Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Fury Road struck a chord with me, I outright love it as Max's world and have my reasons. Screened it many times during release and since, don't tire of it and I'm ready for more.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Fury Road is a glorious rock opera. I love it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

But is it a MAD MAX movie?
    Heck yeah it's a MAD MAX movie. He drives it.

edited January 2022 Posts: 8,009
    chrisisall wrote: »

Yes, I would say it is. The previous three films had varying styles and approaches, so I don't see why Fury Road is any different. It has Max crossing paths with a group in need who are being pursued or harassed by a gang of marauders in a post-apocalyptic landscape. That's all I need really - aside from a good time at the movies.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Is Goldfinger a Bond film?

That question is almost enough to make me leave here permanently. The indiscriminate level of nonsense... okay. bye. Door hit my butt.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I liked Fury Road but I only wish Mel came back as an older Max. Tom didn't do it for me.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,518

That question is almost enough to make me leave here permanently. The indiscriminate level of nonsense... okay. bye. Door hit my butt.

I was kidding. Merely poking fun at the fact many people complain Bond has little effect on the events of Goldfinger, a sentiment I don’t agree with. Relax and take the joke.
    Much as I like Tom Hardy, he wasnt Mad Max!
    Is it known, did Gibson turn the part down, or did Miller think he was too old?
    And I dont think Max drives (sic!) the movie, I think Therons Furiosa character does!
    I think Gibson was approached at one point, yes. It took so long to get the film off the ground, however, that Gibson became too old for what Miller wanted Max to be (he wanted to keep him reasonably the same age as he was in the other films). The scandals in Gibson's personal life pretty much sealed the deal on his lack of involvement then later on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I watched Fatman the other day, the film from last year where Gibson plays Santa. He's a dodgy guy in real life, there's no real doubt about that, but my goodness he's still got screen presence: he's brilliant in it.
    And to me the idea of an older, even more grizzled Max makes more sense than bringing back a lot of other older screen action heroes.

I guess the only thing is that Max is a bit of a thankless role: from what I remember (and I haven't seen any of them in many years) he's mainly reactive rather than much of a protagonist, and he doesn't even say much to boot. I can imagine how it might not be all that tempting a role to take on.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,656

Oh, come on, @chrisisall...we seem to share the disdain for Fury Road, but any either ironic or failed attempt to compare it to a Bond film shouldn't be sufficient to make you leave the board.
    I assumed he just meant the thread, but... :-??

If it was my dumb comment that did it, it was bound to happen at some point. Thought it was a pretty benign poke.

I was kidding.

If it was my dumb comment that did it, it was bound to happen at some point. Thought it was a pretty benign poke.
    I was gonna leave, but I couldn't find the lift. Or perhaps I should say 'elevator'.

I thought it was pretty funny, myself. But I suppose it was taken too literally as opposed to what was intended. I'm sure @chrisisall was just jesting. He's a good dude.

I was kidding.

I was gonna leave, but I couldn't find the lift. Or perhaps I should say 'elevator'.

In fairness, I do this every week. ;)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    So Furiosa is set to come out May 2024 with Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth and Tom Burke starring. Hopefully things will move smoothly without any further delays.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 12,914
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    And I dont think Max drives (sic!) the movie, I think Therons Furiosa character does!
    Yeah I've heard that suggested and it's not how I see the film. She just drives the War Rig.

Once unleashed, Max takes with him what's useful--Furiosa has the knowledge of the War Rig he needs, and he can't get her without the brides coming along. They all turn out to be valuable through the story. Max and Furiosa quickly realize their value to each other and cooperate.

On this journey Max is in charge. Not least when he's about to set out on foot for a preemptive strike against the Bullet Farmer, Furiosa asks him what to do if he doesn't come back. You keep moving, he says, and still does come back. Later the time is right for him to take off on his own, but he's compelled to redirect the group one last time to get them to The Green Place. Otherwise they'd likely travel to their doom across the salt.

By film's end Furiosa needs Max to save her life, he comes out of his apocalyptic haze and remembers his police training, applies lifesaving measures. Then true to form he exits to make his own way. So I'm definitely seeing the story through the Max character.

And hell yeah I'm taking this too seriously.
    60b1065d4335316369ab4c2e0692a0bc.jpg

The second episode of Book of Boba Fett really scratched my itch for more Mad Max.

Also, nice post @RichardTheBruce.
    I wonder if it's the aesthetic that makes people feel like Fury Road is less of a Mad Max film than the others as much as Furiosa's involvement. It does have a very different feel to it. The fact that it wasn't actually shot in Oz might have something to do with it. The first three were obviously very barren, but there was still a feeling of "being on the edge of civilisation" where there were still remnants of what once was rather than being properly out in the wilderness, the nothingness. There's almost a feeling that the 2015 film could have been set on Mars.

I personally love that about Fury Road but I can understand why that, combined with the lack of Mel in the title part, might not sit right with people who love the first three.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited January 2022 Posts: 3,985
    I think Fury Road is far better than it had a right to be. I like Tom Hardy in it but an older grizzled Mel Gibson would have been amazing.

That said, it's a pure action film, and I bloody love it!

By the way, nothing beats Mad Max 2...😁
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FR is an amazing action film. I treat it as the "Craig" Mad Max to the "Connery" ones of Mel. ;-)
    I think Fury Road is far better than it had a right to be. I like Tom Hardy in it but an older grizzled Mel Gibson would have been amazing.

That said, it's a pure action film, and I bloody love it!

By the way, nothing beats Mad Max 2...😁

Absolutely, mate!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wonder if it's the aesthetic that makes people feel like Fury Road is less of a Mad Max film than the others as much as Furiosa's involvement. It does have a very different feel to it. The fact that it wasn't actually shot in Oz might have something to do with it. The first three were obviously very barren, but there was still a feeling of "being on the edge of civilisation" where there were still remnants of what once was rather than being properly out in the wilderness, the nothingness. There's almost a feeling that the 2015 film could have been set on Mars.

I personally love that about Fury Road but I can understand why that, combined with the lack of Mel in the title part, might not sit right with people who love the first three.

Yes as I recall, the first two were set just in the Australian countryside of pretty much current day, or a year or two into the future, Australia. But by Thunderdome it had become a sort of fantasyland, and that's where Fury Road was set too.
    I also feel like Fury Road was filled with American rather than Aussie cars.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Furiosa has commenced filming, finally:

Okay good. Yes.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2023 Posts: 15,686
    Furiosa to premiere at the Cannes film festival in May 2024.
    Witness.