The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Wow, that's almost the running length of the television adaptation!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Was the first really 10 years ago?

Ten years ago this September!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    James Wan is directing a new series based on the 1997 slasher film I Know What You Did Last Summer.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3575407/james-wan-directing-know-last-summer-pilot-amazon/

i-know-what-you-did-last-summer.png?fit=200%2C1
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Denbigh wrote: »
    James Wan is directing a new series based on the 1997 slasher film I Know What You Did Last Summer.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3575407/james-wan-directing-know-last-summer-pilot-amazon/

i-know-what-you-did-last-summer.png?fit=200%2C1

giphy.gif

A new series? I take it my wife won't be involved, damn.
    Really... I have a remote nostalgic love for the first two films. The third, not so much. But a series? Honestly, I know that TV is where it's at these days but surely Wan can do better. I look up to him. He's a great entertainer in the horror, action and fantasy genres. He's given me hours of fun since that first SAW film hit theatres. I'm always open to more Conjuring, Insidious, anything coming from him (except maybe Death Sentence). But a TV series based on IKWKM seems a waste of (his) talent and (our) time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm not sure @DarthDimi, given the right budget and the right actors, this could really work. If it ends up like the Scream TV series then it's going to be terrible, but imagine getting maybe eight episodes of a James Wan-style slasher film that reboots one of the best slasher films of the 90's, with source material and an urban legend to fall back on. I think this could work if taken seriously.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Looks interesting. :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Full trailer for Blumhouse's The Hunt coming later today.

Twelve strangers wake up in a clearing. They don't know where they are, or how they got there. They don't know they've been chosen - for a very specific purpose - The Hunt.
    Looks good!
    edited July 2019 Posts: 15,690

----

qq3xg8oo0gd31.jpg
    edited July 2019 Posts: 15,690

az7pyniwzmd31.jpg
    edited August 2019 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe @boldfinger

First official image of the sci-fi horror film Color Out of Space:

coloroutofspace-0-HERO.jpg

Based on the short story by H.P. Lovecraft, the film follows The Gardners, a family who moves to a remote farmstead in rural New England to escape the hustle of the 21st century. They are busy adapting to their new life when a meteorite crashes into their front yard. The mysterious aerolite seems to melt into the earth, infecting both the land and the properties of space-time with a strange, otherworldly color. To their horror, the Gardner family discover that this alien force is gradually mutating every life form that it touches...including them.

Directed by: Richard Stanley.

Starring: Nicolas Cage, Tommy Chong and Joely Richardson.
    I´m in as long as Cage´s mutation is performed solely by his acting and not by makeup or FX :-).
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I´m in as long as Cage´s mutation is performed solely by his acting and not by makeup or FX :-).

q0k.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    H.P. Lovecraft... Nicholas Cage... this might be epic.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 23,559
    Funny thing, this. The Colour Out Of Space, while being one of Lovecraft's more 'sci-fi-ish' en less 'horror-ish' stories, is also one of his most adapted in films so far (*), in comics and in graphic novels. It is considered Cthulhu mythos, but I find the link with said mythos remote at best.

Very few of Lovecraft's stories are "filmable" unless you start taking enormous liberties with the narrative, which, by the way, is fine. I'm not such a purist that I cannot tolerate a Lovecraft adaptation out of fear of some filmmaker not using the material verbatim. (In the Dracula thread, I'm a little frustrated that Dracula adventures are sometimes harshly criticized simply because of the filmmakers' "unfaithfulness" towards Stoker's novel, while it is also asserted that Bram Stoker's book cannot actually be successfully adapted! So it's either a loose adaptation or none at all then.) To be honest, I have seen some Lovecraftian films done very well, despite their obvious dissimilarities to the original story and even to Lovecraft's style and typical story elements. Re-Animator, From Beyond and Dagon are possibly among the better-known adaptations, and each time, it's clear from the start that Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna have taken names and situation from the stories and built an entirely different plot around those.

Ergo, the Lovecraft fan in me is actually rather pleased to see that another, possibly high-profile adaptation of The Colour Out Of Space is in the works. Perhaps Cage will bring the right amount of "crazy" to fit the usual descent into madness of Lovecraft's characters. I'm still waiting for (more/different) adaptations of my favourite stories, including The Shadow Over Innsmouth, Call Of Cthulhu and At The Mountains Of Madness, though I believe it would be best if a talented screenwriter merged several stories into one, seeing how, indeed, 'unfilmable' most of Lovecraft's stories are. That said, I'm already looking forward to seeing Nic Cage in The Colour Out Of Space. :)

(*) Here's a list I have taken from both "The Lurker In The Lobby" and Wikipedia:
    • Die, Monster, Die! (1965, starring Boris Karloff)
    • The Curse (1987, starring Wil Wheaton)
    • Colour From The Dark (2008, starring Marysia Kay)
    • Die Farbe (2010, starring no-one I know)
    • Annihilation (2018, starring Natalie Portman) Although I really hesitate to include this one in the list.
    I have seen all of these, some in very poor You Tube quality. Die, Monster, Die! is a very loose adaptation at best. The Curse is probably my favourite, despite it being a mediocre film. Colour From The Dark is more intense but didn't feel Lovecraftian at all. And Die Farbe came in such low quality (not the film, the copy that I saw), that it's hard for me to say anything useful about it at all.
    boldfinger wrote: »

q0k.gif
    Bring it on :-)!

ci1s3iwtueh31.jpg

wjo8pv30cmh31.jpg
    First official image of Edgar Wright's Last Night in Soho:

o7sw432yxnj31.jpg

Starring: Anya Taylor-Joy, Matt Smith, Diana Rigg and Terence Stamp.

----

2nd trailer for Doctor Sleep expected to arrive soon.
    1st trailer for Blumhouse's Black Christmas remake also expected soon.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Thanks for the heads up @DaltonCraig007, particularly excited for the Black Christmas trailer as I'm a huge Imogen Poots fan :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2019 Posts: 40,490
    Next trailer for Doctor Sleep will be online Sunday.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,559
    I'm excited for that one. I've seen all of Mike Flanagan's feature-length movies at this point, i.e. Absentia, Oculus, Hush, Before I Wake, Ouija: Origin Of Evil and Gerald's Game, all of which he has (co-)written, edited and directed, and let me tell you: this man knows how to be scary. I think we're in for a treat with his adaptation of Doctor Sleep.
    First official image of Edgar Wright's Last Night in Soho:

o7sw432yxnj31.jpg

Starring: Anya Taylor-Joy, Matt Smith, Diana Rigg and Terence Stamp.

----

2nd trailer for Doctor Sleep expected to arrive soon.
    1st trailer for Blumhouse's Black Christmas remake also expected soon.

I'm not as big a fan of Wright's as many folks seem to be, but I've generally liked most of his movies. The cast looks interesting, though.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up @DaltonCraig007, particularly excited for the Black Christmas trailer as I'm a huge Imogen Poots fan :)

I'll probably check this Black Christmas out too, because I'm a relentless completist. Imogen Poots? I liked her in 28 Weeks Later and V For Vendetta, and even in Jane Eyre and the remake of Fright Night. But I found her simply bad in Need For Speed, I'm sorry to say.
    In Imogen Poots' defense, everyone was either bad or forgettable in Need For Speed. I had even forgotten that the great Michael Keaton was in that film until I checked his IMDB page recently.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In Imogen Poots' defense, everyone was either bad or forgettable in Need For Speed. I had even forgotten that the great Michael Keaton was in that film until I checked his IMDB page recently.

I've still not seen that and I doubt I ever do. As for Black Christmas, I skimmed the trailer - seems a bit cheesy, can't say I have any interest in it myself. At least it seems like they're taking it in a twistier, more inventive direction, I suppose, but the original is all I need from the "series."