The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hope you lot will share your thoughts ASAP, for those who are getting to see it this weekend. I'll miss my opportunity unfortunately, but I'll check it out the day it hits digital. It looks solid and it seems like it's going to have a huge opening weekend, so I can only assume we can start preparing for a sequel already.
    Halloween comes out TOMORROW :-SS

Is anyone else wondering how much this 'new timeline' will show of that night in 1978?? Will we see Michael get captured I wonder- or will it just be talked about in the present? I'm thinking that after getting shot, Michael makes it a block or two before collapsing- I mean, how else are they supposed to capture him?

I read they hired a Donald Pleasence voice impersonator-- perhaps we can see some grainy footage of young Michael in the asylum with Dr. Loomis??

The anticipation is seriously killing me at this point!!!!

From what I understand regarding every single sequel has been ignored. Which I'm glad.
  • Correct @Ludovico
    When Michael gets shot by Loomis at the end on Halloween 1, and he’s not there on the ground when he looks, we don't go to Halloween 2.
    Instead Michael is captured that same night by as of now unknown means, and is in the asylum 40 years straight!

Even though this changes Michael’s impressive kill count to a minimum, it’s for the best. Many of the sequels are garbage. This wipes the slate nice and clean!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Correct @Ludovico
    When Michael gets shot by Loomis at the end on Halloween 1, and he’s not there on the ground when he looks, we don't go to Halloween 2.
    Instead Michael is captured that same night by as of now unknown means, and is in the asylum 40 years straight!

Even though this changes Michael’s impressive kill count to a minimum, it’s for the best. Many of the sequels are garbage. This wipes the slate nice and clean!

Prior to this clean slate, the only ones I ever counted were Halloween 78, Halloween 2, and H20.

H20 isn't perfect by any means (it's too much like Scream, for one thing) and I'm sure the new one handles the "older Laurie" aspect much better, but I always liked the ending if you take it definitively.

I am very excited for the new film. It looks great.
  • Agreed- H2Os epic ending is completely undone when you watch Resurrection. And as a whole it does feel too much like Scream.
    I love 1, 2, 4, H2O and I’m in the small minority that enjoys both Rob Zombie one’s! (Though admittedly it took YEARS to appreciate the sequel. If you haven’t seen it in years, give it another shot)
    Right now, you can listen to John Carpenter’s complete score for ‘Halloween’ 2018.

https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=70&v=cmHxSHWhwDM
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Alright everyone:
    Here is a picture of James Jude Courtney (the dude playing Michael) without his mask and in full makeup and beard. He has the damaged eyeball and beard that we’ve seen glimpses of in the trailers.

So if you want to see a full on picture of what ‘Michael’ looks like, here you go!
    43952255_2169213426660940_7855579906908880896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=a4fcab38108a7d43e4970dca8ccb27fb&oe=5C51943C
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I honestly liked the cult of thorn stuff I realize some didn’t but even in the first film he was somewhat supernatural giving a reason why (though even as a fan I will admit is highly convoluted) but still not bad
    There's a hint of supernatural in the first Halloween movie that remains subtle and equivocal. And that's one of the film's strength as it remains unexplained, as any supernatural story should. Explaining it in any way is one step too many into rationalising the character of Michael Myers and it takes away the mystery and a good deal of the fear factor. The whole Thorn Cult is completely out of left field and very stupid both in concept and execution. It cheapens the first movie even more than H2 cheapened it with the family angle.
  • Thorn is stupid. BUT, for anyone interested, there's a comic out there that actually manages to tie in the continuity of Curse of Michael Myers & H2O.
    It has Laurie and Tommy in it- but keep in mind, it was made in 2000 and Resurrection undoes any sense it made.

It's a 3 issue series, the first of which is excellent, which shows lots of young Michael & Dr. Loomis in their time at the asylum. Turns out Michael killed a few of the kids there, as well as Loomis' love interest. Rascal.

halloween-2-ii-iii-chaos-comics-set_1_fd1c0448e34b1431722d099ff50f53bb.jpg

They're really rare and expensive but you can read them here! Who's your buddy!!

https://read-comic.com/halloween-i-2000/
    H6 was pretty much a student fanfic that got the franchise treatment for reasons unknown.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    IMO, HRes is much worse than H6. The latter has some intensity, especially in the prod. cut. HRes is... oh come, on!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    IMO, HRes is much worse than H6. The latter has some intensity, especially in the prod. cut. HRes is... oh come, on!

That says something about HRes. Downright insulting.

If everything goes right, touch wood, I should see Halloween 2018 tomorrow.

H6 has a little bit of atmosphere, and Paul Rudd. HRes has Busta Rhymes. Go figure!
  • I recognize H6 is a dumb movie, but it’s still not without it’s good parts. The biggest of which is without a doubt the creepiest Michael Myers in the whole series- best mask, intimidating demeanor. I was uneasy whenever he was on screen!

As for Resurrection, there isn’t much positivity to throw around. But the dude who played Michael actually did a great job- I liked him more than in H2O. Shame he didn’t have a better movie
    Interested to see what our community thinks about the new Halloween. It seems to have a generally positive consensus in reviews, but a few detractors as well. I think next Wednesday is when I’ll get to see it.
    I'm probably going to watch the film next Wednesday. Taking the girlfriend. She's in a very bad place right now, though (grandfather has passed away), so I'm not 100 % sure I can watch the film next week.
    I saw it tonight.

ColdWellmadeButterfly-max-1mb.gif

Overall, I'd have to say it's a pretty glorious return to Haddonfield for the World's Worst William Shatner cosplay.

There's a neat throughline about how serial killers aren't scary anymore in an age of mass-murderers and school shootings, but the film successfully manages to respect the style of Carpenter's '78 film and make Michael Myers an intimidating presence again; seeing The Shape glide around accompanied by his signature 5/4 motif was a joy to behold. The level of gore is perfectly judged, and the violence hits hard (usually a wall of some description) without seeming exploitative.

Curtis owns the film. The story delves fairly deeply into the pyschological scars left by her first go-around with Myers, and she 100% commits to crazy Laurie Strode.

There are a few blips. The knock-off Loomis subplot is an automatic one-star deduction (awful in concept, worse in execution), and the kids are the usual annoying kitchen knife fodder. Some of the dialogue is ropey, but mostly the actors manage to pull it off.

Big kudos to David Gordon Green; he very clearly understands what made the first film have such an impact and what made Myers such a terrifying force, unfortunately diluted by Halloween 4-6. While he was never going to make a film as instantly iconic as that first film, he has certainly managed to give it a worthy sequel. Very much enjoyed, and very relieved I did so! I was terribly afraid as I walked in that I was going to dislike it, but the credits soon put my mind at ease.

3.5/5

Hit off our annual horror month with the following:

10/1: The Ring (Verbinski's film--because it's been a while)
    10/2: Halloween (Carpenter's original--because the girlfriend hadn't seen it before)
    10/3: The Witch (Awesome film!)
    10/4: Hold The Dark (Not sure if it truly qualifies as horror but good stuff nevertheless.)
    10/5: Hereditary (Surprisingly good film though the "people are fainting" hype is tremendously exaggerated.)
    10/6: Murder Party (Saulnier's first film, ultra-low budget but rather funny.)

Update:

10/7: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose (a film I have fond memories of watching in theatres back in the day)
    10/8: Cabin Fever 2 (Sick, delirious gore-fest but such a deliciously entertaining film)
    10/9: Ju-On The Grudge & Ju-On The Grudge 2 (I absolutely love these two Japanese classics!)
    10/10: Dagon (Odd but highly recommendable Lovecraft adaptation)

10/11: The Fog (Carpenter's original--an underrated achievement)
    10/12: The Love Witch (Magnificent feminist horror comedy, but then more comedy than horror, something that holds the middle between your standard 60s Hammer horror and The Room if you can believe it.)
    10/13: Spring (Surprisingly brilliant little Lovecraftian horror film)
    10/14: Wicked City (Japanimation horror classic)

Update:

10/15: Desolation & The Endless (Double feature from the guys who made Spring. Excellent cosmic horror, like David Lynch telling a Lovecraftian story.)
    10/16: A Nightmare On Elm Street (Because I'm a huge Freddy Krueger fan. I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy.)
    10/17: Prom Night (Jamie Lee Curtis in an average slasher flick. The sequel, Hello Mary-Lou, Prom Night 2 is a lot more entertaining but I wanted to get ready for the new Halloween by watching another JLC flick.)
    10/18: Invasion Of The Body Snatchers x 2 (Siegel's original & Kaufman's remake. I love both very much.)
    10/19: Victor Crowley (Never been too big a fan of the Hatchet series but VC has good comedy and a few interesting moments.)
    Just got back from watching it. It is really good and a worthy sequel. The only worthy sequel I may add. It has its flawd: a slightly too high body count of people we don't have time to care about, too many homages to the original and then some, too little time spent to build up the night. But it has some great characters and atmosphere and the plot is overall solid.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    http://toofab.com/2018/10/18/the-halloween-movie-that-made-john-carpenter-cringe-and-why-newest-was-strange-experience/

I would love to see Carpernters reactions while watching Halloween: Resurrection. "Turn it off... Turn it OFF!... TURN IT OOOFFFF!!!!."
    HALLOWEEN rakes in a whopping $77.5million on its opening weekend.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

So it's already the highest grossing film in the series. Not bad for two days. I won't see it for a couple days but I can't wait.
    The Nun opened with $133M worldwide. I won't let B.O. fool me into thinking something is good.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 13,894

And Paramount cancelled F13 due to Rings under performing. I would like to think that the success of Halloween, will prompt Cunningham and Miller to sit down and sort the case out, but I won't hold my breath.
    Yeah, and Freddy!?
    I'm waiting for more Freddy!
    Remington wrote: »

So it's already the highest grossing film in the series. Not bad for two days. I won't see it for a couple days but I can't wait.

Strange. There was barely anybody when I went to watch it last Saturday.

And Paramount cancelled F13 due to Rings under performing. I would like to think that the success of Halloween, will prompt Cunningham and Miller to sit down and sort the case out, but I won't hold my breath.
    Yeah, and Freddy!?

I would like both of these things to happen soon, too.
    Yeah, and Freddy!?

Calm yourself, Dimi... ready for this...?

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3528716/robert-englund-teases-may-one-nightmare-elm-street-left/