No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I wasn't aware of that either.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    I've heard the rumour a few times. Who knows.

More interesting stuff from the archive:

http://variety.com/1994/film/news/dalton-bails-out-as-bond-120067/
    It was surreal reading that article. I almost feel we may get a similar release at some point in the near future.

Or else we'll get a Roger Moore FYEO/OP type scenario.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Discussion of these matters does not do us any credit I've Allways thought that James Martin is not a Gentleman for going public with his relationship with Barbara .
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames The only thing that will be disappointing when Bond 25 kicks into high gear will be that the 800+ pages of discussion about literally nothing will end. I'll miss my daily dose of reading this thread and seeing people going crazy about random rumours/articles that were meaningless at the time we discussed then. Can you imagine if we could bring this thread in the time between LTK and GE? 5 years worth of daily discussion about the upcoming Bond 17! Surely this thread would have crossed 1,500 pages before Dalton announced his retirement from the role in 1994.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Although of course rumour has it that she did date Dalton at one point. Whatever the truth he seems to have been a good friend of the Brocollis and remained close to Babs long after Bond.

I think she did as well,you are spot on for me .
    +1
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    It was surreal reading that article. I almost feel we may get a similar release at some point in the near future.

But there was only 2 years between FYEO and OP...
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, this is one of the most interesting threads on this forum in my view. The fact that there is absolutely nothing of substance here means that the discussion meanders into the hypothetical often (always?), and brings out some passionate opinions and illuminating points of view. I find some of the other threads (including the 'lovers' one for each actor) boring in comparison.

True, if we had the internet and this forum during that long break (1989-1995) I could just see people getting their hopes up around 1991 when rumours of the robot film first surfaced, and then dashed again. Finally Daltonites would have gotten all excited to hear that B17 was finally moving forward only to soon hear the crushing news that Dalts wasn't returning. Moreover, the successor was none other than Brozza (a hated man to some Daltonites for obvious reasons). This thread would have exploded in hate!
    --
    bondjames wrote: »

But there was only 2 years between FYEO and OP...
    True, but I was referring more to Moore finally returning after potentially not, which was the case for FYEO and OP from what I have read.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames the mere thought of witnessing @Getafix having a catastrophic meltdown on this thread once Dalton quitted and Brosnan was cast would have been very entertaining to see.
    Indeed @DaltonCraig007. Not to mention the uncontrolled elation of the Brosnanites, finally seeing their man in the role after being robbed mercilessly in 1986. Murdock would have brought the house down!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,756
    People talk a lot about how finding a new Bond will take a long time, yet they still managed to find a Bond a year prior back in 1994. Although it's a little late for Dan to make a parallel.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Fassbender would be a great choice, particularly if they want to remain in the "Craig Timeline". Without looking up specifics, he's roughly a decade younger than Daniel but has a maturity to slip into the same universe and carry on with the rest of the established cast. This is something that would be awkward with a substantially younger actor,

Fascinating I can understand his reasoning to a point, though Barbara I am single.
    @bondjames the mere thought of witnessing @Getafix having a catastrophic meltdown on this thread once Dalton quitted and Brosnan was cast would have been very entertaining to see.

Don't remind me. Brings back memories of some tough times!

What a bizarre article. I definitely wouldn't dump Barbara Broccoli. Free expensive stuff and she would probably give you input on the Bond films if you took an interest. That would be right up my alley, lol.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    @bondjames The only thing that will be disappointing when Bond 25 kicks into high gear will be that the 800+ pages of discussion about literally nothing will end. I'll miss my daily dose of reading this thread and seeing people going crazy about random rumours/articles that were meaningless at the time we discussed then. Can you imagine if we could bring this thread in the time between LTK and GE? 5 years worth of daily discussion about the upcoming Bond 17! Surely this thread would have crossed 1,500 pages before Dalton announced his retirement from the role in 1994.

Yeah it would be insane
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Yea with the way Brosnans movies turned out post Goldeneye (note: TWINE is my fav film and loved what they did with that) it seemed like Babs just wanted to finish Pierces contract as fast as she could so she could get her own Bond in and leave her own mark on the franchise.

Brosnan should have negatioated 5 films with Cubby. I'm sure he wouldn't have mind an actor committed to several films
    Then why didn´t they churn out a Bond film every year and get it over with, instead of having a three-year gap before DAD, and investing more and more money in each consecutive film?

boldfinger wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Yea with the way Brosnans movies turned out post Goldeneye (note: TWINE is my fav film and loved what they did with that) it seemed like Babs just wanted to finish Pierces contract as fast as she could so she could get her own Bond in and leave her own mark on the franchise.

Brosnan should have negatioated 5 films with Cubby. I'm sure he wouldn't have mind an actor committed to several films
    Then why didn´t they churn out a Bond film every year and get it over with, instead of having a three-year gap before DAD, and investing more and more money in each consecutive film?

Cause of he 40th anniversary. Which was more about a celebration than Brosnans 4th
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    And they wanted to play it safe.
    And they wanted to play it safe.

This^^

Babs made 4 Bond films in 7 years. I think it's safe to say that's fast enough to get his contract over with.
    Could someone please tell me why she - from a producers point of view -should have had anything against Brosnan? He was the single biggest argument for the woman half of the population to go into Bond movies at that time. Way back then in the 1990s I worked during studies as a bartender in a dance club. And I almost never heard the name Brosnan spoken by a woman without something like gorgeous, excellent, fantastic added to it when GE was released. That after a long absence a new Bond film was coming was not high on their priority list, I can tell you.
    yea Brosnan resurrected the Bond franchise. Babs should be thanking Brosnan cause there wouldn't be anymore films IMO without Brosnan
    This can be overstated I think. Time and again it's been shown that Bond is bigger than any one actor.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Brosnan was very popular at the time, and even when I was in my middle school years, everybody was speaking highly of him as Bond and even wanting to be him. It's years later when I made my entrance to the world of internet I discovered Brosnan has too many haters. Yes, it was approximately ten years ago. Truth be told, it was shocking.
    There was pent up demand for a Bond film in 1995. Everyone wanted 'the king' to return and show the pretenders how it should be done. EON obliged, after taking a detour during the truncated Dalton era.

Brosnan fit the bill in GE. Suave and cool. Campbell did what he had to (good cast, injecting style etc.). GE brought sexy back after the angst of the prior entry. It's a pity it never built from that, but rather regressed into predictable cliched tripe (imho), eventually necessitating a reboot.

I believe it's time for another of these moments.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    I think he was very popular with kids, like Roger was as well of course. No bad thing.

My nephews used to think he was great as well until they saw some of the other films and got a bit older.

Of course they love Dalton now and Brosnans a bit of a joke for them. I think as they got older they realised he's just a bit naff.
    This can be overstated I think. Time and again it's been shown that Bond is bigger than any one actor.

Absolutely! But I can tell you girls digged him big time. Even today I know many women, some even quite young, to whom he is still their Bond. Come to think of it, they younger they get the more they see it this way.
    As I've said countless times before, Brosnan's problem was never his looks. He's a very good looking chap. I can appreciate that women find him attractive, in a pinup sort of way.

I think Brosnan was the exception at the time