The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    In Imogen Poots' defense, everyone was either bad or forgettable in Need For Speed. I had even forgotten that the great Michael Keaton was in that film until I checked his IMDB page recently.

I've still not seen that and I doubt I ever do. As for Black Christmas, I skimmed the trailer - seems a bit cheesy, can't say I have any interest in it myself. At least it seems like they're taking it in a twistier, more inventive direction, I suppose, but the original is all I need from the "series."

Can't argue with that. For the record, the relentless completist inside me is like a demon that warrants its own horror series. I mean, you ARE talking to the man who has seen all the Return Of The Living Dead, Leprechaun, Children Of The Corn, Hellraiser, ... sequels like a boss.

The original BC is all that one needs, and yet, remakes like these are calling to me like manure calls to flies. ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    In Imogen Poots' defense, everyone was either bad or forgettable in Need For Speed. I had even forgotten that the great Michael Keaton was in that film until I checked his IMDB page recently.

I've still not seen that and I doubt I ever do. As for Black Christmas, I skimmed the trailer - seems a bit cheesy, can't say I have any interest in it myself. At least it seems like they're taking it in a twistier, more inventive direction, I suppose, but the original is all I need from the "series."

Can't argue with that. For the record, the relentless completist inside me is like a demon that warrants its own horror series. I mean, you ARE talking to the man who has seen all the Return Of The Living Dead, Leprechaun, Children Of The Corn, Hellraiser, ... sequels like a boss.

The original BC is all that one needs, and yet, remakes like these are calling to me like manure calls to flies. ;-)

You're a better man than I - I've not seen most of those sequels, and as much as I love the Hellraiser franchise, I had to give up when Bradley was recast. Those installments simply looked horrible, quick and generic productions in the hopes of keeping the license for the time being.

I can't fault you for checking it out eventually (provided it's free, of course!) I may do the same - I saw the Black Christmas remake, and while it certainly had a couple of cool kills and creepy moments, it also had nothing on the stark eeriness and hopeless dread that the original is pulsating with.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The original Black Christmas is a classic slasher, and possibly the first true example of a slasher film. As for the remake... I erm… alright, look, I only watched it because of Lacey Chabert. There, I said it. I most likely will see the re-remake at some point, out of curiosity, but I won't go out of my way to do so.

I think we have now established that @DarthDimi is a masochist. ;)
    The original Black Christmas is a classic slasher, and possibly the first true example of a slasher film. As for the remake... I erm… alright, look, I only watched it because of Lacey Chabert.

@MajorDSmythe, Dimi wholeheartedly agrees with you.

fsY0kq5u_400x400.jpeg

Yes, I am. I'm currently watching Lake Placid 3. I repeat I am a masochist.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2019 Posts: 13,894
    The original Black Christmas is a classic slasher, and possibly the first true example of a slasher film. As for the remake... I erm… alright, look, I only watched it because of Lacey Chabert.

@MajorDSmythe, Dimi wholeheartedly agrees with you.

fsY0kq5u_400x400.jpeg

Oh lawd. :x

Yes, I am. I'm currently watching Lake Placid 3. I repeat I am a masochist.

I think I have seen that one. *looks on imdb* Yeah, that's the one. As a fan of Eureka, I kept expecting to hear "Aww crap" from Colin Ferguson's character. And not forgetting Sam Fisher.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,869
    @DaltonCraig007 Thanks mate! I was really excited about this film, and I have to say the tailer was pretty weak. Although to be honest trailers don't really speak for a film these days, just make it look crapper than it actually is (sometimes). As for Imogen Poots, she looks great as always. Such a good actress and a very underrated British talent.
    That new Black Christmas looks bad, and I'm not surprised. The original '74 film should have just been left alone. Going to see It Chapter 2 tomorrow; despite the mixed reviews, I'm still very excited for it! I'll be rewatching Chapter 1 tonight in advance as a refresher.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Final trailer for Doctor Sleep:

I have a lot of confidence in Flanagan that he will deliver.

Anyone as excited as I am for Raimi's reboot "Grudge" movie, coming out next year?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @DaltonCraig007 I cannot wait for The Lighthouse, looks incredible. A24 are killing it.

Anyway, looks like the Wrong Turn reboot has started filming.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3583149/filming-begun-new-installment-wrong-turn-franchise/

Wrong-Turn.jpg
    Okay... :) I'm a fan of the original. I dug the second and third instalments. Everything after that is more of the same; much more of the same: nudity and pain. I guess I'm in then. :)
    Okay... :) I'm a fan of the original. I dug the second and third instalments. Everything after that is more of the same; much more of the same: nudity and pain. I guess I'm in then. :)

20 tickets, please.
    I saw the first two, and that was it for me. I figured the series had died. I guess not.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think they're gonna try and go less campy this time around.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

20 tickets, please.

Or as a friend of mine describes it, "titties and torture".

He's a fan of alliteration.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 15,690

----

20 tickets, please.

Or as a friend of mine describes it, "titties and torture".

He's a fan of alliteration.

I'm also a fan... of topless and terrifying, nude and nasty, scary and sexy. Yes, I'm a fan of "horror". ;-)
    Doctor Sleep to clock in at 2 hours & 31 minutes (5 minutes longer than The Shining).
    I don't mind as long as the 2.5 hours are worth my time. I believe this will be Flanagan's longest film to date. He's also written and edited the film, so I'm fairly confident. Six really good feature-length horror films so far, all made on a shoestring budget but showing Flanagan's abilities as a filmmaker.

That was my thought upon seeing the article yesterday. They really are trying (and failing) with this series anymore. The last installment I enjoyed was the 2003 remake, which I wholeheartedly love.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,869
    @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47 I actually don't mind this, especially with Alvarez on board in some capacity.

I loved his remake of Evil Dead.
    Other than the original, the only other TCM film I liked, is Leatherface: TCM3. And given how there seems to be a call for a female this, that and the other, i'm surprised they haven't tried a daughter of Leatherface, following in daddy's footsteps. It would be disturbing, but then so is the original.
    I agree with @Creasy47. The 2003 film was raw, bloody, tense and creepy. But since then, with the obvious exception of The Beginning, TCM seems to have lost its sting.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think the next remake (if that's the plan) should take some notes from more high-brow horror films, like the first one was (imo).
    Speculation is that the next TCM might take a cue from Halloween 2018. Which I hope is not true, as while it has some good bits, I really didn't think it was as good as other thought. If Michael was now human and nothing more, then how does he survive being shot 6 times? And don't get me started on the "Gotcha!". #-o

Also some ANOES news:
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3584709/the-u-s-rights-to-a-nightmare-on-elm-street-and-freddy-krueger-have-reverted-back-to-wes-cravens-estate/

The comment by J Jett sums up how I feel.
    Or we can just acknowledge that the original was another glorious product of the fruitful '70s, my favourite decade in horror. It talked about a new generation of people, still willing to consume hamburgers and other processed meat but too sensitive to handle the sight of an animal being slaughtered. It pitched city slicker hypocrisy against the rawness of rural America when the differences were beginning to show even in our choices of food and our overall ethics. TCM came at the right time.

But since then, Leatherface has turned from an effective horror metaphor into just another slasher killer with infinite stamina. The fear factor is gone. The sheer shock of learning that such primitive, barbaric behaviour is possible in the USA is gone too. Modern fears have shifted towards viruses, organised jihads as well as lone wolves, extreme weather conditions and confusing paradigm shifts in social norms. The big poser with his chainsaw is no different from some of the cheapest "creeps" in straight-to-DVD horror. The appeal is gone.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think these properties need to take a leaf out of Guadingno's book as well.

The remake of Suspiria was one of my favourite films of 2018.
    I don't really have a favourite decade, but if I did, it would be either the 80's or the 90's. The 80's gave us Friday The 13th and the slasher explosion that happened afterwards. While the 90's was a mix. On one hand, he had the next generation of slashers with the likes of Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer & Urban Legend. On the other hand, the established horror series were starting to experiment with their respective formulas; Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday, Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers, Wes Craven's New Nightmare & Hellraiser IV: Bloodlines.