Realistic & Serious Story Ideas for Bond 25 (...to be used by EON Productions Ltd.??)

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Would be nice not to have MS so predictably killed ...also why have a prison escape? He didn't do anything. Nine Eyes sanctioned by the government and the MI6 building was already set for destruction. Ok MS escaped but ya gotta prove all that.

Almost as bad as Bond killing a man trying to commit suicide.
  • SeanoSeano Minnesota. No, it's not always cold.
    Here's my cursory treatment: instead of a Blofeld escape, he is allowed to walk after threatening to dump all of SPECTRE's gleaned intelligence from Nine Eyes Wikileaks style. Blofeld disappears and SPECTRE is believed dead.

Three years later, Bond and Madeleine are living in Jamaica. Bond, bored, is drinking too much and suffering from health problems stemming from the depleted uranium shell in Skyfall. His friend, local fishing guide Fidele Barbey, convinces Bond to come with him on a job working for a obnoxious Englishman named Milton Krest who is looking for a fish not seen in the area in the last 30 years,

When they board the Wavekrest, Bond discovers that Krest is actually Mallory. Mallory needs Bond to take on a personal mission. Mallory's niece disappeared from a remote Japanese experimental medical clinic (one of 12 such disappearances over the last two years). Little is known about the American woman and Swiss man who are the medical masterminds behind the clinic. The Japanese Secret Service -- sensitive to the extensive amount of foreign investment the clinic has pumped into a poor fishing village -- is looking the other way. Using the depleted uranium shell injury as cover, Mallory has arranged for Bond to be admitted to the clinic for purposes of trying to determine what is going on.

Upon arriving in Japan, Bond is intercepted by Tiger Tanaka, who has correctly deduced that the arrival of a former Double-O in his country may mean there may be mayhem ahead. Tanaka -- offended by his government's indifference -- fills Bond in on the clinic's "Garden of Death" that may be responsible for the disappearances, and gives Bond the implicit OK to do what he needs to do in order to prevent the clinic from operating further.

At the clinic, Bond begins his radical treatment -- which weakens him further initially -- while he snoops around and discovers that the clinic, in addition to its legitimate research -- is developing a hazardous biotoxin that would make many essential varieties of grains and animals infertile, essentially wiping out the world's food supply.

A weakened Bond infiltrates the Garden of Death (and he sees a few gruesome deaths along the way) and reaches the castle where the doctors -- who, of course, prove to be Irma Bunt and Blofeld -- live. Blofeld, though, has gone quite mad, using his drill technique from Spectre not as a means of punishment but rather as a way to give the brain a "tune-up". Bunt and Blofeld taunt Bond with their knowledge that he has been known to them all along, and they show him proof that after he came to the clinic, they had Madeleine killed in Jamaica.

Bond engages both in hand-to-hand combat, sending Bunt presumably falling to her death from the top floor of the castle and choking out Blofeld. He then triggers the castle to explode by sabotaging the heating system based on the underground geyser and escapes by clinging to a weather balloon that floats away as the castle explodes. The explosion sends Bond crashing into the ocean, and we see his body wash ashore -- battered but alive -- as the credits roll.
    news is two bonds could be made back to back that would be DC last bond films . Also if they did
    make them questions would there be two directors or just the one there be two lots singing bond
    tunes . It would be biggest bond cast in any bond film more than one leading lady and supporting
    lots of people playing the henchman more than one bond car and a huge production crew. Lots of
    Q toys . Also will the films be stand alone or a two part story.
    It probably would be the same direct, and the story would countinue
  • Guntram_ShatterhandGuntram_Shatterhand The Shadows
    edited January 2016 Posts: 12
    BondBug wrote: »

A few months later, the doctor comes by and wonders why he has lost his memory for so long, and that he should go back. Chihiro refuses, explaining he has to stay, as she is pregnant of him. After a few more months Bond shows her a newspaper that mentions Shanghai, I remember this place from somewhere. I think I should go there, find out what happened to me. Chihiro looks sad, yes, she says. "I understand, just know one thing. I love you"

Roll credits

James Bond will return

I think your plot is very good, Guntram. I like the love story, the pathos and the human story - it is a good idea for Madeline to be killed early on so Bond is driven by rage. Blofeld definitely needs to come back, and I like the return to Japan. I wonder if it is too reliant on the audience having seen the previous Bond movie. It has a pretty good flow and good structure, but it is very hard to read with such long paragraphs! If you tidied it up a bit, I think more people would be inclined to read it, but good job!

Thanks for reading it!
    I'm sorry for the writing, but English is not my first language. The paragraphs are indeed a bit long.

I'm glad you like the flow. There's still some things I'm not sure about though, like the pre title sequence and the third act. I haven't read YOLT in a while so I don't remember all the details but I think that could be a bit stronger like the original. Furthermore I think it could be nice to have Bond married in the pre title sequence or during the titles, although a small impulsive wedding in Vegas is kind of the current Bond style as well.

The reason I tied it up to Spectre so much is twofold. Firstly, since the DC era is so continuous I only thought it suited to keep that line moving forward. Secondly, the way Spectre lacks background on some story elements like the linkage to the former villains should be explained better. The same with the foster brother angle. I'm not a fan of this element but for me the worst is that they took this angle and not created a proper narrative out of it, it's now more of a bad Dr. Evil nodge to me.

But thanks again for reading it and the feedback!
    Seano wrote: »
    Here's my cursory treatment: instead of a Blofeld escape, he is allowed to walk after threatening to dump all of SPECTRE's gleaned intelligence from Nine Eyes Wikileaks style. Blofeld disappears and SPECTRE is believed dead.

Three years later, Bond and Madeleine are living in Jamaica. Bond, bored, is drinking too much and suffering from health problems stemming from the depleted uranium shell in Skyfall. His friend, local fishing guide Fidele Barbey, convinces Bond to come with him on a job working for a obnoxious Englishman named Milton Krest who is looking for a fish not seen in the area in the last 30 years,

When they board the Wavekrest, Bond discovers that Krest is actually Mallory. Mallory needs Bond to take on a personal mission. Mallory's niece disappeared from a remote Japanese experimental medical clinic (one of 12 such disappearances over the last two years). Little is known about the American woman and Swiss man who are the medical masterminds behind the clinic. The Japanese Secret Service -- sensitive to the extensive amount of foreign investment the clinic has pumped into a poor fishing village -- is looking the other way. Using the depleted uranium shell injury as cover, Mallory has arranged for Bond to be admitted to the clinic for purposes of trying to determine what is going on.

Upon arriving in Japan, Bond is intercepted by Tiger Tanaka, who has correctly deduced that the arrival of a former Double-O in his country may mean there may be mayhem ahead. Tanaka -- offended by his government's indifference -- fills Bond in on the clinic's "Garden of Death" that may be responsible for the disappearances, and gives Bond the implicit OK to do what he needs to do in order to prevent the clinic from operating further.

At the clinic, Bond begins his radical treatment -- which weakens him further initially -- while he snoops around and discovers that the clinic, in addition to its legitimate research -- is developing a hazardous biotoxin that would make many essential varieties of grains and animals infertile, essentially wiping out the world's food supply.

A weakened Bond infiltrates the Garden of Death (and he sees a few gruesome deaths along the way) and reaches the castle where the doctors -- who, of course, prove to be Irma Bunt and Blofeld -- live. Blofeld, though, has gone quite mad, using his drill technique from Spectre not as a means of punishment but rather as a way to give the brain a "tune-up". Bunt and Blofeld taunt Bond with their knowledge that he has been known to them all along, and they show him proof that after he came to the clinic, they had Madeleine killed in Jamaica.

Bond engages both in hand-to-hand combat, sending Bunt presumably falling to her death from the top floor of the castle and choking out Blofeld. He then triggers the castle to explode by sabotaging the heating system based on the underground geyser and escapes by clinging to a weather balloon that floats away as the castle explodes. The explosion sends Bond crashing into the ocean, and we see his body wash ashore -- battered but alive -- as the credits roll.

Just out of curiosity, Seano, were you posting this treatment at FanFiction.net under the title "Shatterhand?"
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    @Seano your fanficiton's interpretation of Fidele Barbey sounds like a more PC version of Quarrel
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 90
    Like the idea of Irma Bunt.
  • SeanoSeano Minnesota. No, it's not always cold.
    coco1997 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, Seano, were you posting this treatment at FanFiction.net under the title "Shatterhand?"

Yes, slowly working through it there.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2016 Posts: 5,979
    I like your treatment a lot:
    Seano wrote: »
    The explosion sends Bond crashing into the ocean, and we see his body wash ashore -- battered but alive -- as the credits roll.

On the beach, Bond suddenly feels a mouth on his. He coughs up water. He sees a striking woman in a bikini slowly come into focus above him.

Bond: "I must be dreaming. Who are you?"

Woman: "Suzuki. Kissy Suzuki. And you are?"

Bond (long beat): "I don't remember."

Smash to credits. Give Craig a bit of a happy ending. :)
    What we do know if they get DC back for the the bond films then waltz will be back
    plus the regulars .Sam Mendez won't be back which mean new directors for bond films and they
    will have there own ideas which direction the films will take. If DC won't be back then waltz will not be coming back and they will have to find someone else to replace both them. And that will be start of a new bond era and the actor who takes over will have there own idea on bond.
    We don't know anything. We're guessing and/or hoping.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    We don't know anything. We're guessing and/or hoping.

Even Mendes isn't a confirmation at this point, as he's said the same old stuff before and ended up doing SP anyway. It's all a toss up and a guessing game at this point.

• edited January 2016 Posts: 2,491
    To sorta quote myself after seeing Spectre for the 2nd time in cinema
    dragonsky wrote: »

Also watching this movie I came to conclusion that the best Bond movies are when Bond is sharing screen time with the villains.

GF and OHMSS are considered the best movies. CR same. SF is considered this too by many people. LTK too. In all these movies Bond shares a lot of time with the villains.

Maybe that's why I really like AVTAK.

btw here's my idea for B25. I want to hear what you guys think.

Marked as spoiler cause it's too big of a text

PTS:

Bond is chilling in Austria with Swann.
    Tanner visits Bond in his paradise. They chat for a while and it is revealed that Tanner is the only person that knows where Bond is as he tried to distance himself from MI6 and be alone with Swann. Bond lives in some cabin on the snowy mountains and there's no one around him so he's basically in paradise.
    Bond goes to bring wood for the cabin (which implies that Bond is now a "common man" when he sees something strange, he thinks it's someone following him but he dismisses the idea.
    He comes back in the cabin saying "Tanner you were right I still have some spy traits left, I was paranoid and thought I saw someone in the woods."
    He turns around the sofa Tanner is sitting and sees that Tanner has his throat slit.

He starts spriting trying to find Swann and he sees that some people grabbed her.
    We have a badass ski chase with Bond killing most of the people but the main henchman of the story who has Swann knocked out and in his arms. The henchman gets in hellicopter and leaves Bond alone.

Story:

So after his friend dead and his partner/whatever taken Bond goes back to MI6 begging M for help.
    Bond describes the henchman (I need a name for him...can we call him..idk Walter..placeholder name cause i'm tired of writing henchman) and Moneyepenny tells him that the guy's name is Walter and he can find him he can find him in Argentina, where he runs a cocaine business.

So Bond goes to Argentina, and interupts an exchange (cocaine for money). He shoots and kills some guys while some escape. Bond doesn't care about the cocaine as he grabs one guy that's been hit and asks him where he can find Walter. He gets an answer that he can be found in Barcelona where he's living and runs the business from there, away from the hell and he just sends people to collect the money for him.

Bond goes to Spain and there he low key follows Walter to his home. Walter notices him there and they eventually have a fist fight there. Bond ends up with a pointed gun to Walter's head asking him where's Swann. But...out of nowhere group of people enter the house and all point guns at Bond. So all these people take Bond and take him somewhere.

Now Bond is in location unknown. Somewhere in the Bahamas. Here bond meets the villain of the story. James Johnson. A sharped dress american. Basically Jon Hamm from Mad Men but younger.
    JJ (it's easier to type) tells Bond that today is his last lucky day for the rest of his life. He will be alive. But from tomorrow he'll wish he was dead.

Basically JJ wants Bond to suffer.

That's why the next day JJ and Bond travel to London. JJ puts explosives on Bond and tells him to go to MI6. If he doesn't do so he will kill Swann in front of Bond. He has to make a choice - killing people in MI6 he never knew or seeing his loved one suffer in front of him.

Bond goes to MI6 where he talks with M. The timer on the bomb ticks on. Eventually Q comes and helps Bond defuse the Bomb with few seconds to go. However in that moment JJ walks in and starts shooting people in the building. Bond,M and Q escape somehow while JJ grabs Moneypenny.

But not all is lost. Bond says that while JJ wasn't looking he somehow put a tracker on JJ's helicopter.

So Bond follows JJ while M and Q follow him from London.

Bond goes to some deserted island where the tracker says JJ is. He arrives there and eventually find JJ alone. JJ tells Bond that he shouldn't be too fast with shooting him. JJ has 2 buttons in his hands. He can push both buttons at same time and both Moneypenny and Swann will be dead. Bond has 5 minutes to find both of them. After the time passes both will die from the explosion (JJ put explosive vests on both of them, in case you couldn't tell he loves vests).

Bond runs through this island trying to find both women. Eventually he finds Moneypenny with 2 mins to go. They both try to find Swann. Bond rushes through entire island but suddenly is interupted by big explosion. He failed to save Swann. She is dead.

Bond all angry and devastated goes back to London with Moneypenny.

Then Bond gets a video mail from JJ. JJ tells him that if Bond wants him so much he should come to a certain place in London where there's no one near ( i am not from England so idk what place is like this). He wants to turn in but he shouldn't tell anyone.

Bond goes there and they have a back and forth banter. JJ tells him that Bond is actually his idol. That James (huh, what irony he has same name as Bond), wanted to be like him all his life. How did James Johnson knew Bond? Because many years ago, while Bond had some (non film) mission in USA he killed his father in front of him. Since that moment he turned to the "dark side" and wanted Bond to know what it's like to see someone die in front of him. Someone that meant the whole world to them.
    Bond sarcastically says that even though he killed Tanner and Swann he didn't succeed in doing that in front of his eyes, to which JJ replies with "Yet".

JJ turns himself in and as they walk together he tells Bond that in mean time while they were talking about all of this the members of his organization released his leader from prison.
    -Your organization?
    -Oh yes..haven't I told you? I'm a member of a little organization you may have heard of. It's name is SPECTRE.

So which one will it be Bond? You have another choice. Turn me in to jail or try to stop the saving of Blofeld. You don't have much time left.

It's a hard choice but Bond leaves JJ, and rushes to the prison where Blofeld is being helped to escape.
    We have another action scene as Bond fights in the prison with the SPECTRE members. He sees Blofeld running away and he chases after him. Eventually he shoots Blofeld in his leg just as he's about to enter the helicopter and escape. He has 2 more bullets left. When....on the other side JJ comes with..Swann. Apparently only Moneypenny was on that island and JJ only wanted to believe Swann was dead.
    He holds a gun to her head.

Another choice Bond. You have 2 bullets left. Which one will it be? I doubt you're that effective?
    After some tension building Bond hits one headshot to JJ. He drops dead. Then he turns to Blofeld. Will he miss? He only has one shot. Just as he's about to shoot Blofeld says something. 'Good job Madeline. I knew you would do well. Don't worry about James, he's expendable...it seems all James's are expendable in the end'. Bond finds out from Blofeld that she's brainwashed. He is vague with him "Well maybe my organization brainwashed her in Morroco, maybe we brainwashed her in London, maybe we brainwashed her in Austria? Maybe her love to you was all an act and we told her that?'

Bond tries to talk some sense into Swann. "This isn't you..I know...trust me..they drilled my head to..I don't know what he said is real and what isn't but put that gun down".

After some tension Bond sees the look in Swann's eyes and just as she's about to shoot he shoots her. He had no choice. The only bullet left was for his valentine (heh). Blofeld looks at all this and he smiles as he escapes. James Johnson is dead. Tanner is dead. Swann is dead. Blofeld is free and alive. He killed the main villain. But at what cost?

He goes back to MI6 as the killer he once was. He's the worn out man just like in the books.

In the end of the movie we see Bond coming back home. When suddenly he is attacked by Walter (the henchman from the beggining). They fight and Bond throws him from the balcony to his inevitable death.

I think this is sort of a "Empire strikes back" for Bond. Bond wins all in SPECTRE. Bond loses all in B25. Then in B26 Craig hopefully goes out with a win.

• OmegaXOmegaX Singapore
    To sorta quote myself after seeing Spectre for the 2nd time in cinema

Also watching this movie I came to conclusion that the best Bond movies are when Bond is sharing screen time with the villains.

GF and OHMSS are considered the best movies. CR same. SF is considered this too by many people. LTK too. In all these movies Bond shares a lot of time with the villains.

Maybe that's why I really like AVTAK.

btw here's my idea for B25. I want to hear what you guys think.

Marked as spoiler cause it's too big of a text

PTS:

Bond is chilling in Austria with Swann.
    Tanner visits Bond in his paradise. They chat for a while and it is revealed that Tanner is the only person that knows where Bond is as he tried to distance himself from MI6 and be alone with Swann. Bond lives in some cabin on the snowy mountains and there's no one around him so he's basically in paradise.
    Bond goes to bring wood for the cabin (which implies that Bond is now a "common man" when he sees something strange, he thinks it's someone following him but he dismisses the idea.
    He comes back in the cabin saying "Tanner you were right I still have some spy traits left, I was paranoid and thought I saw someone in the woods."
    He turns around the sofa Tanner is sitting and sees that Tanner has his throat slit.

He starts spriting trying to find Swann and he sees that some people grabbed her.
    We have a badass ski chase with Bond killing most of the people but the main henchman of the story who has Swann knocked out and in his arms. The henchman gets in hellicopter and leaves Bond alone.

Story:

So after his friend dead and his partner/whatever taken Bond goes back to MI6 begging M for help.
    Bond describes the henchman (I need a name for him...can we call him..idk Walter..placeholder name cause i'm tired of writing henchman) and Moneyepenny tells him that the guy's name is Walter and he can find him he can find him in Argentina, where he runs a cocaine business.

So Bond goes to Argentina, and interupts an exchange (cocaine for money). He shoots and kills some guys while some escape. Bond doesn't care about the cocaine as he grabs one guy that's been hit and asks him where he can find Walter. He gets an answer that he can be found in Barcelona where he's living and runs the business from there, away from the hell and he just sends people to collect the money for him.

Bond goes to Spain and there he low key follows Walter to his home. Walter notices him there and they eventually have a fist fight there. Bond ends up with a pointed gun to Walter's head asking him where's Swann. But...out of nowhere group of people enter the house and all point guns at Bond. So all these people take Bond and take him somewhere.

Now Bond is in location unknown. Somewhere in the Bahamas. Here bond meets the villain of the story. James Johnson. A sharped dress american. Basically Jon Hamm from Mad Men but younger.
    JJ (it's easier to type) tells Bond that today is his last lucky day for the rest of his life. He will be alive. But from tomorrow he'll wish he was dead.

Basically JJ wants Bond to suffer.

That's why the next day JJ and Bond travel to London. JJ puts explosives on Bond and tells him to go to MI6. If he doesn't do so he will kill Swann in front of Bond. He has to make a choice - killing people in MI6 he never knew or seeing his loved one suffer in front of him.

Bond goes to MI6 where he talks with M. The timer on the bomb ticks on. Eventually Q comes and helps Bond defuse the Bomb with few seconds to go. However in that moment JJ walks in and starts shooting people in the building. Bond,M and Q escape somehow while JJ grabs Moneypenny.

But not all is lost. Bond says that while JJ wasn't looking he somehow put a tracker on JJ's helicopter.

So Bond follows JJ while M and Q follow him from London.

Bond goes to some deserted island where the tracker says JJ is. He arrives there and eventually find JJ alone. JJ tells Bond that he shouldn't be too fast with shooting him. JJ has 2 buttons in his hands. He can push both buttons at same time and both Moneypenny and Swann will be dead. Bond has 5 minutes to find both of them. After the time passes both will die from the explosion (JJ put explosive vests on both of them, in case you couldn't tell he loves vests).

Bond runs through this island trying to find both women. Eventually he finds Moneypenny with 2 mins to go. They both try to find Swann. Bond rushes through entire island but suddenly is interupted by big explosion. He failed to save Swann. She is dead.

Bond all angry and devastated goes back to London with Moneypenny.

Then Bond gets a video mail from JJ. JJ tells him that if Bond wants him so much he should come to a certain place in London where there's no one near ( i am not from England so idk what place is like this). He wants to turn in but he shouldn't tell anyone.

Bond goes there and they have a back and forth banter. JJ tells him that Bond is actually his idol. That James (huh, what irony he has same name as Bond), wanted to be like him all his life. How did James Johnson knew Bond? Because many years ago, while Bond had some (non film) mission in USA he killed his father in front of him. Since that moment he turned to the "dark side" and wanted Bond to know what it's like to see someone die in front of him. Someone that meant the whole world to them.
    Bond sarcastically says that even though he killed Tanner and Swann he didn't succeed in doing that in front of his eyes, to which JJ replies with "Yet".

JJ turns himself in and as they walk together he tells Bond that in mean time while they were talking about all of this the members of his organization released his leader from prison.
    -Your organization?
    -Oh yes..haven't I told you? I'm a member of a little organization you may have heard of. It's name is SPECTRE.

So which one will it be Bond? You have another choice. Turn me in to jail or try to stop the saving of Blofeld. You don't have much time left.

It's a hard choice but Bond leaves JJ, and rushes to the prison where Blofeld is being helped to escape.
    We have another action scene as Bond fights in the prison with the SPECTRE members. He sees Blofeld running away and he chases after him. Eventually he shoots Blofeld in his leg just as he's about to enter the helicopter and escape. He has 2 more bullets left. When....on the other side JJ comes with..Swann. Apparently only Moneypenny was on that island and JJ only wanted to believe Swann was dead.
    He holds a gun to her head.

Another choice Bond. You have 2 bullets left. Which one will it be? I doubt you're that effective?
    After some tension building Bond hits one headshot to JJ. He drops dead. Then he turns to Blofeld. Will he miss? He only has one shot. Just as he's about to shoot Blofeld says something. 'Good job Madeline. I knew you would do well. Don't worry about James, he's expendable...it seems all James's are expendable in the end'. Bond finds out from Blofeld that she's brainwashed. He is vague with him "Well maybe my organization brainwashed her in Morroco, maybe we brainwashed her in London, maybe we brainwashed her in Austria? Maybe her love to you was all an act and we told her that?'

Bond tries to talk some sense into Swann. "This isn't you..I know...trust me..they drilled my head to..I don't know what he said is real and what isn't but put that gun down".

After some tension Bond sees the look in Swann's eyes and just as she's about to shoot he shoots her. He had no choice. The only bullet left was for his valentine (heh). Blofeld looks at all this and he smiles as he escapes. James Johnson is dead. Tanner is dead. Swann is dead. Blofeld is free and alive. He killed the main villain. But at what cost?

He goes back to MI6 as the killer he once was. He's the worn out man just like in the books.

In the end of the movie we see Bond coming back home. When suddenly he is attacked by Walter (the henchman from the beggining). They fight and Bond throws him from the balcony to his inevitable death.

I think this is sort of a "Empire strikes back" for Bond. Bond wins all in SPECTRE. Bond loses all in B25. Then in B26 Craig hopefully goes out with a win.

Great story @dragonsky! Loved how it started off as an original "mission" story before weaving in the Blofeld thread, and also the many deaths in it too =P (although I would miss Tanner...),as I also agree that Bond should suffer in Bond 25. The main villain's "evil plan" is also very nicely done despite its simplicity too! =)
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Yesterday my Dutch hero Max Verstappen did a truly amazing demonstration of his Red Bull Formula 1 Car. And I have to say....this could be worthy stuff for a Bond film. It's especially great when you have the track "Snow Plane" playing in the background :-D! Damn, I would die for a Bond film where Bond drives such a Formula One Buggy :-D:

Yesterday my Dutch hero Max Verstappen did a truly amazing demonstration of his Red Bull Formula 1 Car. And I have to say....this could be worthy stuff for a Bond film. It's especially great when you have the track "Snow Plane" playing in the background :-D! Damn, I would die for a Bond film where Bond drives such a Formula One Buggy :-D:

Wow!! I can barely walk on snow ..much less drive a rocket :)
    I want Bond in America again. Chasing Blofeld down who has murdered Madeleine. Perhaps the return of Felix and Kincaide.
  • I originally was against the idea, but thinking back on it, I would love to see a movie set back in the Cold War. Some may call it regressive as Bond movies have always been set in the time period they were released, but I just think it is a perfect era for spy films, along with being the era when the Fleming novels were set. This is why I think From Russia with Love is one of the best Bond films, as it really feels like Bond is operating in a world of spies, with a more complex but believable and realistic plan by Spectre.
  • OmegaXOmegaX Singapore
    I originally was against the idea, but thinking back on it, I would love to see a movie set back in the Cold War. Some may call it regressive as Bond movies have always been set in the time period they were released, but I just think it is a perfect era for spy films, along with being the era when the Fleming novels were set. This is why I think From Russia with Love is one of the best Bond films, as it really feels like Bond is operating in a world of spies, with a more complex but believable and realistic plan by Spectre.

Hmm...this reminds me a bit of the Sherlock special the Abominable Bride, which is set in the 19th century (I think =P) in a series which features Sherlock in the 21st century. This is surely an interesting concept, but I think after all the DC movies which are set now in this era, I would imagine that this would be met with a fair bit of criticism. Dont get me wrong, I love spy movies set in the past, like Man from UNCLE, but I feel that it would not be received that well when applied to Bond.

About the complex realistic and believable plan by SPECTRE, I believe thats what we all want, but after my experience writing my own version of Bond 25, it is really very hard coming up with an original one nowadays, as there had been so many films featuring evil plots nowadays. But yea, cool evil plans ftw! :D
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 16

As long as the next film is "evil plan" focused, as opposed to Bond/other characters personal lives and history being the main plot.

• OmegaX wrote: »
    I originally was against the idea, but thinking back on it, I would love to see a movie set back in the Cold War. Some may call it regressive as Bond movies have always been set in the time period they were released, but I just think it is a perfect era for spy films, along with being the era when the Fleming novels were set. This is why I think From Russia with Love is one of the best Bond films, as it really feels like Bond is operating in a world of spies, with a more complex but believable and realistic plan by Spectre.

Hmm...this reminds me a bit of the Sherlock special the Abominable Bride, which is set in the 19th century (I think =P) in a series which features Sherlock in the 21st century. This is surely an interesting concept, but I think after all the DC movies which are set now in this era, I would imagine that this would be met with a fair bit of criticism. Dont get me wrong, I love spy movies set in the past, like Man from UNCLE, but I feel that it would not be received that well when applied to Bond.

About the complex realistic and believable plan by SPECTRE, I believe thats what we all want, but after my experience writing my own version of Bond 25, it is really very hard coming up with an original one nowadays, as there had been so many films featuring evil plots nowadays. But yea, cool evil plans ftw! :D

As long as the next film is "evil plan" focused, as opposed to Bond/other characters personal lives and history being the main plot.

When the new bond era starts with new bond it could be set in 1960's using Flemings short stories and books like col sun and trigger Mortis , devil may care and all the other post Fleming books could be used for stories. Also the missions can sort take before and after certain films .
    For one film can be set after Dr no and before Russia from love and next one can set after
    goldfinger and just before thunderball and so on you could have a film set before Dr No .
    Also set in the 1960's you can the Cold War , spectre , KGB , SMERSH . The recent man from uncle and x-men first class were both set era and they both worked.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Too much to hope for. Not when Eon is in charge.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    edited January 2016 Posts: 153
    It might be interesting to do Bond films (or books) set at a particular moment in history and create a story around it - say, Bond's role in the Cuban missile crisis, or in the raising of the iron curtain in the late 80s/90s, the JFK conspiracy or even a controversial take on the lead up to the invasion of Iraq. I've always fancied a Bond movie where he has a political mission - to trigger a revolution, stop a coup or uncover or even cover up corruption. I had a feeling they might go that way with the fictional country whose embassy was shot up in CR, and that it would be that rogue state that would be the subject of QOS or the next one.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2016 Posts: 5,979
    gumbolt wrote: »
    It might be interesting to do Bond films (or books) set at a particular moment in history and create a story around it - say, Bond's role in the Cuban missile crisis, or in the raising of the iron curtain in the late 80s/90s, the JFK conspiracy or even a controversial take on the lead up to the invasion of Iraq. I've always fancied a Bond movie where he has a political mission - to trigger a revolution, stop a coup or uncover or even cover up corruption. I had a feeling they might go that way with the fictional country whose embassy was shot up in CR, and that it would be that rogue state that would be the subject of QOS or the next one.

It's a tightrope for Eon to walk with politics.

If they use actual politics, they either risk (1) insulting countries with lucrative box office (like China, hence why North Korea is the villain du jour--no box office there)--compare that to TMWTGG and the "Red Chinese" villains (the films weren't distributed there then, so Eon didn't care) or (2) eventually making the film dated (TLD and the proto-Taliban).

If they make up fictional countries, they risk throwing the audience out of the movie. Half the time I wonder where/what "San Monique" would really be; I guess it's pretty clear that "Isthmus" is Panama-manque.

I prefer the approach of the OP PTS. It is clearly meant to be Cuba, but it is never stated. I'm not sure they could pull off that dance for a location for an entire movie, though.

Cubby/Maibaum were smart in the '60s. SPECTRE was the perfect non-political, political-seeming villain, as it played the West and Russia against one another.

I'm hoping that whoever writes/directs Bond 25 gives us more Fleming. YOLT is the obvious choice now that Blofeld is back in play. I wouldn't mind if they rebooted most of those characters (Tanaka, Henderson, Suzuki) because they weren't that memorable the first time around. And who doesn't want to see Bond return to Japan?
    The issue I have with Bond being a period peice if Fleming NEVER intended his character be set in a certain time period. Not only in the books (mentioning Ursula Andress in On Her Majesties Secret Service setting the book at least in 1963 when I believe it was released) but when EON asked should they set Dr. No in the 50's Fleming said no and to keep making the films "of the times" and yet both IFP and some fans want to ignore that detective whole sale. Personally if It's good enough for Fleming for 007 to be always in the current era then it's good enough for me.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,619
    First of all, they should do a soft reboot. Meaning new actors and not acknowledging what happened before, but at the same time not doing a story about Bond's first mission again. In other words: an established (although still relatively young) Bond, who does not have the exact same backstory Craig's Bond or any of the previous Bonds did.

Second, they should write a smaller scale story and make a smaller scale Bond film. I'm not talking about a low budget Bond film, but a Bond movie with a budget of 80 to 100 million instead of 150 to 200 million USD. Third, the writers should focus on the CHARACTERS rather than the plot. I want an extremely simple plot with VERY complex and interesting characters and not the other way around. The Mi5, Mi6, Nine Eyes stuff in Spectre was BORING. Lets focus on Bond and the characters (mainly the main villain and the main girl).

Fourth, no personal stuff. And no, I don't want to see a Bond on a regular mission movie without any drama. I do want drama, but the drama should come from what's happening in the movie and not from Bond's past. Sixth, NO MORE THAN THREE main locations (including London). In Spectre, we spent about 15 minutes in Rome and 10 minutes in Austria. The movie simply had WAY to many locations. Fewer locations = less money spent and more time spent at each location. It's a WIN-WIN. Seventh, please don't start pre-production before you have a FINISHED screenplay everybody (the writer, the producers and the director) is 100% satisfied with. Spectre proved that nobody can save a messy screenplay, not even Sam Mendes.

Some specific ideas: an asexual Bond girl, who can be very sexual when the mission requires it. A female main villain, who is about 5 years older than 007. Bond's initial mission is to seduce her and get close to her. It would be a twist on the usual femme fatale bad girl seducing Bond. The villain falls madly in love with Bond and once she discovers that Bond is an agent and has absolutely no feelings for her, you have your conflict and drama.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @PanchitoPistoles, I'm wondering now if we'll get a much smaller budget for the next one, since SP cost so much to film and didn't rake in as much as SF did. I hope so, because I'm really interested in seeing them go back to it. Makes for some different scenes.
  • RC7RC7
    Third, the writers should focus on the CHARACTERS rather than the plot. I want an extremely simple plot with VERY complex and interesting characters and not the other way around. The Mi5, Mi6, Nine Eyes stuff in Spectre was BORING. Lets focus on Bond and the characters (mainly the main villain and the main girl).

Seventh, please don't start pre-production before you have a FINISHED screenplay.

The plot is wafer thin in SF and SP. It's about story and character. I'd actually prefer a film that had an intricate plot, balanced with great character work.

As for 'finished' screenplays, they never are.