No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Does anyone know why Bond movies are distributed by so many companies around the world, instead of just one? Why didn't Sony distribute the Craig movies everywhere? Also, why does Fox handle DVD/Blu-ray distribution? (Or to put it a better way: why is theatrical and home release handled by different distributors?)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Does anyone know why Bond movies are distributed by so many companies around the world, instead of just one? Why didn't Sony distribute the Craig movies everywhere? Also, why does Fox handle DVD/Blu-ray distribution? (Or to put it a better way: why is theatrical and home release handled by different distributors?)

I'm not an expert on it, but from my understanding, few companies have the money to be able to distribute a film worldwide on their own, so they create/seek out other distribution companies to help with this.

It's likely why Annapurna is handling the domestic distribution, because there's no way a company of that size could distribute B25 worldwide all on their own.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,119

We should not exaggerate things here. There are a few exceptions yes. But on the whole Sony Pictures was the dominant global distributor:
    mH0O0oi.jpg
    YiQR3rn.jpg

Russia, China, Netherlands (hmmm, Universal ;-)), Turkey (hmmm, Warner Bros ;-)) and Norway are indeed exceptions. But on the whole Sony did everything. And I think this goes for every other big action blockbuster.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm pretty sure BondJasonBond006 said he had a role with Disney when they distributed SP in Switzerland, so I don't know if that list is entirely accurate.

it depends on who's got the deal in what country. Sony releases may be released by Universal in the Netherlands or by Sony themselves elsewhere.

Anyway WB has moved Wonder Woman 2 to Nov 1, effectively 100% ruling them out for domestic, and possibly international too if they're not okay with a couple weeks lead before WW2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-2-release-date-moves-up-6-weeks-1057572
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    antovolk wrote: »
    Anyway WB has moved Wonder Woman 2 to Nov 1, effectively 100% ruling them out for domestic, and possibly international too if they're not okay with a couple weeks lead before WW2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-2-release-date-moves-up-6-weeks-1057572
    That could be why they're out. Wonder Woman 2 will own IMAX for a few weeks. $400M+ stateside on the first one bodes well for an explosive sophomore entry.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,164
    bondjames wrote: »

That could be why they're out. Wonder Woman 2 will own IMAX for a few weeks. $400M+ stateside on the first one bodes well for an explosive sophomore entry.

nope, WB know they're out therefore they moved to fill the gap they previously kept open.

Now question is if they'll still be in running for international release given the tendency of Bond to open 2 weeks before the US. Will 2 weeks of B25 overseas before WW2 be enough for them.

EDIT: since B25 is on November 8 domestically...yeah WB's out. Only one week lead before WW2 if they release Bond overseas.

nope, WB know they're out therefore they moved to fill the gap they previously kept open.

Now question is if they'll still be in running for international release given the tendency of Bond to open 2 weeks before the US. Will 2 weeks of B25 overseas before WW2 be enough for them.

EDIT: since B25 is on November 8 domestically...yeah WB's out. Only one week lead before WW2 if they release Bond overseas.
    I can't see them being given global if they are going to hurt B25's domestic release (and WW2 definitely will). If this plays out like we know now, B25's US gross will be taken down by the loss of lucrative IMAX (and possibly other high priced) theatre outlets. WW2 will be a serious heavy hitter in the US/Canada.
    B25 may still get IMAX though, their strategy is now 1/2 weeks max per movie.
    B25 may still get IMAX though, their strategy is now 1/2 weeks max per movie.
    Yes, it's possible. Bond gross in the US tends to be a slow burn as well. Steadier rather than explosive out of the gates. Mainly (I think) because of the more mature audience that tend to go see it when they can, sometimes later and closer to Thanksgiving. So you're right, WW2 may be out of there by then.
    DEADLINE wrote that " this all should be finalized this week". Do you think they will make an official announcement immediately once the deal is finalized or wait until they have an international distributor as well or wait until they have both an international distributor AND a director before they make an official announcement?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    My prediction is the latter.
    My prediction is the latter.
    +1. A more comprehensive announcement at a later date. I still think we'll have to wait for spring in order to hear something more substantive.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,399
    Personally, I'm hoping for more studio input on these new deals.

i have to check you on this one - but why?... when has a studio ever been at the forefront of good ideas?... typically, whenever a studio interjects themselves into creative matters, it ends badly.. i will use the examples of X3: X-men United, The Amazing Spider-man 1 and 2, and the Ghostbusters reboot as prime examples..

You probably want a tighter leash - checks and balances sort of issues.. but i think that needs to come from EON's end, and them having a clear concise plan of what they want to do, and maybe they need to take the Marvel approach from now on - and thats hire directors that have to execute their vision - instead of letting auteurs come in, and run rampant.?
    HASEROT wrote: »
    and they even considered reopening lines of communication to renegotiate a 1 film deal to bring Brosnan back

Wow, I would rather have Hitler back.

I almost feel like adding a single tear to my avatar.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    bondsum wrote: »
    Considering that MGM holds a 50% stake and will be co-financing the movie, they'll have their say. To think that Barbara Broccoli has carte blanche to do whatever she likes without consultation is perhaps wishful thinking. Considering that UA, who didn't have a 50% stake in Bond in 1970, could pull rank over Cubby & Harry and bring in their own writer (American screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz) and negotiate with Connery without the maverick producer's consent, I find it hard to believe that the current studio would simply sit back and let Barbara spend their money how she saw fit. Even someone as recent as Sony had a say in production decisions. Also, Peter Hunt was replaced because UA preferred an easier going director that would simply get the job done without throwing artistic hissy fits, hence why the less antagonistic Guy Hamilton was brought back for DAF. The list goes on.

The fact is, we don't know the specifics of the deals that EON had at the time with UA - and what EON currently has with MGM and now Annapurna... You were right about DAF, but I also remember that back when they were casting Bond for CR, MGM and Sony/Columbia wanted a more well known established named for Bond to take over for Brosnan ie: Clive Owen, Jude Law, Ewan McGregor.. and they even considered reopening lines of communication to renegotiate a 1 film deal to bring Brosnan back - but it was Babs and MGW that stuck to their guns, and said Craig was their guy, and the studios had to go with it.... Personally, I think the studios have "some" influence over casting and production team hires - but when it comes to making a final decision, I believe the buck firmly stops with EON.

MGM (via John Calley) also wasn't fond of Dalton in the 1990s. You can argue whether Dalton quit, quit before he was purshed or whatever, but Calley eventually got his way. And did not endear himself to Barbara Broccoli.

wasn't the choice to go with Broz ultimately Cubby's decision? - i thought Cubby set everything up for Babs and MGW with GE, then let them take the reigns from that point on, because of his ill health at the time? maybe i'm remembering it wrong?...... i know MGM wanted him in the worst way, ever since 1986 - and so did Cubby - Dalton was the fall back plan, even though he was courted as early as 1969 to be Bond... I know Dalton was keen to sticking around, and I don't think he was really 'forced out', more like i think he knew the writing was on the wall so to speak, and removed himself.. but he's still been on good terms with EON since..
  • //wasn't the choice to go with Broz ultimately Cubby's decision? //

After Dalton exited. And, based on stories reported at the time, MGM liked Broz.
    Personally, I'm hoping for more studio input on these new deals.

i have to check you on this one - but why?... when has a studio ever been at the forefront of good ideas?... typically, whenever a studio interjects themselves into creative matters, it ends badly.. i will use the examples of X3: X-men United, The Amazing Spider-man 1 and 2, and the Ghostbusters reboot as prime examples..

You probably want a tighter leash - checks and balances sort of issues.. but i think that needs to come from EON's end, and them having a clear concise plan of what they want to do, and maybe they need to take the Marvel approach from now on - and thats hire directors that have to execute their vision - instead of letting auteurs come in, and run rampant.?
    I didn't read the Sony hack leaks, but having visited the thread often I noticed that they came up with some good suggestions, and actually advised EON/Mendes that things were out of control with that debacle of a script for SP.

Additionally, I'm increasingly uncomfortable with the control that directors (and actors) appear to be given with this franchise, as you noted. To me the best film from the Sony stable remains CR, which more or less followed the script (sure they shook up the tropes, but it was still less arty farty than what's come since imho, including SP). I think that's because it was a new start, and so everyone did their best to stay on message.

Ultimately it's true that theoretically we have EON there to veto any rubbish ideas. However, they appear to be the ones who have let the auteurs (again including actor) run wild recently, and so I believe the studio 'bean counters' need to exercise more control and discipline. Hopefully that is what will happen for B25, and if not, then for B26.
    @bondjames

i never trust studio brass when it comes to making artist, or beneficial film decisions.. for every 1 good idea they may have, they will throw out 5 awful ones... In the end, and studio suit doesn't really care how structurally sound any film is - as long as whatever is put on screen gets them in the black...

... but...

that doesn't mean that i am precluding EON of any fault of their own... while I applaud their choice to go with directors who have better artistic vision, especially after the bland visual efforts from Spottiswoode, Apted and Tamahori - it usually comes as a double edged sword, as most directors, and all auteurs want 100% control over their vision - which usually means the story as well - that is chief reason why, IMO, this whole Craig era continuity, while admirable, was ultimately botched... they started off fine with CR and QOS - but once they got their control over Blofeld and Spectre back, everything kind of caved in on itself.. and instead of using control and responsibility in ushering those elements back in organically, they let their chosen director - who did great things with SF, do it his way.. and after the success of SF, I can't blame them for that making that decision - just like in gambling, you ride the hot streak - but at the same time, the mistakes of SP must also be laid at their feet as well, for not exerting that control i talked about earlier... damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.... i personally feel that all parties are aware of that - they aren't ignorant to it, they listen (just like how after fans complained about camera and editing in QOS, MGW said they would go the traditional route for what ended up being SF - and they did.)... i feel as though that is why they probably ultimately chose 2019, i mean the obvious reason is because they love Daniel, and really want him to return - so if he says 2019, and it's not an unreasonable request, they will do it.. but i also think they want to make sure they avoid what happened on SP, and get all their ducks into a row before filming starts.
    @haserot, I agree with most everything you said above. It's just that given the tight relationship that Babs has with Craig, and the increasing control and say he has in everything, I would prefer an outside studio to have more influence to balance him out. Particularly as Wilson is getting older (I think we owe him a lot more than we know).
    i feel as though that is why they probably ultimately chose 2019, i mean the obvious reason is because they love Daniel, and really want him to return - so if he says 2019, and it's not an unreasonable request, they will do it.. but i also think they want to make sure they avoid what happened on SP, and get all their ducks into a row before filming starts.
    If the delay was to right the wrongs of SP, then I have no problem with it. If one the other hand Craig was a reason for the delay in any way shape or form, then I look forward to his departure after B25 with increasing anticipation. No actor should be given that kind of influence imho. This is again, why I'd like more of a studio check (for the time being).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You know? In the next Bond film, I'd want Bond to lay a brief mock at John Le Carre. For old times sake. :))
    If the delay was to right the wrongs of SP, then I have no problem with it. If one the other hand Craig was a reason for the delay in any way shape or form, then I look forward to his departure after B25 with increasing anticipation. No actor should be given that kind of influence imho. This is again, why I'd like more of a studio check (for the time being).

@bondjames ... as much as i love Craig, and champion his tenure as Bond, I cannot disagree with this.. whoever is the next Bond, must be willing to be on a every other year, or at the most every 3 years schedule... i know filming is hard, and tedious.. but if the F&F films can go every other year without skipping a beat, then so can Bond.. i would be willing to go at most every 3 years, for sake of getting the right story in place and director - that should not take 4 years to accomplish..

bottom line... i don't want just Bond movies for the sake of Bond movies - meaning pumping out sub par efforts just to meet a deadline.. but i also don't feel like we need to wait 4 or 5 years to be 'perfect' either.

@bondjames ... as much as i love Craig, and champion his tenure as Bond, I cannot disagree with this.. whoever is the next Bond, must be willing to be on a every other year, or at the most every 3 years schedule... i know filming is hard, and tedious.. but if the F&F films can go every other year without skipping a beat, then so can Bond.. i would be willing to go at most every 3 years, for sake of getting the right story in place and director - that should not take 4 years to accomplish..
    Precisely. I'm glad we agree on this.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    @bondjames

i never trust studio brass when it comes to making artist, or beneficial film decisions.. for every 1 good idea they may have, they will throw out 5 awful ones... In the end, and studio suit doesn't really care how structurally sound any film is - as long as whatever is put on screen gets them in the black...

... but...

that doesn't mean that i am precluding EON of any fault of their own... while I applaud their choice to go with directors who have better artistic vision, especially after the bland visual efforts from Spottiswoode, Apted and Tamahori - it usually comes as a double edged sword, as most directors, and all auteurs want 100% control over their vision - which usually means the story as well - that is chief reason why, IMO, this whole Craig era continuity, while admirable, was ultimately botched... they started off fine with CR and QOS - but once they got their control over Blofeld and Spectre back, everything kind of caved in on itself.. and instead of using control and responsibility in ushering those elements back in organically, they let their chosen director - who did great things with SF, do it his way.. and after the success of SF, I can't blame them for that making that decision - just like in gambling, you ride the hot streak - but at the same time, the mistakes of SP must also be laid at their feet as well, for not exerting that control i talked about earlier... damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.... i personally feel that all parties are aware of that - they aren't ignorant to it, they listen (just like how after fans complained about camera and editing in QOS, MGW said they would go the traditional route for what ended up being SF - and they did.)... i feel as though that is why they probably ultimately chose 2019, i mean the obvious reason is because they love Daniel, and really want him to return - so if he says 2019, and it's not an unreasonable request, they will do it.. but i also think they want to make sure they avoid what happened on SP, and get all their ducks into a row before filming starts.

SP seems to have been a case of "too many cooks in the kitchen." It started as a two-part story idea by Logan, and at one point Blofeld was an African warlord and at another point Blofeld and White were desert cohorts, and while any of these ideas may ultimately have been worse than what the movie got, it's possible that it could have been the opposite.

It is interesting that when screenwriters hit it big with a Bond film, Eon tends to give them free rein on the next film (Feirstein, Logan), and the result is not as good.
    echo wrote: »
    It is interesting that when screenwriters hit it big with a Bond film, Eon tends to give them free rein on the next film (Feirstein, Logan), and the result is not as good.
    Perhaps they should pay attention to a quote from one of their own films.

"Half of everything is luck James."
    "And the other half?"

*cue The Goldeneye Overture*
    @echo
    @bondjames

it's all about vision, and adhering to that vision.. that is why, since Dan is back for B25, I am not expecting anything too far away from what we've got from Dan's run already.. like i've said previously, i would be happy with another SP style film, just sans the pretentious bs... i initially didn't mind the Blofeld angle when i read the leaked drafts of the script, and even my first few viewings of SP - but now, over time, it's become such a cancerous appendage to otherwise decent film IMO..

It actually feels like it has been longer than 2 years since SP came out. I guess just because I really want the next Bond film. Still another 2 years to go, but I’m hopeful we get a fair amount of information next year - including director and supporting cast. Many people are afraid of how Bond 25 will turn out, and that’s fair, but I’m even more concerned with Bond 26 and if EON stays and who replaces Daniel Craig. But we’ll cross bridge that when we come to it.
    @haserot, don't you think they will close out the Craig run with something a bit darker than SP? There were rumours in April that the film Logan inspired Babs to make a pitch to Craig during Othello, and apparently he liked it. I don't know how true these rumours were, but it makes sense to me that he would come back for something set a bit later than SP, given the four years that will have passed. Something where he is older and has new challenges to face on account of that. Think Rocky 5 (in terms of time passage only).

Given his noticeably advancing (imho) years, it makes more sense to me than them trying to shoehorn a film set in the timeline between QoS and SF, as others have speculated/wished for.
    @bondjames No.. I don't think they should either, I was talking about tone and style, not timeline.. Bond should always be in the here and now, or just slightly ahead of now.. I'm never a fan of going backwards, unless its a recasting of Indiana Jones, but that's a whole different topic lol.
    The problems started with QOS, I dont know how they came up with that after what was CR. They then had a 4 year gap & gave us SF. For some fans that didnt really like QOS or SF, and liked SP , thats a long time to wait for a Bond film they like. QOS & SF are too artsy for some fans. I think CR & SP are more alike in their own unique way.