No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited April 2018 Posts: 4,619
    My point is Brosnan was, in fact, confirmed to do a 5th film, otherwise why was a November 2005 release announced in February 2004, less than a year before filming would start?
    Wrong. Brosnan was NEVER confirmed by EON to do a 5th Bond film. If you believe he was, post a link to EON's press release.

You are in denial
    You know what? If you are right, it's incredibly easy to prove me wrong. All you have to do is post a link to EON's offical statement announcing Brosnan doing a 5th Bond movie. I'm waiting.

Daniel Craig is returning to play 007 in Bond 25. The actor confirmed he would play James Bond for the fifth time to host Stephen Colbert on The Late Show last night.

I asked for an EON statement from EON themselves, not from Daniel Craig. Give me a press release where the Craig confirmation comes from EON, Babs or MGW without re-using Craig's answer in the Colbert interview.
    Have you gone completely mad?

Why don’t you just point out the faults in his reasoning
    I have. Go back and read my comments again.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,243
    It wouldn’t surprise me to see Nolan do a Bond trilogy, but it sounds like something the Community wouldn’t really want - at least if it’s a closely connected trilogy, with lots of dramatic themes/no standalone value. If he just happens to do 3 unconnected movies though it could be interesting, but I doubt it would happen that way. 3 is the last realistic number of Bond films for a Bond actor to do assuming Craig completes his fifth...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    But for a Nolan trilogy you wouldn't need an actor for a decade.

Which assumes that not only would Nolan direct B26, but that he'd do a trilogy.

He did with Batman. I think people would expect it.
    I've mentioned this before, but the Dark Knight Trilogy was never intended as such. It came about piecemeal. I heard this from Zimmer when I saw him in concert last year. Part of his anecdotes between songs was how he started working with Nolan.

That might be so, but it doesn't change the fact that if Nolan got a hold of Bond, people would expect a trilogy after Batman. I don't think he would be allowed full creative control unless he was signed on for more than one.
    That's possible. I think it's just as possible though that he may be given the mandate to reimagine and reposition Bond with one film.

Then they hand off to other directors for future entries, who play in the 'loose' sandbox that he has created. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a trilogy or even two films, even though it could eventually be just that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    But for a Nolan trilogy you wouldn't need an actor for a decade.

Which assumes that not only would Nolan direct B26, but that he'd do a trilogy.

He did with Batman. I think people would expect it.

Not seeing the correlation, they're two different series operating in different ways. The best we'd get is Nolan doing a Bond movie eventually; I don't foresee them signing him up to do a trilogy over 5-7 years, just to go back to the drawing board and recast for another new era.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Am I right in saying Craig contract ran out after SP, necessitating a press release regarding his return. Maybe Brosnan never had it because of his contract at the time, that it was implicit. After all, they don't announce it after every Bond that said actor is returning, like between LALD and TMWTGG, if I am correct?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,686
    And if you haven't understood yet that I am not disputing the fact that Craig is returning
    What you still haven't understood, son, is that what we are debating is not whether you are disputing the fact that Craig is returning or not. What we are debating is that the current situation is very different from the situation in 2004-2005. Brosnan was never officially confimed to do a 5th Bond film, but Craig is officially confirmed to do a 5th one.

Sorry, I don't talk to brain dead morons like you who have proven themselves to not be Bond fans in any way. And if you think calling me 'son' makes you feel all proud and powerful, (edit)?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is getting ridiculous.
    April fools'!!!!!1
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

But it is rather entertaining. :))
    So... to talk about something else, I would really fancy James Newton Howard doing the score now. His score for Red Sparrow was very good. Dunno how to post videos here though.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Am I right in saying Craig contract ran out after SP, necessitating a press release regarding his return. Maybe Brosnan never had it because of his contract at the time, that it was implicit. After all, they don't announce it after every Bond that said actor is returning, like between LALD and TMWTGG, if I am correct?

DC had an open contract, confirmed by MW a couple of years ago. In regards to official statements and whether or not DC is confirmed, there is a caveat to all of this: DC has a working relationship with Babs that is very strong, much stronger than what PB had— hence the open contract and the mutual respect. After all, DC did get an exec producer cred on SP. So DC’s statement about coming back is like the word of God.
    So... to talk about something else, I would really fancy James Newton Howard doing the score now. His score for Red Sparrow was very good. Dunno how to post videos here though.

You can simply copy/paste the link here, and provided it's a YouTube video, it'll embed automatically.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 7,971
    TripAces wrote: »

DC had an open contract, confirmed by MW a couple of years ago. In regards to official statements and whether or not DC is confirmed, there is a caveat to all of this: DC has a working relationship with Babs that is very strong, much stronger than what PB had— hence the open contract and the mutual respect. After all, DC did get an exec producer cred on SP. So DC’s statement about coming back is like the word of God.

Not quite because God can't be overruled, whereas there are other players involved in Bond 25 besides Barbara and Daniel.

You can simply copy/paste the link here, and provided it's a YouTube video, it'll embed automatically.
    Thanks.

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Like @jake24 argued, he & Rachel HAD to have known they were expecting when they were at the charity event a couple weeks back. He said that Bond would be his next project. I hope he still goes through with it. I wonder when the baby will arrive.
    Isn't Cumberbatch still Strange? His contract is not up. If he is a Marvel employee I can't see him being cast in a Bond film.

I think there's been some speculation that Dr. Strange might die in Infinity War. All shots in the dark, at this point, but it's not completely impossible that Cumberbatch could be out from under his Marvel contract soon.

(Though with only 1 standalone film, plus appearances in Thor and Infinity War, I'd guess that Marvel want to get a bit more mileage out of him before they kill the character off.)
    Oh so Red Sparrow´s soundtrack is all JNH? That´s overwhelmingly splendid! I wasn´t sure if parts of the above track weren´t from some opera, it sounds so much like one. My deepest respect for JNH, I want him for the next four or five Bond films, please!
    I'm quite liking that JNH bit from Red Sparrow. I could get behind him for composer in the future - hell, just about anyone that isn't Newman. Still need to see Red Sparrow, don't believe it's released on blu-ray/digital just yet, though.
    Have no idea why critics had their knives out for Red Sparrow. It's a solid, intelligent spy thriller. From what I remember a lot of the criticism was for the problematic sexual politics in the film.

Anyway, yeah would love to see JNH compose Bond 25.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Like @jake24 argued, he & Rachel HAD to have known they were expecting when they were at the charity event a couple weeks back. He said that Bond would be his next project. I hope he still goes through with it. I wonder when the baby will arrive.

Generally speaking, 48-year-old women don't unexpectedly fall pregnant. In all likelihood they'll have been working actively with a fertility clinic will have had the B25 schedule in mind at the time. This is all getting way outside our ballpark, but in short, I don't think Daniel has been caught unawares by this pregnancy and has likely been planning his work schedule accordingly.

Still, stuff happens - if the Rachel has complications or the child needs extra care or some such ... his priorities would shift in a flash.
    I think B25 will be delayed until after the child is born, and ready to start kindergarten.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I think B25 will be delayed until after the child is born, and ready to start kindergarten.

It's possible.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is this the first time an actor becomes a parent?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think Jason Connery was born around FRWL?....
    Didn't he buy a place in New York recently? He's been spending quite a bit of time there lately, as though it's going to be home base for something post-Bond. Purity perhaps?
    There we have it. Bond 25 title confirmed as 007 IN NEW YORK.
    I think Pierce had a kid around the time of TND. I could be wrong, though.
    That's crazy. We're talking four years from now.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883

Thanks.

I agree. I had recommended Newton Howard in the 'score' thread after seeing this film. His work grabbed me from the opening scene.
    Have no idea why critics had their knives out for Red Sparrow. It's a solid, intelligent spy thriller. From what I remember a lot of the criticism was for the problematic sexual politics in the film.
    Idiots letting their politics interfere with a good film. Shame this kind of behaviour is becoming rampant these days. This is a spy genre film. Such a profession is not meant to be politically correct. It's a dirty business. Hopefully the Bond people keep that in mind when they eventually reboot (whenever that's going to be).
    octofinger wrote: »
    Isn't Cumberbatch still Strange? His contract is not up. If he is a Marvel employee I can't see him being cast in a Bond film.

I think there's been some speculation that Dr. Strange might die in Infinity War. All shots in the dark, at this point, but it's not completely impossible that Cumberbatch could be out from under his Marvel contract soon.

(Though with only 1 standalone film, plus appearances in Thor and Infinity War, I'd guess that Marvel want to get a bit more mileage out of him before they kill the character off.)
    I wasn't aware he was going to be dispatched in IW. I know that RDJ, Hiddleston, Hemsworth and possibly Evans might be out but I thought Cumberbatch had a few more in him, and at the very least a Dr. Strange sequel.
    Strog wrote: »
    Didn't he buy a place in New York recently? He's been spending quite a bit of time there lately, as though it's going to be home base for something post-Bond. Purity perhaps?
    There we have it. Bond 25 title confirmed as 007 IN NEW YORK.
    Haha. That could work actually. I know it's a beloved title among some but quite frankly after the last one I'd prefer something with a little more mystery to it.
    That's crazy. We're talking four years from now.

I was kidding, actually. I don't doubt Craig has his schedule for Bond all worked out. His child's birth I don't think will affect B25.
    Regarding Craig and his impending kid: We'll know more when (if) he does promotion for Kings. I hope he is more forthcoming with information than he was on Colbert and since.

At the very least, I hope some interviewers have the brains to ask pertinent questions, and that he in turn openly and honestly discusses what is not known, like he did on the radio interviews (when he contradicted himself) on the morning of the Colbert interview.