The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,894
    Steve Dash, last year, at a panel with Kane Hodder and CJ Graham:

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

That is quite a clever idea, horror doesn't usually appeal to me.
    I must say I'm intrigued with writer-director Jordan Peele‘s hotly anticipated followup to Get Out. Not sure what's exactly going on here in this trailer? Is it another take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers, or is it more inter-dimensional with shades of Christopher Smith's underrated Triangle (2009)? Or, could it be in someway influenced by Nacho Vigalondo's Truecrimes (2007)? Until I learn more, I'll hold off from an analysis, but there's definitely influences here.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Peele has already spoken about expanding his "Get Out" universe via different films. I'll be curious to spot possible "Get Out" links, much like with M. Night's Unbreakable / Split / Glass myth building.
    So long as Peele doesn't try and expand his Keanu (2016) universe, @DarthDimi. Maybe the cute kitten pops up in Us? I'm not sure about this overlapping, expansion thing. Of course, Lovecraft did it with his books, which I'm sure is the inspiration behind some of these directors adopting that in their movies, but if I were to use the word "convoluted" I'd apply it to this concept. Let's hope Us can stand on its own two feet.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The reviews for M Night Shyamalan's Glass will be available at 1:30pm Pacific Time (in just over 5 hours and 45 minutes).
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,690
    First trailer for Child's Play confirmed for next week. The film itself will be released on June 21, 2019.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    First trailer for Child's Play confirmed for next week. The film itself will be released on June 21, 2019.

My expectations are pretty low.
    Paramount has pulled the plug on David Fincher's World War Z 2, due to budget reasons. The studio said they prefer to allocate more money to Mission: Impossible 7 & Mission: Impossible 8 instead.

----

Production on A Quiet Place 2 is expected to start in July 2019 (planned release date: May 15, 2020).
    Trailer #2 for Pet Sematary:

avthzoyfl5f21.jpg

avthzoyfl5f21.jpg

Church!!! I hope this is good. I was going to see it in theaters.
    Yes... because Stephen King adaptations are usually good.

/sarcasm

Seriously though, I have low interest in this. May see it at some point, but it's no priority at all.
    Watching it for the evil cat!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

avthzoyfl5f21.jpg

Looks pretty ordinary to me. And what are those 'Wicker Man' style masks all about. Nothing like that in the book.

I thought the original adaptation wasn't a bad effort. My favourite King novel by some degree.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Oh boy, alright, let's get it over with.

Um... honestly, the trailer didn't push me one way or the other. I just don't want this to cause the original series to be dropped. It would be a shame if that happens, given the two recent films.
    It surely will be a disappointment. I still can’t believe Brad Dourif got the shaft.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I think it looks great :D
    I'm not tempted right away. I will watch the flick; it's in my nature to do so. But I keep asking: why???? We still have a very good series going. After Curse and Cult, the Chuck seems to be going stronger than ever! So why reboot now? That's like Marvel/Disney pulling the plug on Avengers tomorrow and starting all over again.
    If memory serves me correct aren’t they ditching the whole cult voodoo thing and now the doll is just AI run amuck?

Because if that the case this is really going to turn into a run of the mill slasher
    @Risico007 - The AI being corrupted is the route they are going down, at least that is how it looks to me. I will watch it at some point, but for the time being, I want to know what is happening with the original series.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Risico007 wrote: »
    If memory serves me correct aren’t they ditching the whole cult voodoo thing and now the doll is just AI run amuck?

Because if that the case this is really going to turn into a run of the mill slasher
    This article states that the new Chucky is “a defective Buddy doll whose programming code is hacked so that he has no limitations to learning and also violence.” And one character is described as a “Chinese factory worker who commits suicide shortly after re-programming a Buddy doll to have no limitations.”
    https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/281804/chucky-not-possessed-by-charles-lee-ray-in-childs-play-reboot/
    It also seems like they've split the best friend and babysitter into two separate characters.
    Look I never saw a single one of the movies (I am kind of a scaredy-cat to be honest) but even I have to admit this feels like a slap in the face of fans
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3540680/revisionist-history-looking-back-positively-ten-years-since-friday-13th/

Now officially the longest gap between films, 10 years. Personally, I enjoyed the film then, and still do.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3540680/revisionist-history-looking-back-positively-ten-years-since-friday-13th/

Now officially the longest gap between films, 10 years. Personally, I enjoyed the film then, and still do.

Loved the 2009 installment, I've checked it out probably five or so times since; spiced things up quite nicely and shook up the franchise without being too different or lesser of a film.
  • This is awesome if they find anything; I know there's a better Halloween 5 out there!!

Search Has Begun for Lost, Never Before Seen Footage from ‘Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers’

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3546112/search-begun-lost-never-seen-footage-halloween-5-revenge-michael-myers/?fbclid=IwAR3wZ1wl0YFbeFE2hXnZTW3SmnJ1EMnoY-Su_DfnwTZQevQrFymbqkGGnqM

DzJklOtV4AEqPOl.jpgDzJklOwVYAAruy5.jpgDzJklOvU8AAGyy8.jpg
    First trailer for Jordan Peele's The Twilight Zone:

----

After 'The Haunting of Hill House'', we now have the first details of the 2nd season of Netflix's The Haunting anthology:

The Haunting of Bly Manor.

Bly mansion is the setting for the Henry James psychological gothic horror novella The Turn of the Screw, which takes place almost entirely at the old country mansion. It is there where two young orphans are looked after by a young governess and by whom most of the story is narrated by.

Due to be released in 2020.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/theme-the-haunting-2nd-installment-revealed-the-haunting-of-bly-manor-1202561824/