No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I have been watching on the sides, but to be honest, everytime I log into this thread for B25 news, I am bombarded with forum members attacking each other.

This is no place to enjoy Bond anymore, instead we have individuals full of hate and angst that rant against anything and cannot be calmed by voices of reason. I wish the mods were running a tighter ship here.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I have been watching on the sides, but to be honest, everytime I log into this thread for B25 news, I am bombarded with forum members attacking each other.

This is no place to enjoy Bond anymore, instead we have individuals full of hate and angst that rant against anything and cannot be calmed by voices of reason. I wish the mods were running a tighter ship here.
    I don’t think anyone is full of hate here. I also don’t think there is anything wrong with heated debates as long as there is no personal attacks involved and everyone is respectful of others.

It seems to me some people here want everyone to agree with everyone all the time. Please tell me I’m wrong!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @HalfOfEverything . Well, I did read it, and as first posts go it was a humdinger, mark my word.

But, it made far too much sense for this thread.

A press conference, by the way, isn't done for the benefit of the fans, it's done for the promotion of the film. To whet the appetites of the general movie going public, not the 0.01% who are hard line Bond fans.So timing is everything.
    When it appears it will be timed to perfection.
    Sometimes, no news is good news.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Once again, just because a film hasn't spoon fed the public with every detail and morsel doesn't mean that it is in trouble, that there are problems, that delays are on the horizon or that when one actor is papped out of context in another city automatically makes production and agent diary experts of everyone sat at home.

Whilst it is part of the pre-match fever and the fandom of it all, fans blowing up, running with and then deflating every rumour like Circus Circus balloons appears to this bullet catcher to be ever futile and unnecessarily cynical.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Ok I'll jump in. Tweets mean nothing. Anyone can tweet a response to...anything.
    The fact that EON aren't posting anything online doesn't suggest that there will be a delay. Merely that they will announce something, when they're ready.
    We can demand, wish for, want or really really hope for news all we want. But EON will give us news when they're ready.
    The March shooting date could've been for second unit or Norway filming. When did it say it was for principal photography.

The hostility seen in this thread is concerning, considering that its all based on speculation. A Bond film is being made, it will be released in 2020. We'll find out more when we do. Patience dear Bond fans...patience.
    Today is probably the most frustrated I’ve been with Eon. Filming has allegedly begun and we have no information. Which likely means further delays.

This time last week, I thought we would have a stacked news week. Alas, this hasn’t materialised.

The planning and organisation of this production has been an utter shambles.

Well, I can't entirely agree because ultimately I haven't got a view into the 'behind-the-scenes.' (And really none of us does; some here might might have second- or third-hand info from sources but none it is naked-eye data.)

But, what I can say is that from a messaging point of view EON have a hell of a job ahead of them:

Every time I see B25 mentioned in the press, it's described as a 'troubled production.' Mention is made of the tortured journey of the script and the cycling through Boyle, etc.

Now, that might not be fair, and the media might be mischaracterizing things. But that's the popular narrative out there at the moment and EON will need to do a lot of digging to turn this around.

It's hard for me to stop from feeling that EON once again find themselves in a tricky situation largely of their own making. Either way it's their problem to fix now. . . the sooner the better!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    NicNac wrote: »
    @HalfOfEverything . Well, I did read it, and as first posts go it was a humdinger, mark my word.

But, it made far too much sense for this thread.

A press conference, by the way, isn't done for the benefit of the fans, it's done for the promotion of the film. To whet the appetites of the general movie going public, not the 0.01% who are hard line Bond fans.So timing is everything.
    When it appears it will be timed to perfection.

Yep. Absolutely nothing wrong with that post. It's as concise as anyone else's posts have been. Perhaps I'm just used to reading long winded updates from others, and that's why it was a doddle to read. Welcome to the narcissistic fun house, @HalfOfEverything
    I cannot see anything remotely "snidey" or "snide" that @ColonelSun stated in his post. Though I did notice a snide response to @HalfOfEverything's first post.

Look on the bright side: There'll be little to no spoilers on this thread for the unforeseeable future. Hopefully you'll be able to go into the cinema knowing next to nothing about B25. Who knows, in the long run, you might even thank Eon for it?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,756
    I don't think there is a delay, but I think EON is keeping way too tight of a ship on information. I enjoy speculation here a lot. I enjoy the arguing, the disagreement. This is what makes this thread so entertaining, and alive! How boring would this thread be if it was so positive? I'd barely come here.

As for @HalfOfEverything, I really have to roll my eyes at these posts. It seems to be a common trend; a lurker comes onto the forums, and attempts to do a long psychoanalysis of this thread, which rambles on far too long and says far too little.

Anyways, if I was EON, with all of the bad press surrounding the writing, the director changes, etc, I would try to show off a bit. I mean a bit of positive news like the PP starting would be great PR. But hey! Their decision, I'm just a desperate Bond fan.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Thank you @ColonelSun, right on time again to inject some common sense into this thread. Much appreciated!

+1
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I thought perhaps I've been the most impatient during this entire process so far. Let's see what the month of April brings. I trust the sources on this forum who willingly share inside information with the rest of us. When people say they know people working on the set, and everything is going smoothly, I will place my trust in them. As for the press conference, let's see if the Norwegian contact was correct about "late April."

If we don't know anything new (and I mean ANYTHING) by month's end, then I'd say the panic is justified.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    There is only one important question to be answered: does EoN owe us anything information wise?
    There is only one important question to be answered: does EoN owe us anything information wise?

"Owe us?" No, of course not. I'm sure no reasonable person is arguing otherwise. They're a private company, they don't 'owe' anyone anything beyond the letter of the law.

But to my mind, that's not the important question (least of all on a speculation thread).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Also let’s not forget with just over a year away from release, probably a bit soon to be giving us all the information :/

Plus I’d rather wait for the press conference than read the announcement in a news article that just cares about the attention it gets rather than the contents.

Eon have their own special way of doings things and I’d rather it stayed that way :)

EON doesn't owe us anything other than a release next year. They don't have to give us a trailer or any information if they wish.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Today is probably the most frustrated I’ve been with Eon. Filming has allegedly begun and we have no information. Which likely means further delays.

This time last week, I thought we would have a stacked news week. Alas, this hasn’t materialised.

The planning and organisation of this production has been an utter shambles.

Just because Eon are running a tight ship and are successfully containing information does not mean there are or will be delays or the production is, in your words, "an utter shambles." What do you know about the production process? Eon will announce stuff when they are good and ready. It's their call, not yours.

I know plenty about the production process.

The fact that the film has been AWOL from any major announcements for weeks and only tabloid fodder has been released is worrying. Anyone who knows anything about the production aspect of filmmaking should be concerned about Bond 25. Especially, if they know how Eon operate.

I think we can all agree that after a getting and losing a prestige director, 6 month delay in production, and the release date getting pushed twice, this isn’t a “tight ship”. The production has clearly been in disarray and Fukunaga’s involvement has not been a complete panacea (especially with word of Scott Z Burns’s late involvement).

I’m not trying shit-stir or play into Panchito’s game. I appreciate your optimism and insight @ColonelSun but surely Eon have now reached the end of the ‘benefit of the doubt’ we were extending to them.

I have two close friends working on Bond 25 right now. They are both veterans, having done every Bond since TND (one of them) and TWINE (the other) and the production is, as is always the case with Eon, extremely well organised and moving forward on schedule. They just completed a one week shoot in Norway with 300 crew etc. and it went very well, and now they are starting PP.

Thanks @ColonelSun!! As always your posts help us when there is less news and we become overly worried. I appreciate knowing that according to people working on the project it is all going smoothly. I look forward to learning more but can also appreciate EONs attempt to keep more of this film a surprise
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,318
    octofinger wrote: »

"Owe us?" No, of course not. I'm sure no reasonable person is arguing otherwise. They're a private company, they don't 'owe' anyone anything beyond the letter of the law.

But to my mind, that's not the important question (least of all on a speculation thread).

It actually is one of the most important questions, because quite a lot of members on here act as if EoN owes them the world and then some. Hence my question.

EON doesn't owe us anything other than a release next year. They don't have to give us a trailer or any information if they wish.

My point being. Basically this thread, filled with hype, testosterone and little patience brings out the worst in many of us. Like @NicNac stated, we should have better things to do. Time to reflect perhaps and pop on one out of 24.

It actually is one of the most important questions, because quite a lot of members on here act as if EoN owes them the world and then some. Hence my question.

My point being. Basically this thread, filled with hype, testosterone and little patience brings out the worst in many of us. Like @NicNac stated, we should have better things to do. Time to reflect perhaps and pop on one out of 24.

You're certainly allowed to go do that.

Beyond scolding us, I'm not sure what the point of this digression was.
    To be fair, we are going by what we had in the last two productions. We have substantially more info at that point. Both SP and SF had their presser before PP and about a year from their release.

Then again, we got our Quantum of Solace press conference and title reveal on January 24, 2008, which was just 9 months before release. If we go by Quantum of Solace, then we'll still need to wait 86 days after Monday until we get a press conference. Then again, the patience back then was good since it hadn't even been a year and a half since the last Bond film.
    Oh well, nothing this week then?!!! Lol! Time to get in football mode!!!!
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 53
    Thanks for the welcome and support @NicNac @CraigMooreOHMSS and @bondsum - it is appreciated in all degrees :)

And indeed thank you for the, shall we say, constructive criticism, @dominicgreene. Anyone that also sees the good in QoS can't be all bad after all!

One was merely trying to provide a mood board of what the casual observer of these forums is perhaps thinking and how in turn it may be offputting to them, whether to read or to make the first step and join lest they instantly be dismissed.

Lurker or long time member I'm a firm believer that everyone's opinion is valid providing sufficient explanation. I guess I got lost in my prose and will always fully accept that I am more than occasionally prone to a good essay, rather than a pithy retort... as much as I am aware that to be concise can be interpreted as to be blunt. I will however - this response obviously withstanding, props indeed to all who read both ;) - try to recall I am engaging in a discussion, not a dissertation :'). That, it would seem, would be the best way to convey that my views are actually aligned with others, rather than them being seen as a psychoanalytic attack - an interpretation I can understand. My apologies therefore to anyone who took issue with the rambling points I made and appreciation to any that took the time to read and agree.

With that serious business out the way I fully intend to embrace the actual discussion haha. Cheers All.

• edited April 2019 Posts: 616
    I'm guessing the majority of time spent at the Norway shoot consisted of cast and crew waiting around for script pages.
    Can we relax people honestly..... I never understood this I want it now now now now of the younger generation at 32 I am perfectly fine with waiting I have other interests hobbies etc
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Wow, just last week everything was so positive...
    The film itself is in production. The gap is over. We'll get an announcement in due time.
    Besides, Craig is looking great and this could turn out to be as excellent as CR.

You're certainly allowed to go do that.

Beyond scolding us, I'm not sure what the point of this digression was.

Perhaps an idea to read this thread, you'll get an idea eventually. Also, I said quite a lot of members, so certainly not everyone. Don't feel offended, even though that is still a very 2019 thing to do.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Can we relax people honestly..... I never understood this I want it now now now now of the younger generation at 32 I am perfectly fine with waiting I have other interests hobbies etc

This, just like I said.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,165
    One was loathe to actually sign up having been happily lurking in the shadows, so to speak, for far too many years, but ironically it is the sheer amount of negativity that has lured me in to pass what will unfortunately or not go down as my first comment.

There is of course no denying the fact that production of Bond 25 has rather been put through the mill. Yes there has been delays, rumours swirling about scripts, the change in director... Of that nobody can deny. But with each issue that has emerged a fix has been announced not long after. Be it the renewed release date rather than a to be confirmed, The employment of a temporary script doctor to see what could be tweaked or the swift hire of a very intriquing and, dare I say, artistic choice of director - all suggesting that those in command are well aware of the issues they have faced and are prepared to engage in actions to fix that which they perceive to be is broken. And being in charge, they are the ones best to perceive. Not those relying on the false or bitter musings of anonymous social media based "sources"

Having quite happily observed these forums for numerous years I've noticed during this pre production a level of almost... Entitlement has set in amongst some. The idea that we, as fans, deserve answers. Deserve communication. Deserve a press conference even. The fact is, we don't. Eon are a company that make the Bond films. That, as recent filming evidence shows, is exactly what they are doing.

It's not that a lack of clarity is even without precedent either. One wonders how this place would have reacted had it been around between the licence to kill and goldeneye years. Problems occur. The trick is celebrating as they are resolved. Rather than dwell on why they were made. It'd not even without precedent in the Bond universe either. Look no further than Star Wars and their recent supporting films. Overseen by the the entity that is Disney. Have they also not had script issues? Director issues? Delays? Did they take to twitter to announce every gory detail about what had went wrong. Or did they, with their undoubtedly huge marketing department, merely acknowledge, as Eon have done, what the next steps going forwards are. All without a press conference. Or clapperboards.

So I'm not denying there has been problems. There clearly has. That is evidenced by the solutions that have been and are being worked on. The film is after all, still in pre production. It may not even have a title - quantum didn't until the night before the press event as story would have it. They might not have a script - think it's gwneral consensus that tomorrow never dies never had a set one throughout. They may not even have the cast set in stone - be it through the lack of finalised script or, as it may seem, the filing commitments some of the rumoured cast seem to have. All of which dissuade official announcements. All of which deter a press event.

I'm not for one moment criticising people's passion for the series. Even passion that is developing, it seems, into a constant dawn of pessimism. But the fact is we're not entitled to anything. As Die Another Day proved (subjectively) we're not even entitled to a good film. (though it is my genuine belief that a good movie goes exist behind the cgi and quips). We're all here because we're fans of a franchise that no matter what has been thrown at is, no matter the plaudits or critics, has endured for nigh on 60 years. Problems or otherwise, I think in that time Eon may have just perhaps learnt a thing or two about making a bond film. Even if it doesn't always go smoothly. And they don't always tell the fans every little detail, positive or negative, that goes on behind the scenes. I can fully understand why this can get people's backs up, why people go into panic mode and why in turn that incenses other people into creating this semi poisonous atmosphere that seems to have taken hold. Only to briefly lift and descend again with more aggresive "I told you so" bitterness. Criticise where criticism is due. Praise what ought to be praised. But for goodness sake, please try and rememeber that we're all fans here before descending into the keyboard warrior like villainy that I myself have seemingly been forced to engage in to try and offer my opinionated reason.

The movie is being made. To paraphrase a controversial figure: its been a long time, but finally, here we are.

And as a post script. Apologies for the lengthy post and possible bad grammar and spelling. It seems typing your first post on a mobile whilst at work and not being too certain of the forum you're using rather leads to errors. Hopefully I'm not judged too harshly for that, nor for attempting to get my point across. Debate after all is healthy, just try and note that diatribe is tiresome.

Respect to you all

Props to anyone who actually read this.

Try to be be more concise.
    Hey now, that was uncalled for. Stop being such an entitled bully, and after whining about 'snide retorts' too.
    To be fair, we are going by what we had in the last two productions. We have substantially more info at that point. Both SP and SF had their presser before PP and about a year from their release.

Then again, we got our Quantum of Solace press conference and title reveal on January 24, 2008, which was just 9 months before release. If we go by Quantum of Solace, then we'll still need to wait 86 days after Monday until we get a press conference. Then again, the patience back then was good since it hadn't even been a year and a half since the last Bond film.

Thanks for this post, @dominicgreene. And thank you @ColonelSun for your insights earlier about B25's production thus far. Encouraging to hear it's going well.

I think the attitude on this forum recently boils down to a few things.

1) Uncharacteristically long gap since the last Bond, which dials up the tension and anticipation for all of us and is making some tempers noticeably short.

2) Uncharacteristically difficult narrative leading up to B25's production. Director, no director, delay, new director, another delay. Even as a staunch EON defender and huge Bond fan, I can't claim this hasn't been an emotional rollercoaster. It certainly has.

3) Online discourse, at least the way it's currently functioning, fosters neither patience nor the appreciation of context. I'd stop short of saying "entitlement", but it's clear many fans nowadays (of many franchises, not just Bond) are looking for far more immediate gratification that's precisely inline with their preset expectations. When it doesn't happen, angst ensues.

When you combine them all, it's no surprise we're seeing the discourse go the way it's gone. I think all we can do is collectively try and remain constructive, hopeful, and understand that everything's moving forward and fine.

And as frustrating as these final moments are before the big reveals, when they do happen, they're going to more than satisfy and completely reset the tone of that discourse to something more positive. Just think of how differently things swung as recently as last week, when we got our first photos.

Bond 25 is in full production as we speak. It's a good time. Enjoy it.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Risico007 wrote: »

I'm 28 and I'm a Bond-addict, with Bond being on top of my other passions. But still, I'm not angry at no B25 news. I wish there were, but I have the other 24 + NSNA + CR'67 to watch and rewatch. And some other titles as well. So, I'm among the people who could wait for big things. I had no PC at home until I was 18, no internet until I was 22, I went for news to a cybercafé. Benefits of a childhood without technology, I guess ;)