No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Is he scheduled to be on Colbert again?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Not that I'm aware of, but Rachel is on this Thursday.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 5,767
    bondjames wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    But for a Nolan trilogy you wouldn't need an actor for a decade.

Which assumes that not only would Nolan direct B26, but that he'd do a trilogy.

He did with Batman. I think people would expect it.
    I've mentioned this before, but the Dark Knight Trilogy was never intended as such. It came about piecemeal. I heard this from Zimmer when I saw him in concert last year. Part of his anecdotes between songs was how he started working with Nolan.

That might be so, but it doesn't change the fact that if Nolan got a hold of Bond, people would expect a trilogy after Batman. I don't think he would be allowed full creative control unless he was signed on for more than one.
    That doesn´t make much sense to me.

Have no idea why critics had their knives out for Red Sparrow. It's a solid, intelligent spy thriller. From what I remember a lot of the criticism was for the problematic sexual politics in the film.

Anyway, yeah would love to see JNH compose Bond 25.
    There were negative reviews? I must confess I only read one (and I think from that only the headline) before I decided to go see it. It spoke about something like a spy film for adults, which was exactly what I needed to hear.
    Problematic sexual politics is not a term I would use in context with the film. It´s a spy thriller about people using their attraction to manipulate certain individuals of the opposite sex. It´s astonishing there hasn´t been an intense debate in the media comparing it to Bond films.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TripAces wrote: »
    Am I right in saying Craig contract ran out after SP, necessitating a press release regarding his return. Maybe Brosnan never had it because of his contract at the time, that it was implicit. After all, they don't announce it after every Bond that said actor is returning, like between LALD and TMWTGG, if I am correct?

DC had an open contract, confirmed by MW a couple of years ago. In regards to official statements and whether or not DC is confirmed, there is a caveat to all of this: DC has a working relationship with Babs that is very strong, much stronger than what PB had— hence the open contract and the mutual respect. After all, DC did get an exec producer cred on SP. So DC’s statement about coming back is like the word of God.

Not quite because God can't be overruled, whereas there are other players involved in Bond 25 besides Barbara and Daniel.

Really? And who in the world would that be? The only person who will take DC out of Bond 25 is DC. Period, End of discussion.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Time to close this thread!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

DC isn't scheduled to be on any US chat shows this week, nor is Halle Berry.

Doesn't seem they're doing any promo for it at all.
    He will never give up on Turner and will jump on every opportunity to boost his chances. Oh well...he is Mendes...
    Red_Snow wrote: »

DC isn't scheduled to be on any US chat shows this week, nor is Halle Berry.

Doesn't seem they're doing any promo for it at all.

I wasn't even expecting them to; doubt the general audiences are even aware Kings exists.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007 and @PanchitoPistoles , just drop it. Enough with the intentional pushing of buttons and outright nastiness. Consider that a "friendly" warning.

@DaltonCraig007 called me a braindead moron. Can I respond to him without getting banned?
    If you wish to share personal jabs at one another, then have at it in PM's, but let's cool it with the useless bickering. It's the second time in just days an argument has started over absolutely nothing of essence.
    Just read about the new Netflix pilot "Treadstone". Perfect example of exploiting an existing brand. In previous threads, Bond fans pointed to Bourne as an example of a character based series that could not spread. But obviously Netflix have a another opinion.

Amazon, Netflix etc surely will be monitoring how well Treadstone does with a view to MI6?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/23/bourne-again-can-treadstone-work-without-jason-bourne#comments
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    Just read about the new Netflix pilot "Treadstone". Perfect example of exploiting an existing brand. In previous threads, Bond fans pointed to Bourne as an example of a character based series that could not spread. But obviously Netflix have a another opinion.

Amazon, Netflix etc surely will be monitoring how well Treadstone does with a view to MI6?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/23/bourne-again-can-treadstone-work-without-jason-bourne#comments
    Thanks for this. I agree that this is a plausible way forward.

I can appreciate however that EON may not want the brand overexposed or watered down, lest it impact the future marketability of Bond himself on the big screen.

In such a case it's still possible to exploit the spy genre in particular by for example leveraging MI6 in foreign countries and creating a sort of Spooks variant located offshore in a tv series targeted to foreign markets. In such a way, the concept is introduced and imprinted via an ongoing series which can even potentially help boost the viewing numbers for future Bond films.

Alternatively, as I'd proposed some pages back, one could insert a hypothetical charismatic and interesting character in a future Bond film (like Agent Coulson from Marvel in Avengers) and then spin him/her off into a future series without any link to Bond again. At the very most, Bond could appear on the other end of the line on a phone call which dovetails with a future Bond film. Think of Giannini's Mathis for instance. I'd watch a series based on his character set in Europe.

There are many ways to play this without diluting the Bond brand. It just requires some creativity and vision at the top.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    At the very most, Bond could appear on the other end of the line on a phone call which dovetails with a future Bond film. Think of Giannini's Mathis for instance. I'd watch a series based on his character set in Europe.

There are many ways to play this without diluting the Bond brand. It just requires some creativity and vision at the top.
    +1. I couldn't agree more. Well said. I'd definitely would've watched a TV series starring Giancarlo Giannini as Rene Mathis.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    octofinger wrote: »
    Isn't Cumberbatch still Strange? His contract is not up. If he is a Marvel employee I can't see him being cast in a Bond film.

I think there's been some speculation that Dr. Strange might die in Infinity War. All shots in the dark, at this point, but it's not completely impossible that Cumberbatch could be out from under his Marvel contract soon.

(Though with only 1 standalone film, plus appearances in Thor and Infinity War, I'd guess that Marvel want to get a bit more mileage out of him before they kill the character off.)

Strange isn't dying in IW. SD is working on the script for DS2. Also Batista who's in GoTg 1 and 2 and Infinity War; and will be in Avengers 4 and GoTg3 was in SP.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Also Batista who's in GoTg 1 and 2 and Infinity War; and will be in Avengers 4 and GoTg3 was in SP.
    That's true, but in heavy disguise. I should have clarified my earlier point, which more pertains to a character who is recognizable as someone big in a Bond film and vice versa in a Marvel film. I am speculating here, but I would think they would want to protect that 'facial appearance' which in turn is a form of brand IP. We do it for product contracts and for all intents and purposes the character is a 'product' these days, particularly with all the toys and other things which Disney sells.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Looking on the positive side, if there is a Bond film out next year, we should get announcements thick and fast soon. Just think how much we will know a year from now! Half way through production.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I don't think the Bond universe has the ready made palette of characters in the same way. who knows but I don't see the appeal
    Maybe they should make a show for kids. You know adventures of Jimmy and Franz...
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Maybe they should make a show for kids. You know adventures of Jimmy and Franz...

The Adventures of Wint and Kidd
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Children, today's lesson is:
    If at first you don't succeed, Mr. Kidd,
    Try and try again, Mr. Wint.

Up next: Mrs. Whistler's pictures of the Dutch canals!
    mattjoes wrote: »

Let's take it to Disney and pitch it. LOL
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

You know, for some reason, that scene actually flashed across my mind when I posted that! :))

You know, for some reason, that scene actually flashed across my mind when I posted that! :))
    It’s The Dutch Effect. :))
    This thread is so depressing with the current title.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    This thread is so depressing with the current title.
    Let's... not go there.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm starting to lose hope that we will ever get the old Bond back. I seems to me like they are happy to reinvent things with each film, and so long gaps in-between that they need reinventing again next time.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 11,425
    never give up hope.

Dalton is waiting in the wings
    I'm starting to lose hope that we will ever get the old Bond back. I seems to me like they are happy to reinvent things with each film, and so long gaps in-between that they need reinventing again next time.
    He'll be back. Eventually. If they get the right guy, Bond will be back.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Recent pictures of Rachel show a significant baby bump. She’s definitely showing so she must be in her second trimester, or fourth month give or take. Perhaps the baby will be due in September/October.