The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Escape Room 2 coming April 17, 2020.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/escape-room-2-movie-in-development-sony-deborah-ann-woll-1202565184/

Trailer for the first film, which came out in theaters last month:

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    This is awesome if they find anything; I know there's a better Halloween 5 out there!!

Search Has Begun for Lost, Never Before Seen Footage from ‘Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers’

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3546112/search-begun-lost-never-seen-footage-halloween-5-revenge-michael-myers/?fbclid=IwAR3wZ1wl0YFbeFE2hXnZTW3SmnJ1EMnoY-Su_DfnwTZQevQrFymbqkGGnqM

DzJklOtV4AEqPOl.jpgDzJklOwVYAAruy5.jpgDzJklOvU8AAGyy8.jpg

Really hope this happens. I've always enjoyed Halloween 5.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Jordan Peele's Us clocks in at exactly 2 hours.
    First poster for Midsommar, the new horror film from Ari Aster, the director of Hereditary:

vc4s8ttkgbj21.jpg

A young woman reluctantly joins her boyfriend on a summer trip where things quickly go awry.

Release date: August 8, 2019.
    First reviews for Jordan Peele's Us are pouring in. Currently standing at 100% on Rottentomatoes and 79/100 on Metacritic.

A brilliant home-invasion thriller laced with cultural reference points stretching back to the late ’80s, and a smorgasbord of first-rate visceral cinematic scares. Think “Funny Games” collided with Cronenbergian body horror and Hitchockian suspense, and you’re maybe halfway there.

Clearly the work of an ambitious writer/director who can see himself inheriting the mantle of Rod Serling ... it offers twists and ironies and false endings galore — along with more laughs than the comedian-turned-auteur dared to include in his debut film. ... It packs a punch.

Us is something of a frustrating watch, a visual and technical marvel that just doesn’t seem to know what it is. Unlike Get Out, which only swelled in impact as you left the theater, Us is best viewed on a visceral level, not an intellectual one.

Terrifying...The less you know going in — and the less energy you spend thinking about it after the fact — the better the movie works, trading on some uncanny combination of Peele’s imagination and our own to suggest a horror infinitely larger and more insidious than the film is capable of representing

Breathtakingly haunting and in a way, surreal, Us is a must-see that will horrify audiences the world over.

Us is a tremendous accomplishment.

Jordan Peele's Us is one of the most original horror titles in recent years. This movie is destined for greatness.

Similarly, Us mirrors Get Out. It's more scary fare with social commentary. But the copy's never quite the same as the original.

Jordan Peele's Us is a stellar follow-up to Get Out and its going to be a huge hit.
    Midsommar looks like another interesting take on the original Wicker Man. As I loved Hereditary I’ll be certain to catch Ari Aster’s new movie.

Another bit of horror news is that Eli Roth is about to turn Erica Ferencik‘s 2017 novel The River at Night into a movie. I read the book when it first came out and I can’t remember that much about it other than it riffs a little bit on The Deliverance story, but it’s not as good or scary.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondsum wrote: »
    Midsommar looks like another interesting take on the original Wicker Man. As I loved Hereditary I’ll be certain to catch Ari Aster’s new movie.

Another bit of horror news is that Eli Roth is about to turn Erica Ferencik‘s 2017 novel The River at Night into a movie. I read the book when it first came out and I can’t remember that much about it other than it riffs a little bit on The Deliverance story, but it’s not as good or scary.

I also liked Hereditary a lot, and as Aster's new film seems to have a 'Wicker Man' type look i am really interested.

Not so much with Roth's new project. The book sounds like Deliverance with women and i just don't rate Roth as a director. The potential Green Inferno had to be a modern exploitation classic was completely killed by Roth's inept direction.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 15,690
    First social media reactions for Pet Sematary:

Pet Semaraty is *vicious* and I LOVED it. Super brutal visuals and was thrilled to see Widmyer & Kölsch fully embrace the deeply unsettling themes of mortality from the book. And WOW Jeté Laurence. They really pushed it with this adaptation & it worked for me - big time.

Pet Sematary has the kind of serious balls any good adaptation should have. The themes and encroaching dread of King’s novel are alive and well, but there are enough clever deviations to give diehard fans some welcome surprises. Big ups all around, but Seimetz is a legend.

Pet Sematary delivers a solid sense of dread from start to finish. It earns its well-timed jump scares, and terrific sound design and gnarly effects add extra layers of creepy. I think King fans will dig it. Move over Goose, it’s Church’s turn.

Pet Sematary is very average. Good acting, sound design, and production value. But it’s never scary enough, never tense enough. Once the horror stuff REALLY kicks in, it’s pretty much over. I don’t know what I was expecting, but I wanted more out of this.

Pet Sematary is a fucking BLAST. Holy shit! I’m giddy right now. One of the best King adaptations to date!

Actual reviews will drop tomorrow, 18 days before the film's release on April 5th.
    Update: the reviews for Pet Sematary have started to pour in. The film currently stands at 100% or Rottentomatoes; with an average rating of 8.8/10, and at 69/100 on metacritic.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,333
    bondsum wrote: »

I also liked Hereditary a lot, and as Aster's new film seems to have a 'Wicker Man' type look i am really interested.

Not so much with Roth's new project. The book sounds like Deliverance with women and i just don't rate Roth as a director. The potential Green Inferno had to be a modern exploitation classic was completely killed by Roth's inept direction.
    The book synopsis certainly implies a female Deliverance scenario but it doesn’t really turn into anything remotely memorable or scary. I’ve read a lot of books since Erica Ferencik‘s novel, but I can’t honestly say it stayed with me. The outcome was a tad predictable is all I do remember. Oh, and that it was set in Stephen King’s Maine. I also believe it’s one of those stories that works better as the written word through the eyes of the female protagonist. I can just see it garnering 2 star reviews when it’s finally released as a movie.

I don’t disagree about Green Inferno either. It wasn’t as harrowing as I thought it was going to be. It was almost laughable.
    Pet Sematary clocks in at 1 hour & 41 minutes (2 minutes shorter than the 1989 version).
    First official look at Annabelle Comes Home:

anna3-first-look-image.jpg

Starring: Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga.

Release date: June 28, 2019.
    First poster for the Guillermo Del Toro produced Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark:

mouf3znejso21.jpg

A group of teens face their fears in order to save their lives.

Release date: August 9, 2019.

The first trailer is coming later today.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm game for both of those. :)
    Cillian Murphy is officially onboard A Quiet Place 2.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/cillian-murphy-talks-join-a-quiet-place-sequel-1198028

----

Fred Williamson, William Sadler, Martin Kove, David Patrick Kelly and George Wendt join Stephen Lang in the horror flick V.F.W..

Fred and his military buddies must defend their local V.F.W. post – and an innocent teen – against a deranged drug dealer and his relentless army of punk mutants.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3553446/fred-williamson-william-sadler-martin-kove-join-stephen-lang-horror-film-v-f-w/
    Mark Hamill will voice Chucky in the upcoming Child's Play remake, coming June 21, 2019.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/childs-play-mark-hamill-tar-wars-joker-chucky-orion-1202585616/

----

First trailer for Annabelle Comes Home:

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mark Hamil, damn... that's a really good choice. I still don't think the film is needed though, especially with the original series in such a good place as it is.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 12,249
    Mark Hamill is an awesome voice actor. Coming from someone who really didn’t have much interest in the remake and feels Dourif cannot be topped as Chucky, that’s about the best choice possible. Now I’m a little more interested, but still skeptical.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Suddenly this news makes me very excited. However, I'm a sucker for continuity, which is why I don't know why they went for this film instead of another Brad Dourif sequel in a series that, with its last four entries, was going pretty strong.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Anyone else think the new Annabelle looks really bad?
    Denbigh wrote: »

Never cared for any of them myself. Growing extremely stale.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »

Will probably skip it in theatres but I did enjoy both Conjuring films and the second Annabelle film. The first Annabelle and The Nun were both rubbish, though.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    for those interested, i dropped a video on my YouTube channel about the surprise announcement of Mark Hamill as Chucky in the Child's Play remake.... check it out below....

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I always love seeing "lost" or forgotten footage, but the less occult-focused sequences in this series, the better.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 13,894
    As interested as I am in seeing this scene, I don't think it will be anywhere near good enough to salvage H5, if inserted back into the film. It sounds more like a Jason kill, to be honest.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    As interested as I am in seeing this scene, I don't think it will be anywhere near good enough to salvage H5, if inserted back into the film. It sounds more like a Jason kill, to be honest.

I'm interested because it makes more sense.
    The Conjuring 3 gets an official release date: September 11, 2020.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3553938/conjuring-3-set-scare-audience-september-2020/
    First footage detail for IT: Chapter 2:

The It Chapter 2 footage shown at CinemaCon wasn’t a trailer, but rather a scene that gave way to a quick sizzle reel. The scene in question is lifted directly from Stephen King’s book. The adult Bev Marsh (Jessica Chastain) returns to her childhood home in Derry, looking for her father. Instead, she encounters an old woman named Mrs. Kersh now living in the house. Mrs. Kersh sadly informs Bev that her father passed away, and then invites Bev into her house.

Bev obliges. Once inside, she finds the old poem on the postcard Ben sent her in the first film. And then things start to get creepy. “You know what they say about Derry,” says Mrs. Kersh. “No one who dies here never really dies.” She fixes Bev with a scary, blank stare, and sure enough, Pennywise soon rears his ugly head.

From here, the audience was treated to quick flashes from the film: the adult Losers’ Club wandering through empty streets. The younger Losers’ Club riding their bikes. An adult Bev rising out of a lake of blood. Bill Hader as the adult Richie beneath a giant statue of Paul Bunyan (another item lifted directly from the book). The adults regrouping and returning to the sewers. And of course, a ton of red balloons being released into the sky.

Release date: September 6, 2019.

https://www.slashfilm.com/it-chapter-2-footage-reaction/

----

First footage detail for Doctor Sleep:

We got a glimpse behind the scenes, with Ewan McGregor (sporting a beard as the grown-up Danny) explaining that the film directly addresses his character’s traumatic stay at the Overlook Hotel. Specifically: “How does he deal with that terrible experience from his childhood?” Naturally, the presentation also noted that Stephen King is very involved in the production.

The sneak peek itself featured snippets of intriguing footage. A car driving through the woods in the beginning was clearly reminiscent of the opening sequence from The Shining. A group of people gathered around a campfire – possibly the villains of the film, a nomadic group of people with powerful psychic abilities who prey on those who can “shine.” We also see Danny touch hands with a young girl (possibly Abra Stone, a psychic kid played by Kyliegh Curran). Then there’s a shot of a woman walking with a needle hidden behind her back. Could this be Rose the Hat (Rebecca Ferguson), the main villain of the film?

Finally, the kicker: Danny stands in a filthy bathroom and “redrum” is scratched into the mirror.

Release date: November 8, 2019.

https://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-sleep-cinemacon/