The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Oh that would be awesome!
  • Well you can just add me to the list of people who didn’t know that!!

F5oMvsM.jpg
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Some of you might remember my post half a year ago when John Krasinski's A Quiet Place came out and I said it was in part a bit of a rip-off of Bird Box by Josh Malerman, which I found superior. I believe Emily Blunt was offered the role in Bird Box before Sandra Bullock and turned it down. Next thing ya know, she’s starring in and producing her own knockoff. Well, here's your chance to see the trailer for the movie. I can see some things have been altered to try and distance itself from John Krasinski's movie, which is a tad disappointing. That said, I'm still curious to see how well Susanne Bier (The Night Manager) has managed to translate the book to film.

I'll post the Youtube link as it comes out blank when I post it.

https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=158&v=o2AsIXSh2xo
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondsum wrote: »
    Some of you might remember my post half a year ago when John Krasinski's A Quiet Place came out and I said it was in part a bit of a rip-off of Bird Box by Josh Malerman, which I found superior. I believe Emily Blunt was offered the role in Bird Box before Sandra Bullock and turned it down. Next thing ya know, she’s starring in and producing her own knockoff. Well, here's your chance to see the trailer for the movie. I can see some things have been altered to try and distance itself from John Krasinski's movie, which is a tad disappointing. That said, I'm still curious to see how well Susanne Bier (The Night Manager) has managed to translate the book to film.

I'll post the Youtube link as it comes out blank when I post it.

https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=158&v=o2AsIXSh2xo

Looks pretty good.
    I've just watched H40, folks! Loved every second of it. Pretty intense at times, well staged, bloody cool finale!
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 9,771
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I've just watched H40, folks! Loved every second of it. Pretty intense at times, well staged, bloody cool finale!

Is it the final film or is there going to be a sequel I haven’t seen it yet but I will

The Halloween franchise has always been kind of strange with me

I loved 1 and 2
    Hated 3
    Loved 4-7
    Hated 8
    Didn’t bother with either rob zombie film
    Loved the oringal idea for Halloween 3-d hope they film that one day
    Loved the trailer for the new one so I want to see it but is it the last one
    Risico007 wrote: »

Is it the final film or is there going to be a sequel I haven’t seen it yet but I will

I loved 1 and 2
    Hated 3
    Loved 4-7
    Hated 8

It's not going to be the final one by the looks of things. Not sure where they are going to take it from here, though.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    If I may just steer the conversation into Cult of Chucky for a moment, it just occurred to me that while I enjoyed it, I felt it had a significant shortcoming: no doubt because of its budget restrictions, the movie failed to create a proper sense of place. The film is set in this institution (a sizable enough one, given the establishing shot), but we apparently spend the entire film in just one floor, and not once do we see a large number of people, even if just passing by. Presumably this could lead to creating a sense of unease and isolation, but for me it just felt like direct-to-video money not being enough to portray the place properly on film. I was more bothered by this than I would've imagined. The older films have a very strong sense of place; they always establish their environments very vividly, since that's where the chases and deaths ensue when Chucky makes an entrance.
    Risico007 wrote: »

I loved 1 and 2
    Hated 3
    Loved 4-7
    Hated 8

It's not going to be the final one by the looks of things. Not sure where they are going to take it from here, though.

I think it's a pretty good ending but there are always a few things from the original they could address: what happened to the Myers house, what happened to Judith's boyfriend and to the Myers, etc.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Halloween: The Troubled history behind the franchise

Going to watch it as soon as possible.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,376
    Ludovico wrote: »

Going to watch it as soon as possible.

I am watching it now, I am very familiar with the series as I grew up in the 80,s, though there are many things discussed in the video I was not aware of.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 8,034
    I wrote my full thoughts on the new HALLOWEEN on Letterboxd. Oh, if anyone is on Letterboxd, lets connect!

https://letterboxd.com/craigmoore/film/halloween-2018/
    Halloween 1978 Retrospective

Jackals (2017)

A family rescue their son from a Jackal cult back to their cabin , but the cult come calling.
    Didn’t have much faith in this film but I really enjoyed it,atmospheric and spooky .

A very good home invasion film x leave your brain at the door and turn off the lights .
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The last movie I watched is ¿Quién puede matar a un niño? (Who Can Kill a Child?), a Spanish horror film released in 1976.

1027GR.JPG

This is very good and rather unnerving film. I definitely recommend watching it and hopefully going in with as little knowledge as possible.

For those who've seen it or don't care about spoilers, here are some more detailed thoughts:
    - The opening with the real-life footage might seem a bit heavy-handed at first, but it succeeds at creating intrigue and a sense of unease from the get go, as well as eventually strengthening the film's thematic ideas.

- The early scenes are set in the mainland, in the midst of a local celebration, so the streets are littered with people and bursting with activity (even in this jolly situation, the loud noise of the fireworks feel foreboding of the events to come). This creates a fantastic contrast to the later scenes set in the island, with barely anyone around. It also enhances this sense that in heading for the island along with the protagonists, we're venturing into the unknown, possibly never to return "home".

- There is nothing like horror in broad daylight, in seemingly idyllic surroundings, rather than creepy old houses in the middle of the night.

- While the potential motivations for the kids' behavior are strongly hinted at, I appreciate how there is no surefire explanation for what triggered said behavior. Being a biologist, Tom suggests it might have to do with some kind of instinct of natural selection, but otherwise things remain ambiguous.

- The scene with the kids playing pinata with the corpse of the old man works as a terrific little callback to the earlier pinata scene in the celebrations.

- While the film is certainly not without violence and bloodshed, there are several moments in which acts of cruelty and perversion are only hinted at, to great effect. The cheerful mood in which the children are when they go around slaying people is particularly unsettling.

- Bleak and depressing, but perfectly appropriate and satisfying ending.

- The film hints at the contrast between individual and group behavior in how individuals treat children as something that is almost sacred, while societies as a whole partake in situations which result in the death of many of them. Interesting idea.

- Lastly, the movie has some splendid acting courtesy of Lewis Fiander and Prunella Ransome.

I have been marathoning the Child’s Play/Chucky movies this month - first time watching any of them. Loved the first, liked the second, hated the third, thought Bride and Seed were okay/mixed. Curse and Cult remain for that marathon.

Also watched some other horror films I haven’t seen before like Don’t Look Now, Joy Ride, and The Invitation. Meant to go see the new Halloween, but pushed it to Halloween Day - fittingly. I’ll rewatch the original then see the new one in theaters.
    Hit off our annual horror month with the following:

10/1: The Ring (Verbinski's film--because it's been a while)
    10/2: Halloween (Carpenter's original--because the girlfriend hadn't seen it before)
    10/3: The Witch (Awesome film!)
    10/4: Hold The Dark (Not sure if it truly qualifies as horror but good stuff nevertheless.)
    10/5: Hereditary (Surprisingly good film though the "people are fainting" hype is tremendously exaggerated.)
    10/6: Murder Party (Saulnier's first film, ultra-low budget but rather funny.)

Update:

10/7: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose (a film I have fond memories of watching in theatres back in the day)
    10/8: Cabin Fever 2 (Sick, delirious gore-fest but such a deliciously entertaining film)
    10/9: Ju-On The Grudge & Ju-On The Grudge 2 (I absolutely love these two Japanese classics!)
    10/10: Dagon (Odd but highly recommendable Lovecraft adaptation)

10/11: The Fog (Carpenter's original--an underrated achievement)
    10/12: The Love Witch (Magnificent feminist horror comedy, but then more comedy than horror, something that holds the middle between your standard 60s Hammer horror and The Room if you can believe it.)
    10/13: Spring (Surprisingly brilliant little Lovecraftian horror film)
    10/14: Wicked City (Japanimation horror classic)

Update:

10/15: Desolation & The Endless (Double feature from the guys who made Spring. Excellent cosmic horror, like David Lynch telling a Lovecraftian story.)
    10/16: A Nightmare On Elm Street (Because I'm a huge Freddy Krueger fan. I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy.)
    10/17: Prom Night (Jamie Lee Curtis in an average slasher flick. The sequel, Hello Mary-Lou, Prom Night 2 is a lot more entertaining but I wanted to get ready for the new Halloween by watching another JLC flick.)
    10/18: Invasion Of The Body Snatchers x 2 (Siegel's original & Kaufman's remake. I love both very much.)
    10/19: Victor Crowley (Never been too big a fan of the Hatchet series but VC has good comedy and a few interesting moments.)

Next update:

10/20: Freddy's Revenge & The Dream Warriors (Because I've gotten the girlfriend interested in the sequels.)
    10/21: Re-Animator 1, 2 & 3 (Juicy!)
    10/22: Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Army of Darkness, The Evil Dead 2013 (And I really like that 2013 film!)
    10/23: Killer Klowns From Outer Space (not exactly my thing but I can nostalgically appreciate this film.)
    10/24: Halloween 2018 (The first film in the series that can proudly walk next to the original.)
    10/25: Eyes Without A Face (A true classic.)
    10/26: The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (With the score from Under The Skin pasted over the film; a personal experiment that has worked surprisingly well.)
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Jackals (2017)

A family rescue their son from a Jackal cult back to their cabin , but the cult come calling.
    Didn’t have much faith in this film but I really enjoyed it,atmospheric and spooky .

A very good home invasion film x leave your brain at the door and turn off the lights .
    The masks were good. Other than that I felt it was no different to any of the other home invasion movies. Good production values though.

Gotta say, I'm not getting this unfettered love for the new Halloween movie like some of your guys are. I saw it yesterday and it left me pondering whether we dodged a bullet with that alternative timeline Aliens movie from director Neill Blomkamp. I guess we'll see whether he can deliver the goods with his new Robocop movie. I just felt that Halloween (2018) was just a couple of iffy ideas strung together and stretched out over its 106 minutes running time. The music elevated it, but the story was been-there-seen-it-before territory. Overall, I thought Carpenter's original Halloween 2 was superior even though Rick Rosenthal was no stand-in for the great man himself. My own thoughts are: if you're going to erase an older movie from its timeline then at least make it worth the while. I just don't think Danny McBride and David Gordon Green were up to the task in doing that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, that sounds like quite the experiment; I haven't seen Under the Skin in quite some time, so I can't remember the score but I loved the movie.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @DarthDimi, that sounds like quite the experiment; I haven't seen Under the Skin in quite some time, so I can't remember the score but I loved the movie.

I think I've got a novel with that title delivered to me by mistake through Amazon a few years ago.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    10/26: The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (With the score from Under The Skin pasted over the film; a personal experiment that has worked surprisingly well.)

That does sound like quite the experiment! It's a very trippy, very creepy score and I can see it going well with a silent horror film. Do you play it straight through from the beginning like The Wizard of Oz with Pink Floyd or do you play certain tracks at certain times?

That does sound like quite the experiment! It's a very trippy, very creepy score and I can see it going well with a silent horror film. Do you play it straight through from the beginning like The Wizard of Oz with Pink Floyd or do you play certain tracks at certain times?

@Some_Kind_Of_Hero

To be frank, I have been a little lazy.
    Here's what I did:

I took the commercially available score from UTS. Since it's not long enough for the entire silent movie, I simply reprised certain tracks until I got the desired number of minutes. Since I cannot really differentiate between the tracks from memory, and since as far as I can tell every track theoretically fits every scene in the film, I didn't try to figure out the perfect music/scene pairing but instead just went with a more or less random track order. In fact, I had hopes that such a random collection of dissonant violin screams would add to the frenzy I wanted to experience while watching the film this time.

I subsequently merged all the tracks and pasted the music over the silent film with a relatively simple editing program I have in my possession.

The result was quite interesting, I must say. Since the music goes literally everywhere, a sense of disorientation and delirium creeps up fast, adding to the eeriness of the film. It has never felt so strongly like a weird nightmare before. Rather than sit through the film with a more or less predictable piano track that often simply emphasises what is visually obvious, the things that I'm seeing and the things that I'm hearing are now two completely disharmonious yet somehow strangely matching sensory stimuli.
  • That sounds amazing. I'll have to try that, or something like it, sometime.
    Hit off our annual horror month with the following:

10/1: The Ring (Verbinski's film--because it's been a while)
    10/2: Halloween (Carpenter's original--because the girlfriend hadn't seen it before)
    10/3: The Witch (Awesome film!)
    10/4: Hold The Dark (Not sure if it truly qualifies as horror but good stuff nevertheless.)
    10/5: Hereditary (Surprisingly good film though the "people are fainting" hype is tremendously exaggerated.)
    10/6: Murder Party (Saulnier's first film, ultra-low budget but rather funny.)

Update:

10/7: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose (a film I have fond memories of watching in theatres back in the day)
    10/8: Cabin Fever 2 (Sick, delirious gore-fest but such a deliciously entertaining film)
    10/9: Ju-On The Grudge & Ju-On The Grudge 2 (I absolutely love these two Japanese classics!)
    10/10: Dagon (Odd but highly recommendable Lovecraft adaptation)

10/11: The Fog (Carpenter's original--an underrated achievement)
    10/12: The Love Witch (Magnificent feminist horror comedy, but then more comedy than horror, something that holds the middle between your standard 60s Hammer horror and The Room if you can believe it.)
    10/13: Spring (Surprisingly brilliant little Lovecraftian horror film)
    10/14: Wicked City (Japanimation horror classic)

Update:

10/15: Desolation & The Endless (Double feature from the guys who made Spring. Excellent cosmic horror, like David Lynch telling a Lovecraftian story.)
    10/16: A Nightmare On Elm Street (Because I'm a huge Freddy Krueger fan. I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy.)
    10/17: Prom Night (Jamie Lee Curtis in an average slasher flick. The sequel, Hello Mary-Lou, Prom Night 2 is a lot more entertaining but I wanted to get ready for the new Halloween by watching another JLC flick.)
    10/18: Invasion Of The Body Snatchers x 2 (Siegel's original & Kaufman's remake. I love both very much.)
    10/19: Victor Crowley (Never been too big a fan of the Hatchet series but VC has good comedy and a few interesting moments.)

Next update:

10/20: Freddy's Revenge & The Dream Warriors (Because I've gotten the girlfriend interested in the sequels.)
    10/21: Re-Animator 1, 2 & 3 (Juicy!)
    10/22: Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Army of Darkness, The Evil Dead 2013 (And I really like that 2013 film!)
    10/23: Killer Klowns From Outer Space (not exactly my thing but I can nostalgically appreciate this film.)
    10/24: Halloween 2018 (The first film in the series that can proudly walk next to the original.)
    10/25: Eyes Without A Face (A true classic.)

Update:

10/27: Poltergeist (1982) (The only one in the entire series that I can strongly recommend. The others, I can, at best, mildly recommend. The remake wasn't too bad, though, except that there's no reason for it to exist, really.)
    10/28: The Void (This 2016 ultra-low-budget film is one of the best things I've ever seen in terms of Lovecraftian horror. An eerie little film, cost less than Carpenter's Halloween, doesn't need the FF subgenre like The Blair Witch Project, got a few relatively big names on board (Kenneth Welsh, Ellen Wong). In fact, one of the characters brings us the best Pinhead since Doug Bradley's first few performances. I absolutely love this little film. It's unbelievable anyone managed to pull this little stunt off on such a shoestring budget. I both admire and applaud the filmmakers.)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    pb3yow17qjv11.jpg
    Can’t wait. Loved the first.
    A conversation with Tommy Lee Wallace..

I watched 1972's Non si sevizia un paperino (Don't Torture a Duckling). Pretty good.

Also, Barbara Bouchet ^:)^
    I have no anticipation for IT 2 after the disappointment of that first film.