No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Whats everyone's view on J.J.Abrams directing Bond 25 ?
    He'll alter many stories and backstories from Fleming's establishment, Mendes would sound like a Fleming purist in comparison.
  • RC7RC7

Simply awful.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Bond 25 directed by J. J. Abrams.

"Hours and hours of build up and nonsensical plot elements all leading up to the reveal that Bond has been dead the entire time since Dr. No."

That'll be a no from me.
    Thanks chaps,just curious to know .
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This shows why Soderbergh is perfect for Bond, I believe.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Soderbergh would make a super 'cool' film full of atmosphere and style. That's for sure.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Soderbergh would make a super 'cool' film full of atmosphere and style. That's for sure.
    I'd love that!

Yes, very true. But also the main point that I took from that video essay is that he would handle formula very well. Soderbergh is especially skilled at presenting the familiar in a unique way. If you were going to reintroduce the staples of Bond, and you didn't want them to come off as prefunctory, then Soderbergh would be a great choice.

Ofcourse my first choice remains Campbell, but it doesn't hurt to have a back up. :)
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    Soderbergh is my favourite for Bond 25 director.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883

Yes, very true. But also the main point that I took from that video essay is that he would handle formula very well. Soderbergh is especially skilled at presenting the familiar in a unique way. If you were going to reintroduce the staples of Bond, and you didn't want them to come off as prefunctory, then Soderbergh would be a great choice.
    I agree, although Oceans 12 was a bit too stylized and empty for my liking.

I've recommended it many times before, but must do so again (obligated): If anyone hasn't seen Out of Sight, please do. Style and charisma dripping off that film.
    Expect David Holmes as the composer if Soderbergh takes up on the mantle.

Holmes previously did a variant of the Bond theme in the early 2000s.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Watching Skyfall on TV as I type this right now, and I'm just dying for one more Craig-Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, OUT OF SIGHT is a hundred percent swagger, sexiness, charisma. My only issue with Soderbergh-- I have a feeling he's a bit vanilla with violence. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he likes any bloodshed in his films, much the way I get that vibe from Mendes (having a brutal battle with Hinx and not a bruise-- blah).
    You might be right there @peter, then again I've never felt there's a burning need for gore in Bond. As long as they capture the viscerality of the fight, that's fine by me.

Sorry to keep labouring the point about Soderbergh, but as it mentioned towards the end of that video, his films are usually around 2 hrs in length. He doesn't make epic length films, so if they were looking to scale things back...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    You might be right there @peter, then again I've never felt there's a burning need for gore in Bond. As long as they capture the viscerality of the fight, that's fine by me.

Sorry to keep labouring the point about Soderbergh, but as it mentioned towards the end of that video, his films are usually around 2 hrs in length. He doesn't make epic length films, so if they were looking to scale things back...

Agreed here.

How do you all feel about Nicolas Winding Refn as a director for Bond? Should be interesting to see The Avenging Silence when it comes out.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sometimes I think that Refn is a visionary that skews on the "edgier" side of things for the sake of being edgy-- whether it makes sense or not.

I'm not sure if he'd play nice in Bab's sandbox.

@Mendes4Lyfe, I agree with your point, and that's where I feel Soderbergh may be lacking? That he lacks interest in the intensity, heat and sweat that would go, or should go, into a Bond's battles.

Campbell definitely is the opposite in this regard-- he's a man that obviously relishes in depicting human brutality, man vs man, especially in CR... And please, let's have a Bond that bleeds again!
  • Is The Avenging Silence a go? Last I heard, NWR himself wasn't sure the project would take off. If it does, it will be a surefire sign of his appropriateness for Bond—or lack thereof. Especially with P&W helming the script. William S. Burroughs meets Ian Fleming is how he's described the project.

I previously advocated NWR, however now I'm not so sure. Only God Forgives left me cold and miserable, somewhat disgusted and without hope for humanity. The Neon Demon left me shocked and disturbed and sick to my stomach. His films stick with you, just not in a good way IMO.

The man is stylish to the max, I'll give him that. It will be the most stunning looking film in the series apart from Skyfall—probably even more gorgeous. And he'll surely bring a more adult tone that could bring the series closer to those aspects of Fleming. I don't mind an auteur aesthetic in my Bond films. I like what Hunt did with OHMSS. I like what Forster did with QOS. I like what Mendes did with those aspects of SF. But I will caution that NWR is auteur in the extreme. He plastered his name in giant bold letters about six times throughout the opening and closing credits of The Neon Demon. Feels fairly in love with himself. I'm not sure he has the proper restraint to successfully match his auteur aesthetic with Bond the way others have in the past.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

This would be a huge plus; The Oceans 13 soundtrack is in heavy rotation in my Jeep. I would love to hear his take on the world of Bond.

talos7 wrote: »

This would be a huge plus; The Oceans 13 soundtrack is in heavy rotation in my Jeep. I would love to hear his take on the world of Bond.

Holmes's music is very catchy and memorable. More than what could be said about the last two scores, in my opinion.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Is The Avenging Silence a go? Last I heard, NWR himself wasn't sure the project would take off. If it does, it will be a surefire sign of his appropriateness for Bond—or lack thereof. Especially with P&W helming the script. William S. Burroughs meets Ian Fleming is how he's described the project.

I previously advocated NWR, however now I'm not so sure. Only God Forgives left me cold and miserable, somewhat disgusted and without hope for humanity. The Neon Demon left me shocked and disturbed and sick to my stomach. His films stick with you, just not in a good way IMO.

The man is stylish to the max, I'll give him that. It will be the most stunning looking film in the series apart from Skyfall—probably even more gorgeous. And he'll surely bring a more adult tone that could bring the series closer to those aspects of Fleming. I don't mind an auteur aesthetic in my Bond films. I like what Hunt did with OHMSS. I like what Forster did with QOS. I like what Mendes did with those aspects of SF. But I will caution that NWR is auteur in the extreme. He plastered his name in giant bold letters about six times throughout the opening and closing credits of The Neon Demon. Feels fairly in love with himself. I'm not sure he has the proper restraint to successfully match his auteur aesthetic with Bond the way others have in the past.

NWR does seem to subscribe to his own cult of personality, in the same way as Werner Herzog. I'm one of the 6 people that loved Neon Demon :P strictly as an audio/visual experience. Cliff Martinez is a genius.
    Soderbergh has worked with Newman as well folks.

Who's doing the score for Logan Lucky? Nobody is listed for it at present.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,038
    But I don't think Soderbergh would desire or accept anything as generic as Newman has , to date, done for Bond, at least I hope he wouldn't.

Logan Lucky appears to be Holmes

https://soundtracktracklist.com/release/logan-lucky-soundtrack/
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    @talos7

If the arrangement comes off too cheesy and electronic, keep in mind, chaps, this was made in the early 2000s when this genre was popular and the "new classic" of its time.
    I like it! :D
    Given the chance, Holmes is capable of something unique and effective; He could be the George Martin of the Craig era.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I expect an announcement for Wave-Link any day now.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,769
    @ClarkDevlin -- i like it too

Edit: actually... I love it...
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I've always loved David Holmes' work. Unlike the majority of composers today who keep generically replicating the incidental suspense cues of Hans Zimmer, Holmes' music has real structural melody in every track.

This has got to be one of my favourite tracks Holmes ever composed.

Or if you're looking for a more dramatic orchestral ambient, try this:

A bit off topic, but CR is the only Bond film for me that just leaves me begging for more in the last final scene.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but CR is the only Bond film for me that just leaves me begging for more in the last final scene.

Skyfall did that for me. Which should have been M handing Bond the folder to go to Mexico and find Sciarra.

This lack of news is horrible.