The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi My local cinema is doing a double-bill on 31st October: Halloween (1978) and Halloween (2018). I'll definitely have to get tickets for this!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You are a lucky man, sir.
  • Very jealous @DaltonCraig007
    I unfortunately won’t be seeing the new Halloween until Tuesday the 23 (ME of all people!!!) because my damn work schedule won’t cooperate sometimes.
    World War Z 2 confirmed to start production in June 2019, with David Fincher directing and Brad Pitt reprising the lead role.

https://screenrant.com/world-war-z-2-production-start-2019/

Excellent! I really enjoyed the first movie!!!
    I'm partial to WWZ. Tried to read the book; couldn't get past the first few chapters. Boring as hell.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm partial to WWZ. Tried to read the book; couldn't get past the first few chapters. Boring as hell.

Apart from the title the WWZ film bears little resemblance to the book.

Personally i found the book a clever, fascinating and chilling read.

Last thing we needed was yet another generic Zombie film.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Finally watched Ringu(1998) having never seen any of the remakes.

What a film! The atmosphere is thick and the slow burn story really had me hooked. The ending was unforgettable.

As an adult I find it hard to be frightened by anything, film wise, but this made me the most uneasy I have been watching something for 20 years.
    I watched this the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    A great little film with a story that gets you hooked very quickly :

220px-Screamers_%282016_film%29.jpg
    Hit off our annual horror month with the following:

10/1: The Ring (Verbinski's film--because it's been a while)
    10/2: Halloween (Carpenter's original--because the girlfriend hadn't seen it before)
    10/3: The Witch (Awesome film!)
    10/4: Hold The Dark (Not sure if it truly qualifies as horror but good stuff nevertheless.)
    10/5: Hereditary (Surprisingly good film though the "people are fainting" hype is tremendously exaggerated.)
    10/6: Murder Party (Saulnier's first film, ultra-low budget but rather funny.)

Update:

10/7: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose (a film I have fond memories of watching in theatres back in the day)
    10/8: Cabin Fever 2 (Sick, delirious gore-fest but such a deliciously entertaining film)
    10/9: Ju-On The Grudge & Ju-On The Grudge 2 (I absolutely love these two Japanese classics!)
    10/10: Dagon (Odd but highly recommendable Lovecraft adaptation)

10/2: Halloween (Carpenter's original--because the girlfriend hadn't seen it before)
    10/4: Hold The Dark (Not sure if it truly qualifies as horror but good stuff nevertheless.)
    10/5: Hereditary (Surprisingly good film though the "people are fainting" hype is tremendously exaggerated.)

Update:

10/7: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose (a film I have fond memories of watching in theatres back in the day)
    10/8: Cabin Fever 2 (Sick, delirious gore-fest but such a deliciously entertaining film)
    10/9: Ju-On The Grudge & Ju-On The Grudge 2 (I absolutely love these two Japanese classics!)

10/11: The Fog (Carpenter's original--an underrated achievement)
    10/12: The Love Witch (Magnificent feminist horror comedy, but then more comedy than horror, something that holds the middle between your standard 60s Hammer horror and The Room if you can believe it.)
    10/13: Spring (Surprisingly brilliant little Lovecraftian horror film)
    10/14: Wicked City (Japanimation horror classic)

Update:

You liked Dagon. Interesting I hated it and felt it was Mst3k level bad but different strokes I suppose
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,564
    @Risico007, You're right but I don't hold the cheap production value against the film. ;-)

First of all, "true" Lovecraft adaptations are rare: I am happy with the few morsels I can get. Secondly, the film gets several elements of Lovecraft's story THE SHADOWS OVER INNSMOUTH right, and since that's my favourite Lovecraft story, I'm satisfied. Lastly, Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna have at least tried to bring Lovecraft to the big screen with this film and FROM BEYOND, the RE-ANIMATOR films and more. I appreciate that very much.

But to be fair, it wasn't until I had actually read Lovecraft's entire body of work, that I started liking this film.
    It's extremely difficult to adapt Lovecraft faithfully. A lot of the narrative cannot be reproduced in images and there's very little if any dialogue.
    Correct, and that's precisely why I consider Dagon a small success. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Update:

10/11: The Fog (Carpenter's original--an underrated achievement)
    10/12: The Love Witch (Magnificent feminist horror comedy, but then more comedy than horror, something that holds the middle between your standard 60s Hammer horror and The Room if you can believe it.)
    10/13: Spring (Surprisingly brilliant little Lovecraftian horror film)
    10/14: Wicked City (Japanimation horror classic)

I have been meaning to see The Love Witch, ever since I first heard about it. When I first saw Samantha Robinson, I though she was Soledad Miranda.
    Correct, and that's precisely why I consider Dagon a small success. ;)

The short story is great, one of my favourite... And it would only work as a big budget short film.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Been watching the first seven Halloween films back to back a lot the last couple weeks. My thoughts:
    .1, 2, 3, and 4 are all classics. The only changes I'd make is to keep some of the deleted scenes in the second film and find a better mask for the fourth film. All four films have good characters and great atmosphere and music.
    .5 is underrated. It's nothing special but it has a great score, atmosphere, and Danielle Harris is possibly my favorite protagonist of the series. The mask is pretty bad though.
    .I really like the producer's cut of the sixth film. The ending is good and unique although the actual finale is lame and anticlimactic. I also don't like the way Jamie was used in either version. Fix that, use the producers cut, write a better finale, and this would be a top 3 film.
    .I hate that H20 ignored the previous sequels and I don't care for the score and lack of fall feeling, but I like it overall. The ending is absolutely perfect and should have been the end of the series.

Resurrection and the two Rob Zombie films are crimes against humanity and shouldn't have been made
    I will agree
    Remington wrote: »
    Been watching the first seven Halloween films back to back a lot the last couple weeks. My thoughts:
    .1, 2, 3, and 4 are all classics. The only changes I'd make is to keep some of the deleted scenes in the second film and find a better mask for the fourth film. All four films have good characters and great atmosphere and music.
    .5 is underrated. It's nothing special but it has a great score, atmosphere, and Danielle Harris is possibly my favorite protagonist of the series. The mask is pretty bad though.
    .I really like the producer's cut of the sixth film. The ending is good and unique although the actual finale is lame and anticlimactic. I also don't like the way Jamie was used in either version. Fix that, use the producers cut, write a better finale, and this would be a top 3 film.
    .I hate that H20 ignored the previous sequels and I don't care for the score and lack of fall feeling, but I like it overall. The ending is absolutely perfect and should have been the end of the series.

Resurrection and the two Rob Zombie films are crimes against humanity and shouldn't have been made

I agree
  • 4 had a unique look that grew on me for Michael.
    Filthy coveralls, nasty burned hands, yet a bright white pristine mask.
    I used to hate that mask (mostly because the one they used for the poster was admittedly better) but not so much anymore. There’s a definite creepiness about it. I was dying to know how Michael looked under there
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    4 had a unique look that grew on me for Michael.
    Filthy coveralls, nasty burned hands, yet a bright white pristine mask.
    I used to hate that mask (mostly because the one they used for the poster was admittedly better) but not so much anymore. There’s a definite creepiness about it. I was dying to know how Michael looked under there

It's definitely better than most of the masks that came afterwards. Except for 6. That one was pretty good.
    Remington wrote: »

I love the first Halloween movie. All the other sequels as far as I'm concerned are worthless. Except Halloween 2018 if it is as good as it seems.

For what Rob Zombie did with his remakes he should be shot.
    There's nothing wrong with Zombie's Halloween. The problem is just that Zombie's films are generally very difficult to get into. If you enjoy House Of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, 31, ... then Halloween isn't too difficult to get into. I for one love Zombie's style: it's one big love letter to the 70s. I also appreciate his casting choices. Malcolm McDowell is a different Loomis than Donald Pleasence but I nevertheless like what he brings to this film. (I hate where they took the character in the sequel, though.) Scout Taylor-Compton delivers a vastly different Laurie Strode than Jamie Lee Curtis but she pulls her scenes off with a lot of intensity. The final shot of the film, with her going berserk after shooting Michael while Tyler Bates pulls in Carpenter's Halloween theme twice as fast and twice as loud, is a really strong moment. Dourif, Haig, Harris, Wallace, ... all contribute nicely to the film.

Zombie wanted to make a Rob Zombie version of Halloween but apparently, there were mandates that he turn it into a direct remake of Carpenter's film. As a result, we have a strange amalgamation of a Zombie film and a Carpenter redo. A Rob Zombie remake of Halloween is a lot like a Tarantino Bond film, I guess. You're not going to love them because you're a fan of Halloween or Bond; you can only enjoy them if you're a fan of Zombie or Tarantino.

They probably should have given the project to Ti West, whose film The House Of The Devil tells me that he has many of Zombie's strengths and fewer of his weaknesses. He also understands the 70s horror aesthetic and he understands the power of quiet eerieness and protracted terror. The minute you give a project to Zombie or Eli Roth for example, you lose complete creative control and you understand and accept that, for better or worse, your project is placed in the hands of someone who's either a brilliant madman or a dysfunctional genius.
    There's nothing wrong with Zombie's Halloween. The problem is just that Zombie's films are generally very difficult to get into. If you enjoy House Of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, 31, ... then Halloween isn't too difficult to get into. I for one love Zombie's style: it's one big love letter to the 70s. I also appreciate his casting choices. Malcolm McDowell is a different Loomis than Donald Pleasence but I nevertheless like what he brings to this film. (I hate where they took the character in the sequel, though.) Scout Taylor-Compton delivers a vastly different Laurie Strode than Jamie Lee Curtis but she pulls her scenes off with a lot of intensity. The final shot of the film, with her going berserk after shooting Michael while Tyler Bates pulls in Carpenter's Halloween theme twice as fast and twice as loud, is a really strong moment. Dourif, Haig, Harris, Wallace, ... all contribute nicely to the film.

Zombie wanted to make a Rob Zombie version of Halloween but apparently, there were mandates that he turn it into a direct remake of Carpenter's film. As a result, we have a strange amalgamation of a Zombie film and a Carpenter redo. A Rob Zombie remake of Halloween is a lot like a Tarantino Bond film, I guess. You're not going to love them because you're a fan of Halloween or Bond; you can only enjoy them if you're a fan of Zombie or Tarantino.

They probably should have given the project to Ti West, whose film The House Of The Devil tells me that he has many of Zombie's strengths and fewer of his weaknesses. He also understands the 70s horror aesthetic and he understands the power of quiet eerieness and protracted terror. The minute you give a project to Zombie or Eli Roth for example, you lose complete creative control and you understand and accept that, for better or worse, your project is placed in the hands of someone who's either a brilliant madman or a dysfunctional genius.

I'm afraid I can't find anything interesting or remotely nice to say about Rob Zombies Halloween. It's coarse, profane and moronic. It makes the fatal mistake of giving Michael a back story and an excuse for his madness. No mystery to the character whatsoever. Most of Zombie's 'dialogue' consists of obscenities and the whole thing is tasteless with none of the class and finesse of Carpenter's original.

There's an interesting video on YouTube with Zombie deriding remakes and how they're sacrilege, before he decided to remake Halloween. But then money talks.....
    Saw John Carpenter in concert last night at the O2 Empire in Shepherd's Bush, London

Amazing show where he did all his themes including the new Halloween theme.
    20181016-212911.jpg
    20181016-211316-1.jpg
    I still prefer Carpenter's original concept of each Halloween movie having it's own unique story, each one told separately every year. It's perhaps why I liked the third one more than I do any of the other follow ups, which were essentially just a guy in a rubber mask scaring kids and doing what he did in the first movie. I guess some folk just like repetition when it comes to horror.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A Carpenter concert? I bet that was a damn good time, @LeonardPine! I hope you had a blast.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A Carpenter concert? I bet that was a damn good time, @LeonardPine! I hope you had a blast.

It was great, @Creasy47

He has been touring for a while but I think this is his first time playing in Europe.

It's amazing hearing all his film themes played live and especially by the man himself, who I've always been a big fan of.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3527792/latest-friday-13th-franchise-lawsuit-big-deadline-looms-halloween-day/

October 31st?

giphy.gif

Someone has a sense of humour.

On a related note, I returned to the game recently. While it is running smoother, the lack of any new content is really feeling obvious. Though with the game free on the PSN, it has been a laugh seeing all the no0blets running around without a clue (leaving doors open, not bothering to call in Jarvis). Sure, we were all rank 1 at the start, but some things are obvious.
  • Halloween comes out TOMORROW :-SS

Is anyone else wondering how much this 'new timeline' will show of that night in 1978?? Will we see Michael get captured I wonder- or will it just be talked about in the present? I'm thinking that after getting shot, Michael makes it a block or two before collapsing- I mean, how else are they supposed to capture him?

I read they hired a Donald Pleasence voice impersonator-- perhaps we can see some grainy footage of young Michael in the asylum with Dr. Loomis??

The anticipation is seriously killing me at this point!!!!
    I’ll be seeing that new Halloween next week. Really hoping for something great, but I will try to go in with low expectations. The original 1978 classic is one of my favorite horror films and films in general. I hope they finally have made something of a worthy follow-up to it.