No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »

Article states that sources report it is not due to Bond 25. One can only hope, anyway.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Article states that sources report it is not due to Bond 25. One can only hope, anyway.

sam-mendes.jpg?w=612&h=380&crop=1
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    He has no strings to hold him down.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    And Waltz wasn’t playing Blofeld, Sam Smith wasn’t singing the title song...
    I think Mendes is back

I have a feeling with DV not able to helm, if not already Babs & EON are gonna patch things up & get Mendes back.

There was a post last year claiming Mendes & Craig had an idea for B25 & if the stars aligned would do another together,
  • Mendes = Joker

Thug = Bond 25 audience

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    ...and the other shoe drops. Right on cue. When Craig was announced this was the most likely scenario. The trilogy/hat trick.
    I would take Campbell over Mendes in a second.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 6,743
    Mendes = Joker

Thug = Bond 25 audience

Enough! From the clown!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    *sigh* ... If this turns out to happen, I won't be over the moon about it, especially with the thought of Newman returning to score (ick).. but at the absolute very least, it will bookend whatever they started, hopefully.. I'm just done with family drama - no one cares, or at least I don't.. What is next? Unresolved Sister trauma?.... Maybe I shouldn't have said that, give them an awful idea.
    Ahhhh, Newman’s return, I had not thought of that. Sigh....
    If it's him, it will explain a lot of things, most notably Craig's confidence (without a complete script) during the Colbert interview. That always puzzled me. He was too cool this early on (not his modus operandi). The stench of an 'old hand' was in the air.

Well, let's see what transpires. I'm ok with Mendes. He'll atone for his sins (he's had 2 years to think on them).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Guys, let's all chill out. It's a live-action Pinocchio film for christ sake. Mendes has shown zero interest to do a third film (just the opposite, in fact).
    Do people really want Demange or Mackenzie over Mendes?

Surely Sam is the preferred choice of the three?
    Mendes should not return. My hype will go down quite a bit if so. I wish Campbell returned to finish Craig’s Bond films.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @jake24 he showed zero interest to return after SF.. "I told my story".. But he did anyway.. Just sayin..
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 6,743
    bondjames wrote: »
    If it's him, it will explain a lot of things, most notably Craig's confidence (without a complete script) during the Colbert interview. That always puzzled me. He was too cool this early on (not his modus operandi). The stench of an 'old hand' was in the air.

Well, let's see what transpires. I'm ok with Mendes. He'll atone for his sins (he's had 2 years to think on them).

Yes, but there was this rumor (from The Daily Mail, do keep in mind) that from the candidates, Craig favored Villenueve as the director of Bond 25. If that's true, it doesn't sound like someone who was certain of Mendes returning. And at any rate, Mendes dropped out of Pinocchio now, or recently, not back when Craig appeared on Colbert. Maybe Craig just had a long conversation with the producers and they saw eye to eye on where to take a fifth film, and that's why he was optimistic?
    mattjoes wrote: »

Yes, but there was this rumor (from The Daily Mail, do keep in mind) that from the candidates, Craig favored Villenueve as the director of Bond 25. If that's true, it doesn't sound like someone who was certain of Mendes returning. And at any rate, Mendes dropped out of Pinocchio now, or recently, not back when Craig appeared on Colbert. Maybe Craig just had a long conversation with the producers and they saw eye to eye on where to take a fifth film.
    Perhaps, and what you say makes sense. However as I said, something about that interview was 'off'. Just my intuition.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    HASEROT wrote: »
    @jake24 he showed zero interest to return after SF.. "I told my story".. But he did anyway.. Just sayin..
    That will always be a fair point, but given the turmoil surrounding the making of SP (and I'm not talking about the alleged bickering that took place between him and Craig, but rather issues with scripting, and a rather disastrous shooting schedule), not to mention some of the comments made following the film's release, it doesn't seem remotely plausible for him to change his mind at this stage.

That said, EON really need to move forward with a decision before the year's end. The scripting process will begin to ramp up by then, and a director best be signed on sooner rather than later to inject their vision into the story. If Mendes is truly out, then I guarantee they're in the process of fighting for Villeneuve.
  • I don't think it seems likely but I'd be happy with Mendes, I really enjoyed Skyfall and thought Spectre was even better. If it was a new actor/direction then I wouldn't want him back but since Craig is back it makes sense for Mendes to return and finish what he started imo.

Yes, but there was this rumor (from The Daily Mail, do keep in mind) that from the candidates, Craig favored Villenueve as the director of Bond 25. If that's true, it doesn't sound like someone who was certain of Mendes returning. And at any rate, Mendes dropped out of Pinocchio now, or recently, not back when Craig appeared on Colbert. Maybe Craig just had a long conversation with the producers and they saw eye to eye on where to take a fifth film.
    Perhaps, and what you say makes sense. However as I said, something about that interview was 'off'. Just my intuition.

With the benefit of a few months' hindsight, I do understand what you mean about the interview. Craig seemed a tad too excited for something that was presumably in such an early stage of development. But I think the cause of that is anybody's guess. Maybe he thought they had a director in the bag, maybe he thought the idea for the story was great, maybe the producers wanted a lighter Bond 25 and he did too, maybe they were already willing to dump Blofeld and Madeleine and he took that as good news.
    I don't think it seems likely but I'd be happy with Mendes, I really enjoyed Skyfall and thought Spectre was even better. If it was a new actor/direction then I wouldn't want him back but since Craig is back it makes sense for Mendes to return and finish what he started imo.

I had a blast with Spectre, but there is a dangerous quality to Mendes, in terms of his story ideas, that I don't like. He wants to analyze Bond in depth but in doing so he seems to be willing to do some radical things, that can work out alright or fail in a big way. I'm fine with the filmmakers experimenting with Bond, but not all the time. I'm not sure Mendes would take a different approach than before, if he were to return.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883

With the benefit of a few months' hindsight, I do understand what you mean about the interview. Craig seemed a tad too excited for something that was presumably in such an early stage of development. But I think the cause of that is anybody's guess. Maybe he thought they had a director in the bag, maybe he thought the idea for the story was great, maybe the producers wanted a lighter Bond 25 and he did too, maybe they were already willing to dump Blofeld and Madeleine and he took that as good news.
    The only thing I'm reasonably certain of is that there is far more going on here than we know about. The somewhat arrogant (imho) proclamation of a 'high' to come was a tip off to me.

Whatever we may think of Sam, he knows how to make a financially successful Bond film. That element was never in question with him.

Honestly, I can only see it being him at this stage. Villeneuve has been talking about Bond in the press when asked, and his comments suggest EON may consider him in the future and he may work with Craig on another future project.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 7,982
    The intent by all concerned may have not been for Mendes to return, but as other candidates have removed themselves from consideration and Mendes now having an empty dance card, for good or bad the planets may be aligning for his return.

The only thing I'm reasonably certain of is that there is far more going on here than we know about. The somewhat arrogant (imho) proclamation of a 'high' to come was a tip off to me.

Whatever we may think of Sam, he knows how to make a financially successful Bond film. That element was never in question with him.

Honestly, I can only see it being him at this stage. Villeneuve has been talking about Bond in the press when asked, and his comments suggest EON may consider him in the future and he may work with Craig on another future project.

Well, I do hope you are wrong! :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This is random but I'd like to see George Miller get a shot at directing Bond.
    Having said that, I did research his schedule a few weeks back when I thought he may be the guy, and he has some theatre projects underway, including a UK Lehman Brothers project starring Simon Russell Beale followed by a possible Broadway debut for The Ferryman in late 2018.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Woah!
    161010-daniel-craig-quantum-solace-tom-ford-jacket.jpg

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

That would be awesome!

On another topic,
    I really hope mendes does not return because this franchise needs a breath of fresh air