No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

While I would love Craig to come back for one more film, it would be cool to see a director like Christopher Nolan come in with a new Bond and set the franchise on (yet another) new path, similar to what he did with "Batman Begins".
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    And create a mind convoluting melodramatically tragedian depressing film masquerading as a Bond film?
    Assuming all this is true, I find it hard to believe that EON only screentested one actor.

Might quit the series if it is Piddleston.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Why not give something a chance first?
    And create a mind convoluting melodramatically tragedian depressing film masquerading as a Bond film?

You're right, the Nolan Batman films were REALLY bad :/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Assuming all this is true, I find it hard to believe that EON only screentested one actor.

Does your hatred for him really outweigh your love for the Bond franchise as a whole?

I said "might" :) There'll be other factors in play - director, story, supporting cast etc. And if they can put together a great trailer where they play the Bond theme over footage of Piddles and I don't cringe, then who knows! But right now I just can't summon up any enthusiasm for the guy. His look, his personality, his body of work, it's all offputting to me.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Assuming all this is true, I find it hard to believe that EON only screentested one 6actor.

Like those Connery fans that never returned. Can't please everybody.

I'll stick with either way. If I can stomach SP I can truly call myself die-hard.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,588

I said "might" :) There'll be other factors in play - director, story, supporting cast etc. And if they can put together a great trailer where they play the Bond theme over footage of Piddles and I don't cringe, then who knows! But right now I just can't summon up any enthusiasm for the guy. His look, his personality, his body of work, it's all offputting to me.
    Are you deliberately misspelling his name? ;)
    Edit: I Get the joke now.
    I guess the way I'll be able to talk myself into supporting Hiddleston is that EON could have gotten it much worse, if indeed there's any truth to this rumor. Hiddleston at least has some semblance of charisma and screen presence, whereas Turner has nothing other than a look that is vaguely Bondian.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I too don't understand these talks about quitting the series if this actor or that actor becomes Bond. I mean, I would if it was Jamie Bell or someone like him. Why not watch the film before forming an opinion.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Hiddleston dwarfs Turner in presence and charisma.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I've enjoyed the performances of all the actors who have portrayed 007 and
    I'm sure I shall continue to enjoy the performance of the next guy...... and the
    Next ........ and the ............ :))
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    if it turns out that the Hiddleston rumors were true all this time, then i think it's also very likely that Susanne Bier did get offered the job as director.
    @Superintendent, so you don't get why people would quit the series if a certain actor was cast...but then you'd quit the series if Jamie Bell was cast?
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Superintendent, so you don't get why people would quit the series if a certain actor was cast...but then you'd quit the series if Jamie Bell was cast?

Yes it's a bit contradictory. I said I would understand it, but I wouldn't quit myself. I would certainly give the guy a chance, whoever it is. I hope it makes more sense now.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 709
    double post, oops
    00Agent wrote: »
    if it turns out that the Hiddleston rumors were true all this time, then i think it's also very likely that Susanne Bier did get offered the job as director.

If they end up hiring the both of them, that's even worse. It indicates EON has no real creative direction or ideas of their own, and that they watched a BBC miniseries and said "Let's turn Bond into this!". I mean, Susanne Bier, seriously? Has anyone looked at her resume? Her CINEMA resume that is. She makes Michael Apted look like Michael Bay.

If they were searching six months ago, their actor/director choices would have been entirely different. (Again, assuming any of this is true)

All would have to agree on Bier and that seems less of a given.
    If they were searching six months ago, their actor/director choices would have been entirely different. (Again, assuming any of this is true)

[/quote]

That's a very important point. If that's indeed the direction they go, then the search was short and couldn't have been going on as long as some would suggest. I would be very hesitant if they get both of them, as it just looks like they're trying to copy something that was hot at the moment they began the search.

Again, assuming that there's any truth to this. I'm inclined to take the source at their original stance of not believing it unless EON says it's so.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

A studio would, certainly. And there is no studio yet. I still find it odd that they're apparently hiring a new actor before a studio, script, or director is in place.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,756

A studio would, certainly. And there is no studio yet. I still find it odd that they're apparently hiring a new actor before a studio, script, or director is in place.

Who says they don't have those?

I think the odds are in favor of them not having those things in place. Some kind of word about the deal would have gotten out if there was a deal in place, or if one was imminent. We've pretty much heard nothing about it.

Of course, MGM could have figured out how to keep everything under wraps, but given the outright incompetency of that studio, I would tend to doubt it. If EON was the one running the negotiation, then I might believe it a bit more, but not MGM.

Because it would have been reported (whether EON liked it or not). All of those things are very big deals, meetings would have been known about and discussed on deadline, Variety etc.
    @dinovelvet, Deadline reported on Hiddleston and Barbara meeting a few weeks ago, but nobody believed it. Outside of an official announcement, Deadline is the only site I'll trust when something is "confirmed."
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Can someone check on Mendes4lyfe I am nervous about his health now lol

Again, most are annoyed by his Turner love, and yet every time the slightest rumor or "source" is announced, everyone is immediately clamoring to hear what he has to say. Funny how that works!

Not interested in the slightest in his Turner fluffing. Just thought it's rather strange that when some teenage work experience Jnr hack working for TV Quick magazine posts that a bookie in The Cook Islands has taken a 4p bet on Turner he's on here in 5 seconflat declaring it as fact.

But this, which is the closest we've had to a reputable source, comes out and he's nowhere to be seen. One might be inclined to think the guy is a worse loser than Ronaldo. Or has hanged himself.

If it turns out to be Hiddlestone I guess I'll be reasonably happy with it. He's the best of a mediocre field.

I'd sooner DC stay and would've preferred Fassbender, but if the change has to be made they could do a lot worse.

I didn't think much of him pre the Night Manager but I think in that he showed he had the suaveness and acting chops to do a reasonable job. Not totally convinced whether or not he can pull off the ruthless killer which I'm sure Fass could do in his sleep but I'm happy to give him a chance.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Because it would have been reported (whether EON liked it or not). All of those things are very big deals, meetings would have been known about and discussed on deadline, Variety etc.

Deadline did mention this at the end of May:

There have been no negotiations on where the Bond movie will land (Sony or Warner Bros. are out front on this) and although it was thought that negotiations might start after the first quarter 2016, parties are not likely to engage in negotiations until later this year. There is no workable script yet and the creative elements have yet to come into place.

Delete ..accidental double post.

Yes I do agree that seems odd. Never happened that way before, but then we don't know all going on.

Maybe some spec script MGM on there on ...who knows, but a known actor may help.

Just out of order. How do you pitch a movie with no script, director, and just a star?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Spectre ending was written 2 ways. It gives Craig a nice send off if he doesnt come back, but it also left an opening with Blofeld being kept alive if Craig does come back
    It´s a pretty standart ending. All of Craig´s films played a lot with variations of "Bond leaving", this was the respective version of the typical Bond film ending with Bond spending some private time with the girl. And bringing Blofeld back after so many decades just to kill him off would have been too ridiculous indeed.