No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm in the mood for a more producer driven entry, particularly as B25 is a transition film preparing us for a new man to follow. This is why I wasn't so concerned to learn that Villeneuve is busy and why I'm open to Mackenzie or Demange.

Moreover, the apparent choice of Annapurna for US distribution suggests a new way of doing things is in the works. Perhaps a more 'scaled down' way given the lack of profits for the distributor.

I could also buy that @BondJames. Hence I also write down your option in my previous post. I kinda dig this new MGM-Annapurna construction. It shows that MGM wants to really become a financially stable film operation again. So indeed, a choice for Yann Demange or David Mackenzie to me sounds very interesting.

Add Universal or Warner Bros. for just one-picture international distribution deal, and then perhaps for Bond #26, MGM and Annapurna both can go full-throttle distribution-wise (domestic and international).

Actually, I am open for whatever director. Name or fame doesn't make a succesful and critically acclaimed Bond film. But it certainly doesn't necessarily break one eother. So Denis Villeneuve? Yann Demange? Christopher Nolan? David Mackenzie? Steven Soderbergh? I'm in for one of these 5 directors :-)
    @Gustav_Graves, I think the issue that some members have is what film to expect. A Demange/Mackenzie film will likely be quite different from a Villeneuve one. More members are familiar with Villeneuve's critically acclaimed work, and so understandably they prefer him in the chair.

Regarding your point about MGM. That unfortunately is the area where I have concerns post-B25. I am of the opinion that MGM is not viable as a standalone entity, given the behemoths it is up against. Yes, Megan Ellison is a rich woman and provides some 'cover', but ultimately this is a tough game they're playing in an industry that is consolidating and changing dramatically. So as I've mentioned previously, I just wish they would get on with it and either 'sell', 'merge' or IPO, because ultimately that is what they are going to have to do. Kicking the can down the road will only result in more uncertainty between B25 and B26, which is precisely why this is is only a 'one picture' deal at this point - the future is precarious and uncertain at this time. Having worked in an organization once that underwent similar drastic changes (acquisition vs. IPO), I can also add that everything you read/hear about MGM in the next few years will be 'smoke and mirrors' designed to market themselves positively to potential suitors or the market.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Regarding your point about MGM. That unfortunately is the area where I have concerns post-B25. I am of the opinion that MGM is not viable as a standalone entity, given the behemoths it is up against. Yes, Megan Ellison is a rich woman and provides some 'cover', but ultimately this is a tough game they're playing in an industry that is consolidating and changing dramatically. So as I've mentioned previously, I just wish they would get on with it and either 'sell', 'merge' or IPO, because ultimately that is what they are going to have to do. Kicking the can down the road will only result in more uncertainty between B25 and B26, which is precisely why this is is only a 'one picture' deal at this point - the future is precarious and uncertain at this time. Having worked in an organization once that underwent similar drastic changes (acquisition vs. IPO), I can also add that everything you read/hear about MGM in the next few years will be 'smoke and mirrors' designed to market themselves positively to potential suitors or the market.

I certainly agree with you about how precarious the movie industry is at this very moment. I mean Disney is about to buy 20th Century Fox. Tech companies like Amazon and Apple are forever changing the entertainment industry as well, and we have seen those names coming up before regarding Bond. So yes, it's quite a lavish shit mess atm.

And I too want Bond 25 to be done exclusively by one film company alone: Being the 50% co-owner of the Bond franchise next to EON/Danjaq, and doing everything....from marketing, promotion to the full global distribution.

So yes, I agree with you that it would be better if Bond will either be sold completely or acquired by a new company completely. However the Bond franchise still is a very strong brand. And if you were standing in Gary Barber's shoes you wouldn't just 'sell' this lucrative brand, if that brand can actually be used to facilitate the financial (turnover, profit) improvement of the company, no matter how small that chance might be.

Perhaps this is also the reason why EON Productions is not like Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Ltd.: EON still is a family company, has the other 50% of Bond rights, and therefore every new company has to deal with them. The legal complexities of the Bond brand are enormous and that perhaps result in other bigger parties not willing to burn their fingers on it.

Ahh well, let's see what happens.....
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883

I certainly agree with you about how precarious the movie industry is at this very moment. I mean Disney is about to buy 20th Century Fox. Tech companies like Amazon and Apple are forever changing the entertainment industry as well, and we have seen those names coming up before regarding Bond. So yes, it's quite a lavish shit mess atm.

And I too want Bond 25 to be done exclusively by one film company alone: Being the 50% co-owner of the Bond franchise next to EON/Danjaq, and doing everything....from marketing, promotion to the full global distribution.

So yes, I agree with you that it would be better if Bond will either be sold completely or acquired by a new company completely. However the Bond franchise still is a very strong brand. And if you were standing in Gary Barber's shoes you wouldn't just 'sell' this lucrative brand, if that brand can actually be used to facilitate the financial (turnover, profit) improvement of the company, no matter how small that chance might be.

Perhaps this is also the reason why EON Productions is not like Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Ltd.: EON still is a family company, has the other 50% of Bond rights, and therefore every new company has to deal with them. The legal complexities of the Bond brand are enormous and that perhaps result in other bigger parties not willing to burn their fingers on it.

Ahh well, let's see what happens.....
    Precisely. It is a matter of opinion whether that is a good thing or not. I'm ambivalent.

I think we could do with a bit more clarity behind the scenes and long for a larger studio to buy out MGM (keep in mind that is quite different from buying 50% of the 'Bond rights' only, although ultimately the result is the same. I see the two scenarios used interchangeably here and that could cause confusion). Perhaps eventually a studio will buy out MGM just to get their hands on 50% of those lucrative 'Bond rights'. They would have to be a viable partner with EON though and perhaps they have rights of first refusal on such a deal.

In a way this reminds me of Michael Jackson's problems with SONY regarding the ATV royalty back catalogue. He was always a thorn in their side because he had 50% of the rights and claimed that they were sabotaging his work to force him to sell those rights. Eventually they were sold, but only after he passed.
  • By the way, these are the kind of discussions I love and cherish @BondJames .
    Pfffff, so quiet today :-)

Then start another petition ... ?
    Den of Geek reports that Warner, Sony and Universal are front runners for the overseas distribution deal. Universal is an interesting mention. They have arguably had the most success overseas of late (apart from the Disney brute) with the FF franchise and I wonder if that will impact things.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/james-bond/53295/james-bond-25-us-distributor-deal-nearly-done
    Den of Geek reports that Warner, Sony and Universal are front runners for the overseas distribution deal. Universal is an interesting mention. They have arguably had the most success overseas of late (apart from the Disney brute) with the FF franchise and I wonder if that will impact things.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/james-bond/53295/james-bond-25-us-distributor-deal-nearly-done

Not only that. Universal already "tested" the Dutch market for the 24th Bond flick "SPECTRE". For most other overseas territories Sony Pictures was the distributor, except for The Netherlands: There it was Universal.

Personally, I would say that Sony Pictures are not the biggest favourites, since they already "lost" the US Market. And given all the SonyLeaks-sh*t, I would bet on either Universal Pictures or Warner Bros. fighting heavily over this.....

Universal could use a good replacement for Jason Bourne: Being James Bond. Whereas Warner Bros. could use their own spy franchise after "The Man From UNCLE".
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Those names were already noted in Deadline's article yesterday. If they've got Annapurna down already, I can only assume international distributor will be decided on sooner rather than later.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,333
    bondsum wrote: »
    I also don't feel MGM will want to place such a huge production in his inexperienced hands.
    It's not up to MGM. If Barbara Broccoli wants Demange to direct Bond 25, then Demange will direct Bond 25.
    Considering that MGM holds a 50% stake and will be co-financing the movie, they'll have their say. To think that Barbara Broccoli has carte blanche to do whatever she likes without consultation is perhaps wishful thinking. Considering that UA, who didn't have a 50% stake in Bond in 1970, could pull rank over Cubby & Harry and bring in their own writer (American screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz) and negotiate with Connery without the maverick producer's consent, I find it hard to believe that the current studio would simply sit back and let Barbara spend their money how she saw fit. Even someone as recent as Sony had a say in production decisions. Also, Peter Hunt was replaced because UA preferred an easier going director that would simply get the job done without throwing artistic hissy fits, hence why the less antagonistic Guy Hamilton was brought back for DAF. The list goes on.
    Personally, I am starting to think the same thing. Given the huge 'upscaling' of the previous two Bond films, production-wise, I think EON Productions indeed want to have another big name as director. Looking at how TSWLM and GE also premiered a year later after the initial premiere dates/years of 1976 and 1994 respectively (Also, remember, this happened to "Batman vs. Superman" as well), I wouldn't be surprised that Bond #25 will be (slightly) delayed to early 2020, to accomodate to Villeneuve's busy schedule. Let's not forget that -if Villeneuve works hard- he can already have the first brainstorm sessions with cast and crew for Bond #25 late 2018 (October or November). What matters more for me right now, is having a damn good watertight script for Bond #25.

Another option is that EON Productions goes for that other big name: Steven Soderbergh. I think he could be lured in pretty easily, since his movie "Logan Lucky" was a huge financial flop (the film itself was wonderful!), and so was his new way of distributing, marketing and promoting films outside the Hollywood mogul's territories. Soderbergh has a clear idea about Bond, and he had a tremendous amount of fun on set with Daniel Craig.
    I agree with a lot of what you say but I'm not so sure that Villeneuve is the right man for the job, either. After all, Blade Runner 2049 has just flopped at the box office, which only gleaned a mere $31.5 million during its opening weekend, despite having a budget of $150 million. As a percentage, that's even slightly worse that its predecessor. Unless its BO drastically improved afterwards, which I believe it did not, then Blade Runner 2049 was a critical success but not one that was widely shared by the cinemagoing public. Bringing in its worldwide figure might sound better than it actually is, especially as the studio only makes a third of the ticket sales outside its domestic BO. Domestic sales is what really counts for the studio. Still, I read somewhere that it was drastically cut from being a 4-hour movie down to its theatrical length, which might explain its incoherent story-line. I know some here think it a masterpiece, sadly I'm not one of them. But I digress.

One thing in Villeneuve's favour is his logistic ability to juggle a huge production and bring a movie of this size on budget. Steven Soderbergh is a good choice IMHO, but his failure to get the original Man From UNCLE movie off the ground would worry me if I was investing in Bond 25. I think Steven Soderbergh might be better suited to smaller budget niche movies as well. Also, why take a gamble on Demange when our very own Gareth Evans has proven he's a great action director? Personally, I'd rather see Bond 25 go to Gareth Evans if Eon are willing to take a risk on an untested director. I think Nolan is out of the equation until Eon decide on the next reboot; he said so much himself. So who does that leave? Answers on a postcard...
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,619
    For most other overseas territories Sony Pictures was the distributor, except for The Netherlands: There it was Universal.

This whole distribution business seems unreasonably messy to a layman like me. So Spectre was distributed thearically by MGM + Sony in the US. Theatrical distribution in the Netherlands was done by Universal, Bluray/DVD distribution in the Netherlands was done by Fox. Warner distributed the movie in Turkey and Walt Disney Studios Sony Pictures Releasing (a joint venture between Walt Disney Company CIS [ The Walt Disney Company's Russian subsidiary] and Sony Pictures Russia) distributed it in Russia.

Is Paramount really the only one of the big 6 Hollywood studios that didn't distribute Spectre somewhere in some form?

Sources: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=bond24.htm
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/companycredits
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Disney distributed Spectre in Russia?
    Disney distributed Spectre in Russia?

The Walt Disney Company CIS, LLC is one of The Walt Disney Company's international subsidiaries. The Walt Disney Company CIS was founded in April 2006. It is headquartered in Moscow, the capital of Russia.

In 2007, Walt Disney Company CIS and Sony Pictures Russia created the joint venture of Walt Disney Studios Sony Pictures Releasing CIS. It is they who distributed Spectre in Russia.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 512

Not only that. Universal already "tested" the Dutch market for the 24th Bond flick "SPECTRE". For most other overseas territories Sony Pictures was the distributor, except for The Netherlands: There it was Universal.

That's only partly true. Universal Pictures NL is the distributor of all Sony Pictures productions in the Netherlands. UniversalNL bought SonyPictures NL (or at least their distribution rights) a couple of years ago.
    My understanding is that Disney distributed SP in Switzerland also.

I wonder why the big three studios currently in the running didn't (reportedly) get the job of US distribution? A few weeks back when the Annapurna/MGM expanded arrangement broke, it was still apparently up in the air (otherwise they could have made a combined announcement at that time).

Perhaps there just isn't enough profit in it for them?

One day we will know what's really been happening here. It may take a few years but the truth will come out at some point.
    Disney is the Illuminati
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Disney is the Illuminati
    Haha, true true!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,399
    Considering that MGM holds a 50% stake and will be co-financing the movie, they'll have their say. To think that Barbara Broccoli has carte blanche to do whatever she likes without consultation is perhaps wishful thinking. Considering that UA, who didn't have a 50% stake in Bond in 1970, could pull rank over Cubby & Harry and bring in their own writer (American screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz) and negotiate with Connery without the maverick producer's consent, I find it hard to believe that the current studio would simply sit back and let Barbara spend their money how she saw fit. Even someone as recent as Sony had a say in production decisions. Also, Peter Hunt was replaced because UA preferred an easier going director that would simply get the job done without throwing artistic hissy fits, hence why the less antagonistic Guy Hamilton was brought back for DAF. The list goes on.

The fact is, we don't know the specifics of the deals that EON had at the time with UA - and what EON currently has with MGM and now Annapurna... You were right about DAF, but I also remember that back when they were casting Bond for CR, MGM and Sony/Columbia wanted a more well known established named for Bond to take over for Brosnan ie: Clive Owen, Jude Law, Ewan McGregor.. and they even considered reopening lines of communication to renegotiate a 1 film deal to bring Brosnan back - but it was Babs and MGW that stuck to their guns, and said Craig was their guy, and the studios had to go with it.... Personally, I think the studios have "some" influence over casting and production team hires - but when it comes to making a final decision, I believe the buck firmly stops with EON.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    HASEROT wrote: »
    and they even considered reopening lines of communication to renegotiate a 1 film deal to bring Brosnan back

Wow, I would rather have Hitler back.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    and they even considered reopening lines of communication to renegotiate a 1 film deal to bring Brosnan back

i dont remember it being close to happening - but there were reports that it was being considered..

i dont remember it being close to happening - but there were reports that it was being considered..

When Germany was reunited?
    Personally, I'm hoping for more studio input on these new deals.

Den of Geek is just summarizing Deadline (but you have to scroll all the way to the end of see that, they do their best to hide it).
  • HASEROT wrote: »

The fact is, we don't know the specifics of the deals that EON had at the time with UA - and what EON currently has with MGM and now Annapurna... You were right about DAF, but I also remember that back when they were casting Bond for CR, MGM and Sony/Columbia wanted a more well known established named for Bond to take over for Brosnan ie: Clive Owen, Jude Law, Ewan McGregor.. and they even considered reopening lines of communication to renegotiate a 1 film deal to bring Brosnan back - but it was Babs and MGW that stuck to their guns, and said Craig was their guy, and the studios had to go with it.... Personally, I think the studios have "some" influence over casting and production team hires - but when it comes to making a final decision, I believe the buck firmly stops with EON.

MGM (via John Calley) also wasn't fond of Dalton in the 1990s. You can argue whether Dalton quit, quit before he was purshed or whatever, but Calley eventually got his way. And did not endear himself to Barbara Broccoli.
  • Just thinking out loud: Perhaps Megan Ellison of Annapurna eventually acquires MGM. MGM's hedge fund owners take their profit (I'm guessing after seven years or so they should get one). The combined Annapurna-MGM entity takes the MGM name (because it's older and more established).

Under this scenario, the "new" MGM would still be small compared other media goliaths. But it might be stronger than what we have now.

Clearly, MGM and Annapurna are getting closer. Originally, Annapurna was to release MGM's Death Wish remake. Then, MGM and Annapurna created their joint venture for distribution. Death Wish now is to be the first film distributed by the joint venture.

A really astonishingly tasteless remark, I'll give you that.

Haha, I know.

About getting Brosnan back? I know, right?
    Just thinking out loud: Perhaps Megan Ellison of Annapurna eventually acquires MGM. MGM's hedge fund owners take their profit (I'm guessing after seven years or so they should get one). The combined Annapurna-MGM entity takes the MGM name (because it's older and more established).

Under this scenario, the "new" MGM would still be small compared other media goliaths. But it might be stronger than what we have now.

Clearly, MGM and Annapurna are getting closer. Originally, Annapurna was to release MGM's Death Wish remake. Then, MGM and Annapurna created their joint venture for distribution. Death Wish now is to be the first film distributed by the joint venture.
    That is indeed a possibility. One that will allow Annapurna to grow quickly without it having to be organic, and allow it to access MGM's library. You could be on to something. I can't say I'm happy about Bond being with them necessarily, but at least Ellison could bring these perpetual losers some much needed stability.
    As long as the film is quality I don’t really care who helps distribute it. I am curious to see if EON does retire from the franchise after Craig leaves, and if so who takes the franchise from there (because Bond 25 can’t be the last Bond film ever, right?). Unfortunately we may get another long hiatus between Bond 25 and Bond 26 while waiting for things to work out. Getting a Bond movie every 2-3 years is sadly a thing of the past.

About getting Brosnan back? I know, right?

The use of dark humor simply is not for everyone.