No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    =bg= wrote: »
    Surely this drivel is derived entirely from marketo007's pamphlet. Amazing how the news business works these days.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I quite like that metaphor too. And it makes sense.
    But we should ask ourselves--and I'm a Craig fan, mind: if we had gotten, say, three more Craig Bonds, for a total of 7 or 8, wouldn't many people (not me!) have lost interest in him? I could be mistaken of course.
    I get a strong feeling that it´s more the opposite. Many people feel that Craig is actively involved in the quality (for better and also for worse) and in the long gaps, which doesn´t make him more likeable. If he would have done Bond films on a regular basis he would be like Connery and Moore, with the difference that noone would have complained about his age, as people do now, and general audiences possibly will when Bond 25 comes out.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Surely this drivel is derived entirely from marketo007's pamphlet. Amazing how the news business works these days.

Now THAT is rich. Just goes to show how utterly lazy and incompetent "journalism" is these days.
    I can only assume we’ll get an event similar to the December 2014 one for SP, meaning we will have to wait a while longer for title, cast, etc. news. Distributor and director should get officially announced before then though.
    As an example, I don't think I would have been happy if Connery had done DN, FRWL, GF and DAF only. Or Moore LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, FYEO and AVTAK only. That's sort of what we have here with Craig.

Quite right.

I think one of the problems concerns money. Many people expect a lot of eye candy from the Bonds, expensive eye candy. In other words, anything below a production budget of 400 mil USD seems out of the question these days. Sad, but true. And if the film "only" makes 800 mil, it's not good. The pressure to cross that 1 billion USD line is so ridiculously high, I, as a producer, would be rather afraid when planning a new Bond film.
    You've hit the nail on the head. It does appear that it comes down to money and it's unfortunate. It's also ironic, because the most highly rated Bond films of the past 25 years have been the ones which were made on *relatively* small budgets. I'm thinking of GE & CR in particular but also SF which was made for quite a bit less than QoS or SP.

Sadly, this quest to generate bangs has resulted in some highly questionable CGI as well, which I'd rather not see again.

There are a few members here (including myself) who would much prefer a scaled back & grounded spy thriller for the next one. Given Boyle's stated preference for smaller budget films, perhaps there is hope that they will go in this direction. Even the Demange rumour suggested a lower budget entry.

If they kept them smaller and more manageable, then we could have faster output perhaps, due to less complexity.
    Probably also better quality. Less budget could mean they are more concerned about making a really good film, instead of which expensive thing to put in the film next.

I'M BEGGING YOU, please stop creating Bond 25 fanart until the movie is released! These fake news are giving me heart attacks!
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

And just when I was about to get excited sigh
    All will be forgvien if Bond 25 is the best Bond ever.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    As an example, I don't think I would have been happy if Connery had done DN, FRWL, GF and DAF only. Or Moore LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, FYEO and AVTAK only. That's sort of what we have here with Craig.

Quite right.

I think one of the problems concerns money. Many people expect a lot of eye candy from the Bonds, expensive eye candy. In other words, anything below a production budget of 400 mil USD seems out of the question these days. Sad, but true. And if the film "only" makes 800 mil, it's not good. The pressure to cross that 1 billion USD line is so ridiculously high, I, as a producer, would be rather afraid when planning a new Bond film.
    You've hit the nail on the head. It does appear that it comes down to money and it's unfortunate. It's also ironic, because the most highly rated Bond films of the past 25 years have been the ones which were made on *relatively* small budgets. I'm thinking of GE & CR in particular but also SF which was made for quite a bit less than QoS or SP.

Sadly, this quest to generate bangs has resulted in some highly questionable CGI as well, which I'd rather not see again.

There are a few members here (including myself) who would much prefer a scaled back & grounded spy thriller for the next one. Given Boyle's stated preference for smaller budget films, perhaps there is hope that they will go in this direction. Even the Demange rumour suggested a lower budget entry.

If they kept them smaller and more manageable, then we could have faster output perhaps, due to less complexity.
    Probably also better quality. Less budget could mean they are more concerned about making a really good film, instead of which expensive thing to put in the film next.
    I agree. If one doesn't have the record breaking explosion or CGI theatrics to hide behind it does focus one's mind on what's really important.
    boldfinger wrote: »

Quite right.

I agree. If one doesn't have the record breaking explosion or CGI theatrics to hide behind it does focus one's mind on what's really important.

If they cut down on the CGI and sawed that budget in half, or at least cut a good $100 million off what they've spent lately, it really would be a win/win for them.
    If may 11 turns out to be the true day of the official announcement I'm buying @marketto007 a drink
    If may 11 turns out to be the true day of the official announcement I'm buying @marketto007 a drink

Considering he admitted it was something he did for fun, it won't.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Well like they say you never know

Well...we do, though. It's a fact that we aren't getting the Bond 25 press conference in eight days.

Well...we do, though. It's a fact that we aren't getting the Bond 25 press conference in eight days.

Who said it was the press conference I'm just talking about the director and the distributor press release

Who said it was the press conference I'm just talking about the director and the distributor press release

My bad, thought it was initially for the press conference. Even still, don't see the title coming then, either. Will likely be saved for the press conference, though could be leaked beforehand like it was for the last two.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm asking with all facetiousness cleansed from my soul (the descriptions I gave about Kara last night helped me purge-- thank you @FoxRox):

Would the entire Craig era be as smashed as hard as it's getting smashed at the moment, if, say, the last film was more to the collective liking?

Because when we look at the entire era, we know that a lot of the hold ups were out of EoN's hands. In the end though, I think we have three, fairly strong outings, out of four.

The only "first" four films that better these ones, IMHO, is DN, FRWL, GF, TB.

I'd take Craig's first four over LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR, and also over GE, TND, TWINE and DAD.

(and that's not to say I don't like those other films-- I do, some I even love-- but if I had to take the first 4 films of each actor (who did 4 or more, obviously): Connery's (legendary); then Craig's (very solid output in a crowded and competitive environment), Moore's, Brosnan).

I love the former two, don't like the latter two, so if Bond 25 is at least "good," then the era will be a success for me.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    From my perspective there's no question that this era has been a success. It's a good era irrespective of B25. I still prefer Connery and Moore's output by far, but have no problems with this era. For me the highlights have been CR & SF. QoS and SP I don't necessarily care all that much for, but I can live with them if it ends here.

Is the era overall getting smashed? I don't see that here. Perhaps I'm misreading the mood.

I think there are some of us who want a film sooner. There are also others (and I count myself among those) who think this era has run its course, and are looking forward with interest to the next one. Just as I would have been looking forward to the next one in December 1970 (prior to DAF), in December 1984 (prior to AVTAK) and as I was in December 2002 (after DAD). So ultimately I think it's time for a change of approach. That's my view.
    Still can't get out of my head D.C. Doing 25 for the money
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Maybe I'm over-reading the mood @bondjames , but I get a sense of doom and gloom on here; that these past four films have been perceived as a failed exercise.

However, if SP was better received, generally, I'm wondering if this would still be the case? Of course we would have those impatient for the next one, but, if I was a stranger to this site-- and Bond in general-- reading this thread (especially recently) would make me believe we were in the death throes of this series.
    Well baz delivered all the scoops tonight and none of them about bond 25 go figure
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Since there really isn't any news let's say if this supposed female villain is in the film who would you like to see get cast? I have my money on kate winslet
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I can understand that @peter. I believe the frustrations are warranted, but they are not directed at the era imho. Rather they are directed at the delay and those responsible for it (whoever they may be). A lot of it is just venting.

Yes, if the last film were generally better received, I think there would be a bit more optimism here. After all, that was the case prior to SP's release. It's a bit of a moot discussion though, because SF ended on what seemed like a new beginning, whereas SP ended (either deliberately or unintentionally) on what seemed like an ending (at least for me).

Even if the last film was a runaway success among more members, I don't think it would be all hunky dory here, because of the longer wait, because of 'wrist slash' which affected some of us (joke or no joke, the unfettered media it received without any correction, retraction or clarification by EON for over a year was a big mistake imho), and because it's been a very long run for one actor (as per my example previously about how I would have felt at other ending stages of long standing actor runs).

No doubt the mood would be better though. Having said that, I think the mood would have been much better around here if they'd just got on with it and delivered B25 in 2017 too. So it's not entirely because SP was not liked by all, but also because they have delayed the followup for too long after a polarizing last entry. That was another mistake imho.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Unless he's Nick Cage and blown all his cash-- I just have to disagree with this, my friend.
    peter wrote: »

Unless he's Nick Cage and blown all his cash-- I just have to disagree with this, my friend.

To be fair, Craig confirmed that himself in an interview.

"If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money."
    That's another thing too actually. Credibility. After those rather detailed remarks he made in a few interviews about money and about not knowing what else he would do with the character and what not, him coming back just doesn't have the same aura.

It's the same thing in the workplace. If you get an offer from somewhere else and accept it then you'd better follow through even if your current employer counter offers. If you take the counter offer, credibility is lost.