No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I'd rather Bond never sports a stubble. A stubble isn't a respected stature for a gentleman.

Says who?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd rather Bond never sports a stubble. A stubble isn't a respected stature for a gentleman.
    Says who?
    Cultural standards.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires

Agree, brother. Stubble makes Craig like... 10 years older!
    The only Bond who looked great with a slight five o'clock shadow was Pierce, and they had a very good reason for this: even at 42, Brosnan looked quite "baby face" so they let him sport a very slight five o'clock shadow to "rough him up a bit". This said by MakeUp Supervisor Linda DeVetta in The Making of GoldenEye (Garth Pearce, Boxtree, 1995).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    talos7 wrote: »
    What a great cause and really well produced spot.
    Daniel does look great but I do hope he ditches the white stubble.

+1

Didn’t craig or someone say recently he will have gray in his hair while filming
    Always prefer Bond to be clean shaven if asked? But it is good to see him looking as rough as us mere mortals! Lol!

Well if the Press Conference is mid to late April? I finish for 2 weeks off work a week on Saturday! Bonus!!!!
    Bond having gray in his hair would actually be terrific. It'd make him look seasoned and a cultured badass at the same time.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 10,588
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Didn’t craig or someone say recently he will have gray in his hair while filming
    That was fake.

The idea of stubble not being acceptable stature for a gentleman is slightly dated, in my view. That said, I'd prefer if Bond remain clean shaven, but I wouldn't be opposed to a few scenes with the stubble provided it fits Bond's current state.

It's not all grey, is it?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,318
    A well kept sharp looking stubble/ short beard, white or not, certainly can suit a modern day gentleman. Get with the times. Craig could look better with it. Women most of the time love it.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,756
    Says who?
    Cultural standards.

Midcentury standards. Before that a gentleman could have a long mustache. As long as he keeps his appearance to a high standard, I don't particularly see the problem. Whether that be a nicely cut and waxed mustache, a baby butt smooth shave, or a finely trimmed and well-kept stubble/beard.

I do agree though if Bond is going to a very fancy event, he should shave.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 10,588
    https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/thesourcesa/meet-bollinger-champagnes-guy-de-rivoire/news-story/83db65d8af695671cc61b136c7ec246d

We are releasing a new James Bond-related Cuvee later this year. There’s a new Bond movie coming up and we want to celebrate 40 years of partnership between James Bond and Bollinger. - Guy De Rivoire, Bollinger Sales Director
    Says who?
    Cultural standards.

Midcentury standards. Before that a gentleman could have a long mustache. As long as he keeps his appearance to a high standard, I don't particularly see the problem. Whether that be a nicely cut and waxed mustache, a baby butt smooth shave, or a finely trimmed and well-kept stubble/beard.

I do agree though if Bond is going to a very fancy event, he should shave.
    Stubble isn't gentlemanly in the slightest. Midcentury only to those who don't really fancy the idea of their fashion standards not meeting the demands of what it'd take to reach that plateau. A trimmed beard, however, would be acceptable. A full goatee, that is. Not Bond's style at all, but nevertheless something gentlemanly.

Mustaches, nowadays, however, give the wrong impression. Something I won't go far into. It worked for David Niven, Burt Reynolds, Clark Gable and Errol Flynn. It won't go well with today's fashion sense.
    I can remember the Skyfall stubble being intensely controversial in early pre-production, too. Not only was it a great, character-enhancing note in the eventual film, but there's utterly zero controversy around it retrospectively.

So I'm going to go with the theory that, stubble-in-the-film or not for #Bond25, it will ultimately end up a non-issue.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Stubble is for Indiana Jones, out in the jungle. Bond's appearance should be defined by character... clean shaven shows a trait of pedantic self-control and determination.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Stubble is for Indiana Jones, out in the jungle. Bond's appearance should be defined by character... clean shaven shows a trait of pedantic self-control and determination.

Yes, and isn’t Indy clean shaven when he is “professor Jones.”?
    DoctorNo wrote: »

As does excessive gambling and alcohol consumption? ;)

I'm with you, mostly. My preferred Bond look would be clean-shaven, unless a logical narrative or character reasoning gives him cause to choose otherwise.

It's an interesting question, certainly. Just in my own life, I prefer that style as well -- but I'm guilty of a few days each week where I let the stubble come in. And I am surprised, often, how many people say it's a better look for me and I should adopt it regularly. Tastes certainly seem to be shifting.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    jake24 wrote: »
    https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/thesourcesa/meet-bollinger-champagnes-guy-de-rivoire/news-story/83db65d8af695671cc61b136c7ec246d

We are releasing a new James Bond-related Cuvee later this year. There’s a new Bond movie coming up and we want to celebrate 40 years of partnership between James Bond and Bollinger. - Guy De Rivoire, Bollinger Sales Director

Nice!
    I think the stubble routine went on a bit too long in SF. It's one thing to represent Bond as unshaven, and worn out from his failed mission, but he should have had it together by the time he went in for his re-evaluation training.
    Once we get to the Shanghai scenes, it's almost as if Bond was consciously trying out a new look, and the film wasn't daring enough to go all the way and stick with it.
    Honestly, I'll take Connery's heavy sideburns and slight paunch in DAF
    over Craig's trendy buzzed/stubble 2012 look in SF.

I must say though I do love Pierce's 5 O'clock shadow in GE.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 19,339
    jake24 wrote: »

Yes.....considerably....
    bollinger.jpg
    Best Craig-look ever:
    MV5BMTIyMjQ3MDcxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAxNjE3MQ@@._V1_.jpg
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Zekidk totally agree mate. Craig's look and wardrobe was probably the best aspect of Quantum

On the stubble business, I'm not too fussed honestly. Provided Daniel looks sharp and or it fits the narrative. Pierce suited his short stubble 5 o'clock shadow look in Goldeneye. I personally try and sport this look but I'm no Brosnan.
    Bond would view designer stubble as simply lazy /sloppy? it worked in skyfall because he was depressed but his shaving that off was a rebirth! He was a Royal Navy Commander ffs and is something of an old school masculinity snob..same reason John Glen would not let Tim's Bond keep his hands in his pockets (v alan partridge much as i love John and his work!): 'Tim..Bond's a Royal Navy Commander..he would not have his hands in his pockets' ;) That said..Fleming, incongruously has Bond both chewing gum and wearing short sleeved shirts / slip on shoes so..maybe there can be some compromises!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,533
    I usually have stubble or a beard but I think Bond should remain clean shaven. Pierce looked great with it though so he's the exception. He looked a little too baby faced without it at first. Kind of like myself. Craig looks better and younger without it which can't hurt at this point.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    White stubble looks old.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Didn't know this became the beard thread oh well lol I guess we got really nothing to talk about but waiting around for the press conference anyway might as well.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Best Craig-look ever:
    MV5BMTIyMjQ3MDcxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAxNjE3MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Bond’s casual wear has never been better than in Quantum of Solace. @DoctorNo disproved his own point I think, bonds appearance should be defined by character, and the stubble is highly appropriate, for this reason, in certain contexts. Worked brilliantly in Skyfall and paved the way for the wonderful shaving moment and the rejuvenation of Bond.
    Craig looked best escaping oberhausers base
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator

Out of all his movies?
  • RC7RC7

Not gonna lie, it got a lot of stick here, but it’s bad ass.