Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    First long trailer:

BTW, what's your favourite Mad Max movie? Mine is Thunderdome.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    That. Looks.EDITED. Amazing. I can't wait to see this! Looks like it'll be worth the wait. This film is going to own 2015.

Oh, and my favourite Mad Max movie is Road Warrior. The first one bores me a bit and Thunderdome is too Americanised and watered down with nowhere near enough car chases. Road Warrior though is a masterpiece imo. Maybe the best action film ever made.

Please abide by the terms and conditions of this forum. Thanks
    my favourite Mad Max movie is Road Warrior.
    It IS a great film, but there's that one part that's SO hard to watch... the scene that makes me cry every time... I just hate seeing it...
    You know what I'm talking about, when they trash the last of the V8 Interceptors...
    :((
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Road Warrior is also my favorite. I also enjoy the first Mad Max. It drags a bit, but I enjoy that in some movies. I don't like Thunderdome at all. I find it boring and the plot with the feral kids. I thought this was Mad Max, not Peter Pan.
    Thing is, this new movie takes place before Road Warrior, and that seems a strange place to put it seeing as it has a new actor. I think it should have taken place after Thunderdome....
    But if it took place after Thunderdome, we wouldn't have the Interceptor back ;)

To whoever changed the title: I'm going to edit it to remove the Fury road part because this thread is for all the films, not just the new one. I'll keep the years in brackets if you want (as I see they've been added to most other threads), I'll change (2015) to (1979-2015).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The cinematography for this film looks AMAZING!
    I had to watch that trailer five times in a row, it looks so amazing. The trailer itself already is a masterpiece. With all the action movies my brain has taken in, I still flinched at two of the car crashes. **ly s**t am I happy. :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love Road Warrior, but it's been too long since I've seen it. I'll have to watch it again soon. Great trailer! Looking forward to this one. :)
    I remember a few years back when it was first announced but still called 'Fury Road'. At the time Mel Gibson was supposed to return as Max. I like Tom Hardy, but I would have preferred Mel.

Did his drunken rant really ruin it? I can't remember which came first: Fury Road or the drunken rant?

Looks good. I'll be seeing that. :)
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I remember a few years back when it was first announced but still called 'Fury Road'. At the time Mel Gibson was supposed to return as Max. I like Tom Hardy, but I would have preferred Mel.

Did his drunken rant really ruin it? I can't remember which came first: Fury Road or the drunken rant?

I remember there being rumours about a fourth film with Mel, in the early 00s but nothing came of it. I can't remember the Fury Road title being rumoured before the film was actually announced and I think by the time Fury Road was announced Hardy was already set to play Max.

Hardy was attatched to the film for a good few years though, before it was called Fury Road. I remember him talking about it on Jonathon Ross* (who at the time was still at the BBC, so quite a few years ago now), and this was quite a while ago, before The Dark Knight Rises was even made.

I think Miller said they got a new actor because Mel was too old, not because of his rant, and it's a decision Mel supported (somewhere om this thread there's. video of him praising Hardy) so I'm alright with it. I agree though, Mel coming back would have been awesome.

*For those of you who aren't in the uk, he's a presenter/host who's had a number of shows on telly and on the radio.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    SDCC ’14: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD "Uncut" Warner Bros. Press Conference:

http://nukethefridge.com/2014/08/07/sdcc-14-mad-max-fury-road-uncut-warner-bros-press-conference/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It does appear that Mel's string of scandals in recent years prompted Miller to search for a younger actor instead of casting Gibson in a new trilogy:

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/mad-max-director-heartbroken-over-mel-gibson-163209294.html
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,944
    Mel has been out of the tabloids for a few years now IIRC, so I'd like to think that Miller would still consider hiring him for future films where Max is much older. Wishful thinking, I guess. He still has what it takes, and he can still do action, ie. Machete Kills, Get the Gringo etc., the latter film was terrific.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    QBranch wrote: »
    Mel has been out of the tabloids for a few years now IIRC, so I'd like to think that Miller would still consider hiring him for future films where Max is much older. Wishful thinking, I guess. He still has what it takes, and he can still do action, ie. Machete Kills, Get the Gringo etc., the latter film was terrific.

I believe a new trilogy has been in planning for quite a few years, though, so when it was in the early stages is more than likely when Mel's scandals were happening.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,944
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I believe a new trilogy has been in planning for quite a few years, though, so when it was in the early stages is more than likely when Mel's scandals were happening.
    I agree with that- at least too late for Fury Road. But still, how cool would it be to have Furiosa set between Road Warrior and Thunderdome (still with Hardy), and the third one set way after Thunderdome with Mel back in the seat. Wishful thinking though, plus by the time a third film comes around he may be too old to fit into whatever story. Who knows what Miller has planned for the future.
    I think Mel could still do it. He was the only good part of Expendables 3. His performance reminded me of his performance in Lethal Weapon. Just older. :p
    Tom Hardy is going to do Max different from what Mel Gibson did, like any decent actor would make the role his own. Miller said so himself. So it would be quite awkward to have two films with Hardy as Max and then make a full turn and have Gibson again.
    Let them make some smashing films that live up to the first trailer, and all will be just fine.
    Mel Gibson is still one of the best actors on the planet, and I wish that he still makes a lot of good movies. But having him in a new Mad Max film would be like having Arnold in a new Terminator film, a superfluous distraction.

I don´t have to think twice for which film I´m going to save my money next year :-).
    Doesn't look very exciting...

:P
    that is quite a pedestrian trailer. Nothing to get excited about. O:-)
    Miller didn't 'member it straight- gotta have action. He's slackin'.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 5,767
    Nice little 15sec explosion teaser :-):

It seems like right now there's very little to actually see in theatres... and I'm just looking at bleedin' trailers, wanting see this and that and that... and following production of this and that and eagerly awaiting shooting of that other thing to start, and really wanting that other thing really being confirmed and going into production soon... oh yes and this other thing that's actually in production now too, and... and that one thing, is it ever getting finished, for goodnessakes... but geez why is there nothing in cinemas now I wanna see?

Oh well, a chance to catch up on stuff plus re-watch stuff...
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 5,767
    Tuulia wrote: »
    It seems like right now there's very little to actually see in theatres... and I'm just looking at bleedin' trailers, wanting see this and that and that... and following production of this and that and eagerly awaiting shooting of that other thing to start, and really wanting that other thing really being confirmed and going into production soon... oh yes and this other thing that's actually in production now too, and... and that one thing, is it ever getting finished, for goodnessakes... but geez why is there nothing in cinemas now I wanna see?

Oh well, a chance to catch up on stuff plus re-watch stuff...
    Try a Bondathon, that should take you halfway there.
    And if that shouldn´t be enough, how about re-watching 24 ;-)?

@boldfinger - Re-watching 24? Oh no, once was quite enough. Hey, I'm not desperate or anything ;) sorry if it sounded like that. There are so many movies to watch that I haven't seen or want to watch again, and I have several, um, projects going... hmm... actually talking of Mad Max, a Tom Hardy project needs to be added on the list, too, I need to see more of his work... (checking what the local library has... oh, gimme...) Anyway, I'd just like to go to the movies, too. Last year this time there was lots to see, this year so far not much.
    @Tuulia, I perfectly know what you mean. Cinema addiction has its pitfalls. Weeks of nothing but trash, yet out of sheer desperation you still want to go. It got so bad once, I went to see Clash of the Titans, imagine that.

As for Tom Hardy, I suggest you start with Bronson and Locke. And The Drop should be out on disc soon.
    @boldfinger, I saw that on tv... Sometimes one feels sorry for actors, that was one of those cases... (I like Mads and Ralph and Liam and Pete - didn't care either way for the rest of them.)
    I'll get Locke and some others next week probably, already made my reservations. :) I've heard of Bronson, and unfortunately they don't have it in my library, but I will try to see it sooner or later.
    And I thought the Comic Con teaser and the first trailer were hard to top...

I´m shocked in a very positive way, most of all by the R rating, I hadn´t expected that. There´s tasteful directors after all.