No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

ertert wrote: »
    New user here but I've been following this website extremely closely since the Spectre days.

Want to thank @ColonelSun, @peter, @RC7, and others for their analysis and contributions.

My theory on why we have not heard anything official is that this month is huge for movies/TV already.

Star Wars Episode 9 is scheduled to be officially announced next Friday with a trailer release, Game of Thrones is premiering next weekend also, and then the final Avengers movie is releasing in 3 weeks.

Not sure how much the audiences overlap between Bond and those other franchises (though I am a fan of all of them), but perhaps Eon is timing their big announcement so that it doesn't get drowned out by those other franchises, which are surely to capture massive amounts of the public's attention in the next month.

Just my two cents. Thanks for this awesome community everybody, I read this website every day.

Welcome to the forum, @ertert. And I think your observations are spot on.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks for the kind shout out @ertert. And welcome to the forum. A very sound observation about the busy month that’s upon us.

I also love your optimistic tone— never lose it!
    peter wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind shout out @ertert. And welcome to the forum. A very sound observation about the busy month that’s upon us.

I also love your optimistic tone— never lose it!

Thanks! I'm not one for baseless speculation, so going by the concrete facts, we have no clear evidence that Bond 25 is anything but full steam ahead.

- They filmed in Norway last week
    - Craig is or was recently in London (not sure if I trust those pictures saying he is back in NYC)
    - Proven insiders on this forum with friends on the production have reported that things are proceeding smoothly (this is the best evidence we have).

As far as I know there is no other concrete info besides that . So I don't think there's any reason to worry.

I don't think relying on prior films' schedules is accurate because it's been several years since then and the Sony hacks probably changed everything.

All I'm expecting is that sometime between now and August or so there will be some kind of announcement. Possibly later rather than sooner because of the massive hype around other movies/shows I mentioned in my last post.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 13,977
    RC7 wrote: »
    I have no doubt that the production is now finally on track. At the same time, it is frustrating not knowing when we will finally get some offical news. If EON announced today that the presser will be held at the beginning of May, I would have no problem with that, but the complete radio silence is very frustrating.
    Every time you use the word ‘presser’ EON delay the announcement by 2 days. Barbara told me.
    I don't get it? What's wrong with it? It seems to me it's perfectly valid to use "presser" instead of "press conference". https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/presser
    Bit wanky. In the same way things are ‘dropped’ rather than ‘released’ these days. Babs not a fan.
    Add Benny and myself to the list of people who can confirm it's totally wanky.

Anyway, who's looking forward to the P-Conf?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    QBranch wrote: »
    I have no doubt that the production is now finally on track. At the same time, it is frustrating not knowing when we will finally get some offical news. If EON announced today that the presser will be held at the beginning of May, I would have no problem with that, but the complete radio silence is very frustrating.
    Every time you use the word ‘presser’ EON delay the announcement by 2 days. Barbara told me.
    I don't get it? What's wrong with it? It seems to me it's perfectly valid to use "presser" instead of "press conference". https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/presser
    Bit wanky. In the same way things are ‘dropped’ rather than ‘released’ these days. Babs not a fan.
    Add Benny and myself to the list of people who can confirm it's totally wanky.

That actually induced a migraine.

You mean the pressy confy thingy?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Ain’t that presser comfy?
    One was loathe to actually sign up having been happily lurking in the shadows, so to speak, for far too many years, but ironically it is the sheer amount of negativity that has lured me in to pass what will unfortunately or not go down as my first comment.

There is of course no denying the fact that production of Bond 25 has rather been put through the mill. Yes there has been delays, rumours swirling about scripts, the change in director... Of that nobody can deny. But with each issue that has emerged a fix has been announced not long after. Be it the renewed release date rather than a to be confirmed, The employment of a temporary script doctor to see what could be tweaked or the swift hire of a very intriquing and, dare I say, artistic choice of director - all suggesting that those in command are well aware of the issues they have faced and are prepared to engage in actions to fix that which they perceive to be is broken. And being in charge, they are the ones best to perceive. Not those relying on the false or bitter musings of anonymous social media based "sources"

Having quite happily observed these forums for numerous years I've noticed during this pre production a level of almost... Entitlement has set in amongst some. The idea that we, as fans, deserve answers. Deserve communication. Deserve a press conference even. The fact is, we don't. Eon are a company that make the Bond films. That, as recent filming evidence shows, is exactly what they are doing.

It's not that a lack of clarity is even without precedent either. One wonders how this place would have reacted had it been around between the licence to kill and goldeneye years. Problems occur. The trick is celebrating as they are resolved. Rather than dwell on why they were made. It'd not even without precedent in the Bond universe either. Look no further than Star Wars and their recent supporting films. Overseen by the the entity that is Disney. Have they also not had script issues? Director issues? Delays? Did they take to twitter to announce every gory detail about what had went wrong. Or did they, with their undoubtedly huge marketing department, merely acknowledge, as Eon have done, what the next steps going forwards are. All without a press conference. Or clapperboards.

So I'm not denying there has been problems. There clearly has. That is evidenced by the solutions that have been and are being worked on. The film is after all, still in pre production. It may not even have a title - quantum didn't until the night before the press event as story would have it. They might not have a script - think it's gwneral consensus that tomorrow never dies never had a set one throughout. They may not even have the cast set in stone - be it through the lack of finalised script or, as it may seem, the filing commitments some of the rumoured cast seem to have. All of which dissuade official announcements. All of which deter a press event.

I'm not for one moment criticising people's passion for the series. Even passion that is developing, it seems, into a constant dawn of pessimism. But the fact is we're not entitled to anything. As Die Another Day proved (subjectively) we're not even entitled to a good film. (though it is my genuine belief that a good movie goes exist behind the cgi and quips). We're all here because we're fans of a franchise that no matter what has been thrown at is, no matter the plaudits or critics, has endured for nigh on 60 years. Problems or otherwise, I think in that time Eon may have just perhaps learnt a thing or two about making a bond film. Even if it doesn't always go smoothly. And they don't always tell the fans every little detail, positive or negative, that goes on behind the scenes. I can fully understand why this can get people's backs up, why people go into panic mode and why in turn that incenses other people into creating this semi poisonous atmosphere that seems to have taken hold. Only to briefly lift and descend again with more aggresive "I told you so" bitterness. Criticise where criticism is due. Praise what ought to be praised. But for goodness sake, please try and rememeber that we're all fans here before descending into the keyboard warrior like villainy that I myself have seemingly been forced to engage in to try and offer my opinionated reason.

The movie is being made. To paraphrase a controversial figure: its been a long time, but finally, here we are.

And as a post script. Apologies for the lengthy post and possible bad grammar and spelling. It seems typing your first post on a mobile whilst at work and not being too certain of the forum you're using rather leads to errors. Hopefully I'm not judged too harshly for that, nor for attempting to get my point across. Debate after all is healthy, just try and note that diatribe is tiresome.

Respect to you all

Props to anyone who actually read this.

Try to be be more concise.

Anyway.....Jodie Comer's involvement is looking very very unlikely. She started filming 'Fll Guy' with Ryan Reynolds last week and her show, 'Killing Eve' is back this weekend. This story is just the tabloids having a slow news day.

She's unavailable.

Plus, whilst I think she's great as the mischievous Villanelle. I just think she's a little bit of a plain and boring white girl. Does little for me.

Cormer would have been good for the MI6 agent role. Another choice of mine is Perdita Weeks but perhaps the role is too close to Juliet Higgins in the Magnum reboot.

The pressie should indeed be comfy!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 13,894
    Pressy? Is MI6 collectively getting down wiv da yoof?

3BA812A200000578-4067188-image-a-40_1482797192586.jpg

"Wicked story bruv, swear down."
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2019 Posts: 15,423
    Reminds me of this...
    if-the-person-who-named-walkie-talkies-named-everything-stamps-31914410.png

Our next Bond? :-D
    Reminds me of this...
    if-the-person-who-named-walkie-talkies-named-everything-stamps-31914410.png

Brilliant!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

He'll also sing the theme. That'll save having to get someone else in to sing it. ;)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Let’s just simplify things down to PC. Just don’t mix it up with CP...

He'll also sing the theme. That'll save having to get someone else in to sing it. ;)

Who is this really?
    Minion wrote: »

Let’s just simplify things down to PC. Just don’t mix it up with CP...

Crystal Palace?
  • RC7RC7
    DSC_6766-2.jpg

Love a presse.

Who is this really?

UK singer Dappy, he was in N-Dubz. And now I feel embarrassed admitting I know that.
    I feel embarrassed admitting I know that.
    I bet that's what his parents say about him.

Who is this really?

UK singer Dappy, he was in N-Dubz. And now I feel embarrassed admitting I know that.

Never heard of Dappy nor N-Dubz. Probably not my kind of music anyway!
    I feel embarrassed admitting I know that.
    I bet that's what his parents say about him.

Ouch!
    Never heard of him either, but anyone who calls themself Dappy needs a good backhand slappy.
    Never heard of him either, but anyone who calls themself Dappy needs a good backhand slappy.

Indeed-y.
    On the topic of music; does it look like this Lipa will sing the next theme, or was it just the typical rumours?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,185

Indeed-y.
    On the topic of music; does it look like this Lipa will sing the next theme, or was it just the typical rumours?

Your guess is as good as ours atm @Torgeirtrap so you can believe whatever you like :)
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,302
    00Agent wrote: »

Indeed-y.

Your guess is as good as ours atm @Torgeirtrap so you can believe whatever you like :)

Alright! :-)
    Then…
    tenor.gif
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 820
    Can't say I'm familiar with Dua Lipa's music.

But I will say that any suggestion of a title performer having already been selected and signed at this point in the timeline—based on pretty much every modern-era Bond film's precedent—is a pretty shaky claim.

It's simply too early to have that locked, I think.

Certainly any suggestion that she's shooting a video in Italy this summer is, I think, ridiculous. Even *if* a performer were selected early, the chances of a finished song existing then (to set a video to) would be virtually zero.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm familiar with Dua Lipa's music.

But I will say that any suggestion of a title performer having already been selected and signed at this point in the timeline—based on pretty much every modern-era Bond film's precedent—is a pretty shaky claim.

It's simply too early to have that locked, I think.

Certainly any suggestion that she's shooting a video in Italy this summer is, I think, ridiculous. Even *if* a performer were selected early, the chances of a finished song existing then (to set a video to) would be virtually zero.

On top of that the first rumors of her being choosen are from june/july 2018, which is really unrealistic.
    I think a lot of the tabloids are still clinging to that.
    I'm still holding out hope for Lana del Rey.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 13,977
    Lana's a perfect fit, but I would want her song to be a tad more upbeat than her usual ballads.

Bond's going to Norway, so why not nab a Norwegian artist like Susanne Sundfør, whose music can sound intense, bright and dark at the same time, and has orchestral elements integrated in some tracks.
    Lana's a perfect fit, but I would want her song to be a tad more upbeat than her usual ballads.

Bond's going to Norway, so why not nab a Norwegian artist like Susanne Sundfør, whose music can sound intense, bright and dark at the same time, and has orchestral elements integrated in some tracks.

She's even better live!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    tenor.gif?itemid=10291431

She's even better live!
    Så sjalu akkurat nå!