The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Simon Pegg & Nick Frost are developing the horror film Svalta.

The story follows a family on their summer vacation to a remote Swedish island where they discover a serial killer is on the loose but the locals have no interest in helping the stranded family of tourists.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/svalta-simon-pegg-nick-frost-sell-horror-pitch-to-orion-pictures-1202628077/
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »

If it's as good as I'm hoping it's going to be then I don't mind the long runtime.

His brilliant Hereditary was quite long as I recall.

IMDB says 2 hours 7 minutes for that one. It's one of my favorite horror films in recent memory - I know absolutely nothing about Midsommar (the less I know going in, the better), hoping to see this opening night and be pleasantly surprised.

Also, seems the first trailer for Rob Zombie's 3 From Hell will drop in five days:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3565482/rob-zombie-teases-3-hell-trailer-new-look-clint-howard-mr-baggy-britches/

I also don't want to know too much about Midsommar. I've seen the trailer and liked it so i hope to keep any info about the film far away from me until after i've seen it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Haven t seen any of those movies, but they look more fun than horrifying.
    I DESPISED the first one, but loved Devils Rejects. So who knows how I'll like this one, lol
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I haven't seen a single Rob Zombie flick yet that I didn't like, and that includes H2 (which I don't treat as a Halloween film but just a good old wacko RZ film) and El SuperBeasto. I love the man's work and it was House Of A 1000 Corpses that got me hooked almost instantly. So this new film looks like it was once more made for me. Perhaps I'm the world's only Rob Zombie fan, but I am a fan of his films. (And comics.)
    edited June 2019 Posts: 40,478
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I haven't seen a single Rob Zombie flick yet that I didn't like, and that includes H2 (which I don't treat as a Halloween film but just a good old wacko RZ film) and El SuperBeasto. I love the man's work and it was House Of A 1000 Corpses that got me hooked almost instantly. So this new film looks like it was once more made for me. Perhaps I'm the world's only Rob Zombie fan, but I am a fan of his films. (And comics.)

Did you see 31? Fans seemed to loathe it but I really didn't mind it all that much, some proper gore and a few scenery-chewing performances that I liked. The only one of his I've seen that I wholeheartedly didn't like was H2.
    Don't care for Zombie's style - musically or film-wise - and especially dislike his Halloween films.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Got invited to an advance showing of Child's Play (2019) for next Tuesday, June 18th. Really curious about this film.

Did you see 31? Fans seemed to loathe it but I really didn't mind it all that much, some proper gore and a few scenery-chewing performances that I liked. The only one of his I've seen that I wholeheartedly didn't like was H2.

I have seen that one, @Creasy47. In fact, I moved heaven and earth to get a physical copy of the film. I agree with your assessment.

I also like Lords Of Salem, but apparently not too many other people do.

As for H2, well, I've already said it: I don't treat it as a Haloween film but purely as a "Rob Zombie goes Bonkers" film. It works fine that way. ;-)
    I've seen quite a few fans say Lords of Salem is one of his strongest films and other say it was horrible. I still need to see it, going to make a priority of doing so in the future.
    First poster for the Stephen King's Doctor Sleep:

(Trailer coming later today)

fi8zscais4431.jpg
  • Highly anticipating the trailer! Not long then :)
  • I'm intrigued. I haven't read the book yet, so i do wonder how it'll compare.
    The Shining is one of my all-time favorite films (and my #1 horror film), so I’m definitely intrigued. Looks good.
    Got invited to an advance showing of Child's Play (2019) for next Tuesday, June 18th. Really curious about this film.
    Fantastic! How did you swing that? Please let us know how it goes.

62356502_10102032769880041_8619177181777494016_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQkoOVjsxXvEaOFDZw5q1cyFdKJveqYqAXJumATE2ak3y0Z1j4-5wcdhx_WPI8aCXJU&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-3.fna&oh=3a1fcb951c2062356aef82e4e88b1f64&oe=5D7E1361
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    !won ni detseretni ma I mlif ylno eht si PEELS ROTCOD ,raey siht eivom rehto yreve tegroF
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    !won ni detseretni ma I mlif ylno eht si PEELS ROTCOD ,raey siht eivom rehto yreve tegroF

I had no idea you mastered Rumanian.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,378

I had no idea you mastered Rumanian.

I am fluent in hceeps esrever and jbmlue seceph
    ef8zkdnm16431.jpg
    Highly doubt it will top the awesome original.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Wait, is this a joke? Black Christmas was already remade back in 2006. #-o
    Another Black Christmas? Awesome! :D They sure are heavy on the remakes and reboots, aren't they? :) I guess the motto is: try and then try some more.

But hey, Jason Blum is behind it. He seems capable of finding the right people for the job. Halloween 2018 was a successful "return" after several highly polarizing attempts. And since the 2006 Black Christmas is only memorable to fans of Crystal Lowe's body, I guess no-one will say this is "too soon".
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Another Black Christmas? Awesome! :D They sure are heavy on the remakes and reboots, aren't they? :) I guess the motto is: try and then try some more.

But hey, Jason Blum is behind it. He seems capable of finding the right people for the job. Halloween 2018 was a successful "return" after several highly polarizing attempts. And since the 2006 Black Christmas is only memorable to fans of Crystal Lowe's body, I guess no-one will say this is "too soon".

I gotta admit, I was too smitten with Lacey Chabert to notice Crystal Lowe.
    I'll probably see it eventually because I really enjoy the property, but:

A. Why?

B. No way it tops the original. One of my favorites.
  • Blumhouse is on a roll. I'm excited for a new take on it.
    I'll probably see it eventually because I really enjoy the property, but:

A. Why?

Indeed, why? For horror, I can at least understand that "every generation is entitled to its own batch of scary icons". That said, Black Christmas doesn't really introduce an iconic Jason, Michael, Freddy, Pinhead, Chucky, Leatherface... It's a sorority house slasher flick; one of many I might add. Its status is to a large extent built on it being the slasher that came before Halloween. Also, nothing wrong with teaching new generations to always seek out the gold that was dug up when their parents and grandparents went to see a movie.
    B. No way it tops the original. One of my favorites.

Then again, for different reasons, it might top the original. I'm always open to the possibility that a remake, reboot, re-whatever can be the better film in other categories than, of course, our nostalgic love for the original. E.g., I think the '78 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is a better film than the Don Siegel original.

Anyway, I'm always willing to give a "new" iteration of an established formula a chance. Black Christmas will be no different. ;-)
    I just enjoy the original too much and I think horror has grown rather stale in years past to manage to top it. Time will tell - the likes of The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead delivered remakes that I actually preferred to the originals, so I guess it's always a possibility. Still odd to see another remake less than 15 years after the last one.