No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Since it will be Craig‘s last and MAYBE even EoN‘s last (even I still doubt that) maybe they want to play it safe? I sincerely hope they won‘t

can this narrative stop until it goes just beyond a fart of a rumor, that someone probably just made up.. there has been nothing that says EON is going to be done with Bond - put it to rest.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    HASEROT wrote: »
    @Murdock

here is a rescore i did of that same scene.... IMO, this is how it should've sounded - not with Newman's incompetent nonsense..

I'm generally not a fan of blaring the Bond theme during an action scene (I realize many will disagree with me) but I have to say that intolerable sequence in the film actually 'looks better' to me (in addition to sounding much better) on account of your rescore. Good job.

While I don't dislike his efforts as much as many do, Newman's rehashing of The Moors was just unforgivable and it went on and and on and on and on..... Gave me a bloody earache. That track worked so much better in SF.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    bondjames wrote: »
    Newman's rehashing of The Moors was just unforgivable and it went on and and on and on and on..... Gave me a bloody earache. That track worked so much better in SF.

Agreed. It worked fine in Skyfall. It also helped it wasn't looped for nearly 18 minutes in it either.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,399
    @bondjames
    @Murdock

exactly...

the lack of Bond theme since Craig took over has bothered me.. I don't need to hear it all the time - but it should be used to highlight what we would consider "Bond moments".. and i've always said this scene in SP was prime for the Bond theme, and Newman/Mendes wizzed it down their leg..

my problem with SP's score overall is how much is simply rehashed from SF... i've heard others explain it as Newman trying to build specific moment themes and cues.. but i call it laziness.. there are some moments of brilliance in there, but then - like the scene above - you get The Moors rehashed for a whole scene - without even an attempt to remix it... i dont want to keep bringing up Arnold - but he reused cues as well, but he always changed things within the music, that while it was the same, it sounded a little different.

@haserot, Agreed, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Though at risk of sounding ignorant, What cues has Arnold reused? I've listened to his scores a lot and aside from the reuse of Vesper's theme to fit certain narrative elements and a suspense motif, I've never heard an Arnold track that was flat out a direct reuse of a whole track like what we've experienced with Newman.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    This is actually good news. Thanks for the article, GG. I do hope MGM distributes the film on its own.
    Very interesting. If I'm reading that correctly, Annapurna perhaps don't have the US distribution rights yet. If they did, why not mention it today. I'm feeling a bit relieved, because my preference is for a big house to get the job (Stateside as well as global).
    To be fair, Barber states on the call that "Distribution plans for B25 have yet to be announced," but that they are continuing conversations. Nothing about this contradicts Deadline's claim, but like anything else I would wait for official confirmation.

Why not mention it today? I presume because MGM and its eventual studio partner would want to announce it in a more formal circumstance than an investor relations call.

MGM reported third-quarter financial results today. They have an investor call the same day when quarterly financial results are reported. MGM had to say *something*. Barber said as little as he could get away with.
    "Going Down Together" from the DAD soundtrack is reused from TWINE - it doesn't appear on the soundtrack, but it's in the movie where Bond and Elektra are skiing to the survey lines.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    Every time I see the name "Barber" I'm reminded of his quarterly report in which he foresaw the Bonds remaining on a 3-4 year schedule.

And he was right.
    @haserot, I found both tracks you reference. They do sound similar but they aren't the same compositions.

but thats the point i am making.... Going Down Together is merely a stripped down and reorganized version of that track from TWINE... Arnold used something from before, but redid it, so it sounds different and is it's own thing... Newman just copies and pastes.
    Oh I get your point now. My mistake.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »
    This is actually good news. Thanks for the article, GG. I do hope MGM distributes the film on its own.
    Very interesting. If I'm reading that correctly, Annapurna perhaps don't have the US distribution rights yet. If they did, why not mention it today. I'm feeling a bit relieved, because my preference is for a big house to get the job (Stateside as well as global).
    To be fair, Barber states on the call that "Distribution plans for B25 have yet to be announced," but that they are continuing conversations. Nothing about this contradicts Deadline's claim, but like anything else I would wait for official confirmation.

Why not mention it today? I presume because MGM and its eventual studio partner would want to announce it in a more formal circumstance than an investor relations call.

MGM reported third-quarter financial results today. They have an investor call the same day when quarterly financial results are reported. MGM had to say *something*. Barber said as little as he could get away with.
    Exactly my point.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    AIl67ub.gif
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    AIl67ub.gif
    Food poisoning, mate? You've got to stop eating those. ;)
    How many times has this gif popped up? Daniel Craig's gonna need an endoscopy! :))
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    AIl67ub.gif

I have tried this...it works well.
    If Mendes comes back, will Newman do too? Will he want to or will he do it out of loyalty to Mendes? I just checked Mendes' filmography and only one of his films (2009's Away We Go) was not scored by Newman.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    If Mendes comes back, will Newman do too? Will he want to or will he do it out of loyalty to Mendes? I just checked Mendes' filmography and only one of his films (2009's Away We Go) was not scored by Newman.

If we get Mendes (we'll see), we'll get Newman.
    That's a depressing thought.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bond 25 Production Diary: B25, Wonder Woman to compete in box office; is Warner Bros out of the mix?
    For the WW development, that's awesome. I want to see both.

d3a6b8110708c68c1f7f24dfd0dc410a.jpg
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Speaking of EPIX, not sure if this means anything, but two of Villeneuve's films are available on the MGM-owned channel this month: Sicario and Arrival.
    I asked about Newman because it was said before, by other users, that he had to be pushed into including the Skyfall theme song in his score, and because his work in Spectre was based on the temp-tracking done by the editor. Also, I'm not sure about this (take it with a huge grain of salt), but apparently Newman was reluctant to include the Bond theme in Skyfall. But just the two first things alone give me the impression that a) Newman is particularly disinclined to include someone else's thematic material and b) he wasn't too inspired when he worked on Spectre, if he reused themes so much (not that one needs any behind-the-scenes knowledge to realize that). So I think he has worked on Bond mainly because Mendes dragged him into it, not because he was particularly interested in it. Could he be tempted to pass on Bond 25?

I admit one could question Newman's interest regarding any other Mendes-Newman collaboration, not just the Bond films. But I'm just imagining a hypothetical scenario in which Mendes returns but Newman doesn't.
    That's why Newman isn't fit for Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I don't know if this has been posted but it's very insightful and spot on about many aspects of the score and title song while making a good argument that Newman may not be the best suited composer for Bond.

http://filmtracks.com/titles/spectre.html
    HASEROT wrote: »

can this narrative stop until it goes just beyond a fart of a rumor, that someone probably just made up.. there has been nothing that says EON is going to be done with Bond - put it to rest.

Not really. Even MI6-HQ confirmed that the rumor is not just BS.
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    What are your main problems with SP ?

Apart from reading here in the Bond Community I have never read anywhere that it was Mendes who came up with the Brofeld story. is there any proof of that ? is it mentioned in the sony leaks ?

I thought I heard Wade and Purvis say something like this. and Mendes himself in a podcast. but the brother aspect is just one of the three big problems I have with SP. the other two: 2) making the biggest Bond of all time. that shouldn't be a goal in itself. yes, SP has some terrific scenes, but they forgot the story. Imho a good story should be the number one goal. 3) making Blofeld the author of all Bond's pain, tying all storylines together.

• edited November 2017 Posts: 386
    Disappointed to see that Mendes is still in the frame.

He makes films for the cinema. This is why he made bank. SF and SP are spectacularly staged but shallow with no repeat value. Moreover, I don't think he understands Fleming at all. Or how to imbue Bond's world with the details and quirks we know and love from the other movies.

A third Mendes film would tip the Craig canon into negative territory. Good first couple, pretentious, angsty final three.

If Mendes is announced I will still look forward to B25 but will not be expecting Craig to get his wish and go out on a high note.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,425
    mattjoes wrote: »

I really enjoyed Away We Go. It has a soundtrack of old songs which explains why Newman wasn't involved. Is it coincidence that one of the few Mendes films I've thoroughly enjoyed didn't involved Newman?

It does seem unforgivable that on a Bond movie a composer is allowed to get away with just rehashing his previous score. I mean, what are EON paying the guy for if that is all he brings to the table. Very poor form. I don't know what kind of relationship Mendes and Newman have, but presumably Newman pays Mendes a kickback for every gig he's offered.

Having said all of this, I actually was less bothered by the score on SP than I was on SF. On SF because I just disliked the film in general the score grated more. With SP, I was more taken along for the ride by the film, so these quibbles were less noticeable.

Does seem like there's a chance now of Mendes coming back for one more. I would have thought that meant Waltz is definitely out of the picture though?
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Disappointed to see that Mendes is still in the frame.

He makes films for the cinema. This is why he made bank. SF and SP are spectacularly staged but shallow with no repeat value. Moreover, I don't think he understands Fleming at all. Or how to imbue Bond's world with the details and quirks we know and love from the other movies.

A third Mendes film would tip the Craig canon into negative territory. Good first couple, pretentious, angsty final three.

If Mendes is announced I will still look forward to B25 but will not be expecting Craig to get his wish and go out on a high note.

For me I actually felt a discernible improvement in quality between SF and SP, which makes me feel that a third Mendes entry might be better still. SF is the low point of the Craig era for me. Incoherent mess of a film that inexplicably hit the BO jackpot (the 2012 Olympics and Adelle explain at least 25% of the BO IMO).

SP is full of flaws, not least Brofeld, but that's a fleeting moment that I am able to largely overlook. The rest of the film is full of nice scenes that surpass anything in SF IMO. The PTS pretty much hits it out of the park. Wishaw's Q comes into his own. The Spectre meet in Rome is rather nicely done I think. Good choice of locations (better than SF any way), if not particularly well used. The plane chase sequence is hardly classic Bond but beats any of the action in SF. The train fight is cliched but highly enjoyable. It might not be the sum of its parts, but scene for scene it surpasses SF.

I agree neither Mendes film has much rewatch value - least of all SF. Both are way too long for starters and full of plodding padding that drags massively on a rewatch. But with Mendes providing two highly successful commercial entries in a row, EON would of course want to know if they can get him back for a third. If he returns he will be the only director apart from Glen to direct 3 in a row.

I personally hoped for more from the Craig era. I enjoyed CR and QoS and then it all took a wrong turn with SF, with Mendes only partially redeeming himself with SP. But if I look back over the recent history of Bond and how low the series sank at numerous points from 95-02, then I have to say that even with the recent drop in form, we're still in a much better position than we were fifteen years ago.
    I will NEVER understand how some people can believe SF is an incoherent mess, but QOS isn't. And don't get me wrong, I like QOS.