No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I think Babs & EON have Mendes as their backup since DV didnt work out,
    Oh fuck not Mendes again
    Geez. If it is Mendes I feel uneasy about it - and I enjoy both of his Bond films. It was easy to tell though in SP they were running out of gas and ideas, and third act suffered because of that. Campbell set the bar too high with CR; it won’t be topped.
    Say if Mendes does comeback. What needs to be done to make sure Bond 25 doesn’t end up like Spectre?
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Since it will be Craig‘s last and MAYBE even EoN‘s last (even I still doubt that) maybe they want to play it safe? I sincerely hope they won‘t
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Say if Mendes does comeback. What needs to be done to make sure Bond 25 doesn’t end up like Spectre?

Nothing, he is incompetent, it will be another botch film with a broken story
    I'm getting vibes of Craig,Mendes,Newman,Waltz,Shatterhand...............and a crock of over-confident,arrogant shit.
    Well if Mendes is the director it will be a paint your numbers bond film with some random pop singer doing the theme and this time the focus of family will be bond deciding between the family he created for himself (him and Swann) and his surrogate family (M Moneypennu and Q) with lots of Moore jokes that don’t fit the Craig era skyfalls score used a third time (after all why do work when you can press play on a cd and sync it to the new film) if not Shatterhand (the obvious title) we will get Another S word perhaps Shadows or Shamelady and there you go
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,272
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I'm getting vibes of Craig,Mendes,Newman,Waltz,Shatterhand...............and a crock of over-confident,arrogant shit.

My thoughts as well. Don't want a film that's just visuals.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    This is actually good news. Thanks for the article, GG. I do hope MGM distributes the film on its own.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    This is actually good news. Thanks for the article, GG. I do hope MGM distributes the film on its own.
    Very interesting. If I'm reading that correctly, Annapurna perhaps don't have the US distribution rights yet. If they did, why not mention it today. I'm feeling a bit relieved, because my preference is for a big house to get the job (Stateside as well as global).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    Very interesting. If I'm reading that correctly, Annapurna perhaps don't have the US distribution rights yet. If they did, why not mention it today. I'm feeling a bit relieved, because my preference is for a big house to get the job (Stateside as well as global).
    +1
  • bondjames wrote: »

Deadline said the MGM-Annapurna was this close (they actually spelled it "thisclose" for effect) to securing U.S. distribution. The website said it should be finalized "this week."

Also, it's the MGM-Annapurna joint venture, not Annapurna by itself that Deadline was talking about. The joint venture is MGM's method of getting more control and taking back distribution.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    To be fair, Barber states on the call that "Distribution plans for B25 have yet to be announced," but that they are continuing conversations. Nothing about this contradicts Deadline's claim, but like anything else I would wait for official confirmation.

Why not mention it today? I presume because MGM and its eventual studio partner would want to announce it in a more formal circumstance than an investor relations call.
    Spectre has faults yes, but they arent all on Mendes & they werent looking to make Skyfall 2.

Spectre was a film for the hardcore fans IMO & when you go that route its usually a little less criticially recieved.

Mendes can still deliver if the script & screenplay are in place & everything is cohesive & in order.

Out of all the names being tossed around for director nobody stuck out to me as a "must have" to helm the next one other than maybe Nolan. Im glad DV isnt likely to direct because besides Prisoners all his films are boring slogs of a film filled with facial expressions. He is too much of a risk even for EON to helm Craigs finale.

I think their gonna go with someone safe who Craig has worked with before. Out of all the options Mendes would be my first choice followed by Nolan & maybe Soderbergh.
    Every time I see the name "Barber" I'm reminded of his quarterly report in which he foresaw the Bonds remaining on a 3-4 year schedule.

Deadline said the MGM-Annapurna was this close (they actually spelled it "thisclose" for effect) to securing U.S. distribution. The website said it should be finalized "this week."

Also, it's the MGM-Annapurna joint venture, not Annapurna by itself that Deadline was talking about. The joint venture is MGM's method of getting more control and taking back distribution.
    Yes, that's a good point. The joint venture taking US distribution does make sense actually, especially given the kind of competition it's going to be up against during the timeframe of release. May keep costs lower.
    jake24 wrote: »
    To be fair, Barber states on the call that "Distribution plans for B25 have yet to be announced," but that they are continuing conversations. Nothing about this contradicts Deadline's claim, but like anything else I would wait for official confirmation.

Why not mention it today? I presume because MGM and its eventual studio partner would want to announce it in a more formal circumstance than an investor relations call.
    True. It doesn't make sense to necessarily announce today in retrospect.
    Barber said what he said probably because he had no other choice since the Annapurna deal is not finalized yet. It's extremely unlikely at this point that the deal won't be finalized very soon.

As for the latest MENDES rumors: I would rather have him back than a relatively inexperienced guy like Demange (and I like Demange). He is an extremely competent director who has made one bad movie (Spectre). He was very reluctant to come back after Skyfall, so I believe if he decided to be back again, it would mean they have an EXCELLENT script (or at least an excellent treatment).

My thoughts as well. Don't want a film that's just visuals.
    I´d love that, but what´s that got to do with Mendes?

edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Could it really be a Craig/Mendes hatrick?
    Waltz was a big clue, in addition to the ones I mentioned a few pages back. When he said he was out a few weeks back I immediately checked Mendes' schedule. As mentioned, he has some theatre productions underway so not sure if he could do it. However, I'd like him to.

If it did turn out to be Mendes again? Waltz I am sure would figure again in one way or another?
    They apparently had a falling out, which is why I assumed Mendes was back once Waltz commented he was out. I realize there were rumours of a Mendes/Craig spat too, but I saw no evidence of that whatsoever, especially after SP's release, and so believe that was a red herring to throw us off the scent.

I've always assumed that Craig back would mean Mendes. It was always the most logical conclusion, particularly (as I've said countless times before) because all of the supporting cast bar Rory are his peeps.

Craig... yes!
    Mendes... yes!
    Newman... yes!

Waltz... no!
    Shatterhand... NOOOOOO!!!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

because you never announce anything as "official" until all the T's are crossed and all the I's are dotted... thats the way business works
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    HASEROT wrote: »

because you never announce anything as "official" until all the T's are crossed and all the I's are dotted... thats the way business works
    Of course, that too.
  • fjdinardo wrote: »

A better script, and oversight.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

A better script, and oversight.

And a better composer.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,399
    @Murdock

here is a rescore i did of that same scene.... IMO, this is how it should've sounded - not with Newman's incompetent nonsense..

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @haserot...

THAT IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! \m/