The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2019 Posts: 15,690
    James Wan’s new horror film, Malignant, will be released on August 14, 2020.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3590265/james-wans-new-horror-film-malignant-will-release-summer-2020/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    On the one hand, I'm looking forward to this film; on the other, the trailer looks "off". THE GRUDGE is a Japanese property and a fascinating one at that. Steeped in Japanese culture and operating from the playbook of Japanese folklore, THE GRUDGE needs that Japanese setting in my opinion to have any sort of impact. Also, Kayako. I'm not sure yet, but the trailer seems to hint at her being just another Conjuring-type evil ghost, a menacing spirit, but not the betrayed housewife she was in the original JU-ON films (and American remake). This trailer leads me to believe that someone picked up a spec script and decided to set it in the GRUDGE universe, although Raimi's involvement gives me some hope for more.

I will watch anything JU-ON/THE GRUDGE, although my affinity with the American contributions is low compared to my love for the Japanese output. Either way, I'm going in with an open mind and if this film gives me the scares I want out of a GRUDGE movie, I'll be happy.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 1,395
    Looks good! I was reading this morning that Grudge 2020 will take place during the events of 2004's Grudge, and it will be connected to both the Japanese originals AND the American remake.

edit: Link to article https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/10/28/the-grudge-movie-interview-nicolas-pesce-ju-on-connections
    Okay, THAT's very good news! Great. :)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    New poster for horror film Underwater:

underwater-kristen-stewart-poster.jpg?resize=768%2C1137&ssl=1

is this a shark film or.... I genuinely am wondering
    The Grudge trailer doesn't seem like it's bringing anything new or terribly intriguing to the table but that bit with the girl crawling under the bed is certainly nightmarish. I'll check it out eventually.
    Does anyone know when Color Out of Space will be released? It's been shown at film festivals etcetera, but will it be in theatres or on BR anytime soon?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Color Out of Space will be released? It's been shown at film festivals etcetera, but will it be in theatres or on BR anytime soon?

I've been curious, as well. Haven't heard anything but I believe it's still making the festival rounds currently, unless the Spain's Sitges Film Festival was its last appearance. Hopefully it's out by the holidays, I can't wait to see it.
    I have some confidence in Richard Stanley, even if his last directorial effort dates back to the early '90s when he was but a young man. But I'm one of those weird Lovecraft fanatics and any attempt at doing Lovecraft right--and I'm not sure this film will--is something I just need to watch. So yeah, I can't wait either.
    I have some confidence in Richard Stanley, even if his last directorial effort dates back to the early '90s when he was but a young man. But I'm one of those weird Lovecraft fanatics and any attempt at doing Lovecraft right--and I'm not sure this film will--is something I just need to watch. So yeah, I can't wait either.

Also not forgetting the legendary Nicolas Cage. ;-)

color-out-of-space.jpg
    I'll watch anything Joely Richardson is in, too, always loved her in Nip/Tuck. I'm ready for some more Cage insanity, particularly after Mandy.
    Mandy is positively the best thing an uncaged Cage has done in a thousand years, or at least since KICK-ASS. Even if he's getting about as many films made per year as, say, Steven Seagal, which is insane to begin with, Cage still manages to make even the bad ones highly enjoyable. (Seagal, meanwhile, is getting more delusional by the minute.)
    Mandy is positively the best thing an uncaged Cage has done in a thousand years, or at least since KICK-ASS. Even if he's getting about as many films made per year as, say, Steven Seagal, which is insane to begin with, Cage still manages to make even the bad ones highly enjoyable. (Seagal, meanwhile, is getting more delusional by the minute.)

Agreed. He's been delusional for years and I'm surprised there's still a market and hungry fans for the latest direct-to-DVD Seagal trash. He hasn't been relevant in decades.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,561

Agreed. He's been delusional for years and I'm surprised there's still a market and hungry fans for the latest direct-to-DVD Seagal trash. He hasn't been relevant in decades.

Seagal is a human pie. He spits out half a dozen films per year, most of those about some military guy still on active duty while Seagal is a senior citizen and can barely move due to inertia (see, it's simple physics). Seagal doesn't even change his look anymore. Same beard, same glasses, same haircut and often the same clothes!

steven-seagal-is-back-in-action-in-the-trailer-for-his-new-action-thriller-cartels-social-1000x520.jpg

He works with unknown "filmmakers" and "actors", has his name and face pasted on all over the place like he's thé star of the movie, while he's often in it for at most five minutes or so. He only talks anymore; those "cool" moves from back in the day are done by other people. "Smart" camera tricks have to conceal that Seagal himself barely does anything active anymore.

So I have to ask: is he paying bills? Is that it? I mean, who has been bleeding this man's bank accounts dry to the point where he must keep working until he's 95 to pay off debts? Sexual allegations suits? Is that it? Or his love for Putin perhaps? Whatever the case, this is getting out of hand. Seagal's output isn't just laughable, it's an environmental issue. Because who, apart from ironic types like myself, watches this man's movies? The days of Under Siege are loooooooong gone.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    df0925a2fbc8c263158b7d155f28ccbf.jpg

I haven't seen a Steven Seagull in... I don't know long. I had to look at his IMDB, and holy bird shit, the last one (chronologically) was Submerged in 2005. From what I remember, he was allready dubbing his own lines, badly, by that point. I have no idea what high water mark he sets himself these days.
    While I haven't seen any of his latest releases, I have seen what he looks like, and I don't know how anyone can take him seriously these days. Van Damme is still doing dtv films, but at least most of them have been much better than the usual dtv action film. And he is still convincing.

I revisited Out For Justice the other day, my favorite film of his, and even then the grand arrogance is on full display. Somehow, it got 1,000x worse in the decades since. I haven't seen anything of his in full since the generic Half Past Dead in the early 2000s. I've seen bits and pieces of clips of his more recent titles and they're beyond cringe, completely indescribable.
    I allowed myself to pick up a BR disc for 1 (!) euro in a store a few months ago. It was a 2009 Seagal film called AGAINST THE DARK, a zombie horror flick. I figured that it would at least give me a few good laughs to make the 1 euro worth it. In my defence, the poster does look awesome, doesn't it? ;-)

Against_the_Dark_movie_poster.jpg

O M G.

So, Seagal is, again, barely in it. He uses a katana to chop multiple zombies' heads off, but only in one or two scenes. For the most part, we're watching a bunch of nobodies in an abandoned hospital nagging about stuff as they proceed from one room to the next. The voiceover narration is supposed to insert drama, but serves only to irritate me. No nudity, no violence to speak of, no scares, NOTHING! Even RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 5 RAVE TO THE GRAVE has more "juice" to offer than this film. I don't care about the 1 euro I had to pay for this; I care about the 90 minutes of my life that were stolen by this film.
    He at least looks less bloated and slightly more interested on the poster, so I can understand why you opted to give it a shot.
    I'll be seeing Doctor Sleep this Thursday evening. Really excited for it!

For tonight I'll go check out Zombieland: Double Tap.
    df0925a2fbc8c263158b7d155f28ccbf.jpg

I haven't seen a Steven Seagull in... I don't know long. I had to look at his IMDB, and holy bird shit, the last one (chronologically) was Submerged in 2005. From what I remember, he was allready dubbing his own lines, badly, by that point. I have no idea what high water mark he sets himself these days.
    While I haven't seen any of his latest releases, I have seen what he looks like, and I don't know how anyone can take him seriously these days. Van Damme is still doing dtv films, but at least most of them have been much better than the usual dtv action film. And he is still convincing.
    God that is the scariest thing I ever saw
    I'll be seeing Doctor Sleep this Thursday evening. Really excited for it!

For tonight I'll go check out Zombieland: Double Tap.

Enjoy! I sort of can't believe Doctor Sleep is so close to release, feels like yesterday I saw that first teaser and it was months and months away.
    @Creasy47 I wonder when we can expect a first trailer for A Quiet Place 2. Comes out in March 2020, so should be soon.
    @Creasy47 I wonder when we can expect a first trailer for A Quiet Place 2. Comes out in March 2020, so should be soon.

True, it should definitely be here sometime next month at the latest.

True, it should definitely be here sometime next month at the latest.

Looking on Youtube, the first teaser for A Quiet Place arrived on November 16th 2017, with the film released on April 6, 2018. That's 17 days earlier in 2020 (March 20th) compared to 2018, and both films are distributed by Paramount - which has Terminator: Dark Fate hitting theaters this Friday in the US.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Risico007 wrote: »
    New poster for horror film Underwater:

underwater-kristen-stewart-poster.jpg?resize=768%2C1137&ssl=1

is this a shark film or.... I genuinely am wondering
    I´d say it´s a giant allgatorfrog.

I find it deeply unsettling to read the names of Kristen Steward and Vincent Cassel next to one another.

I cannot comment on the bad ones, but Mandy was an epiphany!

Seagal is a human pie. He spits out half a dozen films per year, most of those about some military guy still on active duty while Seagal is a senior citizen and can barely move due to inertia (see, it's simple physics). Seagal doesn't even change his look anymore. Same beard, same glasses, same haircut and often the same clothes!
    Changing beard, glasses, haircut and clothes is for beginners, Segal´s acting skills are on such a high level that he doesn´t do this anymore. Or he has a strong sense for conituity, and all those films are sequels to one another.
    The first trailer for Blumhouse's latest adaptation of The Invisible Man is due to arrive imminently.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first trailer for Blumhouse's latest adaptation of The Invisible Man is due to arrive imminently.

Curious about this. All the latest versions have been horrible.