No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    It just feels very weird and kinda suspicious that we haven't had the director announced at this point even though we already know boyle is the man but I think after the Sony leaks eon and mgm are really treading lightly
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can appreciate the concern around the delay but there are legitimate reasons for it this time (other than people needing breaks and rest and what not, which is what ticked me off).

By all indications there is some dealmaking going on behind the scenes which is preventing an announcement for the time being. Those sort of deals take time to work through. There are peripheral elements that must be considered.

In the meanwhile, it looks like 'creative' is doing its preparatory thing until it gets the go ahead to propel forward.

I think the silence is actually a positive at this moment, because it means something important (and potentially transformative) is going to come of it. Or at least I very much hope so. If not, then yes I'd agree it's been disappointing.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    EON just announced that their focus of the week is wai lin ughh!!

Not sure what that has to do with B25. Take it you're not a Wai-Lin fan?

No that's not the point I very much like wai lin the point is eon keeps giving us these focuses of the week instead of what we really need the official announcement which I feel they are ready to release

We have no way of knowing what's going on behind the scenes. They'll make the announcement when they're ready - so buckle up for more focuses of the week, more behind the scenes stories, and more Bond Girl Friday's shared on all the James Bond/MI6 social media websites. You gotta start pushing these expectations out of your mind and let yourself be pleasantly surprised when an announcement does inevitably come.

Exactly.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Last entries of my daily diary:

April 29th: Dull day. No Bond 25 announcements today. I got a message on ny phone and was sure it was about Bond, but no luck, it was a mate asking me to go watch Infinity Warp or something. I don't like Star Trek, really.

April 30th: Still no Bond news. Oh, and I got fired from my job. My boss was a total prick. But what about Bond!!!1

April 31st: My landlord is throwing me out. Says I haven't paid in three months or something. Well, what about my internet connection?! How am I going to keep up with Bond 25 news without an internet connection?! I hate him. While he was telling me I had to leave, I asked him if he was looking forward to Bond 25 and he told me to take a hike. GoldenEye fan, it seems! So he's cool, all things considered.

April 32nd: Okay, today's the day. Bond 25 news in three, two, one... now! Uh... now!

Damn.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Craig is the manliest Bond since Connery. That is true.

Bond and Mr. White is the best scene in the movie.

Honestly, I want to rewatch Spectre right now to prove myself I still love Spectre and that I'm in the minority, that does not consider Spectre a trainwreck every one else sees it.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    mattjoes wrote: »

April 29th: Dull day. No Bond 25 announcements today. I got a message on ny phone and was sure it was about Bond, but no luck, it was a mate asking me to go watch Infinity Warp or something. I don't like Star Trek, really.

April 30th: Still no Bond news. Oh, and I got fired from my job. My boss was a total prick. But what about Bond!!!1

April 31st: My landlord is throwing me out. Says I haven't paid in three months or something. Well, what about my internet connection?! How am I going to keep up with Bond 25 news without an internet connection?! I hate him. While he was telling me I had to leave, I asked him if he was looking forward to Bond 25 and he told me to take a hike. GoldenEye fan, it seems! So he's cool, all things considered.

April 32nd: Okay, today's the day. Bond 25 news in three, two, one... now! Uh... now!

Damn.

JuicyFrankAmericansaddlebred-max-1mb.gif
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Damn.

=)) Awesome
    More set photos of Boyle's musical. I suppose those reports of it being a period film were rubbish...makes you doubt Baz and the trades reporting.

DcN4__tW0AIL1Fp.jpg
    DcN4__pWAAYMDxG.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    It could be that this sequence is only taking place in the present day.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2018 Posts: 6,002
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Craig is the best since Connery. Even with the disappointing SP I stand by that.

Agreed. Craig is the game-changing Bond. He made the series culturally relevant again.
    patb wrote: »
    Taking a step back, can anyone explain why Bond movies are/have been produced seemingly in isolation rather than planning ahead? Is there any reason why plans for Bond 26 can't start now? @bondjames mentioned a "reimagination" which I think sums things up. Why wait another 2/3 years for this to start?

Great question. I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, it stems from Cubby's method, which was to put everything into the current movie, announce the next movie at the end, and deal with the next story later. The difference back then was that Cubby had all the novels to draw upon, and he had the deep genius of Maibaum, who I'd say is one of the most important people (and a bit of an unsung hero, as the writer often is) in the franchise's success.

Babs and MGW are still trying to emulate Cubby, but don't have the deep shelf and bench that he did.

It continues to mystify me why we haven't seen Gala Brand or the plot of THR yet (especially during the more or less Fleming-free Brosnan years). Brosnan's Bond/Liz Krest/Fidele Barbey would have been interesting.
  • 00Agent wrote: »
    Everything in Moderation.

EON was actually this close to choosing this over Everything or Nothing.
    echo wrote: »
    Craig is the best since Connery. Even with the disappointing SP I stand by that.

Agreed. Craig is the game-changing Bond. He made the series culturally relevant again.
    Taking a step back, can anyone explain why Bond movies are/have been produced seemingly in isolation rather than planning ahead? Is there any reason why plans for Bond 26 can't start now? @bondjames mentioned a "reimagination" which I think sums things up. Why wait another 2/3 years for this to start?

Great question. I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, it stems from Cubby's method, which was to put everything into the current movie, announce the next movie at the end, and deal with the next story later. The difference back then was that Cubby had all the novels to draw upon, and he had the deep genius of Maibaum, who I'd say is one of the most important people (and a bit of an unsung hero, as the writer often is) in the franchise's success.

Babs and MGW are still trying to emulate Cubby, but don't have the deep shelf and bench that he did.

It continues to mystify me why we haven't seen Gala Brand or the plot of THR yet (especially during the more or less Fleming-free Brosnan years). Brosnan's Bond/Liz Krest/Fidele Barbey would have been interesting.

yep maibaum was critical. and perhaps a handful of directors to whom cubby could turn with confidence.

also up until tswlm or whenever it was he didn't have a studio to deal with as Harry was his partner
    @Getafix Very good point re the novels. Not only did they provide the titles and potential plot basics but they were a fantastic marketing tool as so many had read or heard of the book so the title was already in the public domain.

I’ve always campaigned for The Hildebrand Rarity to be on the big screen. Eon would have to grow some balls though in order to give it the respect it deserves. If they shot this short story they’d most likely cut it up and have other scenes thrown in, set in other parts of the world so the average cinema goer with the attention span of five minutes doesn’t get bored. It could work as long as they don’t ruin it by making it too fast paced. What it does deserve is to be treated like a slower paced, suspenseful screen adaptation not unlike an Agatha Christie picture.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 2,115
    Getafix wrote: »

yep maibaum was critical. and perhaps a handful of directors to whom cubby could turn with confidence.

also up until tswlm or whenever it was he didn't have a studio to deal with as Harry was his partner

Broccoli still had to deal with a studio -- United Artists. Broccoli and Saltzman didn't finance their movies. UA did.

You could argue that UA was more flexible than later management regimes at MGM. But UA still made its presence known. Example: UA's David Picker wanted Connery back for Diamonds Are Forever while Broccoli and Saltzman were planning to go with John Gavin.
    Getafix wrote: »

Broccoli still had to deal with a studio -- United Artists. Broccoli and Saltzman didn't finance their movies. UA did.

You could argue that UA was more flexible than later management regimes at MGM. But UA still made its presence known. Example: UA's David Picker wanted Connery back for Diamonds Are Forever while Broccoli and Saltzman were planning to go with John Gavin.

Thank God for David Picker !
    yep
    +3.

My understanding is that the studio intervened once more, in the early 90s. Perhaps controversially, I'm eternally grateful to them for that too.
    bondjames wrote: »
    +3.

My understanding is that the studio intervened once more, in the early 90s. Perhaps controversially, I'm eternally grateful to them for that too.

I just wanted to show that the old United Artists got involved at least periodically. There's a myth that UA just let Broccoli and Saltzman do whatever they wanted. I think UA did give the producers a long leash. But anytime you're supplying the funds, there's at least implicit power.
    +3.

I just wanted to show that the old United Artists got involved at least periodically. There's a myth that UA just let Broccoli and Saltzman do whatever they wanted. I think UA did give the producers a long leash. But anytime you're supplying the funds, there's at least implicit power.
    Yes, I would imagine so. From what we know, it hasn't been a bad thing either. After all, certain Sony execs were very clear early on about problems with the SP script as well. I quoted and cited one a few months back here. I can't remember her name, but she deserved a promotion at the very least.

I am quite certain that their influence will be felt on B25 as well.
    +3.

Seems like an arrangement we could do with now.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Bond films are available and are being promoted on Amazon Prime this month. I wonder if this is what Amazon was involved in negotiating when news broke of them having discussions with MGM in September of last year.
    The Bond films are available and are being promoted on Amazon Prime this month. I wonder if this is what Amazon was involved in negotiating when news broke of them having discussions with MGM in September of last year.

Aaah now that makes a lot of sense now !
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    barryt007 wrote: »

Bond films have been streaming on Amazon Prime prior to September 2017.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

Bond films have been streaming on Amazon Prime prior to September 2017.

I've never seen them on there and I have had Prime for about 4 years.
    Mind you I've never actively looked for them,so fair enough.
    Then perhaps their discussions with MGM were about something else. Still, I think the promotion they are giving them this month is a bit more than we've seen before. Could be wrong though.
    YouTube Red is all the rage right now. Perhaps Eon will make a deal with YouTube to finance and distribute B25? We wouldn't have to go to the cinema to see it, but could watch it on that tiny little screen instead.
    You could watch the PTS and title sequence for free, but would have to sign up to see the whole film.

I shouldn't joke like that actually.
    I can see a day when the theatrical release is tied to a paid streaming alternative for the couch potatoes, in 4K or upcoming 8K. It's inevitable, I think. They will need to find a way to monetize and capture the data properly, so that it can count towards 'box office' bragging rights, and so a lot of changes to process and categorizing will have to happen before then.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can see a day when the theatrical release is tied to a paid streaming alternative for the couch potatoes, in 4K or upcoming 8K. It's inevitable, I think. They will need to find a way to monetize and capture the data properly, so that it can count towards 'box office' bragging rights, and so a lot of changes to process and categorizing will have to happen before then.

It's already beginning to happen with certain films dropping on Netflix internationally mere weeks after their release date. Give it 10-20 years if that, you'll see theatrical films getting day-of releases via digital media.

Well….it is Thursday again team. That means Baz is due to release an article tonight. Whether that article contains any Bond scoops is unknown. But considering that the Beatles film is being made now (another scoop of Baz’s), I think he’s clearly in the ‘Danny Boyle business’. He’s dropped numerous other Boyle-related scoops in the past. Most are in relation to films that never came into fruition (including Boyle’s aaborted attempts at two other musicals, My Fair Lady and Miss Saigon). I think tonight is the tonight…………….however, like many, I suspect the next news story we get is of a delay to November 2020.