Feedback and Suggestions V2

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Am I right in thinking that there used to be threads with polls here back in the early days of MI6 Community (March 2011 onwards)? I remember seeing such threads here. The forum seems to have lost the feature for creating polls however.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that there used to be threads with polls here back in the early days of MI6 Community (March 2011 onwards)? I remember seeing such threads here. The forum seems to have lost the feature for creating polls however.

It got frowned up as it was being abused and members were making polls about stupid things.

The way I would work it ,is that polls are allowed but inaccessible, unless the member contacts a mod first for confirmation it is suitable for the site.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

It got frowned up as it was being abused and members were making polls about stupid things.

The way I would work it ,is that polls are allowed but inaccessible, unless the member contacts a mod first for confirmation it is suitable for the site.

Yes, assuming the software for making polls is there, that could be a way around it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I wouldn't mind them returning, provided there was a way they weren't abused. Could always talk to the admins about implementing it again, but keeping it all within reason (i.e. not having everyone rush to open up some niche poll that won't attract many votes).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind them returning, provided there was a way they weren't abused. Could always talk to the admins about implementing it again, but keeping it all within reason (i.e. not having everyone rush to open up some niche poll that won't attract many votes).

Exactly @Creasy47 ,I think it would add interest to a lot of Bond topics to see polls in action,but maybe only a mod can open it, and then pass control to the member to carry on.

It would be great if you have a word with the 'Powers that be ' !!
    I'm sure outside polls would work, but as others have said, when we try that there's a lot of cheating and abuse, which is pretty pathetic for something as insignificant as a poll that's meant to be fun and engaging. I'll look into it!
    I'm sure outside polls would work, but as others have said, when we try that there's a lot of cheating and abuse, which is pretty pathetic for something as insignificant as a poll that's meant to be fun and engaging. I'll look into it!

Cheers buddy !!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You could have a couple on the front page, for the films and actors. maybe another for the theme songs or whatever? There are ways to make sure the same IP doesn t vote more than once. Not sure if it should be only for members who have logged in or anyone visiting the site. Start them afresh whenever a new film comes out.
    You could have a couple on the front page, for the films and actors. maybe another for the theme songs or whatever? There are ways to make sure the same IP doesn t vote more than once. Not sure if it should be only for members who have logged in or anyone visiting the site. Start them afresh whenever a new film comes out.

I'd suggest a limit of being a member for a week or two or something; no sense in doing it like a particular member used to where he'd pimp out votes by getting people to join just to vote and never participate again.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I would definitely appreciate that! It would be nice to continue my statistics thread and have some assurance that only members could vote, and only one vote per poll.
    I checked with an admin about it, will get back to you all with a response. If anything, it's not as easy, but we could always do something as simple as posting out vote in a given poll: someone proposes a question, and each qualified member gets one single vote, so that way, no exterior forces are cheating or messing up the results.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Sounds good...i just think the site needs something like this,its great for honest opinions from members,and creates discussion for the more reluctant,less chatty members to join in.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Don't forget, folks, @ 5am BST...

32718746077_d987089172_o.png
    SERVER MAINTENANCE?!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't want to be a party pooper, but all this means is that we are changing the bulbs in the toilets.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don't want to be a party pooper, but all this means is that we are changing the bulbs in the toilets.

Aha. Same currency circuit as your servers?
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    Does Bulbs mean emoticons? :D

edited April 2019 Posts: 3,000

Some observations about the new update.

The pros:

The forum now allows direct uploading of photos! This is a huge improvement!

Cleaner, sleeker looking comment box.

Emojis are back!

The cons:

The button for spoiler tags is gone. That’s going to be an issue in the Production Diary.

BBCode is no longer supported it seems. All the tricks for bolding, italicizing, etc are presumably gone.

I have no clue how quoting works anymore, and there are two quote buttons on mobile, neither of which work right for me.

Anyone else having these issues?

EDIT: I'm slowly seeing buttons for these functions appearing in a few threads. Looks like the update is rolling out gradually?

Testing underline function

Quoting still doesn’t work on mobile (this was supposed to quote @QBranch above). And the only buttons available to me are as follows:

No spoiler tags, emojis, or any other options.

The full array of options is available on desktop:

PDF upload test. Took about 2+ minutes to load 14mb.
    QBranch wrote: »
    PDF upload test. Took about 2+ minutes to load 14mb.

It worked! I was able to download and view without issue.

I noticed that everyone's profile now shows their location down to the city and there appears to be no way to disable this. This seems like a privacy concern. Edit: Looks like this was just corrected.

Uploaded photos are not always correctly oriented. I posted a photo of my cat in the Chat thread from my phone. On mobile, it's correctly oriented, but on desktop it's sideways.
    Full comment options are now available on mobile. Along with a totally new look!
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I appreciate the dark mode feature when typing, but would it be feasible to have it on the entire site? (Especially when scrolling through a thread.)
    It worked! I was able to download and view without issue.
    Nice one! The PDF's "full of bugs. You will be forced to upgrade for years."

To avoid this, direct uploading to MI6 is now disabled.
    Uploaded photos are not always correctly oriented. I posted a photo of my cat in the Chat thread from my phone. On mobile, it's correctly oriented, but on desktop it's sideways.
    Image orientation test:

47665928421_b62be5ce13_o.png
  • BennyBenny keeping tabs on youAdministrator, Moderator
    Full comment options are now available on mobile. Along with a totally new look!

Hope it's user friendly @BMW_with_missiles ?
    As with anything new it can take a bit of time, but our site admin do a great job in making sure the forums run as smooth as possible.
    Benny wrote: »

Hope it's user friendly @BMW_with_missiles ?
    As with anything new it can take a bit of time, but our site admin do a great job in making sure the forums run as smooth as possible.

Yes the features appear to be rolling out slowly and fixing the issues I was encountering. I'm adjusting and I really enjoy the new stuff. I never thought in a million years we'd get the ability to upload photos directly, and pdf support is awesome!

Edit: Well it's a shame that photo uploads and pdf support was removed. It was a beautiful 15 seconds.
    Edit: Well it's a shame that photo uploads and pdf support was removed. It was a beautiful 15 seconds.
    Easy come, easy go.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Easy come, easy go.

It's still here, isn't it?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Easy come, easy go.
    It's still here, isn't it?
    The function for uploading files directly from our PC is gone.