No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    As an aside, we're on page 1500. Still no distributor, despite the release date being announced on July 24, 2017. Carry on.

I simply cannot believe we're closing in on a year since the announcement. Time really does fly anymore, it's crazy.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    edited May 2018 Posts: 464

JamesBondBrasil teased this I wonder if everything will be announced may 11? I doubt they will announce the title
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

JamesBondBrasil teased this I wonder if everything will be announced may 11? I doubt they will announce the title
    It’s a fan art meant to throw off people. Posted on the previous page.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    If only it was real but may 11 does sound like a legit date doesn't it?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    As an aside, we're on page 1500. Still no distributor, despite the release date being announced on July 24, 2017. Carry on.

I simply cannot believe we're closing in on a year since the announcement. Time really does fly anymore, it's crazy.

Yikes! I didn’t think about that.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,277

It wasn't meant to throw off anybody. Like I said on my Twitter account when I posted: In desperate need for official #Bond25 news. I created this, wishing it could be true

I never said it wasn't a fan art. The thing is, people got too over excited about a simple piece of design.

• edited May 2018 Posts: 2,115

It wasn't meant to throw off anybody. Like I said on my Twitter account when I posted: In desperate need for official #Bond25 news. I created this, wishing it could be true

I never said it wasn't a fan art. The thing is, people got too over excited about a simple piece of design.

It was innocent. As Marketto said, it was a bit of wish fulfillment.

What's more disconcerting is how this could spread so quickly (despite the misspelling of Pinewood), including an Italian entertainment news website that did a story based upon it.

https://movie.talkymedia.it/post/43524/bond-25-l11-maggio-verra-svelato-il-titolo-in-una-sontuoso-conferenza-stampa-a-londra/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

(Plug the text into Google Translate)
    This wait really is painful. If it’s going to be like this between every Bond film it’d definitely be better for EON to sell.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    FoxRox wrote: »
    This wait really is painful. If it’s going to be like this between every Bond film it’d definitely be better for EON to sell.

It already is. We've just 4 year gap, followed by 3 year gap, followed by another 4 year gap.

If it weren't for QoS the last 2 year gap would be the one between TND and TWINE, 20 years ago.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    If only EON would improve their game with the next 007 actor, with Craig they dropped the ball in a major way.

absurd comment if you don't mind me saying so.

eon have only dropped the ball once in terms of the lead actor and I'm not talking about Laz or Dalton either.

Craig has been a solid Bond. his first two performances were excellent. he became a different Bond with SF and SP and there was a definite drop in energy but he's still head and shoulders above his immediate predecessor
    Craig is the best since Connery. Even with the disappointing SP I stand by that.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

My apologies, I phrased it wrongfully. I didn’t mean that the piece was intended to upset or misguide people. Of course I know it was just a mere demonstration of a fan art which you clearly stated in your post. That’s what I wanted to say, but came off wrongfully in my comment.
    Craig is the best since Connery. Even with the disappointing SP I stand by that.

the eternal debate.

not in my book but I've been happy with his tenure overall. generally speaking it's where I wanted Bond to be. just not keen on Mendes directorial style and overly nostalgic take on the character
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Definitely. For me he delivered 3 classics I keep rewatching for years along my Connery favourites now. As much as I still am disappointed by SP I am looking forward to one final Craig movie.
    For me Craig started of brilliantly and gradually his movies became less worthy of my time, with the Mendes years as an abysmal part of the series. At least Craig gets his farewell shot by a better director, something Brosnan was denied.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Taking a step back, can anyone explain why Bond movies are/have been produced seemingly in isolation rather than planning ahead? Is there any reason why plans for Bond 26 can't start now? @bondjames mentioned a "reimagination" which I think sums things up. Why wait another 2/3 years for this to start?
    Getafix wrote: »
    If only EON would improve their game with the next 007 actor, with Craig they dropped the ball in a major way.

eon have only dropped the ball once in terms of the lead actor and I'm not talking about Laz or Dalton either.

Craig has been a solid Bond. his first two performances were excellent. he became a different Bond with SF and SP and there was a definite drop in energy but he's still head and shoulders above his immediate predecessor

OK, you are of course right. Connery was a dope, but at least they were smart enough to hire Brosnan to safe the franchise in the 90s. Each and everyone of us should pray to the gods and thank them for it daily.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

OK, you are of course right. Connery was a dope, but at least they were smart enough to hire Brosnan to safe the franchise in the 90s. Each and everyone of us should pray to the gods and thank them for it daily.

Brosnan did more to "save Bond" than Craig ever has in my opinion. We need someone else like that to take over the role once Craig leaves.

I detect a taste of sarcasm in your voice.
    patb wrote: »
    Taking a step back, can anyone explain why Bond movies are/have been produced seemingly in isolation rather than planning ahead? Is there any reason why plans for Bond 26 can't start now? @bondjames mentioned a "reimagination" which I think sums things up. Why wait another 2/3 years for this to start?

I wish it could happen that way too. Especially considering how much is going to inevitably change and the fact we’re waiting this long for just one. Having some assurance that 26 with a new actor and whatnot is already being planned would be nice.
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2018 Posts: 10,512

Because EON is, relatively speaking, a small production company employing around 2% of the 1000-2000+ you’d find at Marvel or Lucasfilm.

They have plenty of ideas knocking around, but writers come and go, directors are considered, actors are considered, the process is always in flux - the idea floating everybody’s boat this week, might not 6 months down the line.

They’re not calling on narratives and characters grounded in a wealth of source material (Marvel) they have to build the film from the ground up - every time (with nearly 60 years of heritage on their shoulders).

You also have to consider the fact the sandbox is limited; Marvel and Lucasfilm can switch through genres and experiment, Bond can shift left and right, but it can’t all of a sudden become a buddy movie, or a coming of age tale, it can’t be laden with magic and fantasy, or be a sociopolitical commentary on diversity.

As for the process of working ahead, they considered it in the 90s and subsequently abandoned it.

And with the “reimagination” this will definitely have been considered already, I can say with some confidence they were weighing up plan B, prior to Craig committing to B25.

As I say they’re a small outfit and while they will have one eye on what’s next, their full commitment will be to B25.
    Even a small business should always be planning ahead. Two or three good guys in a room for a few days, coming back with some ideas for the direction/tone. You need some sought of vision to start working towards. Seems bonkers to start with a blank canvass after every movie when, at least some thought could have gone into initial ideas/planning. It's really what we are doing on this thread. It's not as though Bond 26 won't happen.
  • RC7RC7
    Even a small business should always be planning ahead. Two or three good guys in a room for a few days, coming back with some ideas for the direction/tone. You need some sought of vision to start working towards. Seems bonkers to start with a blank canvass after every movie when, at least some thought could have gone into initial ideas/planning. It's really what we are doing on this thread. It's not as though Bond 26 won't happen.

I just told you. They have and will continue to do this. Whether that sticks 2/3 years down the line is another matter, as I’ve outlined.
    RC7 wrote: »

I just told you. They have and will continue to do this. Whether that sticks 2/3 years down the line is another matter, as I’ve outlined.

No, they don’t. Otherwise things like the QoS situation and especially the last two script train wrecks couldn’t have happened.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

No, they don’t. Otherwise things like the QoS situation and especially the last two script train wrecks couldn’t have happened.

Cool story.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @patb, I quite agree. I don't expect anyone to have a long term plan of action regarding scripts, but a general narrative trajectory should have been in place at a high level with the Craig era particularly. Why? Well, because they deliberately attempted continuity with this iteration. When one decides to do that (misguidedly with this franchise imho), then one should at least have the bloody brains to think ahead just a little.

I just viewed QoS last night. The fact that Greene spouts "I told you everything you wanted to know about Quantum" is a disgrace. Surely they should have realized then that one day they may in fact get the rights back to Spectre. The fact that just a scant 7 years later we have a new name for the organization to confuse new viewers to the franchise is rather embarrassing and unnecessary. I saw SF a few days back too. If they wanted to make Silva a Spectre operative, then they should have at least kept it more vague during the earlier film, rather than so convincingly selling the revenge narrative only to pooh pooh it a mere 3 years later. All Broccoli had to do in this case during SP script development was veto Silva's involvement (using the Connery Goldfinger example) and told them to insert something re: the name change of the organization (or say it was a subsidiary) for the purpose of audience clarity.

Then, on top of all of this, they tease us with an 'ending' which suggests Craig is out and / or Blofeld will be back. Neither appears to be the case now. More confusion. Now we are hearing that it could be a completely different story, further splitting the core fanbase between those who wanted a YOLT adaptation (which was, again teased) and those who didn't. So we get the same actor back after a 4 (or 5) year gap, no continuation (even though one was teased) and we're supposed to accept it and move on.

So again, they are the ones who dug this hole for themselves. Nobody asked them to get cute with continuity narratives. Now it appears they want to click their fingers and move on from their own mess. Fine. Good. My view is they should go all the way, but once again they appear to disappoint.

My hope's alive still. Just.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,547
    @bondjames
    I entirely agree. I'm open to a "completely different story", but not after all the shenanigans of the previous film, tying it all up, supposedly, and leaving us thinking that this Bond won't be back.

Then again, Naomi Harris WASN'T going to be MP, Ralph Fiennes WASN'T going to be M, Waltz WASN'T going to be Blofeld, and CR WASN'T going to have any explosions. They say a lot. ;) I guess my hopes are still alive too.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm betting the farm that they will go the Logan route.
    Personally, I would love that but not sure how it would go down with the mainstream. Actually, in addition to the themes of Logan, in terms of plot, you had him protecting someone much younger and with similar powers. So, does the Logan route include our hero putting his final efforts into protecting the future (personified in a much younger character). There is more to the Logan route than just an old man
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @DarthDimi, there is still a strong possibility that they can blow us all away with the next one, no matter what they do with it. I know we all want that here, as life long fans.

It's just that there have been a lot of unforced errors, and I feel to a degree that the core fanbase is, and has been, split as a result of that. While it's of course difficult to please everybody all the time (and more so than ever these days), a bit better expectations management on the narrative side would have gone a long way towards that end imho, and would have certainly helped the Craig legacy.

Ultimately the continued passion and enthusiasm of the core fans is what keeps a franchise alive. Growing that core is key too. They are the 'sticky' ones and must never be taken for granted. The fairweathers come and go, as we saw after SF.