Feedback and Suggestions V2

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    QBranch wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Edit: Well it's a shame that photo uploads and pdf support was removed. It was a beautiful 15 seconds.
    Easy come, easy go.
    It's still here, isn't it?
    The function for uploading files directly from our PC is gone.

Yep we're back to just embedding photo links. No direct uploads.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Very well. There's probably a perfectly solid technical reason for that.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Very well. There's probably a perfectly solid technical reason for that.

I have always assumed that MI6 doesn’t want to end up being held responsible for someone uploading a copyrighted image, especially one belonging to EON. I imagine embedding an image hosted by another site doesn’t carry the same liability as hosting it yourself. Also, images take a lot more data to store than plain text (including the text of embedded image links). I doubt the owner of this site wants to pay for more server space to store all of our random images.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    PDF upload test. Took about 2+ minutes to load 14mb.

Thank you for that.

I still buy video game magazines. Reading an ever-changing website doesn't offer the same experience. Same with newspapers.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    My tip of the hat to the mods for finally getting these back! :D But is there only supposed to be 16?
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 1,395
    I'm getting flashbacks to March 2011, the last forum update :# all looks pretty well though!
    Edit: Looks like the makeover only affects the mobile site.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    It looks so modern this place
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Gotta say though, I'm not a fan of the new mobile site. The old version of the mobile site was easier to navigate.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I failed to log in three times now. Managed to do so on fourth attempt. Got anything to do with this?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    it seems the light blue background for one's own comments has vanished. I find it comfortable to see my last posting immediately within a thread, but now I have to look for my screen name and/or avatar instead. Could someone please reinstate that "colour enhancement"?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    ...and probably a very dumb question: How do I find the "mobile site"? I've been wanting to occasionally access the forum on my mobile for a while, but doing it via Chrome felt too complicated, actually.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    it seems the light blue background for one's own comments has vanished. I find it comfortable to see my last posting immediately within a thread, but now I have to look for my screen name and/or avatar instead. Could someone please reinstate that "colour enhancement"?

I've noticed the same thing, I miss that. And I surmise the mobile site is simply the site being accessed via a mobile phone. If there's an app for it, I've never seen it.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,803
    ...and probably a very dumb question: How do I find the "mobile site"? I've been wanting to occasionally access the forum on my mobile for a while, but doing it via Chrome felt too complicated, actually.

There should be a link down near the bottom of the screen that you simply click to get the mobile site. It should still be there, even after the update.

When you click on this button it immediately changes you over to the mobile version of the site. You may have to do this every so often as it changes back again eventually, but it's easily fixed at the touch of a button.

I miss this too. One change on the mobile site that I really don’t like is that all discussions (read and unread) are now the same color. I found the graying out of threads that I’ve read useful for telling which threads I’m caught up on and which ones have new posts. Now I have to look for the little badge that shows however many new posts there are.
    What does the warned feature under name mean?
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    I don't see that under your name but I see Warned (1) below dragonpol's username.
    It's a unique thing with his account, for some odd reason - been there for years, even though he has no official warnings for his account. I've honestly no clue how it got there in the first place, as the only thing that's ever made public is when someone is banned/suspended.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's a unique thing with his account, for some odd reason - been there for years, even though he has no official warnings for his account. I've honestly no clue how it got there in the first place, as the only thing that's ever made public is when someone is banned/suspended.
    Prior to being a moderator, I definitely remember being able to view if members had been warned.
    It's been a few years for me, so I guess I was wrong. It's certainly not something I recall seeing in the past in any account aside from his, including the accounts of members who were warned.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I don't see that under your name but I see Warned (1) below dragonpol's username.

@ShakenNotStirred that's what I meant
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 677
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Cleaned out the "Warning" labels. A hang over from another era.
    EDIT: I'm slowly seeing buttons for these functions appearing in a few threads. Looks like the update is rolling out gradually?

We didn't immediately enable the new mobile theme that comes as stock standard. But you should have access to quotes and spoilers under the Paragraph tag (like a reverse P with a line on the right).
    it seems the light blue background for one's own comments has vanished.

Didn't anticipate how popular this would be – it seems that the hook to apply style to your own posts was removed from the core software. We might be able to reintroduce it if there was a groundswell of enthusiasm.
    I have always assumed that MI6 doesn’t want to end up being held responsible for someone uploading a copyrighted image, especially one belonging to EON. I imagine embedding an image hosted by another site doesn’t carry the same liability as hosting it yourself. Also, images take a lot more data to store than plain text (including the text of embedded image links). I doubt the owner of this site wants to pay for more server space to store all of our random images.

You surmise correctly. What gets hosted on our service we are potentially liable for, not to mention the price of hosting thousands of megabytes goodies. I'm sorry that it went live (overlooked by our small team of QAers) with a feature we had to redact and disappoint but for now we are leaving this off.
    Gotta say though, I'm not a fan of the new mobile site. The old version of the mobile site was easier to navigate.

Same. New mobile version is really unclear. The threads were much easier to find previously.
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    vzok wrote: »

Same. New mobile version is really unclear. The threads were much easier to find previously.

It's a trade off between comprehensive composition or simplicity for reading/navigating. Open to rolling back if people prefer the old mobile view.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited April 2019 Posts: 308
    I like the mobile view, instead of rolling back to the old theme, maybe a couple of minor CSS changes would go a long way.

For example, for making the new notifications label stand out a bit more:
    .HasNew.NewCommentCount {
        background-color: yellow !important;
        color: #555a62 !important;
        border-color: #555a62 !important;
    }

Edit:

For the desktop version, but this not so important, I would maybe add this very simple thing, that would make a more visible distinction between navigation and content.
    #content {
        box-shadow: 0 1px 0 0 rgba(0,0,0,.05), 0 1px 2px 0 rgba(0,0,0,.05), 0 10px 20px 0 rgba(0,0,0,.05);
        padding: 20px;
    }

That would result in this:
    Schermafbeelding-2019-04-23-om-11-22-27.png
  • 007_MJH007_MJH Lancashire, UK
    edited April 2019 Posts: 35
    Hello

Could anyone please advise me on the best way to upload an image with a post I wish to make?

My thanks in advance.

Edit: My apologies, I have just seen a post below that looks like it will help me.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    007_MJH wrote: »
    Hello

Could anyone please advise me on the best way to upload an image with a post I wish to make?

My thanks in advance.

You can use an image hosting site like for example imgbb.com. After uploading most sites will provide you with the code to add the image to your posts.

Or you can click the image icon in the editor and paste the URL.
  • 007_MJH007_MJH Lancashire, UK
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    007_MJH wrote: »
    Hello

My thanks in advance.

You can use an image hosting site like for example imgbb.com. After uploading most sites will provide you with the code to add the image to your posts.

Or you can click the image icon in the editor and paste the URL.

Thank you kindly.
    After having trouble signing in since the upgrade, I just found out that I now have to double click on the "sign in" field. Just putting it out there in case others have experienced the same. Probably a browser issue.
    After having trouble signing in since the upgrade, I just found out that I now have to double click on the "sign in" field. Just putting it out there in case others have experienced the same. Probably a browser issue.

Never mind that. This time it did not help, and took me eleven attempts to get logged in. Am I really the only one? Never had this problem before. Guess I will just stay logged in.

Never mind that. This time it did not help, and took me eleven attempts to get logged in. Am I really the only one? Never had this problem before. Guess I will just stay logged in.

I always stay logged in, but I’m having a problem that seems related. Often, when I try to view my notifications, it says “Invalid CSRF token. Please try again.” I have to reload the page to get it to work.
    MI6 wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »

It's a trade off between comprehensive composition or simplicity for reading/navigating. Open to rolling back if people prefer the old mobile view.

I would be in favor of that. I much prefer the old mobile site.