The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    A reboot set in the 80s would be nice, actually. There's a certain charm to that idea, especially in these nostalgia driven times.
    The only issue there is how do you handle Pamela Voorhees?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Tough question. Taking lessons from modern "elevated horror" films, minimalism is the right way to do it but then with, at its core, a few thought-provoking themes. Blum did things right with Halloween 2018 whereas Platinum Dunes made two mistakes IMO with F13: they sacrificed one collection of tweens right before they introduced another far too late in the movie, and they had no idea what to do with Pamela Voorhees so they did nothing with her instead.

I'd say we keep Camp Crystal Lake, Jason still hates promiscuous teens and the tradition of the final girl remains intact. Let's also defy modern PC culture by still going for bags full of T&A, blood and gore. A clever screenwriter can make Jason and the final girl philosophical opposites and likes at the same time, offering both an interesting "backstory" without going for the obvious coincidence of the two of them being related. But all of this must be in balance. Too much visceral slashing (say, under Rob Zombie's direction) might stray too far away from the "heart and soul" of the series, while too much introspective contemplation might kill the mood.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    gbLhoop.jpg
    k3zhnn3.jpg
    qVoqUl8.jpg
    S3O61kU.jpg
    They are some cracking posters!!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Samuel L Jackson is rumoured to be featured in the cast of the upcoming ninth Saw film.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3571173/saw-chris-rock-starring-samuel-l-jackson-rumor/
    edited July 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Update: Samuel L Jackson is officially confirmed to be in the upcoming 9th Saw installment.

https://www.thewrap.com/samuel-l-jackson-joins-chris-rocks-saw-reboot/

----

As for another rumour:

Director David Gordon Green is possibly returning to direct 2 Halloween sequels back-to-back.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3571159/halloween-rumor-david-gordon-green-returning-direct-back-back-sequels/
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    In answer of the F13 post by @Denbigh, here's my thoughts.

What i'd like, is the equivalent of Curse Of Chucky. Now here's the thing, I don't like it when we are told to forget x number of films in a series. However... Jason X paints the series quite firmly into a corner. We go from 2010 to 2455. The only way forward I could see, that also keeps Jason X as part of 'My Timeline' was to say that the Jason of Jason X, that becomes Uber Jason, and ends the film on Earth 2, wasn't the real Jason. It was a clone. We don't know what exactly was going on deep down in the Crystal Lake Research Facility. The problem there, is that 'my' F13 film is trying to get away from the sci-fi of Jason X. So sort of begrudgingly (I don't actually hate Jason X), I decided to act like those events never took place.

'My' F13 would actually be a sequel to JGTH but take place in 2019. Hell wouldn't be shown nor mentioned. In JGTH, it's said that the campsite was torn down 'years' ago. And those events took place around 2003.

So my overall idea is that after a multi-million dollar renovation, a big water park has been built on the land where the camp site once stood. There won't be any space, or body hopping. Jason will be dead and buried, beneath the park. Unbeknownst to the sketchy park owner. So with with Jason believed dead for years, the park is up and running. All is rosy. I haven't figured out how to resurrect Jason, but it will be early on.

Cast?
    Jason would have to be played by Kane Hodder. I know that he has spoken about having trouble with his knees, after 35+ years of performing stunts, but I think he might be good one one last film. The rest of the cast would have the classic templates. The meek bookish one who finds the inner strength to survive, the bitchy one, the douchey one and the park owner would be unscrupulous. I'm thinking of possibly Jeffrey Combs for the park owner. I did also toy with the idea of bringing back Tina (Lar Park Lincoln). But as much as Tina is my favourite final girl of the series, Ii couldn't see Tina fitting with the more stripped back film.

As for director, I would go with Adam Green. Green is a massive F13 fan, and would most likely secure Kane Hodder as Jason. Writing duties would go to the Soska sisters (who I would also like to see direct an F13 film... maybe the sequel).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Hmmm interesting thoughts @MajorDSmythe :)

If it was up to me I think I'd go one of two ways. Either you go for a tone and story that feels like one of the classics. A campy, slightly comedic slasher movie that you would more likely remember for its nudity and gore than its wooden, stereotypical characters. Although don't get me wrong, I do enjoy these kind of movies, but what I'd really like to do with the franchise is take it even more seriously and create a slasher film, not a "popcorn slasher". A slasher film.

I understand that people want to be entertained and want to see young adults getting chopped up in many different ways, but that would still be there, but for once you build up an actual with development, interesting well thought out characters, a good story and a more interesting and dynamic tone that would distance this film from its predecessors, while still paying homage to the legacy.

My references for this "reboot" are films like Midsommar, Hereditary and Green Room, and before you say it, yes I understand these films don't fit within the slasher genre and could be considered more like art-house pictures, but I think the amount of thought, care and creativity that goes into films and stories like these could really benefit the genre and create something original.

As for the plot I would start with the characters and go from there. I've been doing a bit of this, and have decided we would have eight young adults who will be our main characters and victims throughout the film. Some will obviously be more developed than others, but each character would be vital to the story and their deaths will feel appropriate and part of the narrative.

I also think the idea of grief can be used more of a theme in this series, as it's basically on what the franchise is built off with the rampage of Pamela Voorhees after the supposed death of her son Jason. As for that, you're probably wondering about the timeline. I thought about setting it in the 80's, but I felt with now being in 2019 and the success of Stranger Things and IT taking all the limelight of 80's horror, I'm going to set this in modern-day and will be a reboot.

Although things have changed. So instead of Jason drowning in 1957 and Pamela Voorhees killing two counsellors and then continuing the murders years later in 1979, I'm going to combine the two events...

So, Jason drowns in 1979 and while a police search is being carried out for the young boy, Pamela believing him to be dead due to the counsellors, she kills several counsellors who had stayed behind even though lots of kids and a lot of the counsellors had been sent home. Although Pamela was caught and beheaded by one of the counsellors.

Our film set in modern-day is a group of modern young adults who for all different reasons have decided to get a job as counsellors, reopening Camp Crystal Lake after 40 years, but after a slow-build are stalked by Jason, who wants revenge for the death of his mother.

Sorry that's a lot :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    While not a great film, I do think the 2009 film captured the right tone when it comes to balancing pure slasher thrills with the more supernatural elements. Also, it had some great kills. I'd be happy to see something like that again, but with slightly ( ;) ) less focus on ridiculous sex scenes between irredeemable teenagers.

Also, re: Pamela Voorhees, I'd rather her not be front and centre. The series works better with Jason as the main antagonist. Rewatching the first film recently, I was surprised at how uninvolved I was.

Granted, that's an easy thing to say retrospectively, but....
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    While not a great film, I do think the 2009 film captured the right tone when it comes to balancing pure slasher thrills with the more supernatural elements. Also, it had some great kills. I'd be happy to see something like that again, but with slightly ( ;) ) less focus on ridiculous sex scenes between irredeemable teenagers.

Also, re: Pamela Voorhees, I'd rather her not be front and centre. The series works better with Jason as the main antagonist. Rewatching the first film recently, I was surprised at how uninvolved I was.

I completely agree about Pamela Voorhees.

Would love to hear your thoughts on what I'd do with the franchise @CraigMooreOHMSS...

...although it's quite the read :)
    Denbigh wrote: »

Would love to hear your thoughts on what I'd do with the franchise @CraigMooreOHMSS...

I think we're on a similar line of thinking, @Denbigh

I especially think eight young adults is a fair number - not too few, not too much. I would add that it might be nice to have a non-counselor/slightly older character as one of the mains, ala Chief Brody's role in Jaws 2; perhaps a Sheriff who had a family member disappear (a wife, perhaps) near Camp Crystal Lake and has been waiting to catch Jason ever since, desperate for revenge himself. An older character would really anchor the film and provide an emotional centre amidst the teenage counselor carnage.

That might tie in with your exploration of the theme of 'grief', too.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I especially think eight young adults is a fair number - not too few, not too much. I would add that it might be nice to have a non-counselor/slightly older character as one of the mains, ala Chief Brody's role in Jaws 2; perhaps a Sheriff who had a family member disappear (a wife, perhaps) near Camp Crystal Lake and has been waiting to catch Jason ever since, desperate for revenge himself. An older character would really anchor the film and provide an emotional centre amidst the teenage counselor carnage.

I think so too, I even think you could add a couple of older characters. Firstly, having a Sheriff is an interesting choice and boosts the body count. I also think you can update Crazy Ralph to be more of a local old man who has had first hand experience with the dangers of Camp Crystal Lake, maybe he worked at the camp or even had a relative of his perish at the hands of Pamela Voorhees or Jason if people have been going missing over the years since the original murders. Also you can have a few townies near the beginning or feel a bit ominous but react as normal people would to a town that has a history of murder.

I think so too, I even think you could add a couple of older characters. Firstly, having a Sheriff is an interesting choice and boosts the body count. I also think you can update Crazy Ralph to be more of a local old man who has had first hand experience with the dangers of Camp Crystal Lake, maybe he worked at the camp or even had a relative of his perish at the hands of Pamela Voorhees or Jason if people have been going missing over the years since the original murders. Also you can have a few townies near the beginning or feel a bit ominous but react as normal people would to a town that has a history of murder.

You could heighten the anguish further by potentially having the Sheriff talk about how the Pamela Voorhees case went unsolved (at the time, he was still a deputy, maybe?) because nobody really cared about her, so he now feels personally responsible for the loss of his own wife and the deaths of the counselors.

Vengeance, thy name is Jason.

It's essentially the same sort of stuff as what Halloween '18 touched upon, but with a few adjustments to fit the Friday mythos.

Re: the town. Yes, definitely lots of potential to show how they feel about the history of the place.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

You could heighten the anguish further by potentially having the Sheriff talk about how the Pamela Voorhees case went unsolved (at the time, he was still a deputy, maybe?) because nobody really cared about her, so he now feels personally responsible for the loss of his own wife and the deaths of the counselors.

It's essentially the same sort of stuff as what Halloween '18 touched upon, but with a few adjustments to fit the Friday mythos.

Re: the town. Yes, definitely lots of potential to show how they feel about the history of the place.

So much to work with and yet no-one has the balls to make a new reboot haha :D

Let me do it! Haha I think structurally I would have it open with the main characters, introduce them and the final girl who will a lot more like a real human being and not rule under the rules of stereotyped characters. She's not a virgin or a kick-ass Jason slayer, just a character who is going through a lot. I had the idea of her unsure of her future and using that as her fuel, having another character, maybe a boyfriend who has got into a good college and is using the experience to boost his resume, so he's very aware of his future so is a bit more comfortable, whereas she yet completely clueless about what she'll do next, manages to fight back and survive. But I kinda want most of them to fight back, which is where the similarity to Green Room comes in.

So we introduce the characters, slowly build tension when they get to the lake, have an off-screen kill which effects the characters and moves the story forward. At some point before this we can have a campfire story and a flashback to the original murders which I imagine as one long shot going around the freshly found crime scene and then slowly zooming on the decapitated head of Pamela Voorhees. Then we go into the kills, which is also followed by remaining counsellors deciding to try and fight back and escape instead of just the final girl, but it will still probably end with her reigning victorious and escaping the hand of Jason who may or may not be dead.

So much to work with and yet no-one has the balls to make a new reboot haha :D

Let me do it! Haha I think structurally I would have it open with the main characters, introduce them and the final girl who will a lot more like a real human being and not rule under the rules of stereotyped characters. She's not a virgin or a kick-ass Jason slayer, just a character who is going through a lot. I had the idea of her unsure of her future and using that as her fuel, having another character, maybe a boyfriend who has got into a good college and is using the experience to boost his resume, so he's very aware of his future so is a bit more comfortable, whereas she yet completely clueless about what she'll do next, manages to fight back and survive. But I kinda want most of them to fight back, which is where the similarity to Green Room comes in.

So we introduce the characters, slowly build tension when they get to the lake, have an off-screen kill which effects the characters and moves the story forward. At some point before this we can have a campfire story and a flashback to the original murders which I imagine as one long shot going around the freshly found crime scene and then slowly zooming on the decapitated head of Pamela Voorhees. Then we go into the kills, which is also followed by remaining counsellors deciding to try and fight back and escape instead of just the final girl, but it will still probably end with her reigning victorious and escaping the hand of Jason who may or may not be dead.

....and make sure you kill the annoying one first! ;)
    I have a similar question and one I have been talking to offline from a few people

if you were to do a serious Jaws Sequel how would you do it? and again much like Friday the 13th don't say don't

as for Denbigh's question I think the idea of a documentary turned blood bath is interesting there are so many podcasts and videos about people doing stupid possibly dangerous things I think utilizing that culture to create a Friday the 13th movie (NOT a found footage film) I think the idea of us going into the woods to try and find out why people disappear or what monsters might lurk in them is interesting
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2019 Posts: 13,894
    Personally, i'm ok with not seeing Pamela Vorhees again. She's part of the legacy, she wont be forgotten, but we don't need to see her again. Just... keep it simple. I wouldn't focus too much on themes, rather new kills and new twists on old kills. If Kane is Jason, maybe work in the sleeping back kill. That's a classic.

As for Jaws.... i've never thought about another Jaws film. The first films is a stone cold classic, the 2nd was ok, after that it got messy. I don't think the series has enough legs for a new sequel. I would say the exact same thing for the Wishmaster series. I, personally, love the original Wishmaster. It is my favourite 90's horror movie. The 2nd one just barely scrapes by thanks to Andrew Divoff reprising his role from the first film. The 3rd film is straight up forgetable. Other than it not having Andrew Divoff as The Djinn, I don't remember anything about the film. The 4th film I do remember a lot about.... unfortunately.
    I think the problem with doing something new with Jaws is that we've come a long way since the days of seeing sharks as monsters. It might not be all too popular to demonise them in the way that would be required to make another film worthwhile.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 15,690
    First concept image (not an official still) of the Train to Busan sequel, Peninsula:

e5-D3-K-a-Ldl-I3-Wk-TYGO7-L-dpb80-LGj-NHY0h9-r0-R-H38.jpg

Peninsula is set 4 years after Train to Busan and deals with a band of survivors trying to escape from the country ravaged by an unknown virus. Outside of the zombie threat, it seems like military remnant faction will serve as a secondary antagonist.

The same director returns, who says he will portray "more desparate and fierece" battle for survival while expanding the universe established in the previous film.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think the next two franchises that need a reboot, apart from FT13, are A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream.

Scream is less likely (with the newly rebooted series) but I think bringing back to the big screen and creating a new and fresh story that's self aware about the current generation could be really interesting as long as it's not a 2-D cardboard cut out of a "self-aware, modern slasher".

As for A Nightmare on Elm Street. For me the films work best when they're as grounded as they can be and takes itself a little more seriously. Of course Freddy will be making jokes and Englund should definitely return despite doing a reboot, but it should still have an interesting story and characters as well as murder and dark humour.
    I think Scream is best left off the menu when it comes to reboots, for the time being. In order to be effective, it'd need to approach things with a current horror trend in mind to provide that biting undercurrent that the first two handled so well.

Scream 4 already tackled remakes, so they're off the table.

Agreed on Nightmare though. Would be happy to have the big three icons on screen again.
    The Scream series is excellent. With Craven gone, the series should also be left alone.
    Scream was much less Craven's than it was Williamson's. Though I like about half of Craven's films, he also gave us a lot of really bad stuff, stuff so bad in fact, I must question Craven's talents as a filmmaker. All things considered, I believe he got "lucky" on a few occasions, catching lightning in a bottle as it were. But I seriously doubt that Scream couldn't find new life without him.
    If Robert England came back as Freddy, I would pray that he had the New Nightmare look.
    If Robert England came back as Freddy, I would pray that he had the New Nightmare look.

Englund's getting up there in years and apparently, playing Freddy was physically exhausting. That said, if Englund should return, yes, absolutely, bring back the New Nightmare look, please! It was effective, scary, it had a bit of a child predator look and one hell of a set of Satanic eyes.
    Therein lies the big problem, my friend. Could Englund still play Freddy? Assuming There will be a new ANOES, would could take over as Freddy?
    I rather liked JEH in the part, but I take it that boat has sailed.

I wouldn't mind Walton Goggins to be honest. I think he's a vastly underrated actor who should be getting stronger and more elevated parts. He also has that distinct look that might work to his advantage under a layer of makeup.

220px-Walton_Goggins_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Looks like we're getting somewhat of a Friday the 13th reboot with the newest season of American Horror Story.

hunt-xlg.jpg
    Another adaptation of The Most Dangerous Game? :)