No Time To Die: Production Diary

18548558578598602585

Comments

  • Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to walk back on the beginning of august announcement. I am now hearing end of August/ beginning of September. I am hearing something going on about shooting back to back?
    So they're going to leave Craig out hanging while doing LL interviews? I can't see that personally. He's going to have to say something about it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm curious to see if this really is a 'one picture' distribution deal as was rumoured in April.

    If so, we are in for an interesting film, which could mark a transition to a new vision. Or it could in fact be phase 1 of that new vision - with MGM planning to distribute B26 on its own.

    Or it could simply be a continuation of the Craig universe as established in 2006. But this time around a much better film than SP. Sounds too.....traditional to me? Why not. Being cinematically a staunch conservative as opposed to all these reboot addicts in Hollywood ☺️
    Even if it's a continuation film, it will have to transition to something as Craig isn't getting any younger and eventually there will be a new man. They have to at least set it up for him if Craig is back for one more.

    Well @BondJames. Tom Cruise is even older than Craig. I always like to make that comparison. But it's a valid one. Craig is older, yes. But to write him off at this age, would be spitting in the faces of other actors loving to return.....Hugh Jackman, Tom Cruise, Colin Firth, Robert Downey Jr.. So come on, let Craig become part of that 'gang of oldies' please ☺️.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    Posts: 202
    The road to Bond 25 hastarts started! I often enjoy the anticipation as much if not more than the finished film so I look forward to 2 years of news and speculation!

    I'm hoping that lessons will have been learned from Spectre and that Bond 25 is a bit leaner and trying less to be an 'event.'

    I'd just like it to be a damn good spy adventure.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 365
    Speculation - BB was keen on DC but he felt he'd run his race with SP. A proud man with a keen sense of quality, he felt he'd let the team down and knew he'd been painted into a corner by his arc.

    Then comes Logan Lucky, a liberating experience for him and one that made him feel like an actor again. An actor who can exist outside of Bond. No more arduous promotion circuits tied to the massive leviathan that is Bond.

    LL might well have sealed his ultimate decision. BB gives him time, but he eventually realizes he has nothing to give a fifth Bond movie.

    So the decision has been made with no replacement in sight. In order to stay connected with fans/stakeholders/business partners, EON issues a release date with a distributor locked in and the writers well advanced on a script they will now modify for a new era. Enough time is allowed to create a strong first showing and undertake a rigorous casting process.

    I don't think DC is coming back.
  • Posts: 1,678
    they finally gave it up 2019 it is. They clearly have a first draft & know who's starring and directing.
  • Posts: 169
    Mcuigan seems the only name in town for director which I can live with - he's a solid journeyman in the grand tradition of Hunt, Glen and Campbell.

    Wouldn't be against him. Quite liked Lucky Number Slevin, and the Sherlock-episodes he directed are solid. Could that make way for Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat writing the screenplay?

    Moffat & Gatiss are writing BBC's Dracula. Shame. Gatiss is a huge Bond fan. Maybe another time?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to walk back on the beginning of august announcement. I am now hearing end of August/ beginning of September. I am hearing something going on about shooting back to back?
    So they're going to leave Craig out hanging while doing LL interviews? I can't see that personally. He's going to have to say something about it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm curious to see if this really is a 'one picture' distribution deal as was rumoured in April.

    If so, we are in for an interesting film, which could mark a transition to a new vision. Or it could in fact be phase 1 of that new vision - with MGM planning to distribute B26 on its own.

    Or it could simply be a continuation of the Craig universe as established in 2006. But this time around a much better film than SP. Sounds too.....traditional to me? Why not. Being cinematically a staunch conservative as opposed to all these reboot addicts in Hollywood ☺️
    Even if it's a continuation film, it will have to transition to something as Craig isn't getting any younger and eventually there will be a new man. They have to at least set it up for him if Craig is back for one more.

    Well @BondJames. Tom Cruise is even older than Craig. I always like to make that comparison. But it's a valid one. Craig is older, yes. But to write him off at this age, would be spitting in the faces of other actors loving to return.....Hugh Jackman, Tom Cruise, Colin Firth, Robert Downey Jr.. So come on, let Craig become part of that 'gang of oldies' please ☺️.
    Perhaps you're missing my point. If he's back for B25, then there will be someone new for the anniversary film B26 (unless we seriously expect him to return for one last hurrah at 54 in 2022). So, assuming B25 is his last, they will have to transition his Bond arc so that a new man could readily pick up the baton for the next film. I thought they did that (somewhat sloppily perhaps) with the ending of SP. It's open ended and we can go forward in any direction now. I'm curious to see what they do.

    Regarding Craig's age, he has not shown any inclination outside of Bond to be an 'action star' and so I don't see him in the same light as I do the others that you mentioned (Firth is more 'old school' mentor than fit action type).
  • Posts: 32
    Finally some news. Hope Daniel Craig does return as I think he is an exceptional Bond. I bloody loved Spectre, and would love a continuation, Blofeld would be a great film title.
  • Posts: 169
    They don't need to announce that Craig is back...yet.

    It's widely expected he'll be back and there's no reason to suggest EON would replace him.

    I think the real reason they've not confirmed Craig's return is to build a bit of excitment before the reveal.
  • Posts: 11,119
    Yes, but that's Craig's confirmed 'love' for Bond as well. Outside Bond he wants to engage into some serious acting, both movies and plays. But he does like the character Bond as well, apart from some misquoting by the media.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Posts: 1,187
    SonofSean wrote: »
    They don't need to announce that Craig is back...yet.

    It's widely expected he'll be back and there's no reason to suggest EON would replace him.

    I think the real reason they've not confirmed Craig's return is to build a bit of excitment before the reveal.
    Your bang on...

  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,619
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I don't think DC is coming back.

    Why not call Nolan to write & direct then? The producers KNOW he would LOVE to helm one, and they KNOW he would want to direct the first one of a new era. If they are starting a new era with Bond 25 WITHOUT Nolan, I am officially joining the Barbara Broccoli hateclub.
  • Posts: 2
    I think Daniel will be back. With Skyfall and SPECTRE he cleared his diary for a substantial time beyond prep/filming so he could have an active role in development / story etc, albeit with Sam Mendes. End of 2019 allows him to have this and next year on outside projects. If it proves his final Bond, he will want, again, a substantial role in development of the picture and the time necessary.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe "I need a year off" Craig
    Posts: 7,293
    Robcraine wrote: »
    I think Daniel will be back. With Skyfall and SPECTRE he cleared his diary for a substantial time beyond prep/filming so he could have an active role in development / story etc, albeit with Sam Mendes. End of 2019 allows him to have this and next year on outside projects. If it proves his final Bond, he will want, again, a substantial role in development of the picture and the time necessary.

    Welcome to the forum!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I don't think DC is coming back.

    Why not call Nolan to write & direct then? The producers KNOW he would LOVE to helm one, and they KNOW he would want to direct the first one of a new era. If they are starting a new era with Bond 25 WITHOUT Nolan, I am officially joining the Barbara Broccoli hateclub.
    Perhaps it has something to do with the distributor?
  • Posts: 1,129
    another four years between films. how disappointing.
  • Posts: 1,678
    It better be worth the wait.
  • Posts: 189
    I don't think they'd announce a date right away unless they were confident Craig was returning. Or if the announcement of a new Bond is imminent. But even then, it seems like they would have waited to announce the release date and the new actor simultaneously to get the biggest possible news splash.

    When Nolan addressed the discussions he had about directing Spectre he seemed to indicate that he didn't want to do it due to the story already being set in the midst of CraigBond's arc. I think he'd only do it if there was a new actor and he had the opportunity to really do his own thing with it as opposed to being bound to Craig's portrayal.

    I could see Soderbergh doing a Bond film, since he was mentioned. He's willing to do commercial stuff and his glossy style seems like it would fit well.
  • Posts: 5,767
    @QuantumOrganization-- you're seriously hearing rumbles of back-to-back? If that's the case, then it's gotta be the Blofeld Trilogy.

    That'd be crazy/ambitious.
  • Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I don't think DC is coming back.

    Why not call Nolan to write & direct then? The producers KNOW he would LOVE to helm one, and they KNOW he would want to direct the first one of a new era. If they are starting a new era with Bond 25 WITHOUT Nolan, I am officially joining the Barbara Broccoli hateclub.
    Perhaps it has something to do with the distributor?

    Yeah, another good question. This could be the reason why we have to wait for more definite casting decisions.
  • Posts: 1,678
    I think Nolan was asked to direct B25 & he turned it down. EON wanted him badly IMO. He is guranteed a billion. the hype would be unreal.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Posts: 2,989
    FINALLY SOME ACTUAL FRIGGIN NEWS! I'm so excited!
  • Posts: 12,372
    For the sake of variety we finally got some good news!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    Rack up another scoop proved correct for Bamigboye. Purvis & Wade's return was confirmed in the announcement.

    *sighs* That's quite the dampener.
  • Posts: 684
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Rack up another scoop proved correct for Bamigboye. Purvis & Wade's return was confirmed in the announcement.

    *sighs* That's quite the dampener.

    For them to bring anything fresh at this point will be quite the challenge.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 5,967
    Strog wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Rack up another scoop proved correct for Bamigboye. Purvis & Wade's return was confirmed in the announcement.

    *sighs* That's quite the dampener.

    For them to bring anything fresh at this point will be quite the challenge.
    At some point someone will be tapped for a re-write.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,036
    I'm sure Jez Butterworth will be brought in at some point.
  • Posts: 1,678
    Is Mendes a possibility,
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 684
    @talos7 I suppose. Not since DAD have they been left to go it alone (reasonably). Nevertheless, that'll mark four films now as co-writers who have at least had a seat at the table, and six overall. Would've been interesting to see how a new picture might develop without any of their input.

    Still, we shall see.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,488
    Fantastic news indeed. The fact that they have a release date locked leads me to believe that Craig has signed on.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    talos7 wrote: »
    Strog wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Rack up another scoop proved correct for Bamigboye. Purvis & Wade's return was confirmed in the announcement.

    *sighs* That's quite the dampener.

    For them to bring anything fresh at this point will be quite the challenge.
    At some point someone will be tapped for a re-write.

    Which begs the question why EON don't just do a better job in looking for better writers from the off and digging deep into their pockets to pay for quality; instead of going back to the same, tired and rather unimpressive well of subpar creativity.
Sign In or Register to comment.