No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    This decade has to be the dullest of all the Bond decades to have been a fan. And that’s putting it mildly. I’m more invested in other films nowadays than I am in the Bond films. Hopefully, things go back on track one day.

I share your sentiments. I'm just not as enthused about Bond like I once was which is ironic seeing as the Craig era was supposed to get things back on track; but the series is now more "lost" than ever. When the producers/Studio get their act together and give us a Bond film to give a damn about Bond's just not a priority interest.
    Don't give up hope chaps. Bond will be back. The longer this thing lags the more likely we'll get a killer film.

I know some (none more than myself) still hope for some big changes for the next one, but even if we don't get it this time we're much closer to a reset in that respect than not. Especially given news last week.

Eventually things will move in a different direction. It's just the way it goes. Business will drive this. Not past business (which didn't work out so well for everyone involved), but rather, future business. Some will be happy with the result, and others won't be. Whatever they end up doing, I hope I will like it at least.

I might have missed it but what was the news last week,matey ?
    Craig's impending kid @barryt007 . I don't see him doing B26 now, and I realize some held out hope for that previously.

Aaah THAT news..ok got it.
    Babs is finally going to have to cut that cord.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    This decade has to be the dullest of all the Bond decades to have been a fan. And that’s putting it mildly. I’m more invested in other films nowadays than I am in the Bond films. Hopefully, things go back on track one day.

I share your sentiments. I'm just not as enthused about Bond like I once was which is ironic seeing as the Craig era was supposed to get things back on track; but the series is now more "lost" than ever. When the producers/Studio get their act together and give us a Bond film to give a damn about Bond's just not a priority interest.
    Don't give up hope chaps. Bond will be back. The longer this thing lags the more likely we'll get a killer film.

I know some (none more than myself) still hope for some big changes for the next one, but even if we don't get it this time we're much closer to a reset in that respect than not. Especially given news last week.

Eventually things will move in a different direction. It's just the way it goes. Business will drive this. Not past business (which didn't work out so well for everyone involved), but rather, future business. Some will be happy with the result, and others won't be. Whatever they end up doing, I hope I will like it at least.

I might have missed it but what was the news last week,matey ?
    Craig's impending kid @barryt007 . I don't see him doing B26 now, and I realize some held out hope for that previously.

Aaah THAT news..ok got it.
    Babs is finally going to have to cut that cord.

"Who is she,your mother ?"
    "She likes to think so."
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What we have to remember is just how much time has past since the last Bond actor left the role. By the time the next Bond is cast it will be 20 years from Brosnan until Bond actor 7. That's the same time from TSWLM until TND! Think how much change happened within that span. I thought there was still time to get one more strong era in before the forces of political correctness and the rise of completely CGI scenes taking any genuine excitement for a Bond film away. The longer it gets dragged out the more likely it is that when it comes back PC culture, Metoo, the overseas influence etc. Will mean that Bond will be more watered down than it already is. Fans of the first 20 entries will not be the target audience anymore. I'm starting to think all the great Bond films have already been made, and although the series will continue, it will bare no resemblance to what made it popular to begin with.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    What we have to remember is just how much time has past since the last Bond actor left the role. By the time the next Bond is cast it will be 20 years from Brosnan until Bond actor 7. That's the same time from TSWLM until TND! Think how much change happened within that span. I thought there was still time to get one more strong era in before the forces of political correctness and the rise of completely CGI scenes taking any genuine excitement for a Bond film away. The longer it gets dragged out the more likely it is that when it comes back PC culture, Metoo, the overseas influence etc. Will mean that Bond will be more watered down than it already is. Fans of the first 20 entries will not be the target audience anymore. I'm starting to think all the great Bond films have already been made, and although the series will continue, it will bare no resemblance to what made it popular to begin with.
    While you could be correct, especially with weak leadership at the helm, I hope you're wrong. Bond was and has been counterculture (or on the cutting edge of change) at it's best and particularly in the 60s (and even the 70s, when it was very different from films of the day). That's what they should tap into. Where there could be an issue is with the youth of today. Those of the past were rebellious and embraced freedom. Increasingly, I see the youth of today harassing freedom when it doesn't align with their short sighted views. You can even see it on university campuses That's a concern to me. Freedom of thought and opinion is fundamental to a democracy, even when we don't agree with it.

--

EDIT: Ms. Weisz on ABC this morning. Not a word about Bond (probably by agreement).
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/video/rachel-weisz-compares-romance-drama-shape-water-54708685
    edited April 2018 Posts: 7,969
    While you could be correct, especially with weak leadership at the helm, I hope you're wrong. Bond was and has been counterculture (or on the cutting edge of change) at it's best and particularly in the 60s (and even the 70s, when it was very different from films of the day). That's what they should tap into.

I agree that is what they should tap into, but it will take another cultural Revolution to get there, I think. What studio do we know currently which hasn't embraced PC culture with open arms. This has all come about since Craig was cast, and everyone in Hollywood is now lining up in uniformity to preach from the same hymn sheet! Unless there is a freedom movement on the horizon, like in the 60's, I see thinks as very bleak. Whatever person or entity takes on the franchise in future will be treading on eggshells from day one. That is not even considering the advancement of technology, and the bigwigs pressuring to do everything in a computer to save money. And not even adding to that the need to make everything understandable for a Chinese audience.

Even if they breaking back the formula and make a straight adventure like we're clamouring for, it's likely that it won't be recognisable as real Bond. I think the Craig tenure was the last chance to make that happen, personally.
    While you could be correct, especially with weak leadership at the helm, I hope you're wrong. Bond was and has been counterculture (or on the cutting edge of change) at it's best and particularly in the 60s (and even the 70s, when it was very different from films of the day). That's what they should tap into.

I agree that is what they should tap into, but it will take another cultural Revolution to get there, I think. What studio do we know currently which has embraced PC culture with open arms. This has all come about since Craig was cast, and everyone in Hollywood is now lining up in uniformity to preach from the same hymn sheet! Unless there is a freedom movement on the horizon, like in the 60's, I see thinks as very bleak. Whatever person or entity takes on the franchise in future will be treading on eggshells from day one. That is not even considering the advancement of technology, and the bigwigs pressuring to do everything in a computer to save money. And not even adding to that the need to make everything understandable for a Chinese audience.

Even if they breaking back the formula and make a straight adventure like we're clamouring for, it's likely that it won't be recognisable as real Bond. I think the Craig tenure was the last chance to make that happen, personally.
    Good points. The pressure to 'conform' is stronger than ever in my view. It's rather sad.

I still believe that with the right actor one can embody the essence of Bond, including his not so savoury attributes, without being so explicit. As I noted earlier, I watched DN yesterday and it's a film that can hold up even today in many respects (apart from fetch my shoes and what not). Much of that is due to Connery. He projected his masculinity without needing to be overt about it. Moore did something similar, but with a bit more disarming charm.

It's all in the writing and in the acting, or rather, the personification.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    What is “real Bond”?

You will get many answers to that question. To some it is Fleming’s version, to others it is Moore’s. They couldn’t be more different.
    What is “real Bond”?

You will get many answers to that question. To some it is Fleming’s version, to others it is Moore’s. They couldn’t be more different.
    Precisely. That is why, imho, it is essential to shake it all up from time to time. In that way, all manner of fans are satisfied and satiated.
    True- we are very lucky to have 24 (mostly) good films to choose from, which cater to different tastes.
  • kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    I agree that is what they should tap into, but it will take another cultural Revolution to get there, I think. What studio do we know currently which has embraced PC culture with open arms. This has all come about since Craig was cast, and everyone in Hollywood is now lining up in uniformity to preach from the same hymn sheet! Unless there is a freedom movement on the horizon, like in the 60's, I see thinks as very bleak. Whatever person or entity takes on the franchise in future will be treading on eggshells from day one. That is not even considering the advancement of technology, and the bigwigs pressuring to do everything in a computer to save money. And not even adding to that the need to make everything understandable for a Chinese audience.

Even if they breaking back the formula and make a straight adventure like we're clamouring for, it's likely that it won't be recognisable as real Bond. I think the Craig tenure was the last chance to make that happen, personally. [/quote]Good points. The pressure to 'conform' is stronger than ever in my view. It's rather sad.

I still believe that with the right actor one can embody the essence of Bond, including his not so savoury attributes, without being so explicit. As I noted earlier, I watched DN yesterday and it's a film that can hold up even today in many respects (apart from fetch my shoes and what not). Much of that is due to Connery. He projected his masculinity without needing to be overt about it. Moore did something similar, but with a bit more disarming charm.

It's all in the writing and in the acting, or rather, the personification.[/quote]

I agree. I believe that it is going to be much tougher now to portray anything without a twitter revolt. I believe they have done a good job the last few movies showing Bond's manliness without causing offense, but it still makes me nervous that he is going to be extra sensitive.
    Not every movie has to be a reflection on what is happening in the real world...Movies are movies for a reason!!!!
    What is “real Bond”?

But they also share a lot in common.
    What is “real Bond”?

Not that much:-)

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    What is “real Bond”?

Not that much:-)
    Despite one of them being hard-boiled and somewhat humourless, and the other being charming and gentlemanly, they're not too different when both mean serious business.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Isn’t Rachel supposed to be on Colbert tonight?

Yes, and she will be in conversation with him at the Montclair Film Festival on Saturday. I've friends attending, I asked them to let me know if she mentions Bond at all, or if DC is there.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    What is “real Bond”?

Bond is as it always should be, a reflection of true manlihood, what it means to be a man, to be testosterone fueled, to be classy, to be the man every man wishes they were and everyone woman wishes they were with.

That’s all Bond is.
    What is “real Bond”?

Bond is as it always should be, a reflection of true manlihood, what it means to be a man, to be testosterone fueled, to be classy, to be the man every man wishes they were and everyone woman wishes they were with.

That’s all Bond is.
    Well put!
    What is “real Bond”?

That’s all Bond is.

Yes!
    What is “real Bond”?

That’s all Bond is.

Yes!
    It's quite true. The definition of that changes with the times however, and also with the actor and his (thankfully still 'his') sensibilities.

Imho, given the times we live in presently, a softer touch may be required, rather than a brute. That's why, much as I like Hardy, I recognize he may not be the right man for the job. Craig is already reflective of the past too, again imho.
    What is “real Bond”?

That’s all Bond is.

Yes!
    It's quite true. The definition of that changes with the times however, and also with the actor and his (thankfully still 'his') sensibilities.

Imho, given the times we live in presently, a softer touch may be required, rather than a brute. That's why, much as I like Hardy, I recognize he may not be the right man for the job. Craig is already reflective of the past too, again imho.

That's interesting. So when you say softer touch, you mean someone in the vein of Moore?
    What is “real Bond”?

That’s all Bond is.

Yes!

That's interesting. So when you say softer touch, you mean someone in the vein of Moore?
    Moore, Brosnan or even early Connery. I never saw Connery as being this thug. Sure, he was masculine, but he had a lightness of touch in his humour that flowed readily outwards in all of his films. Of course, there are situations like his dealings with Pussy, slapping Tiffany and so on, but if one removes that he conveyed a certain playfulness, and it came naturally. That is what is required now imho. Someone who can readily and easily convey that. Disarm the opposite sex and they won't protest too much imho. It's a delicate balance.

It's a matter of finesse in this sensitive climate.
    I'm starting to think all the great Bond films have already been made,

You forgot that the next two Bond movies will be directed by Boyle and Nolan. The true Bond Renaissance is still ahead of us.

Regarding PC-ness, I think worst case scenario is that Bond is affected by it but bounces back eventually. There is bound to be an era of counterreaction to the PC/SJW one, as its legitimate ideas are absorbed into the mainstream and those that were incorrect or overreactionary are discarded.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

You forgot that the next two Bond movies will be directed by Boyle and Nolan. The true Bond Renaissance is still ahead of us.

How come your so sure nolan will direct bond 26? I would love to see that happen but you make it sound like fact it's going to happen
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,372

How come your so sure nolan will direct bond 26? I would love to see that happen but you make it sound like fact it's going to happen

It's definitely not fact. Possible, but not fact at this point.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's definitely not fact. Possible, but not fact at this point.

Cause with nolan's comments about wanting to take over with a new actor and the fact that bond 25 will be craig's last then it's likely that nolan will take over the reins with bond 26 anyway does anybody think that annapurna is teasing us with their latest bondian photo on Instagram?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,756
    What is “real Bond”?

That’s all Bond is.

Not really though. Fleming's version of Bond is a troubled, flawed, off-beat person atypical of the general man of his time; Who can use his psychopathic traits to manipulate people, out wit his opponents, but can also take things head on with brute force.

That's what makes him so deadly. He's smart and physically in touch with his body.
    What is “real Bond”?

That’s all Bond is.

Not really though. Fleming's version of Bond is a troubled, flawed, off-beat person atypical of the general man of his time; Who can use his psychopathic traits to manipulate people, out wit his opponents, but can also take things head on with brute force.

That's what makes him so deadly. He's smart and physically in touch with his body.
    On Fleming's Bond, you're correct. But, what Bond has become thanks to the Eon Productions film series, JamesBondKenya wasn't wrong about.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I never saw Fleming s Bond as a psychopath.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I never saw Fleming s Bond as a psychopath.
    I don't think he was a psychopath. Just troubled... but that sort of would make one a version of psychopath (?). Depends on how one interprets it. But, I can say he's softer than let's just say Connery's Bond or Lazenby's Bond.
    What's the likely chance that baz will tweet that annapurna will distribute bond 25?