No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 3,000
    It’s been since ‘02 that we had a good, classic formula-based Bond film (and no, melodramatic SP doesn’t count).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    This decade has to be the dullest of all the Bond decades to have been a fan. And that’s putting it mildly. I’m more invested in other films nowadays than I am in the Bond films. Hopefully, things go back on track one day.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    It’s been since ‘02 that we had a good, classic formula-based Bond film (and no, melodramatic SP doesn’t count).
    Only a few years more, BMW. Nothing can stop it now. The greatest return to formula in history.

And all attributed to natural causes.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Only a few years more, BMW. Nothing can stop it now. The greatest return to formula in history.

That’s funny!

Sadly though, I think people expecting a full return to the old formula will be disappointed. I imagine things getting worse after Craig rather than better - more melodrama and more PC-ness I fear. I fear people complaining how things are now may look back and say “we didn’t know how good we had it” with a worse Bond actor and really dumb, anti-Bond ideas. I’m VERY worried for the future of Bond AFTER Craig.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited April 2018 Posts: 6,721
    FoxRox wrote: »

That’s funny!

Sadly though, I think people expecting a full return to the old formula will be disappointed. I imagine things getting worse after Craig rather than better - more melodrama and more PC-ness I fear. I fear people complaining how things are now may look back and say “we didn’t know how good we had it” with a worse Bond actor and really dumb, anti-Bond ideas. I’m VERY worried for the future of Bond AFTER Craig.
    The PC-ness is potentially worrisome, but someone did point out the complaints we see about that sort of thing likely come from a vocal minority which may not really represent the opinion of the general public. I don't think EON will necessarily acquiesce to that sort of thing in any dramatic way; they may only appear to do so, like when Barbara Broccoli gives one of those PC non-answers regarding female or black Bonds. As for the tone of the next era, I think (and hope) it may go back to the older style. There are two reasons to believe that will happen, in my opinion. One is that mainstream films today are lightening up (or already have lightened up), and the other is that, even through the dramatic Craig era, we have still seen Bond portrayed in a traditional way in advertising (for example, the Heineken speedboat commercial). The point is that no matter what, there is this image of Bond and the Bond films being a certain way. The Craig era has certainly played with that but I don't see it replacing the old template.
    I think Babs last move is B25 & possibly consulting or having a say with whomever she sells the franchise to on the next actor.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I do hope you’re right.
    This decade has to be the dullest of all the Bond decades to have been a fan. And that’s putting it mildly. I’m more invested in other films nowadays than I am in the Bond films. Hopefully, things go back on track one day.

I agree. I find myself geeking out over Ready Player One far more than Bond right now. In fact I’ve already seen it twice in theaters, and I never watch a movie twice in theaters.
    Ready Player One was good, and better than SP. But I do prefer Craig’s first 3 to both of those.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Funny, I don’t remember a bond film coming out in 2002. Perhaps you mean TND, but that was released in 97.
    If you feel that way BMW, you can thank DAD for being why we haven’t gotten classic formula-based Bond.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    In my opinion, a full return to "formula" will work in a period piece, only. Otherwise James Bond will have to adjust - and he did in a very successful way. Also, wouldn't a period Bond movie become a bit like "Kingsman" ?
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,400
    I know I'm probably pissing in the wind, but it is Thursday and Baz updates his Daily Mail and Twitter posts at around 11pm. So it could be a few hours, but we may get some more Bond news tonight....
    https://twitter.com/BazBam

Meanwhile, Boyle's musical starts filming next week:
    http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/norfolk-and-suffolk-filming-to-start-for-danny-boyle-beatles-film-1-5490735

Also, Annapurna just tweeted this:

Could it be a hint?
    The sooner Boyle’s musical is wrapped up, the better for us.
    FoxRox wrote: »

That’s funny!

So am I, but mostly because he has made James Bond such a boring and pseudo intellectual affair to young people. It will take many years and lots of effort until they will associate James bond with fun and entertainment again.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Could it be a hint?
    I certainly hope not. I'd rather we get a traditional distributor rather than this outfit.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    In my opinion, a full return to "formula" will work in a period piece, only. Otherwise James Bond will have to adjust - and he did in a very successful way. Also, wouldn't a period Bond movie become a bit like "Kingsman" ?
    I don't think it needs to be a period piece. I just watched DN last night and quite frankly I don't see that film as especially dated in this regard. Miss Trench made the moves on Bond after all, and he was reasonably well behaved towards Honey. It's only Miss Taro who arguably was taken advantage of, but even then she was complicit in trying to kill Bond earlier and willfully succumbed to his charms (who wouldn't?).

At the end of the day, cast the right actor and you can get back to formula relatively easily with a decent script that doesn't overdo it and without insulting the man (a'la GE).
    CinemaCon has also come and gone with no MGM presentation. Fox are the last ones presenting today.
    nikos78 wrote: »
    CinemaCon has also come and gone with no MGM presentation. Fox are the last ones presenting today.
    It's perhaps unsurprising, particularly if 'CEO less' MGM is going to be swallowed by another entity within the next year.
    bondjames wrote: »

Could it be a hint?
    I certainly hope not. I'd rather we get a traditional distributor rather than this outfit.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I share your sentiments. I'm just not as enthused about Bond like I once was which is ironic seeing as the Craig era was supposed to get things back on track; but the series is now more "lost" than ever. When the producers/Studio get their act together and give us a Bond film to give a damn about Bond's just not a priority interest.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I share your sentiments. I'm just not as enthused about Bond like I once was which is ironic seeing as the Craig era was supposed to get things back on track; but the series is now more "lost" than ever. When the producers/Studio get their act together and give us a Bond film to give a damn about Bond's just not a priority interest.
    I couldn't agree more.
  • RC7RC7

People keep saying this, but post here daily. I don’t know how people have the time, with other interests taking priority.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »

People keep saying this, but post here daily. I don’t know how people have the time, with other interests taking priority.

I don't post here daily. Nowhere near as much as I used to and even then, most of my posts for quite sometime aren't even in Bond-related threads.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Isn’t Rachel supposed to be on Colbert tonight?

Yes, those who are the most disappointed and whatnot still find the time to fload the thread wigh their posts to not let anybody forget just how bad everything is. And those, who still enjoy Bond and look forward to whatever new experience 25 will be, dont post - because why should they? To get ridiculed? To get xplanations just how stupid they are? No thanks. Its indeed a poor time here, bit not due to Bond.
    Germanlady wrote: »

Yes, those who are the most disappointed and whatnot still find the time to fload the thread wigh their posts to not let anybody forget just how bad everything is. And those, who still enjoy Bond and look forward to whatever new experience 25 will be, dont post - because why should they? To get ridiculed? To get xplanations just how stupid they are? No thanks. Its indeed a poor time here, bit not due to Bond.

Well, now we're entering into an infinite regress of people posting about how other people have time to post . . .

Perhaps best to let this one lie.
    Oh, its not about that people take time to post in general, its about people, dho claim to have lost all interest and still can't help but post... and post....negatives, of Course. Everybody who dares not to walk that route are told to be fools.
    Why dont the naysayers take a break and wait for 26. silently..,

Don't give up hope chaps. Bond will be back. The longer this thing lags the more likely we'll get a killer film.

I know some (none more than myself) still hope for some big changes for the next one, but even if we don't get it this time we're much closer to a reset in that respect than not. Especially given news last week.

Eventually things will move in a different direction. It's just the way it goes. Business will drive this. Not past business (which didn't work out so well for everyone involved), but rather, future business. Some will be happy with the result, and others won't be. Whatever they end up doing, I hope I will like it at least.

Don't give up hope chaps. Bond will be back. The longer this thing lags the more likely we'll get a killer film.

I know some (none more than myself) still hope for some big changes for the next one, but even if we don't get it this time we're much closer to a reset in that respect than not. Especially given news last week.

Eventually things will move in a different direction. It's just the way it goes. Business will drive this. Not past business (which didn't work out so well for everyone involved), but rather, future business. Some will be happy with the result, and others won't be. Whatever they end up doing, I hope I will like it at least.

I might have missed it but what was the news last week,matey ?
    barryt007 wrote: »

Craig's impending kid @barryt007 . I don't see him doing B26 now, and I realize some held out hope for that previously.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Craig's impending kid @barryt007 . I don't see him doing B26 now, and I realize some held out hope for that previously.

Aaah THAT news..ok got it.