No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm gonna have to walk back on the beginning of august announcement. I am now hearing end of August/ beginning of September. I am hearing something going on about shooting back to back?
    So they're going to leave Craig out hanging while doing LL interviews? I can't see that personally. He's going to have to say something about it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm curious to see if this really is a 'one picture' distribution deal as was rumoured in April.

If so, we are in for an interesting film, which could mark a transition to a new vision. Or it could in fact be phase 1 of that new vision - with MGM planning to distribute B26 on its own.

Or it could simply be a continuation of the Craig universe as established in 2006. But this time around a much better film than SP. Sounds too.....traditional to me? Why not. Being cinematically a staunch conservative as opposed to all these reboot addicts in Hollywood ☺️
    Even if it's a continuation film, it will have to transition to something as Craig isn't getting any younger and eventually there will be a new man. They have to at least set it up for him if Craig is back for one more.
    Well it could be that Craig is coming back, or... Dalton's schedule is looking pretty clear the first half of 2019...

Can't be coincidence, surely?
  • Thank goodness for Lucky Logan too. All the press rounds Craig will have to be doing may actually have pushed them to release this news when they are.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    gt007 wrote: »
    If that's true and Craig's not coming back, EON must have at least started the search for the new Bond. And that thought is really exciting!

Exciting? No, it's an awful thought. It would mean no Nolan for at least another decade.

I'm not sure I'd like Nolan to do Bond, at least not in the near future. So I'm fine with that.
    Thank goodness for Lucky Logan too. All the press rounds Craig will have to be doing may actually have pushed them to release this news when they are.
    Precisely.
    Knew it would be Nov 2019. So filming will start about 12 months from now! Just need casting info and who's helming, but 100000000% certain CRAIG will be BACK!
    I'm gonna have to walk back on the beginning of august announcement. I am now hearing end of August/ beginning of September. I am hearing something going on about shooting back to back?
    So they're going to leave Craig out hanging while doing LL interviews? I can't see that personally. He's going to have to say something about it.
    I'm curious to see if this really is a 'one picture' distribution deal as was rumoured in April.

If so, we are in for an interesting film, which could mark a transition to a new vision. Or it could in fact be phase 1 of that new vision - with MGM planning to distribute B26 on its own.

Or it could simply be a continuation of the Craig universe as established in 2006. But this time around a much better film than SP. Sounds too.....traditional to me? Why not. Being cinematically a staunch conservative as opposed to all these reboot addicts in Hollywood ☺️
    Even if it's a continuation film, it will have to transition to something as Craig isn't getting any younger and eventually there will be a new man. They have to at least set it up for him if Craig is back for one more.

Well @BondJames. Tom Cruise is even older than Craig. I always like to make that comparison. But it's a valid one. Craig is older, yes. But to write him off at this age, would be spitting in the faces of other actors loving to return.....Hugh Jackman, Tom Cruise, Colin Firth, Robert Downey Jr.. So come on, let Craig become part of that 'gang of oldies' please ☺️.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    The road to Bond 25 hastarts started! I often enjoy the anticipation as much if not more than the finished film so I look forward to 2 years of news and speculation!

I'm hoping that lessons will have been learned from Spectre and that Bond 25 is a bit leaner and trying less to be an 'event.'

I'd just like it to be a damn good spy adventure.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    Speculation - BB was keen on DC but he felt he'd run his race with SP. A proud man with a keen sense of quality, he felt he'd let the team down and knew he'd been painted into a corner by his arc.

Then comes Logan Lucky, a liberating experience for him and one that made him feel like an actor again. An actor who can exist outside of Bond. No more arduous promotion circuits tied to the massive leviathan that is Bond.

LL might well have sealed his ultimate decision. BB gives him time, but he eventually realizes he has nothing to give a fifth Bond movie.

So the decision has been made with no replacement in sight. In order to stay connected with fans/stakeholders/business partners, EON issues a release date with a distributor locked in and the writers well advanced on a script they will now modify for a new era. Enough time is allowed to create a strong first showing and undertake a rigorous casting process.

I don't think DC is coming back.
    they finally gave it up 2019 it is. They clearly have a first draft & know who's starring and directing.
    Mcuigan seems the only name in town for director which I can live with - he's a solid journeyman in the grand tradition of Hunt, Glen and Campbell.

Wouldn't be against him. Quite liked Lucky Number Slevin, and the Sherlock-episodes he directed are solid. Could that make way for Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat writing the screenplay?

Moffat & Gatiss are writing BBC's Dracula. Shame. Gatiss is a huge Bond fan. Maybe another time?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883

Well @BondJames. Tom Cruise is even older than Craig. I always like to make that comparison. But it's a valid one. Craig is older, yes. But to write him off at this age, would be spitting in the faces of other actors loving to return.....Hugh Jackman, Tom Cruise, Colin Firth, Robert Downey Jr.. So come on, let Craig become part of that 'gang of oldies' please ☺️.
    Perhaps you're missing my point. If he's back for B25, then there will be someone new for the anniversary film B26 (unless we seriously expect him to return for one last hurrah at 54 in 2022). So, assuming B25 is his last, they will have to transition his Bond arc so that a new man could readily pick up the baton for the next film. I thought they did that (somewhat sloppily perhaps) with the ending of SP. It's open ended and we can go forward in any direction now. I'm curious to see what they do.

Regarding Craig's age, he has not shown any inclination outside of Bond to be an 'action star' and so I don't see him in the same light as I do the others that you mentioned (Firth is more 'old school' mentor than fit action type).
    Finally some news. Hope Daniel Craig does return as I think he is an exceptional Bond. I bloody loved Spectre, and would love a continuation, Blofeld would be a great film title.
    They don't need to announce that Craig is back...yet.

It's widely expected he'll be back and there's no reason to suggest EON would replace him.

I think the real reason they've not confirmed Craig's return is to build a bit of excitment before the reveal.
    Yes, but that's Craig's confirmed 'love' for Bond as well. Outside Bond he wants to engage into some serious acting, both movies and plays. But he does like the character Bond as well, apart from some misquoting by the media.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    SonofSean wrote: »
    They don't need to announce that Craig is back...yet.

It's widely expected he'll be back and there's no reason to suggest EON would replace him.

I think the real reason they've not confirmed Craig's return is to build a bit of excitment before the reveal.
    Your bang on...

• edited July 2017 Posts: 4,619
    GetCarter wrote: »

Why not call Nolan to write & direct then? The producers KNOW he would LOVE to helm one, and they KNOW he would want to direct the first one of a new era. If they are starting a new era with Bond 25 WITHOUT Nolan, I am officially joining the Barbara Broccoli hateclub.
    I think Daniel will be back. With Skyfall and SPECTRE he cleared his diary for a substantial time beyond prep/filming so he could have an active role in development / story etc, albeit with Sam Mendes. End of 2019 allows him to have this and next year on outside projects. If it proves his final Bond, he will want, again, a substantial role in development of the picture and the time necessary.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Robcraine wrote: »
    I think Daniel will be back. With Skyfall and SPECTRE he cleared his diary for a substantial time beyond prep/filming so he could have an active role in development / story etc, albeit with Sam Mendes. End of 2019 allows him to have this and next year on outside projects. If it proves his final Bond, he will want, again, a substantial role in development of the picture and the time necessary.

Welcome to the forum!
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883

Why not call Nolan to write & direct then? The producers KNOW he would LOVE to helm one, and they KNOW he would want to direct the first one of a new era. If they are starting a new era with Bond 25 WITHOUT Nolan, I am officially joining the Barbara Broccoli hateclub.
    Perhaps it has something to do with the distributor?
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    another four years between films. how disappointing.
    It better be worth the wait.
    I don't think they'd announce a date right away unless they were confident Craig was returning. Or if the announcement of a new Bond is imminent. But even then, it seems like they would have waited to announce the release date and the new actor simultaneously to get the biggest possible news splash.

When Nolan addressed the discussions he had about directing Spectre he seemed to indicate that he didn't want to do it due to the story already being set in the midst of CraigBond's arc. I think he'd only do it if there was a new actor and he had the opportunity to really do his own thing with it as opposed to being bound to Craig's portrayal.

I could see Soderbergh doing a Bond film, since he was mentioned. He's willing to do commercial stuff and his glossy style seems like it would fit well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @QuantumOrganization-- you're seriously hearing rumbles of back-to-back? If that's the case, then it's gotta be the Blofeld Trilogy.

That'd be crazy/ambitious.

Perhaps it has something to do with the distributor?

Yeah, another good question. This could be the reason why we have to wait for more definite casting decisions.
    I think Nolan was asked to direct B25 & he turned it down. EON wanted him badly IMO. He is guranteed a billion. the hype would be unreal.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    FINALLY SOME ACTUAL FRIGGIN NEWS! I'm so excited!
    For the sake of variety we finally got some good news!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Rack up another scoop proved correct for Bamigboye. Purvis & Wade's return was confirmed in the announcement.

*sighs* That's quite the dampener.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Rack up another scoop proved correct for Bamigboye. Purvis & Wade's return was confirmed in the announcement.

*sighs* That's quite the dampener.

For them to bring anything fresh at this point will be quite the challenge.