The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    No doubt the remake will feature a CGI abomination as the doll.....
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I absolutely despise the majority of horror remakes. The only one I somewhat enjoy is Friday the 13th 2009 and even that one doesn't touch the first six films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I look forward to wasting no time on that remake. I'm sure it'll be embarrassingly generic and not at all something fans are wanting to see.
    John Carpenter’s The Thing and David Cronenberg’s The Fly are two exceptions I can think of as good horror remakes. Most are absolutely abysmal for sure.
    While not really a remake, I did enjoy Bates Motel.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Remington wrote: »

That's the tv movie, isn't it? Never seen that one.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 1,532
    Remington wrote: »

That's the tv movie, isn't it? Never seen that one.

@MajorDSmythe Actually a TV series that aired from 2013 to 2017 I believe. Vera Farmiga played Norma and Freddie Highmore played Norman. I recommend it. I haven't seen the TV movie yet.
    One of the few horror remakes i did enjoy was Dawn of the Dead

Apart from mainly being set in a shopping mall that's where the similarities ended.

I loved the scarily fast zombies!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Apart from mainly being set in a shopping mall that's where the similarities ended.

That film is the reason why I keep my faith in Zack Snyder as a filmmaker. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Yeah, he's never really built on the potential he showed on Dawn.

I did like Watchmen a lot, but the rest of his output has been sketchy.
    I very much appreciate Watchmen and 300, including the technical efforts that went into the making of both films. But they are almost beat-for-beat the graphic novel translated into a different medium. A lot of people were upset, or so it is said, that these films stuck too close to their respective source novels. If true, then it's likewise strange that so many went ballistic over LXG for not staying close enough to the source material. I guess we're a fickle bunch.

And yet, I don't think that's the problem. Both films made money, 300 a lot more, probably because of the novelty factor. Watchmen disappointed at the BO, and yet its 180 million gross is about what I would have expected from a project like this. Let's face it, many out there were (and are) very comic book challenged. Those who feel comfortable with the 'elevated' works of Alan Moore, are even fewer in numbers. Furthermore, the superhero craze had only just exploded in 2008, a year before the film was released. It was probably too early to deliver a "superhero film" (which it isn't but was nevertheless perceived as), especially one dealing with the political and more mundane issues regarding superheroes. So the way I see it, unless Watchmen could have been made on a 40 million budget or less, there was no way this film was ever going to do well at the BO. It's simply too niche a film. I for one, enjoy the 3.5 hour cut of the film very much. The casting was spot-on, the visuals are marvellous and the script..., well, the script is the graphic novel, panel by panel, a graphic novel I truly love.

Snyder hit again with the crazy fantasy film Sucker Punck, hated on by many who, again, refuse to see this film for what it is. It is a collection of hyperactive video game cut scenes, used as failed metaphors in a nonsensical "mental hospital for girls" thriller, with the line between reality and dreams blurred even more than in some of the lesser Freddy Krueger films. And while that may sound like a damning verdict, it's also got a bunch of hot, armored up chicks, loud rock music, beautiful visuals and a high fetish factor. With countless hours of Japanese animation behind me, and with a high penchant for loose video game logic in the service of cool and brainless fun, I can easily enjoy this film. I'm not using my brains, just my senses, and they are not exactly underserved in this. It's the bubble gum equivalent of cinema, but sometimes, bubble gum is what I crave.

Next we get to MOS, BvS and JL. I've discussed those films at length in other threads, but I will repeat that I enjoy them. So, between DOTD and JL, Snyder hasn't made a single film that has let me down. The only thing I can say as a negative is that he has failed to speak to the lowest common denominator. Because of his stylistic and narrative choices, Snyder has made his films fairly inaccessable for many.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love this movie so much, Snyder nailed it and I had always hoped for a sequel of some sort with him and the survivors returning.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love this movie so much, Snyder nailed it and I had always hoped for a sequel of some sort with him and the survivors returning.

Given the strength of the cast, I wish we could have seen more of them.
    The one I really loved for his slimy attitude in DOTD is Ty Burrell. "Sarcasm... that's awesome."
    Burrell was great in it! My favorite character was Michael Kelly, who played CJ the security guard. Love his sacrifice scene, it's so awesome.
    His sacrifice came after him being an A-hole for so much of the film. Suddenly, this guy goes Rambo. Love it!
    His sacrifice came after him being an A-hole for so much of the film. Suddenly, this guy goes Rambo. Love it!

That really seals it for my enjoyment of his character. Always love a good redemption story, and he makes quite the comeback in sacrificing himself so the others can finally escape.
    I remember going to see the film thinking there was no way in hell that Romero's epic could ever be bested. And it wasn't. Instead, an entirely different set of themes combined with a whole new visual style allowed for a reimagining of the original story without the arrogance of trying to outdate the '78 film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    leprechaun.png?ssl=1

Halloween 2018 is starting a trend. The new Leprechaun does sound like Warrick Davis.
    leprechaun.png?ssl=1

Halloween 2018 is starting a trend. The new Leprechaun does sound like Warrick Davis.

Sigh well with the box office my guess is Freddy and Jason will soon be back too
    It's official: Halloween 2018 has scooped up over a quarter of a billion dollars worldwide on a-comparatively-shoestring budget.

I admire the result almost as much as the film itself.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's official: Halloween 2018 has scooped up over a quarter of a billion dollars worldwide on a-comparatively-shoestring budget.

Great news and very well deserved.

I'm very happy. And relieved, as when I went to see it the cinema was almost empty.
    2 articles recently caught my interest on B-D.com:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3534806/favorite-horror-films-year-2010s/

More than any other film, I was expecting The VVitch to be on the list. Don't get me wrong, Anya Taylor-Joy deserves all of the praise she has received, but the film didn't.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3535045/love-90s-horror-wishmaster-remains-fun-practical-effects-heavy-celebration-horror-royalty/

To quote Onatopp "Yes yes yes." I absolutely love the first Wishmaster. Without question it is my favourite 90's horror film. Released in a post-Scream horror genre, Wishmaster set out to brought something new to the table. Unfortunately the quality dropped considerably with the sequels, especially the last 2 films.

Never forget, "That which is eternal, can not die."
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,813
    For anyone interested, here's a closeup of the damage Michael took in the newest Halloween movie:
    Spoilers because, well, spoilers, but also because it's GROSS
    46976891_589406491511824_1618783919870574592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=ba548060294194ed4cbccbff3e1f7475&oe=5C6C4362
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,686
    @Creasy47 @doubleoego @bondjames @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

Warning: major spoilers about the previous film.

Happy Death Day was a wonderful experience for me. When I sat down to watch it, purely because of its great title, I had absolutely no idea what I was in for. The film truly entertained me from start to finish. So I'm curious about this sequel.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi I really liked that they successfully aimed at making a fun popcorn horror/comedy film than an un-scary horror film solely relying on jump scares.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,882
    Steve Dash, aka Jason from Friday The 13th Pt II has passed away:
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3538857/r-p-jason-voorhees-friday-13th-part-2-steve-dash-passed-away/

Sounds like the last month of his life was quite rough.

RIP
    It's okay, Jason. Mommy is pleased.

RIP
    Damn, that sounds like a rough time he had at the end, diabetes is no joke. RIP Mr. Dash, thanks for the entertainment over the years.