No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm reminded of these comments from Mendes almost one year ago, when he said he wouldn't return:

And to those pundits who are predicting which direction the series will take post-Craig, Mendes had this piece of advice: "I can guarantee whatever happens with it, it will not be what you expect. That's what [Barbara Broccoli's] been brilliant at, and that's how it'll survive."

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-25-sam-mendes-will-not-return-future-is-up-to-barbara-broccoli

Expect the unexpected.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Not sure if this was posted before.

Apparently, Broccoli and Wilson's play, The Kid Stays in the Picture, is likely to get a run on Broadway.

http://www.playbill.com/article/is-london-hit-the-kid-stays-in-the-picture-headed-to-broadway
    I mean if we are talking a reboot again which would totally be unexpected I hate to say it but I would prefer Nolan directing a trilogy set in the modern era utilizing elements of both young bond and fleming to give us a trilogy with Fassbender as 007...

But really anything apart from an adaption of You Only Live Twice for bond 25 would be somewhat of a shock for me.
    jake24 wrote: »

Apparently, Broccoli and Wilson's play, The Kid Stays in the Picture, is likely to get a run on Broadway.

http://www.playbill.com/article/is-london-hit-the-kid-stays-in-the-picture-headed-to-broadway

I think this has been known for some time
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Getafix wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

I think this has been known for some time
    You may very well be right.
    I'm glad they're occupying themselves with other things and spreading their wings, but Bond is the only product from EON that I'm even remotely interested in.
    From the archives, The family model (Eon) vs. the corporate model (Marvel):

Originally written 2013, updated 2015.

https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/the-family-model-eon-vs-the-corporate-model-marvel/
    Thanks @AlexanderWaverly. That was an interesting read.
    RC7 wrote: »
    The genius of Marvel is their ability to keep momentum and cash rolling in, despite the fact that in the cold light of day, 80-90% of their output is watchable, but average.

So EON is a bit less genius then.
    Floating around YouTube and came across a Craig interview from a couple of months back. The man said, "I've got the best job in the world. I'll keep doing it as long as I still get a kick out of it. If I were to stop doing it, I would miss it terribly." Doesn't sound like someone who is done with the role. Unlike Brosnan, Craig is much more involved with the productions and has his say in certain things. I'd bet on his return.

...then again, I do remember feeling the exact same way before they replaced Brosnan. That said, I think Craig is closer to the producers than Brosnan ever was - he even co-produced SPECTRE which is a first in the franchise. I've read that Cubby and Harry shot down one of Connery's similar proposals.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Brosnan wanted to be involved in more ways than one. But, his suggestions were often dismissed.
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2017 Posts: 10,512
    From the archives, The family model (Eon) vs. the corporate model (Marvel):

Originally written 2013, updated 2015.

https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/the-family-model-eon-vs-the-corporate-model-marvel/

Pretty much what I was suggesting earlier, but it's always ignored.
    Brosnan wanted to be involved in more ways than one. But, his suggestions were often dismissed.

That and I think for some reason Babs just didn't like Pierce as Bond. I could be wrong but that's just my feeling.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

That and I think for some reason Babs just didn't like Pierce as Bond. I could be wrong but that's just my feeling.

Well she certainly didn't champion his cause to become Bond,but Cubby had the last say for GE,so you could be right.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    So who would have been her choice in 95?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    talos7 wrote: »

Daniel Craig.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Sean Bean apparently impressed her. Read that somewhere. That's why he became 006. He had auditioned for Bond.
    IIRC it was definately Sean Bean,but Brosnan got the role due to Cubby and Bean was given the role of villain instead.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Well she certainly didn't champion his cause to become Bond,but Cubby had the last say for GE,so you could be right.

Yep it was Cubbys last Big doing in the Bond world to sign Pierce. The contract was sign with Cubby. Pierce had 1 contract his whole Bond run. It's funny cause his 4th film was an option one.

How does the option one work? I know pierce could say no if he wanted too but what would happen if Pierce wanted to do the 4th film but Babs said no?
    Dalton. Babs had more than a professional interest in the Daltonator. ;)
    Getafix wrote: »
    Dalton. Babs had more than a professional interest in the Daltonator. ;)

Dalton had walked by then,she backed Sean Bean for the role but Cubby chose Brosnan and Bean was handed the villain role instead.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883

Yep it was Cubbys last Big doing in the Bond world to sign Pierce. The contract was sign with Cubby. Pierce had 1 contract his whole Bond run. It's funny cause his 4th film was an option one.

How does the option one work? I know pierce could say no if he wanted too but what would happen if Pierce wanted to do the 4th film but Babs said no?
    I'm no expert, but I believe the option is the 'right of first refusal', which resides with the actor. If Babs didn't agree she would have had to buy Pierce out at penalty rates for essentially breaking the contract.

Someone can correct me on this because I'm just theorizing based on my understanding of contract law.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm no expert, but I believe the option is the 'right of first refusal', which resides with the actor. If Babs didn't agree she would have had to buy Pierce out at penalty rates for essentially breaking the contract.

Someone can correct me on this because I'm just theorizing based on my understanding of contract law.

That's how I see it....its in place to protect the actor.

And bean would of been a better bond
    I know Bean had auditioned, but I've read before that Paul Mcgann was their backup if Brosnan turned it down.

Yeah from what I can gather Brosnan was always vocal about the direction he wanted the films to go in (iirc it was him wanting Bond to have a more meaningful love interest that resulted in the Paris character). Even pre CR, when he was still in the picture, he was vocal about wanting a grittier Bond. But for whatever reason they didn't listen to him like they do to Craig so he just did the best to sell what they gave him.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/james-bond-007/news/a827591/pierce-brosnan-james-bond-regret-007/

"I wanted Bond to get a little more gritty and real and down and dirty, but however you try to nurse it along, the scripts would come along with the same outlandish scenarios"

Emphasis on "however you try to nurse it along". He gets a lot of criticism for sitting by and not doing anything about the poor material but he was probably a lot more vocal than his detractors give him credit for imo. He's just an actor at the end of the day. Can't help it if they don't listen to him. And I think this being because he was Cubby's choice rather than Babs and MGW would make sense.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Cubby had good taste.
    Yea with the way Brosnans movies turned out post Goldeneye (note: TWINE is my fav film and loved what they did with that) it seemed like Babs just wanted to finish Pierces contract as fast as she could so she could get her own Bond in and leave her own mark on the franchise.

Brosnan should have negatioated 5 films with Cubby. I'm sure he wouldn't have mind an actor committed to several films
    That's an interesting read. Thanks for posting.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Although of course rumour has it that she did date Dalton at one point. Whatever the truth he seems to have been a good friend of the Brocollis and remained close to Babs long after Bond.