No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited June 2016 Posts: 2,598
    You know, at this point, I don't even really care who becomes Bond as long as he remains a white man. My major concern is the writing. I think that this whole personal Bond/Blofeld connection has tainted the series. What a bloody poor plot device. It would be bad enough without borrowing from Austin Powers but the fact that they did just makes it so much worse.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Bounine wrote: »
    You know, at this point, I don't even really care who becomes Bond as long as he remains a white man. My major concern is the writing. I think that this whole personal Bond/Blofeld connection has tainted the series. What a bloody poor plot device. It would be bad enough without borrowing from Austin Powers but the fact that they did just makes it so much worse.

Eh ...no biggie. Bond will survive that. Craig most likely not since associated with his Bond.
    00Agent wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Yes I do agree that seems odd. Never happened that way before, but then we don't know all going on.

Maybe some spec script MGM on there on ...who knows, but a known actor may help.

Just out of order. How do you pitch a movie with no script, director, and just a star?

I was wondering about that too, especially how do you pitch that movie TO the Star?! It's not just "you are James Bond", as Bond could be anything, without a solid idea.
    Well, if Eon came tomorrow and asked me would I like to play James Bond in their next film, I´d accept.
    I´d never think that a new Bond film has to be pitched these days.

Well that might be true for most of us, but i think a professional actor has to think about if he can pull off whatever role is required of him, in case of Bond this can go in many directions... From high intensity and dark to cool, lighthearted and funny.
    I remeber that Craig said he didn't wanna do it until he read the Script for CR and realized he could connect with the character.
    Considering they made one of the best Bond films with a guy who wasn´t even an actor, it shouldn´t be a problem to find someone to play Bond.
    Considering the salary the actor gets, an actor shouldn´t be too worried about playing Bond.
    If he´s an actor, his profession should allow him to portray a variety of character facettes.
    If the producers have a certain direction in mind, they will cast the actor according to that.
    If the producers want a certain actor to play Bond, they will mold Bond´s character accordingly.

I believe, very few would run from it like DC did. I doubt, they need to show Hiddles anything, just the brand and he is in.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I believe, very few would run from it like DC did. I doubt, they need to show Hiddles anything, just the brand and he is in.

So do you think we've sadly seen the last of Daniel Craig as Bond GL?

• edited June 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Benny wrote: »

So do you think we've sadly seen the last of Daniel Craig as Bond GL?

Yes, I think so and hard to believe, I am all for it. I rather see him leave then having them screw up his legacy with whatever comes next. He got away with Sp, if just and will no doubt, survive the wrist comments, but better not test his luck too much. He has had 10 years, full of all sorts of ups and downs, fun and exciting, testing and cruel - so yes, I think, he is done and will be relieved to move on.

So now its more input - MORE?

http://www.thebookbond.com/2016/06/craig-is-indeed-out-but-not-for-reasons.html

This totally doesn't sound like Daniel - come on.

This guy states, he has no relationship with EON and co and wasn't involved with Bond much before, just knows some people. I would bet all my money, that its not true. Whatever got him the co-prod, it was earned by him and given freely. How much more could anybody want anyeway? He has had his little hands in every aspect already.

So - before someone else posts it, here my opinion on it. Another bullocks. Gosh, I hope, this ends -just to end all this bs. As far as I am concerned, let Mickey Mouse or Donald have it, but make An end!

This guy states, he has no relationship with EON and co and wasn't involved with Bond much before, just knows some people. I would bet all my money, that its not true. Whatever got him the co-prod, it was earned by him and given freely. How much more could anybody want anyeway? He has had his little hands in every aspect already.

So - before someone else posts it, here my opinion on it. Another bullocks. Gosh, I hope, this ends -just to end all this bs. As far as I am concerned, let Mickey Mouse or Donald have it, but make An end!

Sounds rubbish to me too, but it's now the second place I've seen it suggested that Craig's walking away because he can't have the creative control he wants.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2016 Posts: 17,808
    007 Magazine sounds official but it was just somebody posting something about Craig being finished with Bond and Tom Hiddleston doing tests on their Facebook page as far as I can tell. Nothing to get too excited about anyway methinks...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,117

Absolutely agree here. The shame is they did kind of flirt with a Moonraker-type ending in having Madeleine walk away from Bond—which I loved—only to turn right around and bring her back 5 minutes later to have the two of them ride off into the sunset together. Talk about a waste of a potentially great ending. I honestly thought that that was going to be the end of Bond and Madeleine and the climax would play out mano-a-mano and Bond would be left on his wearied lonesome to pick up the pieces of his life and carry on as he always has. But of course, all things considered, that narrative indecisiveness was really only a very minor blemish in the grand scheme of SP's story troubles.

Bang on. One of Fleming's great endings tossed away in favour of a limp damsel in distress denouement.

The final act is like someone in the office just typed up a brainstorming session as part of the script and no one noticed and they just went away and filmed it.

Sam: It would be nice if we could have Bond arrive at a classic villains lair.
    P: What if the villain is Oberhauser's son?
    W: Who murdered his father because he hated Bond stealing his affection away from him!
    Babs: But I thought we said Blofeld was going to be the villain?
    P: He is. Brace yourself Babs!
    W: He reveals himself to be Blofeld!! Imagine that. The guy who hated Bond as a kid turns out to be Ernst!
    P: Isn't that brilliant? The fans are going to love that.
    Babs: I'm not so sure. Michael what do you think?
    MGW: Hmm? What sorry I dropped off.
    Babs: Michael not again. Try and stay awake.
    Sam : I like it. How about then he tortures Bond just.... well because?
    P: We could use the torture scene in CS.
    W: I'm loving that idea P!
    P: Cheers W.
    Babs: So how do we get Bond out of the base? I'm worried about the run time as we still have to wrap up all the C stuff in London.
    Sam: I've got this one nailed. Brace yourself Babs! Bond uses the watch to blow up Blofeld then he shoots all the guards and with one shot BOOM!! blows the whole base up!!
    P&W: Great idea Sam!!
    Sam: Cheers P&W.
    Babs: Won't that be terribly expensive? I'm already a bit concerned about going over budget.
    Sam: Yeah but imagine the kudos in the press! Guiness book of records for biggest ever explosion in a film? Doesn't that sound great Babs? BOOM!!
    Babs: Yeah I've got the idea. But won't Bond be all groggy after the brain torture? How can he shoot his way out?
    Sam: Nah f**k that. The cretins in the audience won't notice that if you make the explosion big enough. BOOM!!
    P: BOOM!!
    W: Its all about the BOOM!! Babs.
    Babs: Please stop saying that. Michael help!?
    MGW: Zzzzzzz. What?!? Err BOOM??
    Babs: FFS. Ok BOOM fine. What about the London finale?
    P: Piece of piss. M gets Q to hack the system and that stops the whole villains plot. No need to explain it any further. The cretins will buy that.
    W: Sorted Babs.
    Babs: But what is Bond doing during all this?
    P: Oh right. Yeah don't worry we thought of that. Brace yourself Babs!
    W: We thought we'd use the ending from MR and have Madeline leave Bond.
    Babs: That's the first idea I've liked all day.
    Sam: Straight from Fleming. Love it P&W.
    P&W: Cheers Sam.
    Sam: But I quite fancied a damsel in distress denouement.
    P: Well we could do that as well.
    Babs: Instead of you mean?
    W: No Babs as well as. We wrong foot the audience and they think she's left him but then we flip it and she has been caught by Blofeld!
    Sam: Damn that's good.
    Babs: Errm.
    P: Trust us Babs. We've been doing this a long time.
    W: Remember how you hated the tsunami parasurfing idea? Weren't we proven right about that?
    Babs: Well yeah ok. So what's the big action set piece?
    P: Some sort of boat chase.
    W: Could throw a helicopter in.
    P: With Bond shooting at it with his Walther.
    Babs: So Blofeld escapes. Fair enough I can go with that.
    Sam: Nah. Got a killer ending. Brace yourself Babs! Bond shoots the helicopter down and confronts Blofeld on the bridge.
    Babs: Good I like it. A nice Flemingesque killing right. Seems a shame to wrap up the whole Blofeld thing in one film but ok.
    P&W&Sam: Nah.
    Sam: He just walks away.
    Babs: But what about Blofeld?
    P: He goes to prison.
    W: How's that for a finale?
    Babs: Err. Michael?
    MGW: What? Um err. Is it time for dinner already?
    Babs: Jesus.
    Sam: Babs just sign here on the dotted line and we'll get the copies of the script printed right now. We start filming tomorrow you realise.
    Babs: Right f**k it lets go for it. It's not my money it's the studio's.
    Sam: Lovely jubbly. You know it makes sense. That's a wrap guys.
    P: Sorted.
    W: Who's for a Nandos?
    MGW: Count me in boys.
    Babs: Can I just have a word about the score?
    Sam: Chill. I'm all over that. Just wait till you hear who I've got lined up. Brace yourself Babs!!

Sorry chaps. I'm at a loose end all day. Blame UEFA for only having matches at 21.00 tonight.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sam: Nah f**k that. The cretins in the audience won't notice that if you make the explosion big enough. BOOM!!
    P: BOOM!!
    W: Its all about the BOOM!! Babs.
    Babs: Please stop saying that. Michael help!?
    MGW: Zzzzzzz. What?!? Err BOOM??
    Babs: FFS. Ok BOOM fine. What about the London finale?
    This part literally killed me! Right there! =))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sam: Lovely jubbly. You know it makes sense. That's a wrap guys.

:))
    Well done Wiz, very amusing.
    But when did Sam Mendes turn into Del boy?
    Not sure if it's mentioned here but TheBondbook.com claims Craig is gone. Eon consider Craig a pain.
    Why am I telling you all this? Because I have no stake in this, and I don't have any opinions about who should be the new Bond. I also have no relationship or involvement with Eon. So I'll just share what I've heard from people who I trust and have been right before. Take this for whatever you feel it's worth.

Yes, Craig is indeed out. But the media spin that he's walked away way from a billion dollar offer is just that, spin. Eon always let their Bond actors announce that they are the one's who decided to resign their license to kill. What I've heard is Eon and Barbara Broccoli are the ones who are done with Craig who wanted more control as a "producer." Recall that he was give a producer credit on SPECTRE, which was a first for any Bond actor. So Craig has become a pain and Barbara is over him and ready to move on. Also, with no studio yet in place to distribute the next film, the promise of a clean slate has its own appeal.

As far of Tom Hiddleston is concerned, I've heard nothing about him or any replacement.

So there you go. I do think this has the smell of truth about it. But those of us who lived through the days of the Roger Moore contract battles, it's in our bones to never say never. So if Craig does come back for a fifth film, I will be very happy to have been wrong. Because I do think he's the best Bond ever.

Now back to books.
    Posted by John Cox at 12:51 PM

I never bought into B Broccoli's absolute love of Craig and his performances. I'm sure she likes the guy and what's he done but I doubt she'll shed any tears if he's gone. She is carrying on her father's legacy. I mean this in the nicest way - I'm sure she is a tough business woman! No room for sentiment in the film biz. Nope!

mcdonbb wrote: »
    Yes I do agree that seems odd. Never happened that way before, but then we don't know all going on.

Maybe some spec script MGM on there on ...who knows, but a known actor may help.

Just out of order. How do you pitch a movie with no script, director, and just a star?

I was wondering about that too, especially how do you pitch that movie TO the Star?! It's not just "you are James Bond", as Bond could be anything, without a solid idea.
    Well, if Eon came tomorrow and asked me would I like to play James Bond in their next film, I´d accept.
    I´d never think that a new Bond film has to be pitched these days.

Well that might be true for most of us, but i think a professional actor has to think about if he can pull off whatever role is required of him, in case of Bond this can go in many directions... From high intensity and dark to cool, lighthearted and funny.
    I remeber that Craig said he didn't wanna do it until he read the Script for CR and realized he could connect with the character.
    Considering they made one of the best Bond films with a guy who wasn´t even an actor, it shouldn´t be a problem to find someone to play Bond.
    Considering the salary the actor gets, an actor shouldn´t be too worried about playing Bond.
    If he´s an actor, his profession should allow him to portray a variety of character facettes.
    If the producers have a certain direction in mind, they will cast the actor according to that.
    If the producers want a certain actor to play Bond, they will mold Bond´s character accordingly.

Well, opinions vary about that "masterpiece" - I never liked it when I was young, and still don't, and for me it actually matters if the guy in a lead role can act or not.

An actor can indeed "worry" about playing a character, and I don't see how money has anything to do with that - it really isn't the answer to everything. Your points about the acting part of the job are all reasonable, and I imagine true. However, an actor may still have preferences character/style-wise that aren't the same as the producers' - or an actor may not even find the character/movies that interesting. Another thing is that an actor may have concerns about the length of commitment and all it entails - it's not just an acting job, especially nowadays. It comes with a plenty of baggage that isn't about acting (or money for that matter). Craig has not been entirely comfortable and happy with it all, and some might think twice about getting into it at all. Playing the same character over several films and for maybe or decade or so, and getting the extra media hassle and all that is not necessarily a desirable thing. Career-wise a franchise job has its pros - it can increase opportunities to get other jobs - but it can also make doing other stuff more tricky in other ways (scheduling conflicts, for instance).

I'd say any actor would have a lot to think about and maybe worry about with a job like Bond actor's. Anyone not thinking it through before committing would be an idiot.
    Maybe the producer credit on Spectre was an appeasement then? Maybe. I don't think I buy the claims that Eon have effectively given DC the boot because of creative control, he was very open from the beginning about his desire to have some say. Doesn't add up to me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Perhaps ten years later in another documentary, we'll know the real reason.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's mentioned here but TheBondbook.com claims Craig is gone. Eon consider Craig a pain.
    Why am I telling you all this? Because I have no stake in this, and I don't have any opinions about who should be the new Bond. I also have no relationship or involvement with Eon. So I'll just share what I've heard from people who I trust and have been right before. Take this for whatever you feel it's worth.

Yes, Craig is indeed out. But the media spin that he's walked away way from a billion dollar offer is just that, spin. Eon always let their Bond actors announce that they are the one's who decided to resign their license to kill. What I've heard is Eon and Barbara Broccoli are the ones who are done with Craig who wanted more control as a "producer." Recall that he was give a producer credit on SPECTRE, which was a first for any Bond actor. So Craig has become a pain and Barbara is over him and ready to move on. Also, with no studio yet in place to distribute the next film, the promise of a clean slate has its own appeal.

As far of Tom Hiddleston is concerned, I've heard nothing about him or any replacement.

So there you go. I do think this has the smell of truth about it. But those of us who lived through the days of the Roger Moore contract battles, it's in our bones to never say never. So if Craig does come back for a fifth film, I will be very happy to have been wrong. Because I do think he's the best Bond ever.

Now back to books.
    Posted by John Cox at 12:51 PM

I never bought into B Broccoli's absolute love of Craig and his performances. I'm sure she likes the guy and what's he done but I doubt she'll shed any tears if he's gone. She is carrying on her father's legacy. I mean this in the nicest way - I'm sure she is a tough business woman! No room for sentiment in the film biz. Nope!

Its posted one page back by me with an opinion about it.It doesn't make sense to say the least.

This guy states, he has no relationship with EON and co and wasn't involved with Bond much before, just knows some people. I would bet all my money, that its not true. Whatever got him the co-prod, it was earned by him and given freely. How much more could anybody want anyway? He has had his little hands in every aspect already.

• edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    The Bookbond.com claim does contradict the 007 Magazine claim about Hiddleston screen-tested and offered the role. It's doubtful any new actor will be announced before summer/autumn 2017 so it's doubtful Hiddleston was offered the role. I'm guessing there is enough time for new actors to appear on Eon's radar but I suppose it's possible Hiddleston is B Broccoli's number one choice for the part.

I still think there's a fair bit of time to go before any announcement.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Spectre ending was written 2 ways. It gives Craig a nice send off if he doesnt come back, but it also left an opening with Blofeld being kept alive if Craig does come back
    It´s a pretty standart ending. All of Craig´s films played a lot with variations of "Bond leaving", this was the respective version of the typical Bond film ending with Bond spending some private time with the girl. And bringing Blofeld back after so many decades just to kill him off would have been too ridiculous indeed.

absolutely but I think it's going to be even more ridiculous to not even bring Blofeld back for the next film even if Craig doesn't. I really hope they didn't waste the Spectre storyline with this film
    edited June 2016 Posts: 17,808
    Bringing back Blofeld and finishing off that story surely depending on Daniel Craig returning, no? Or will it be a TB/YOLT - Connery - OHMSS - Lazenby - DAF - Connery type of pattern?
    Yea I don't believe Craig was difficult to work with. Ffs Babs has given Craig more power than any Bond actor that's come before him. Something that cubby would have NEVER done
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Spectre ending was written 2 ways. It gives Craig a nice send off if he doesnt come back, but it also left an opening with Blofeld being kept alive if Craig does come back
    It´s a pretty standart ending. All of Craig´s films played a lot with variations of "Bond leaving", this was the respective version of the typical Bond film ending with Bond spending some private time with the girl. And bringing Blofeld back after so many decades just to kill him off would have been too ridiculous indeed.

absolutely but I think it's going to be even more ridiculous to not even bring Blofeld back for the next film even if Craig doesn't. I really hope they didn't waste the Spectre storyline with this film
    I'm afraid that sin was already committed, at least imho.
    Yea I don't believe Craig was difficult to work with. Ffs Babs has given Craig more power than any Bond actor that's come before him. Something that cubby would have NEVER done

Yes, he is not the kind of person, who believes to know everything AND better. He is the laid back type, who goes as far as they would let him to what he thinks is best for the Bond. Whether or not someone agrees, that was good, doesn't matter in this context.
    The only official facts we know for certain are that Craig was contracted for a 5th film years ago and is currently the incumbent Bond actor. That's it. Why all this drama on tabloid nonsense? I can understand speculating at this point but the thread's constantly changing title is becoming exhausting.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited June 2016 Posts: 3,157

Absolutely agree here. The shame is they did kind of flirt with a Moonraker-type ending in having Madeleine walk away from Bond—which I loved—only to turn right around and bring her back 5 minutes later to have the two of them ride off into the sunset together. Talk about a waste of a potentially great ending. I honestly thought that that was going to be the end of Bond and Madeleine and the climax would play out mano-a-mano and Bond would be left on his wearied lonesome to pick up the pieces of his life and carry on as he always has. But of course, all things considered, that narrative indecisiveness was really only a very minor blemish in the grand scheme of SP's story troubles.

Bang on. One of Fleming's great endings tossed away in favour of a limp damsel in distress denouement.

The final act is like someone in the office just typed up a brainstorming session as part of the script and no one noticed and they just went away and filmed it.

Sam: It would be nice if we could have Bond arrive at a classic villains lair.

[...]

Sam: Chill. I'm all over that. Just wait till you hear who I've got lined up. Brace yourself Babs!!

Sorry chaps. I'm at a loose end all day. Blame UEFA for only having matches at 21.00 tonight.

=)) :))

Judging by the way Blofeld and his organization were handled in SPECTRE, they better have a completely new villain in Bond 25.

Not to mention we already had SPECTRE behind the events of half of Bond movies. Time to move on.
    Daniel Craig is in the position that Connery wanted as Bond in the 60s
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    By the way @TheWizardOfIce, that was hilarious and well done old chap. Made my day reading it. I had visions of Sam jumping up and down like a child and kissing everyone like an idiot post-Guinness explosion when reading it.
    Daniel Craig is in the position that Connery wanted as Bond in the 60s

It would appear so. He'd be wise to stray for at least one more Bond film...

ggl007 wrote: »

Its as true or not true as everything else at this point, I think. At the moment, there are so many options in the air, that there is something for everybody ;)