No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Can we relax people honestly..... I never understood this I want it now now now now of the younger generation at 32 I am perfectly fine with waiting I have other interests hobbies etc

I'm 28 and I'm a Bond-addict, with Bond being on top of my other passions. But still, I'm not angry at no B25 news. I wish there were, but I have the other 24 + NSNA + CR'67 to watch and rewatch. And some other titles as well. So, I'm among the people who could wait for big things. I had no PC at home until I was 18, no internet until I was 22, I went for news to a cybercafé. Benefits of a childhood without technology, I guess ;)

That sounds remarkably close to myself, on all points :) @NS_writings
    Also, in the absence of news that we have right now, i simply CHOOSE to believe that EoN is cooking up what might be one of the best and most special films we ever had in the franchise, as there are absolutely no reasons not to.

Everything that lead up to this point were concious decissions, even the Boyle firing.
    If EoN wanted to deliver a subpar film, they could have done so month ago. This is not their first rodeo.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    edited April 2019 Posts: 252
    Can we relax people honestly..... I never understood this I want it now now now now of the younger generation at 32 I am perfectly fine with waiting I have other interests hobbies etc

I'm 28 and I'm a Bond-addict, with Bond being on top of my other passions. But still, I'm not angry at no B25 news. I wish there were, but I have the other 24 + NSNA + CR'67 to watch and rewatch. And some other titles as well. So, I'm among the people who could wait for big things. I had no PC at home until I was 18, no internet until I was 22, I went for news to a cybercafé. Benefits of a childhood without technology, I guess ;)

I had no internet until I was 27.

But I am 52 now ;-)
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited April 2019 Posts: 544
    One wonders how this place would have reacted had it been around between the licence to kill and goldeneye years.

@HalfOfEverything I took some creative licence to imagine it... :D

daltonout.jpg

"Damn!!! James Bond is over forever!!! We will never have another Bond film in the rest of our lives, EON should give Bond to Kevin McClory, he can ask Connery back and make Never Ever Say Never Again."

00Agent wrote: »

That sounds remarkably close to myself, on all points :) @NS_writings
    Also, in the absence of news that we have right now, i simply CHOOSE to believe that EoN is cooking up what might be one of the best and most special films we ever had in the franchise, as there are absolutely no reasons not to.

Everything that lead up to this point were concious decissions, even the Boyle firing.
    If EoN wanted to deliver a subpar film, they could have done so month ago. This is not their first rodeo.

Exactly, we won't know what's happening inside the 007 Stage. Maybe they don't want us to know for a reason.

I waited a long time before getting internet as well.

I'm with John McClane in that technology peaked with frozen pizza.

In fact I didn't even get into CD's until shortly before Ipods became the norm. Vinyl LPs all the way!
    ToTheRight wrote: »

In fact I didn't even get into CD's until shortly before Ipods became the norm. Vinyl LPs all the way!

to be fair driving while listening to records usually makes the tracks skip

LOL! But a least you get that warm analog sound.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He has definably trimmed down.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    So Craig is definitely not filming I guess...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You guys should check the dates that those pics were snapped.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Yeah it looks pretty old.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 53
    Also fully in agreement with your post regarding the benefits of a childhood without technology @NS_writings - in a world of instant communication perhaps few now appreciate the required patience that developed, in the bygone days, when dial up was buffering. Indeed there is plenty to occupy the bond related mind in the meantime. Including your amusing -albeit likely accurate - creative licensing :’) !

Ironically LTK and GE are two of my favourites, perhaps that’s why I’m largely ambivalent to what’s going on currently. Only back then they spent the entirety it seems of the six years actively trying to get a movie into production. Currently, I believe, and thus why I’m not worried, they only started looking seriously into B25 as of last year, with all the main players having decided to take a bit of a break and engage in other projects after Spectre. So it’s not like they’ve spent the entire gap between frantically trying to pull something together. It’s only the past several months things for B25 have really seriously seemed to come into play- including all the problems relating to it. Either way, It’s being made now, that’s mostly what matters!

(Also appreciate the defence @Minion :) )

peter wrote: »
    When were they snapped?
    Today is cubby’s birthday. I thought they were starting at pinewood today ????
    When were they snapped?

Given their outfits it looks like it was during winter in New York, possibly Jan or Feb? The weather there would be so much warmer in April.
    Tuck91 wrote: »

What happened to that?
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 53
    @PanchitoPistoles likewise I can’t put an exact date to the pictures, but @peter is correct to be observant - The article states that they were taken “recently”. Ambiguous journalism yes, but we do know by definition Craig was “recently” - to avoid coining a Fleming title - in New York.
    Tuck91 wrote: »

What happened to that?
    Out of all the rumors I thought that one was for sure today would of been a perfect day on cubby’s birthday to have the press conference. Eon aren’t being secretive they still probably have an incomplete script and missing cast.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    (Also appreciate the defence @Minion :) )

My pleasure. As they say, welcome to the madhouse! :-D
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    TR007 wrote: »
    When were they snapped?

Given their outfits it looks like it was during winter in New York, possibly Jan or Feb? The weather there would be so much warmer in April.

I do think these were shot prior to his being seen leaving for London. While it is April, it is still in the lower 40s today in NY
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited April 2019 Posts: 544
    Also fully in agreement with your post regarding the benefits of a childhood without technology @NS_writings - in a world of instant communication perhaps few now appreciate the required patience that developed, in the bygone days, when dial up was buffering. Indeed there is plenty to occupy the bond related mind in the meantime. Including your amusing -albeit likely accurate - creative licensing :’) !

Thank you @HalfOfEverything . As most 90s kid, I wasn't born with a PC and Internet in my house. In fact, when I first became a Bond fan in January 1998 all I had was a TV and cable service. I saw GoldenEye that way, after shortly playing a level of the game on a toy store when N64 was the boom. It wasn't until late 1999 or perhaps even mid 2000s that I had a VCR where I could finally watch all the Bond films that I started buying (and I still refuse to sell my VHS copies). Before that, I had to go to my dad's place (or my grandma's) where he had a rather rusty VCR and we rented the movies. As for internet, my other grandma had a PC because my dad went there during the weekends, and the old-dial up connection. I grew up in the days of Kimberly Last's site and the early days of JamesBond.com . Back then, as a 8-year-old kid, I cared little for information and I barely spoke English, so what I looked the most was images to print them in the old Epson LX810 :D
    Ironically LTK and GE are two of my favourites, perhaps that’s why I’m largely ambivalent to what’s going on currently. Only back then they spent the entirety it seems of the six years actively trying to get a movie into production. Currently, I believe, and thus why I’m not worried, they only started looking seriously into B25 as of last year, with all the main players having decided to take a bit of a break and engage in other projects after Spectre. So it’s not like they’ve spent the entire gap between frantically trying to pull something together. It’s only the past several months things for B25 have really seriously seemed to come into play- including all the problems relating to it. Either way, It’s being made now, that’s mostly what matters!

Exactly. In my case, GoldenEye is my all time favourite film - I even have dedicated a site to it (goldeneyedossier.blogspot.com). So I know the production was troubled and there were many, but many doubts regarding if Bond would be relevant in the 1990s. Also, the film was originally slated for June 1995, and due to complications and delays they moved it to November 1995. Read my interview with UA's Jeff Kleeman (he was also featured on MI6 Confidential), where he weighs in on the Bond 25 delays a little. He also says TND should have been delayed to April 1998 to avoid competing with Titanic and get better BO numbers. It's very interesting! In fact, as joking as my Twitter mockup was, to think how would people be upset now if this was 1990-1995, and if everyone was expecting an official word on every delay, every complication: the MGM/UA legal conflict, Dalton's departure, the June to November delay, etc. I think this interview is key to understand things that the impatience of new technologies avoid us to see...

http://secretagentlair.blogspot.com/2019/03/interview-jeff-kleeman-former-united.html
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 5,767
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Today is probably the most frustrated I’ve been with Eon. Filming has allegedly begun and we have no information. Which likely means further delays.

This time last week, I thought we would have a stacked news week. Alas, this hasn’t materialised.

The planning and organisation of this production has been an utter shambles.

Just because Eon are running a tight ship and are successfully containing information does not mean there are or will be delays or the production is, in your words, "an utter shambles." What do you know about the production process? Eon will announce stuff when they are good and ready. It's their call, not yours.

I know plenty about the production process.

The fact that the film has been AWOL from any major announcements for weeks and only tabloid fodder has been released is worrying. Anyone who knows anything about the production aspect of filmmaking should be concerned about Bond 25. Especially, if they know how Eon operate.

I think we can all agree that after a getting and losing a prestige director, 6 month delay in production, and the release date getting pushed twice, this isn’t a “tight ship”. The production has clearly been in disarray and Fukunaga’s involvement has not been a complete panacea (especially with word of Scott Z Burns’s late involvement).

I’m not trying shit-stir or play into Panchito’s game. I appreciate your optimism and insight @ColonelSun but surely Eon have now reached the end of the ‘benefit of the doubt’ we were extending to them.
    I don´t see how all this is supposed to give any hint at the Quality of the coming film. The production process of past Bond films certainly didn´t give many hints as to how good the film would turn out.

Things have gone far from smoothly with this film. This tweet explains the situation perfectly:

In contrast to both SF and SP - we knew the locations, crew, cast and title of the film at this stage. With QOS, we knew everything except the title. The only real comparator is CR where we didn't know the supporting cast till later in the process. Nonetheless, there was extensive reporting prior.

With Bond 25 there has been radio silence....

I'm praying for a press release today or official word of something. I'd happily settle for casting scoop on Deadline or something. There are at least two key female roles up for grabs.

This film is at little over a year away and the lack of news suggests delays.

Anyway, in other amazing news, Sam Mendes has begun filming his new film 21917" and according to reports it's going to be one long take. Akin to the opening of Spectre. I'm practically drooling think of this. Sam! we need you! I forgive you for Spectre.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/universal-wows-cinemacon-with-diverse-slate-from-hobbs-shaw-to-downton-abbey-cats-1202055654/

And it's going to be shot by Roger Deakins! Mendes is getting all the Oscars in 2020.
    What exactly is your concern? How do those tweets explain anything? Why should we care what someone says About Mendes next film? They also said About Mendes that SF was him getting his feet wet, and SP would be him Jumping all in, and look how that turned out. Why do you think some reps bull*****ng away to the public would say anything reliable About the film? The Producers not Publishing any Information is a Pretty good sign of them being busy at the Right Ends. If they would tell us this and that is going, then I would worry much more.
    I have no doubt that the production is now finally on track. At the same time, it is frustrating not knowing when we will finally get some offical news. If EON announced today that the presser will be held at the beginning of May, I would have no problem with that, but the complete radio silence is very frustrating.
    RC7 wrote: »
    An acquaintance of mine was on location in Norway and is now prepping for Jamaica. I will inform him of what a shambolic job he is doing.

Shane on your acquaintance @RC7!
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Anyways, if I was EON, with all of the bad press surrounding the writing, the director changes, etc, I would try to show off a bit. I mean a bit of positive news like the PP starting would be great PR. But hey! Their decision, I'm just a desperate Bond fan.
    What bad press?

LOL! But a least you get that warm analog sound.
    If you drive a van big enough for proper Speakers ;-).

• RC7RC7
    I have no doubt that the production is now finally on track. At the same time, it is frustrating not knowing when we will finally get some offical news. If EON announced today that the presser will be held at the beginning of May, I would have no problem with that, but the complete radio silence is very frustrating.

Every time you use the word ‘presser’ EON delay the announcement by 2 days. Barbara told me.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,619

Every time you use the word ‘presser’ EON delay the announcement by 2 days. Barbara told me.
    I don't get it? What's wrong with it? It seems to me it's perfectly valid to use "presser" instead of "press conference". https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/presser
  • @NS_writings likewise! It was Goldeneye n64 that brought me to the series (perhaps people's anger should be directed at the delay in making a good Bond game, that I'd understand :')) and I recall giving the VCR a bit of a punch when the tapes wouldn't play clearly!

I do believe I've come across goldeneye dossier in the past so I'll review my knowledge of it later and will definitely give that interview a read. As someone who has read "Some kind of hero" several times I guess I find the production aspect fascinating. Thanks for pointing me in its direction :)
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 490
    New user here but I've been following this website extremely closely since the Spectre days.

Want to thank @ColonelSun, @peter, @RC7, and others for their analysis and contributions.

My theory on why we have not heard anything official is that this month is huge for movies/TV already.

Star Wars Episode 9 is scheduled to be officially announced next Friday with a trailer release, Game of Thrones is premiering next weekend also, and then the final Avengers movie is releasing in 3 weeks.

Not sure how much the audiences overlap between Bond and those other franchises (though I am a fan of all of them), but perhaps Eon is timing their big announcement so that it doesn't get drowned out by those other franchises, which are surely to capture massive amounts of the public's attention in the next month.

Just my two cents. Thanks for this awesome community everybody, I read this website every day.
  • RC7RC7

I don't get it? What's wrong with it? It seems to me it's perfectly valid to use "presser" instead of "press conference". https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/presser

Bit wanky. In the same way things are ‘dropped’ rather than ‘released’ these days. Babs not a fan.