No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I much prefer the quiet look Bond and Madeleine share, basically saying, "Holy shit, we survived." Dan would've delivered the line very dryly, but I don't think the irony of the line would've connected with some people. There's people who still think Bond meant the scotch line following Severine's death, for crying out loud.
    Thanks @NickTwentyTwo.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,527
    I much prefer the quiet look Bond and Madeleine share, basically saying, "Holy shit, we survived." Dan would've delivered the line very dryly, but I don't think the irony of the line would've connected with some people. There's people who still think Bond meant the scotch line following Severine's death, for crying out loud.

These scenes in SF and SP and Bond's reactions to what's happened in them really show that Craig's Bond stands apart from the other actors to have played Bond and, IMO, puts Craig very very close to the literary Bond. Of course this has most to do with the writing in Craigs films rather than he himself.

I've said it a million times on these forums but that scene on the dead island with Severine and the scotch is one of my favourites in the whole franchise. It's in my eyes an entire Bond story condensed into one scene.

It's this generation's laser table.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Slight bit of a pun and it's camp to you? Wow.
    How is it a pun? Are you getting your gags confused?

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's a pun on Hinx's quiet nature having spoken just once entirely with one cussing word and Bond jokes about it. The only thing I see people confusing here are slight bit of jocular tone with camp. One cracks a joke, then it's finished, we entered camp. Damn the whole thing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's a pun on Hinx's quiet nature having spoken just once entirely with one cussing word and Bond jokes about it. The only thing I see people confusing here are slight bit of jocular tone with camp. One cracks a joke, then it's finished, we entered camp. Damn the whole thing.

Well, a pun would be a play on words, which that wasn't. The line as discussed is more of an ironical joke than anything. Not that it matters, but that was the clarification being requested.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Barbs won't be happy with the latest gutter press article that at some chatteau she is apparently supposed to have said she was waiting for Craig to get off her arse. Fake news.
    Barbs won't be happy with the latest gutter press article that at some chatteau she is apparently supposed to have said she was waiting for Craig to get off her arse. Fake news.

They'll print anything these days.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Probably just as fake as all the other nonsense that we've been hearing and reading about over the past month and a half. It's all up in the air folks. That's my take.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    tanaka123 wrote: »

They'll print anything these days.

Bond news is click bait. Make anything up, no way to dismiss it. It gives the bookies who pay Millions a year for press advertising a reason to pull punters in on a who will be next bond bet. Absolutely no way would Barbara say that she worships the ground the guy walks on. The respect is clearly mutual.
    Hmm, well maybe you need the definition of a pun. "a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings." Hopefully, this will give you greater understanding of what a pun actually is.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Hmm, well maybe you need the definition of a pun. "a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings." Hopefully, this will give you greater understanding of what a pun actually is.

No need to be such a sourpuss, mate.
    What's a sourpuss?
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Sp WAS a fun Bond. How much more camp do you want? Or is it that you think, Turner cannot deliver that? The hard hitting, that is.

To my notion the idea of SP being a fun/camp movie is a gross missunderstanding. I have yet to meet a single person that wasn't somehow bored by it. It's not that most people hate it, it's more that it does nothing for them. Most of the time when I talk with someone about it I get an unqualified shrug and something like "so la la", which is the German way to say "just so so" or - for people shy of controversy - even worse. I never ever hear people ( especially young ones, many of whom seem to have to have a tradition with their fathers going on to have watched yesteryear's Bond's on videotape/DVD/TV) talking about TSWLM,MR or even DAD that way.

Better than being a pussy who is sour.

Better than being a pussy who is sour.

I have no idea what you two are on about!
    Moving back to the topic at hand new week do you think we will get any new or credible rumors?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Moving back to the topic at hand new week do you think we will get any new or credible rumors?
    In my opinion, we will get a new rumour within the next week.

A credible one? Has there even been any that meet this criteria? I suppose it would depend on where one stands and what one wants. That's what I've been noticing on this thread anyway. I guess "it's all a matter of perspective", as someone once famously said.
    Hopefully we'll starting getting proper news once the distributor is decided.
    That's just it, @RogueAgent I don't think they will continue the hard hitting Bond after Craig. It's about time for a fun Bond, I'd say.

For me they tried that with DAD and look how that went down? Especially the second part of the movie.
    A lot of critics slammed the 'fun' aspects of Spectre too. The gag of pushing the man in his Fiat was pure Moore - we're not in the 1970s with Roger Moore now, that sort of stuff needs leaving behind.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    A lot of critics slammed the 'fun' aspects of Spectre too. The gag of pushing the man in his Fiat was pure Moore - we're not in the 1970s with Roger Moore now, that sort of stuff needs leaving behind.
    It's especially not going to work if the prior sequence with the same adversary was one where a man's eyes were gouged out and his neck broken. Tone deaf film making.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    CR had the perfect balance of humour, they should use that as a template.

Good call!

Agreed wholewheartedly - they got the humour absolutely right in CR.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    IMO they can push things further than CR without falling into Moore territory. It's all about having that deftness of touch. Humour is one of the hardest elements to get right in a Bond, which is they they have avoided it for so long. Even though some of the comedic aspects of SPECTRE didn't come off, I still really appreciated the fact that they were trying. It had been along time since a Bond film was actively putting effort into being upbeat.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Some more from Dave Batista on whether or not he thinks Mr. Hinx will return.

He also reveals that in SP, "Shit!" was followed by a line from Bond which was cut. And that he later had to dub the line to sound less American.

Glad they left Bonds line out would be approaching Moonraker levels of camp.

Bautista comes across like a really sincere and humble guy. Someone who sees the Hollywood industry as a means to an end. I'd recommend listening to the whole podcast, as he gives a very honest account of working in the industry.

It's not surprising that a sniffy Oscar-winning director like Mendes and working in England intimidated Bautista.

However, as much as I love the "thought he would never shut up" line, it would have totally killed the moment with Madeleine after. Her "what do we do now?" followed by the love scene is one of the more intelligent, witty and charming moments in a pretty messy movie.

Can we get Bautista back for Bond 25? He was a pretty generic thug in Spectre. So having him return isn't totally unthinkable. Also in his Empire podcast special, Mendes teased it as a possibility.

• RC7RC7
    edited May 2017 Posts: 10,512
    The line is great, for Moore. Craig could possibly have pulled it off elsewhere, but contextually it wouldn't have worked and I'm glad they cut it. For my money they should've cut, Hinx's 'shit', too.
    A similar gag works perfectly with Q when he discovers the Aston gone, but it's unnatural and tonally iffy in the Hinx scene.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Precisely. In fact, if you look at Craig Bond's overall disposition, he's in a very good place that is until Vesper dies and even then, right at the very end of the film Bond manages to crack a triumphant smirk.

CR is definitely the blueprint that encapsulates a favourably balanced Bond film.
    Whats everyone's view on J.J.Abrams directing Bond 25 ?