to me.
    boldfinger wrote:

F***ing hell, really? Ah well, suppose it'll be worth the wait.
    Hope they don't use too much CGI. The real stuntwork was a big part of what made the originals special to me.
    If they use cgi in the stunt work the film´s dead. The real stuntwork of the old Mad Max films is their heart and soul. If they use cgi for background alterations I won´t object. Probably.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111959

According to that source director George Miller said test screenings went very well, Mel Gibson will not have a cameo, and the film was pushed to 2015 in order not to collide with the 2014 soccer world cup.
  • boldfinger wrote:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111959

According to that source director George Miller said test screenings went very well, Mel Gibson will not have a cameo, and the film was pushed to 2015 in order not to collide with the 2014 soccer world cup.

But why not release it in Autumn 2014 rather than the summer then? That way they'd avoid the world cup and the overcrowded 2015.
  • oo7oo7
    wait, wont it be up against warmer brothers other big film of that year superman v batman?
    at the minute i guess the release dates for 2014 are booked up, xmen seems to be hitting in the summer as will spiderman and robocop in feb? unsure what other big names are due out.