No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Yes I do agree that seems odd. Never happened that way before, but then we don't know all going on.

Maybe some spec script MGM on there on ...who knows, but a known actor may help.

Just out of order. How do you pitch a movie with no script, director, and just a star?

I was wondering about that too, especially how do you pitch that movie TO the Star?! It's not just "you are James Bond", as Bond could be anything, without a solid idea.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How do you pitch a movie with no script, director, and just a star?

Must be possible. They actually went ahead and filmed SP with no script.
    Not totally convinced whether or not he can pull off the ruthless killer which I'm sure Fass could do in his sleep but I'm happy to give him a chance.
    Now that´s a good point. Apart from that, I always thought he´d be pretty suited for Bond ever since I saw him in War Horse, don´t ask me why.

00Agent wrote: »
    Yes I do agree that seems odd. Never happened that way before, but then we don't know all going on.

Maybe some spec script MGM on there on ...who knows, but a known actor may help.

Just out of order. How do you pitch a movie with no script, director, and just a star?

I was wondering about that too, especially how do you pitch that movie TO the Star?! It's not just "you are James Bond", as Bond could be anything, without a solid idea.
    Well, if Eon came tomorrow and asked me would I like to play James Bond in their next film, I´d accept.
    I´d never think that a new Bond film has to be pitched these days.

boldfinger wrote: »

Well, if Eon came tomorrow and asked me would I like to play James Bond in their next film, I´d accept.
    I´d never think that a new Bond film has to be pitched these days.

Well that might be true for most of us, but i think a professional actor has to think about if he can pull off whatever role is required of him, in case of Bond this can go in many directions... From high intensity and dark to cool, lighthearted and funny.
    I remeber that Craig said he didn't wanna do it until he read the Script for CR and realized he could connect with the character.
    For Bond25 either they have an writer with a pitch already who they haven't announced yet, or Barbara has a strong vision already for Bond25.
    I remember her saying on the Spectre premiere that "they wanted to start early with the next script" and i still wonder who 'they' is... P&W wanted to quit two movies ago, i don't think we'll ever see them again
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    P&W wanted to quit two movies ago, i don't think we'll ever see them again

Wish I shared your optimism.

At this stage I'm tempted to say we're far more likely to see them back than Dan.
    Ill have to watch the Spectre premiere again.

They probably have a rough outline of the film already
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm sure this question has been posed but I wonder if anyone from EON ever reads these threads and chuckles. Don't get me wrong, I love the speculation but wonder how someone with real inside knowledge sees it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,586
    talos7 wrote: »
    I'm sure this question has been posed but I wonder if anyone from EON ever reads these threads and chuckles. Don't get me wrong, I love the speculation but wonder how someone with real inside knowledge sees it.
    I've always wondered this as well. And to tell you the truth, with all these differing opinions between fans I don't think scanning these boards will help EON in the slightest.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Ok that's funny.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Ok that's funny.
    Well, perhaps they did film Quantum of Solace without a script, too. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    ..... or a stedicam ;)

Ok that's funny.
    Well, perhaps they did film Quantum of Solace without a script, too. ;)

But I kinda liked QoS ...true they started filming without all the rewrites.
    If it is Hiddleston, he won't know what hit him when the full media firestorm starts up. He is already getting hit with a lot of snide comments that he and Taylor "staged" their pics on her private, well guarded property and many on silly (Daily Mail) and also serious sites (Slate) are referring to him as her latest beard, or closeted, or effete, or soft etc. But these comments could be nothing compared to what Hiddleston will get hit with, once the EON announcement is made and the more political and far tougher elements in the media who feel that Elba, or other actors, are far more appropriate to play Bond start to comment. As Mendes said a while back when promoting SP, everyone has an opinion about Bond.

Craig got some brutal treatment from Broz's "Craignotbond" element, but social media is now far bigger, far more rabid and toxic, and Craig did not have the political element that will hit Hiddleston and EON hard for passing over Elba. Bond probably does need a reboot, but the actor who plays him is just one of many major problems EON faces going foward. The Bond formula has become tired, and endlessly imitated. I hope not, but Bond may have finally jumped the shark.
    smitty wrote: »
    If it is Hiddleston, he won't know what hit him when the full media firestorm starts up. He is already getting hit with a lot of snide comments that he and Taylor "staged" their pics on her private, well guarded property and many on silly (Daily Mail) and also serious sites (Slate) are referring to him as her latest beard, or closeted, or effete, or soft etc. But these comments could be nothing compared to what Hiddleston will get hit with, once the EON announcement is made and the more political and far tougher elements in the media who feel that Elba, or other actors, are far more appropriate to play Bond start to comment. As Mendes said a while back when promoting SP, everyone has an opinion about Bond.

Craig got some brutal treatment from Broz's "Craignotbond" element, but social media is now far bigger, far more rabid and toxic, and Craig did not have the political element that will hit Hiddleston and EON hard for passing over Elba. Bond probably does need a reboot, but the actor who plays him is just one of many major problems EON faces going foward. The Bond formula has become tired, and endlessly imitated. I hope not, but Bond may have finally jumped the shark.

All I see if true is Elba and others mentioned in passing. They soon forget.
    Sooner or later they will run out of ideas, we may be getting close if not already there.
    Elba was not passed over, nor did he pass on the role; his name being connected to the role is a product of the tabloids. It has no basis in fact.
    I am sorry are we bond fans or not all this doom and gloom..

Craig had to deal with political element lest we forget the actor who played Robinson in tomorrow never dies and I think die another day was also up for the role of bond according to various idiots.. I mean credible news sources... And Craig weathered fine and as for running out of ideas

This was said in a new report in 1966 I believe

"There is no doubt the James Bond thing has come and gone and in its highlight suffered from serious over exposure"
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I am sorry are we bond fans or not all this doom and gloom..

Craig had to deal with political element lest we forget the actor who played Robinson in tomorrow never dies and I think die another day was also up for the role of bond according to various idiots.. I mean credible news sources... And Craig weathered fine and as for running out of ideas

This was said in a new report in 1966 I believe

"There is no doubt the James Bond thing has come and gone and in its highlight suffered from serious over exposure"

Indeed ;-)
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,844
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @bondjames, that's exactly what I've been saying all along, that Craig has been done with the role for some time now, yet I tend to get some heavy, emotional disagreement when I make that case.

And me. I've thought since I read the leaks that SP would be his last and honestly the arguments that his era feels unfinished confuse me. SP was clearly written as a conclusion imo. The title sequence and other callbacks, the tying up of loose ends, Bond quitting, etc. Yeah Blofeld is alive but that was symbolic, Bond was walking away from killing, completing his character arc. I'm not sure why so many didn't get that (even in the leaks thread there were people in denial about it, someone actually claimed that the ending was "Bond and Madeline went on holiday" at the end, even with the blatant symbolism of him throwing his gun away).

I guess there was still a possibility of his return, I was starting to doubt he was gone myself at one stage, but to me it's been clear for a while that he's done. At the very least, SP was clearly written as a potential conclusion imo.

While it's true that we shouldn't make grand predictions until anything concrete comes out, I'm not sure why some keep insisting that Craig is definitely returning. They could be setting themselves up for disappointment imo. Him being done with the role is at the very least a real possibility. And personally I think at this point it could be generous to even say there's a 50/50 chance of him coming back, but that's just me.

If SP was definitely written as a conclusion then that makes the script even worse.

Bond driving off into the sunset is totally against the character. Bond should not have a happy ending. If they wanted to give the Craig era a proper ending then have the finale from MR the novel.

If Craig had been dumped and walked off as 'the man who is just a silhouette' it would've been a sensational end to his tenure and might have elevated the dismal final act of SP a bit higher too.

Frankly the end of SF works as a better conclusion to the Craig era and to introduce a new Bond. Bond has been stripped down and rebooted and then built back up and is ready for business as usual at the end of SF.

At the end of SP everything is all over the shop.

Absolutely agree here. The shame is they did kind of flirt with a Moonraker-type ending in having Madeleine walk away from Bond—which I loved—only to turn right around and bring her back 5 minutes later to have the two of them ride off into the sunset together. Talk about a waste of a potentially great ending. I honestly thought that that was going to be the end of Bond and Madeleine and the climax would play out mano-a-mano and Bond would be left on his wearied lonesome to pick up the pieces of his life and carry on as he always has. But of course, all things considered, that narrative indecisiveness was really only a very minor blemish in the grand scheme of SP's story troubles.

For all those doubting that a new Bond actor could be decided upon already: it's been 7 and a half months since the last one came out. They could have easily screen-tested over a hundred potential 007s at this point and secured themselves a big-name director they're happy with. Mendes has ruled himself out, probably since before Spectre was even finished being put together, and the same very well may be true of Craig. (Not that I want Craig to go anytime soon, mind you, but things really are looking that way.) And as for the script, I would be very surprised if they didn't have a first draft—let alone a treatment—put together at this point. Again, 7 and a half months, and we're talking about a film that's been shrouded in finality since its release. More than enough time to settle on a director and lead actor.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I don't recall where I read this, it was some time ago. But one of the department heads said that, while they're filming the current film, they're already working on the next one, and thinking about the one after.

If that is indeed the case, then they are a lot further along in this whole process than we realise.

Personally, I hope DC does one more. I know that SP felt like a conclusion, but given the mess with the leaks and the issues with the script, and the incredibly rushed ending, I hope DC gets a proper send off with a film on par with CR. His dedication to the role and re-invigoration of the franchise deserves a better send off than SP in my opinion. And I truly hope his legacy wont be that comment about the wrists. He deserves more respect, even if his don't give a toss attitude gets him into hot water from time to time.

The evidence suggests otherwise.
    Well, if it is Hiddleston, at least he has Craig's ears. ;)

Whoever is Bond, Craig or anyone else, I hope that they maintain the character movement and possibly make it even richer while also introducing the connoisseur element to Bond again, coupled with the dark grittiness of Craig's Bond, pre Spectre. The connoisseur element has been lacking since the Moore era. I loved it when Bond would name the year of the wine while exercising an elegant pose. Similarly, in the books, I loved it when Bond would make comments like how when you order caviar, the problem isn't how much caviar you get but how you never get enough toast with it. It's these little facets to the character that make him different to other action heroes, aside for the fact that he always runs around in a suit.
    Bounine wrote: »

Whoever is Bond, Craig or anyone else, I hope that they maintain the character movement and possibly make it even richer while also introducing the connoisseur element to Bond again, coupled with the dark grittiness of Craig's Bond, pre Spectre. The connoisseur element has been lacking since the Moore era. I loved it when Bond would name the year of the wine while exercising an elegant pose. Similarly, in the books, I loved it when Bond would make comments like how when you order caviar, the problem isn't how much caviar you get but how you never get enough toast with it. It's these little facets to the character that make him different to other action heroes, aside for the fact that he always runs around in a suit.

but they did that in SP when he identified the Rolls Royce.

That's a good point and a great line. However, I think we can go further in terms of food and beverages.

They also did it in Skyfall but through Silva when he offers him the scotch 'Fifty year old Macallan. A particular favorite of yours, I understand.'
    But i think with an Eton educated stiff-assed Brit like Hiddleston it is far more likely that we get 1 or 2 scenes like that in his Movies, as it would seem a good direction for him to go in...
    Hey while were speculating about snagging a "Marvel" talent as Bond how about getting the Russos to direct him?
    Based on their work on their two Captain America films,I would take them in a heartbeat
    They are several cuts above generic comic book fair and tell a better story than the last 3 Bonds.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Based on their work on their two Captain America films,I would take them in a heartbeat
    They are several cuts above generic comic book fair and tell a better story than the last 3 Bonds.

I agree but i think they will be way too busy with the last two Avengers Movies for the next 4-5 years
    Just wishful thinking on my part; I know it's not realistic.

They also did it in Skyfall but through Silva when he offers him the scotch 'Fifty year old Macallan. A particular favorite of yours, I understand.'
    But i think with an Eton educated stiff-assed Brit like Hiddleston it is far more likely that we get 1 or 2 scenes like that in his Movies, as it would seem a good direction for him to go in...

You chaps have better memories than me. I'm getting old. Hiddleston is 4 years younger than me.

I really do think it's important to introduce all this again. I'd like to hear the words come from Bond. Good dialogue and acting is important though. It can't sound pretentious.