No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    I hope for this next one, we get a marrying of Fleming Bond and Film Bond.
    I don't know, that's certainly what excited me about the movie and it would have been a classic if it had gotten those things right, but it just didn't do it for me.

Like Bond said in TWINE "Close, but no cigar".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    My favourite casual Craig look of all time is one not seen on film.

qosbc-shirt1.jpg

It's so damn good.

Agreed. They nailed it here.

Could never fathom why Bond wouldn't shed the jacket in the desert!

The desert is not a perpetually scorching hot place. I wore a jacket there as well.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,000
    “Gosh, what I really want is another Spectre.” -Nobody
    If by having "another SPECTRE" you mean having the elements that made Bond great and a happy ending with Bond getting the girl, I'm all for that! :D
    Better make that two!
    Count me in! SP had problems, but its revival of the classic Bond elements and formula wasn’t one of them. I’d dare say that was the only good thing in fact. Its issues come from plot holes, a crappy love story, the Brofeld debacle, and an anticlimactic ending.
    +1. Always the voice of reason, my friend. Always the voice of reason.

Thank you!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Craig gives the least committed performance of his tenure so far.

He just doesn't looked engaged, also I think he was dissatisfied with the results, hence the infamous wrists comment.

Mendes wasn't engaged as well, don't like Skyfall all you like but if the crew and actors were honest, I know which film they preferred to be involved with.

I don't want Bond 25 just to be an excuse to throw the Bondian elements at Craig and hope they stick.

I just want a film that plays to his strengths for him to go out and not one that makes him try to be like other Bond's.

The obvious trying to graft Bondian elements on by Purvis & Wade stinks of desperation throughout in SPECTRE.

Yes and for the record I bloody hate the film.

It reminds me of the Brosnan era, possibly another reason why I feel the way I do.
    @Shardlake why did you have to remind me that the Two Stooges are still involved? :(
    Today is probably the most frustrated I’ve been with Eon. Filming has allegedly begun and we have no information. Which likely means further delays.

This time last week, I thought we would have a stacked news week. Alas, this hasn’t materialised.

The planning and organisation of this production has been an utter shambles.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 13,894
    -Gunbarrel at the beginning.
    -Slight Moore-esque gags.
    -Brosnan-esque quips.
    -Bond seduces a girl in a macho way.
    -World-domination ambition (okay, amidst a personal plot, but still Brofeld had a relevant ambition)
    -Bond stays with the leading girl at the end.
    -Aston with gadgets (even tough they fail), watch gadget too.
    -Proper Q lab scene from the first time since 2002.

Loved that.

If I may modify the list slightly:

-Gunbarrel at the beginning.
    -Slight Moore-esque gags.
    -Brosnan-esque quips.

-Bond seduces a girl in a macho way.
    -World-domination ambition (okay, amidst a personal plot, but still Brofeld had a relevant ambition)
    -Bond stays with the leading girl at the end.
    -Aston with gadgets (even tough they fail), watch gadget too.
    -Proper Q lab scene from the first time since 2002.
    -The Bond theme in all its glory
    Today is probably the most frustrated I’ve been with Eon. Filming has allegedly begun and we have no information. Which likely means further delays.

This time last week, I thought we would have a stacked news week. Alas, this hasn’t materialised.

Of all the words of mouth and pen, the saddest are these: PanchitoPistoles was right again.
    I have many issues with Spectre. Narrative-wise specifically because it doesn't hold itself together. But, I'd be lying if I said I don't like the film.

+1
    The Bondest Craig film so far.

+2

It has plenty of issues, but also some great moments.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 5,767
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Haha, for a Moment I read, "Rami Malek is still in New York Shooting MR." :-)).
    Long live Moonraker.
    Absolutely!

jake24 wrote: »
    Just rewatched the scene in SP, where Madeleine tells Bond about the time when she was forced to defend her father from a man who came to kill him.
    Doesn't this scene feel so much richer now that we've actually seen part of how that memory played out?
    No. It was already told, telling it again is redundant.

Just because Eon are running a tight ship and are successfully containing information does not mean there are or will be delays or the production is, in your words, "an utter shambles." What do you know about the production process? Eon will announce stuff when they are good and ready. It's their call, not yours.
    Thank you @ColonelSun, right on time again to inject some common sense into this thread. Much appreciated!

• edited April 2019 Posts: 17,280
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Just because Eon are running a tight ship and are successfully containing information does not mean there are or will be delays or the production is, in your words, "an utter shambles." What do you know about the production process? Eon will announce stuff when they are good and ready. It's their call, not yours.

Agree. Unless members have inside information that things are indeed "shambles", I can't see why they would even bother to claim this is the case.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Bond would view designer stubble as simply lazy /sloppy? it worked in skyfall because he was depressed but his shaving that off was a rebirth! He was a Royal Navy Commander ffs and is something of an old school masculinity snob..same reason John Glen would not let Tim's Bond keep his hands in his pockets (v alan partridge much as i love John and his work!): 'Tim..Bond's a Royal Navy Commander..he would not have his hands in his pockets' ;) That said..Fleming, incongruously has Bond both chewing gum and wearing short sleeved shirts / slip on shoes so..maybe there can be some compromises!

sean-connery-james-bond-three-piece-suit.jpg

I know plenty about the production process.

The fact that the film has been AWOL from any major announcements for weeks and only tabloid fodder has been released is worrying. Anyone who knows anything about the production aspect of filmmaking should be concerned about Bond 25. Especially, if they know how Eon operate.

I think we can all agree that after a getting and losing a prestige director, 6 month delay in production, and the release date getting pushed twice, this isn’t a “tight ship”. The production has clearly been in disarray and Fukunaga’s involvement has not been a complete panacea (especially with word of Scott Z Burns’s late involvement).

I’m not trying shit-stir or play into Panchito’s game. I appreciate your optimism and insight @ColonelSun but surely Eon have now reached the end of the ‘benefit of the doubt’ we were extending to them.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,619
    @Pierce2Daniel Comment of the month! As for “Panchito’s game”, I only care about the truth. The statement that EON is running a tight ship is not only not true, it’s simply ridiculous if one consideres all that happened during the pre-production of Spectre and since the release of that film.

EON was running a tight ship in the past and it’s entirely possible that they will be running a tight ship in the future. Having said that, they most certainly are not running a tight ship right now.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Ok, let's panic then :-bd
    giphy.webp
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    And, we're back to the glory days.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Agree. Unless members have inside information that things are indeed "shambles", I can't see why they would even bother to claim this is the case.

Same
  • RC7RC7
    An acquaintance of mine was on location in Norway and is now prepping for Jamaica. I will inform him of what a shambolic job he is doing.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 1,453

I know plenty about the production process.

The fact that the film has been AWOL from any major announcements for weeks and only tabloid fodder has been released is worrying. Anyone who knows anything about the production aspect of filmmaking should be concerned about Bond 25. Especially, if they know how Eon operate.

I think we can all agree that after a getting and losing a prestige director, 6 month delay in production, and the release date getting pushed twice, this isn’t a “tight ship”. The production has clearly been in disarray and Fukunaga’s involvement has not been a complete panacea (especially with word of Scott Z Burns’s late involvement).

I’m not trying shit-stir or play into Panchito’s game. I appreciate your optimism and insight @ColonelSun but surely Eon have now reached the end of the ‘benefit of the doubt’ we were extending to them.

I have two close friends working on Bond 25 right now. They are both veterans, having done every Bond since TND (one of them) and TWINE (the other) and the production is, as is always the case with Eon, extremely well organised and moving forward on schedule. They just completed a one week shoot in Norway with 300 crew etc. and it went very well, and now they are starting PP.

Hmm, don't like the direction this is going. Argue...nicely, yes?
    00Agent wrote: »
    Ok, let's panic then :-bd
    giphy.webp

@ColonelSun - don't be snide. I was treating you respectfully. I understand that Eon are a well organised outfit at the best of times. However, it is undeniable that Bond 25 has been hugely problematic.

You can't deny that.

I'm not usually a "sky is falling" person. Whilst your insider knowledge and info is brilliant, it's still somewhat redundant when compared to the official story from Eon productions. According to them, shooting was to begin on 4 March.

We are now over a month from then.

I just think an update or some sign of life in the official trades - casting updates, etc - would help compliment the insider knowledge being touted on these forums.

When MI6community becomes more authoritative a source of info than Eon, then you know you have a problem...
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,318
    Yeah, let's not get our panties into a twist yet again. Chill, fellas.
    @ColonelSun Is a production that’s “moving forward on schedule” after two delays really moving forward on schedule? As for your friends, would someone who has worked on every Bond since TND ever admit that a Bond production is not extremely well organized? It would be like a parent saying that their child isn’t bright.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Things have gone far from smoothly with this film. This tweet explains the situation perfectly:

In contrast to both SF and SP - we knew the locations, crew, cast and title of the film at this stage. With QOS, we knew everything except the title. The only real comparator is CR where we didn't know the supporting cast till later in the process. Nonetheless, there was extensive reporting prior.

With Bond 25 there has been radio silence....

I'm praying for a press release today or official word of something. I'd happily settle for casting scoop on Deadline or something. There are at least two key female roles up for grabs.

This film is at little over a year away and the lack of news suggests delays.

Anyway, in other amazing news, Sam Mendes has begun filming his new film 21917" and according to reports it's going to be one long take. Akin to the opening of Spectre. I'm practically drooling think of this. Sam! we need you! I forgive you for Spectre.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/universal-wows-cinemacon-with-diverse-slate-from-hobbs-shaw-to-downton-abbey-cats-1202055654/

And it's going to be shot by Roger Deakins! Mendes is getting all the Oscars in 2020.
    So, what is your concern? That the film isn't actually in production. As far as we can tell it is. As a result do you suspect that the film release will be delayed?

Or, simply that they have kept tight reigns on every aspect of this production?

Is a press conference the only thing you need to feel better about the state of the film?

From my point of view the film will appear next April and there's nothing to suggest otherwise to me. And that is all that concerns me.

I really couldn't care less if there is a press conference or not.
    I don't care if they don't release the film title at all.
    I'm not bothered about when they tell me who is in the cast.

There are too many other things in my life that concern me more.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 53
    One was loathe to actually sign up having been happily lurking in the shadows, so to speak, for far too many years, but ironically it is the sheer amount of negativity that has lured me in to pass what will, unfortunately or not, go down as my first comment.

There is of course no denying the fact that production of Bond 25 has rather been put through the mill. Yes there has been delays, rumours swirling about scripts, the change in director... Of that nobody can deny. But with each issue that has emerged a fix has been announced not long after. Be it the renewed release date rather than a "to be confirmed" , The employment of a temporary script doctor to see what could be tweaked, or the swift hire of a very intriquing and, dare I say, artistic choice of director - all suggesting that those in command are well aware of the issues they have faced and are prepared to engage in actions to fix that which they perceive to be is broken. And being in charge, they are the ones best to perceive. Not those relying on the false or bitter musings of anonymous social media based "sources"

Having quite happily observed these forums for numerous years I've noticed during this pre production a level of almost... Entitlement has set in amongst some. The idea that we, as fans, deserve answers. Deserve communication. Deserve a press conference even. The fact is, we don't. Eon are a company that make the Bond films. That, as recent filming evidence shows, is exactly what they are doing.

It's not that a lack of clarity is even without precedent either. One wonders how this place would have reacted had it been around between the licence to kill and goldeneye years. Problems occur. The trick is celebrating as they are resolved. Rather than dwell on why they were made. It's not even without precedent in the Bond universe either. Look no further than Star Wars and their recent supporting films. Overseen by the entity that is Disney. Have they also not had script issues? Director issues? Delays? Did they take to twitter to announce every gory detail about what had went wrong? Or did they, with their undoubtedly huge marketing department, merely acknowledge, as Eon have done, what the next steps going forwards are. All without a press conference. Or clapperboards.

So I'm not denying there has been problems. There clearly has. That is evidenced by the solutions that have been, and are being, worked on. The film is after all, still in pre production. It may not even have a title - quantum didn't until the night before the press event as story would have it. They might not have a script - think it's general consensus that tomorrow never dies never had a set one throughout. They may not even have the cast set in stone - be it through the lack of finalised script or, as it may seem, the filming commitments some of the rumoured cast seem to have. All of which dissuade official announcements. All of which deter a press event.

I'm not for one moment criticising people's passion for the series. Even passion that is developing, it seems, into a constant dawn of pessimism. But the fact is we're not entitled to anything. As Die Another Day proved (subjectively) we're not even entitled to a good film. (though it is my genuine belief that a good movie does exist behind the cgi and quips). We're all here because we're fans of a franchise that no matter what has been thrown at it, no matter the plaudits or critics, has endured for nigh on 60 years. Problems or otherwise, I think in that time Eon may have just perhaps learnt a thing or two about making a bond film. Even if it doesn't always go smoothly. And they don't always tell the fans every little detail, positive or negative, that goes on behind the scenes. I can fully understand why this can get people's backs up, why people go into panic mode and why in turn that incenses other people into creating this semi poisonous atmosphere that seems to have taken hold. Only to briefly lift and descend again with more aggresive "I told you so" bitterness. Criticise where criticism is due. Praise what ought to be praised. But for goodness sake, please try and rememeber that we're all fans here before descending into the keyboard warrior like villainy that I myself have seemingly been forced to engage in to try and offer my opinionated reason.

The movie is being made. To paraphrase a controversial figure: its been a long time, but finally, here we are.

And as a post script. Apologies for the lengthy post and possible bad grammar and spelling. It seems typing your first post on a mobile whilst at work and not being too certain of the forum you're using rather leads to errors. Hopefully I'm not judged too harshly for that, nor for attempting to get my point across. Debate after all is healthy, just try and note that in turn, diatribe is tiresome.

Respect to you all
    One was loathe to actually sign up having been happily lurking in the shadows, so to speak, for far too many years, but ironically it is the sheer amount of negativity that has lured me in to pass what will unfortunately or not go down as my first comment.

There is of course no denying the fact that production of Bond 25 has rather been put through the mill. Yes there has been delays, rumours swirling about scripts, the change in director... Of that nobody can deny. But with each issue that has emerged a fix has been announced not long after. Be it the renewed release date rather than a to be confirmed, The employment of a temporary script doctor to see what could be tweaked or the swift hire of a very intriquing and, dare I say, artistic choice of director - all suggesting that those in command are well aware of the issues they have faced and are prepared to engage in actions to fix that which they perceive to be is broken. And being in charge, they are the ones best to perceive. Not those relying on the false or bitter musings of anonymous social media based "sources"

Having quite happily observed these forums for numerous years I've noticed during this pre production a level of almost... Entitlement has set in amongst some. The idea that we, as fans, deserve answers. Deserve communication. Deserve a press conference even. The fact is, we don't. Eon are a company that make the Bond films. That, as recent filming evidence shows, is exactly what they are doing.

It's not that a lack of clarity is even without precedent either. One wonders how this place would have reacted had it been around between the licence to kill and goldeneye years. Problems occur. The trick is celebrating as they are resolved. Rather than dwell on why they were made. It'd not even without precedent in the Bond universe either. Look no further than Star Wars and their recent supporting films. Overseen by the the entity that is Disney. Have they also not had script issues? Director issues? Delays? Did they take to twitter to announce every gory detail about what had went wrong. Or did they, with their undoubtedly huge marketing department, merely acknowledge, as Eon have done, what the next steps going forwards are. All without a press conference. Or clapperboards.

So I'm not denying there has been problems. There clearly has. That is evidenced by the solutions that have been and are being worked on. The film is after all, still in pre production. It may not even have a title - quantum didn't until the night before the press event as story would have it. They might not have a script - think it's gwneral consensus that tomorrow never dies never had a set one throughout. They may not even have the cast set in stone - be it through the lack of finalised script or, as it may seem, the filing commitments some of the rumoured cast seem to have. All of which dissuade official announcements. All of which deter a press event.

I'm not for one moment criticising people's passion for the series. Even passion that is developing, it seems, into a constant dawn of pessimism. But the fact is we're not entitled to anything. As Die Another Day proved (subjectively) we're not even entitled to a good film. (though it is my genuine belief that a good movie goes exist behind the cgi and quips). We're all here because we're fans of a franchise that no matter what has been thrown at is, no matter the plaudits or critics, has endured for nigh on 60 years. Problems or otherwise, I think in that time Eon may have just perhaps learnt a thing or two about making a bond film. Even if it doesn't always go smoothly. And they don't always tell the fans every little detail, positive or negative, that goes on behind the scenes. I can fully understand why this can get people's backs up, why people go into panic mode and why in turn that incenses other people into creating this semi poisonous atmosphere that seems to have taken hold. Only to briefly lift and descend again with more aggresive "I told you so" bitterness. Criticise where criticism is due. Praise what ought to be praised. But for goodness sake, please try and rememeber that we're all fans here before descending into the keyboard warrior like villainy that I myself have seemingly been forced to engage in to try and offer my opinionated reason.

The movie is being made. To paraphrase a controversial figure: its been a long time, but finally, here we are.

And as a post script. Apologies for the lengthy post and possible bad grammar and spelling. It seems typing your first post on a mobile whilst at work and not being too certain of the forum you're using rather leads to errors. Hopefully I'm not judged too harshly for that, nor for attempting to get my point across. Debate after all is healthy, just try and note that diatribe is tiresome.

Respect to you all

Props to anyone who actually read this.

Try to be be more concise.

Anyway.....Jodie Comer's involvement is looking very very unlikely. She started filming 'Fll Guy' with Ryan Reynolds last week and her show, 'Killing Eve' is back this weekend. This story is just the tabloids having a slow news day.

She's unavailable.

Plus, whilst I think she's great as the mischievous Villanelle. I just think she's a little bit of a plain and boring white girl. Does little for me.