No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Interesting rumoured developments. For those who know more about how all of this works, I have a few questions:

1. It's my understanding that the profits on films are higher on domestic distribution in comparison to foreign, as a result of arrangements with various theatre chains and so on. If that is indeed the case, does Annapurna's rumoured (and that is still all that it is) involvement on the domestic side imply that the overseas distributor is going to get the relatively short end of the stick? I realize that Bond makes more of its gross revenue overseas, but ultimately I would imagine that a business has to look at its net profit per $ of revenue as well.

2. These folks at Annapurna who were previously at MGM and Sony (Erik Lomis & Marc Weinstock respectively) provide for some continuity and probably impacted the decision to go with them.

If true, this will definitely impact the manner in which B25 is marketed stateside and I'm quite curious to understand the implications. I believe the distributor has some clout when it comes to attracting talent (both in front and behind the camera) as well (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So these developments could be profound for the types of films we get going forward.
  • vzok wrote: »
    When is B28?

I believe that's a vitamin. May Day takes them daily.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    jake24 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I like @RichardTheBruce's idea. Thank you all for the input.

Keep that in mind when you inevitably do a B26 Production Timeline: make your opening post, and then do (just to be safe) either a double or triple post after. Voila, the opening post runs out of room, and you have your next post down to utilize.
    With respect, I seriously doubt I'd be down to carry that weight again :)). It's great fun as a one-time gig but, to quote Daniel Craig, I'd rather break this glass and slash my wrist.

I'll book your interview with Colbert for early 2020, if that's OK with you. ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,444
    Sound to me MGM and Warner making the movie and release it on BDDVD and Sony release it in the cinema outside of VS for them.

I based it on Blade Runner 2049 who is MGM / Warner movie and in the Dutch cinema released with the help of Sony. Mabey this happend because Fox is out and Sony moost close to Mgm. Spectre was released by Universal whyle Fox stil do BD/Dvd release.

Die Another Day whas MGM/ Fox made movie and release dvd, whyle Sony doing cinema release in VS. In the cinema you only see Mgm lion at start.

Sony possible whant more credits for cinema whyle Fox only doing that for there own movie. Also Fox logo is very long one.

With Mgm / Sony we get lion first, if it going to be Mgm / Warner i think it will be other way around. Like happend with Mgm / United Artist. If Warner get credits. Warner or Sony wil release soundtrack. Warner who also release soundtrack of Die Another Day because Madonna was from them. If Adele returns, possible Sony or Decca wil do it.
  • Very very happy to hear that Annapurna have the rights. They are the most interesting option and I think we're going to get something v exciting from them

Not sure if this is an indication of anything.......but.......very recently Megan Ellison (the head of Annapurna) started following Yann Demange on Instagram.

71+Premiere+52nd+New+York+Film+Festival+SHI8KK5Ozaql.jpg
    icon.jpg
    Hmm
  • What's so special about this Yann Demange (by comparison with a Nolan or a Villeneuve)? He has one film to his name—'71, which has an okay 7.2 rating on IMDB—and some TV work. What am I missing here?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I wasn't all that impressed with '71. It's a very good film, but nothing in it screamed "Bond" to me.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,444
    https://seventh-row.com/2015/03/05/yann-demange-talks-shooting-71/
    The Seventh Row (7R): Although the film is very much about The Troubles and steeped in the politics of that time, there are no title cards to explain the history or background. You’re thrown right in.

Yann Demange (YD): I made a conscious decision not to try to explain to everybody, so you experience it with him [Gary], really. There isn’t that kind of political overview. Even in the U.K., nobody really knows the history, because they don’t teach it in schools. I knew, because I grew up with Thatcher talking on the news. But my niece and nephew — she’s 23, he’s 21— have just gone through the London schooling system: they don’t have a clue.
    YD: Every storyline had its tone. I didn’t want to do something that was overstated, like different colours, but it has actually its own little language, its own set of rules. There a logic to how we’re shooting each character’s storyline.

We talked a lot about how the colour palette would change, as the story progressed, and how the camera movements would change, and almost counterintuitively get slower and slower in the film.

After you have such a visceral, fast chase, the convention is often, in what could be perceived as an action film, for the set pieces and the action to get bigger and stronger at the end.

To keep the tension, we slow it right down, and we change the colours subtly. We change the whole tempo and mood of the film so it almost becomes a different genre. That was the logic and the sort of things we talked about.

We created a tone book, a tone document, with music references, film clips, photographs, colour palette references, paintings. All the heads of departments were invited to contribute to the tone book, so we all feel invested in creating the world together. It’s like a blueprint. We all know that we’re trying to make the same film.
    He isn’t Sam Mendes so I am happy with Yann
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    He isn’t Sam Mendes...

Well, true. But neither are Michael Bay, Uwe Boll, or Lee Tamahori. Let's be careful what we wish for. The devil you know vs. the devil you don't and all that...I'd just as soon vote for someone I know can deliver something—heavenly.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    He isn’t Sam Mendes...

Well, true. But neither are Michael Bay, Uwe Boll, or Lee Tamahori. Let's be careful what we wish for. The devil you know vs. the devil you don't and all that...I'd just as soon vote for someone I know can deliver something—heavenly.

True but one mans visionary is another mans pompous ass...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    For those thinking the whole "Blofeld escaping, Madeleine dying" root is the only way they could go, I urge you to read this perfect piece of fan treatment. It proves as a more than worthy conclusion to Craig's arc without going down the predictable root.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18496/silhouettes-a-james-bond-story#latest
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    My dream would be if bond 25 was set in the blood stone time frame of between QOS and SF and it had Judi Dench back and mr white and quantum and picked up just after Qos and ended with bond being sent to turkey. It would kind of be a stand alone bond film apart from the pts and epilogue. Because spectre is kind of the ending of an arc right?
    Any way that will never happen
    Outside of my dreams at least
    My dream would be if bond 25 was set in the blood stone time frame of between QOS and SF and it had Judi Dench back and mr white and quantum and picked up just after Qos and ended with bond being sent to turkey. It would kind of be a stand alone bond film apart from the pts and epilogue. Because spectre is kind of the ending of an arc right?

I actually did consider the possibility of them setting the film sometime after CR but before SP. Most likely in between QoS and SF like you suggested. It would be an interesting idea - maybe better this way.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FoxRox wrote: »

I actually did consider the possibility of them setting the film sometime after CR but before SP. Most likely in between QoS and SF like you suggested. It would be an interesting idea - maybe better this way.

He could like find a spectre ring at some point and not know what it means but that’s why when he sees it in the helicopter in spectre he recognizes it and that’s why he takes it

More backwards engineering is exactly what this franchise needs
    He isn’t Sam Mendes...

Just to clarify, I am not in support of Mendes returning. But I would also rather a director I feel confident at the helm of Bond than an unknown quantity—be their strength action or drama or art-house. I have no idea what makes Demange such an enticing candidate. Maybe if I watched '71 I'd be pumping the air with my fists in excitement, I don't know.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,270

He could like find a spectre ring at some point and not know what it means but that’s why when he sees it in the helicopter in spectre he recognizes it and that’s why he takes it

More backwards engineering is exactly what this franchise needs

I actually am more in favor the more I think about this. It would be innovative for the series to finally do a film like this timeline-wise, and they also wouldn't have to worry about all the messy plot details post-SP. It doesn't even have to contain Quantum or SPECTRE if they don't want it to. If so, maybe they could add more detail about Quantum's demise since it is still a little ambiguous at the end of QoS (but we assume of course they get dismantled since it is all SPECTRE by SP). For the writers, and I think most fans, doing a film set in between QoS and SF for Craig's finale may just be the best course of action. This is smart. I bet @Birdleson would approve as well.
    He isn’t Sam Mendes...

Just to clarify, I am not in support of Mendes returning. But I would also rather a director I feel confident at the helm of Bond than an unknown quantity—be their strength action or drama or art-house. I have no idea what makes Demange such an enticing candidate. Maybe if I watched '71 I'd be pumping the air with my fists in excitement, I don't know.

And just to clarify that statement, the director I would rather have at the helm of Bond is not Mendes, but another director entirely—someone I feel confident could do right by Bond.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i know it's hard not to jump to conclusions about who they hire to direct a Bond movie - because like someone else pointed out, if they turned around and hired Uwe Boll, Michael Bay or Lee Tamahori - i'd be pulling my hair out... I don't know Yann Demange, nor am I familiar with any of the work he's done.. i also find it strange that EON would want to go with someone with so little experience behind the camera - especially when it comes to helming their 'golden boy's' swan song of a Bond movie..
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

We share the same dream.
    Remington wrote: »

We share the same dream.

That already makes 3. Let's start a petition and send it to EON!!!

We share the same dream.

Mention it to @Gustav_Graves he knows all about petitions.
    I wasn't all that impressed with '71. It's a very good film, but nothing in it screamed "Bond" to me.
    I agree. I also don't feel MGM will want to place such a huge production in his inexperienced hands. Personally, I think they'll go with someone with a more proven track record in big budget movies than Demange. He'll probably be OK for one of Eon's smaller pet projects, though.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,619
    bondsum wrote: »
    I also don't feel MGM will want to place such a huge production in his inexperienced hands.
    It's not up to MGM. If Barbara Broccoli wants Demange to direct Bond 25, then Demange will direct Bond 25.
  • Dennison wrote: »

We share the same dream.

Mention it to @Gustav_Graves he knows all about petitions.

Here you go @FoxRox and @Remington :
    https://www.change.org/p/eon-productions-give-the-fans-a-more-influential-say-in-the-uncertain-future-of-the-james-bond-franchise
  • bondsum wrote: »
    I agree. I also don't feel MGM will want to place such a huge production in his inexperienced hands. Personally, I think they'll go with someone with a more proven track record in big budget movies than Demange. He'll probably be OK for one of Eon's smaller pet projects, though.

Just wrote an article about it for our Dutch colleagues of MI6-hq.com:
    https://www.jamesbond.nl/distributiedeal-bond-25-vs-bijna-rond/

Personally, I am starting to think the same thing. Given the huge 'upscaling' of the previous two Bond films, production-wise, I think EON Productions indeed want to have another big name as director. Looking at how TSWLM and GE also premiered a year later after the initial premiere dates/years of 1976 and 1994 respectively (Also, remember, this happened to "Batman vs. Superman" as well), I wouldn't be surprised that Bond #25 will be (slightly) delayed to early 2020, to accomodate to Villeneuve's busy schedule. Let's not forget that -if Villeneuve works hard- he can already have the first brainstorm sessions with cast and crew for Bond #25 late 2018 (October or November). What matters more for me right now, is having a damn good watertight script for Bond #25.

Another option is that EON Productions goes for that other big name: Steven Soderbergh. I think he could be lured in pretty easily, since his movie "Logan Lucky" was a huge financial flop (the film itself was wonderful!), and so was his new way of distributing, marketing and promoting films outside the Hollywood mogul's territories. Soderbergh has a clear idea about Bond, and he had a tremendous amount of fun on set with Daniel Craig.

Let's also not forget that MGM is becoming a bit more -this sounds weird- powerful as well, given the fact that MGM and Annapurna are teaming up as a joint venture to distribute Bond 25 in the North-American market. To make this new joint venture go smoothly, Gary Barber perhaps doesn't want too much delays. He has a big say in the production as well, since EON Productions theemselves are not financing...they merely get royalties, whereas MGM and Annapurna will become big investors in the film.

Yann Demange and David Mackenzie? I think they can pull of a more financially streamlined Bond production as well. That could be of interest as well for MGM-Annapurna...

Oooowh well, so many questions still :-).

• Pfffff, so quiet today :-)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Haven't these people gone with folks who may be considered inexperienced previously? Campbell in 1995 for instance (who at the time was more well known for his tv movies)?

Perhaps that is precisely what the series needs at this point. I'm not advocating for Demange necessarily (I don't know anything about his work), but to be frank I think it's time the producers weaned themselves off this auteur obsession they've had lately, which I'm quite certain Craig (the biggest 'auteur' of all even though he's only had acting credit up to SP) is behind. I don't believe a James Bond film will ever garner an Academy Award for best director or actor so would prefer if they forget about chasing such dreams. I'm in the mood for a more producer driven entry, particularly as B25 is a transition film preparing us for a new man to follow. This is why I wasn't so concerned to learn that Villeneuve is busy and why I'm open to Mackenzie or Demange.

Moreover, the apparent choice of Annapurna for US distribution suggests a new way of doing things is in the works. Perhaps a more 'scaled down' way given the lack of profits for the distributor.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I'm in the mood for a more producer driven entry, particularly as B25 is a transition film preparing us for a new man to follow. This is why I wasn't so concerned to learn that Villeneuve is busy and why I'm open to Mackenzie or Demange.

Moreover, the apparent choice of Annapurna for US distribution suggests a new way of doing things is in the works. Perhaps a more 'scaled down' way given the lack of profits for the distributor.

I could also buy that @BondJames. Hence I also write down your option in my previous post. I kinda dig this new MGM-Annapurna construction. It shows that MGM wants to really become a financially stable film operation again. So indeed, a choice for Yann Demange or David Mackenzie to me sounds very interesting.

Add Universal or Warner Bros. for just one-picture international distribution deal, and then perhaps for Bond #26, MGM and Annapurna both can go full-throttle distribution-wise (domestic and international).

Actually, I am open for whatever director. Name or fame doesn't make a succesful and critically acclaimed Bond film. But it certainly doesn't necessarily break one eother. So Denis Villeneuve? Yann Demange? Christopher Nolan? David Mackenzie? Steven Soderbergh? I'm in for one of these 5 directors :-)