The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Ready or Not looks ok-ish, though I'm not sure about the comedy elements. Personally, I don't like comedy with horror as it tends to cheapen it. As for yet another remake of Black Christmas... why? The only one I'm really looking forward to is Midsommar with Jack Reynor from the excellent Strange Angel.
    and yet still no Jaws reboot...
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 3,333
    A bit more synopsis on the new Black Christmas remake has been posted.

In the new film, Hawthorne College is quieting down for the holidays. One by one, sorority girls on campus are being killed by an unknown stalker. But the killer is about to discover that this generation’s young women aren’t willing to become hapless victims as they mount a fight to the finish.

Sounds totally dreadful. I'm not a big fan of Jason Blum as he mostly makes cliched and rote jump-scare movies, but this just sounds like it's missing the point of the first movie. The pitch seems to be to substitute the sorority girls' vulnerability and replace it with some modern empowerment trope whereby they're totally kick-ass heroines. Needless to say, I won't be seeing this at the flicks.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If they want to be empowering, why don't they empower a female by gender swapping the characters.
    You mean switch the sorority to a fraternity and have the killer as a woman @MajorDSmythe? Now, that would be a modern take on the original, but it's probably too radical and innovative for Jason Blum.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    bondsum wrote: »
    You mean switch the sorority to a fraternity and have the killer as a woman @MajorDSmythe? Now, that would be a modern take on the original, but it's probably too radical and innovative for Jason Blum.

Exactly that. In other genres, it might be fine to shout from the rooftops about having empowering female characters. But in a slasher film, they need more than just empowering female characters for their usp. Change the gender, and make it more subversive. Otherwise, what are they selling me that I haven't seen in countless other slasher films. The slasher sub-genre is built on the idea of the meek quiet girl, who after seeing her friends brutally killed off, is forced to dig down deep, to find the strength and courage to fend off her tormentor.
    I don't disagree with you @MajorDSmythe. I thought the thing that still makes the original hold up so well, even today, was the fact that the victims never got the chance to make a stand against their perpetrator. He was a faceless, evil, irrepressible force that took them all by surprise and we "the viewer" were just as helpless as his victims were. The fear was usurped from the characters in the movie and transferred to us, the audience. It made the terror tangible, which is why it's still considered a very good horror movie today.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't disagree with you @MajorDSmythe. I thought the thing that still makes the original hold up so well, even today, was the fact that the victims never got the chance to make a stand against their perpetrator. He was a faceless, evil, irrepressible force that took them all by surprise and we "the viewer" were just as helpless as his victims were. The fear was usurped from the characters in the movie and transferred to us, the audience. It made the terror tangible, which is why it's still considered a very good horror movie today.

Well put, I couldn't agree more and that's easily one of my favorite aspects of the original. Sounds like this remake will be a PC-laden mess of "empowerment" just for the sake of doing so.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Well put, I couldn't agree more and that's easily one of my favorite aspects of the original. Sounds like this remake will be a PC-laden mess of "empowerment" just for the sake of doing so.

That’s exactly what the synopsis would imply sadly. But thankfully we have the original - one of the best-ever horror films IMO.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2019 Posts: 15,693
    Trailer for the 2nd season of The Terror:

----

First poster for the horror/western film The Pale Door:

The film follows a gang of cowboys and a mysterious woman who seek shelter in a seemingly uninhabited ghost town after a disastrous train robbery. Seeking help for their wounded leader they are surprised to stumble upon a welcoming brothel in the town’s square but soon discover that the town is home to a coven of witches and blood-thirsty wolves.

9jfain3sfj531.jpg

Couldn't have put it better. =D> I might try and find where I have put the DVD, and give it a watch. I can't remember the last time I watched it.
    edited June 2019 Posts: 15,693
    The next Halloween sequel coming in October 2020 ; will start filming this fall. Jamie Lee Curtis to return.

http://collider.com/halloween-2-release-date-jamie-lee-curtis/
    The next Halloween sequel coming in October 2020 ; will start filming this fall. Jamie Lee Curtis to return.

Geez that was fast! If only Bond could churn it out that fast again!
    FoxRox wrote: »

Geez that was fast! If only Bond could churn it out that fast again!

I'd certainly love to see a return to that speed of output again.
    Diana Rigg and Terence Stamp join Matt Smith & Anya Taylor-Joy in Edgar Wright's Last Night in Soho.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/edgar-wright-diana-rigg-terence-stamp-film-last-night-in-soho-1203251366/
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @Creasy47 @bondjames @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @MajorDSmythe

It is finally happening: Danny Boyle has confirmed that 28 Months Later is currently being written by Alex Garland.

He later elaborated that it's still just in the idea stage at the moment (has been for a few years now) and that Garland is busy working on his own projects, so they haven't started writing it yet. It's still in "abeyance" and best described it as "you never know".

So, it's not quite confirmed yet.

But, hopefully that changes. I liked both of the first two films a lot.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I want that film badly as long as Murphy does the music.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Trailer for the 2nd season of The Terror:

----

First poster for the horror/western film The Pale Door:

The film follows a gang of cowboys and a mysterious woman who seek shelter in a seemingly uninhabited ghost town after a disastrous train robbery. Seeking help for their wounded leader they are surprised to stumble upon a welcoming brothel in the town’s square but soon discover that the town is home to a coven of witches and blood-thirsty wolves.

9jfain3sfj531.jpg

The Pale Door looks interesting. Big fan of Joe R Lansdale's writing. And if you've never read his stuff then do yourself a favour and give his stuff a go.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Pale Door seems very interesting. I am getting Bone Tomahawk vibes, and I loved that movie.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So I'm loving the Halloween sequel even thought I didn't love last years film that much, looking forward to Black Christmas mainly because of Imogen Poots, but I NEED a Friday the 13th reboot/sequel as soon as possible.
    Peninsula, the sequel to 2016's Train to Busan, will start production this month.
    Peninsula, the sequel to 2016's Train to Busan, will start production this month.

Excellent news, I'm eager to see what they come up with. I loved Train to Busan, thought it was a nice, humanistic version of a zombie outbreak film with some amazing action sequences.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Excellent news, I'm eager to see what they come up with. I loved Train to Busan, thought it was a nice, humanistic version of a zombie outbreak film with some amazing action sequences.
    Agreed! In a genre I was well and tired of before watching, Train to Busan really invigorated zombie films, with humour and a smart script.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    I'd be interested to hear how people would remake/reboot Friday the 13th, and please don't answer with "don't". Give it a think, how could a filmmaker win you over with a thirteenth entry in the franchise? :)
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,047
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear how people would remake/reboot Friday the 13th, and please don't answer with "don't". Give it a think, how could a filmmaker win you over with a thirteenth entry in the franchise? :)

I'm eagerly awaiting a new Friday. Even with the high number of installments thus far, I don't think Friday has really peaked when you compare the series' best with its peers best, Nightmare and Halloween, whose top installments are easily better than anything from Jason. However, there is a lot of potential for Mr. Voorhees to have his classic entry (even now), so I'm all for a properly planned out reboot (preferably a trilogy and no more).

As for who would do it? I'm not sure. I'd like to see it done relatively grittily, fairly similar in tone to the 2009 Marcus Nispel film (which actually was a bit of fun), but better. The fantasy aspect of Jason works far better when it is in the background, used to fill in gaps and colour the story rather than being its backbone.
    Challenge accepted. Let me think for a day or two. And i'll see what I can come up with.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I personally think they should either reboot the entire franchise once again but find a way to combine the first and second film, so that we can update the mythology to be a little less tricky. Also if they're going to reboot the entire franchise, they should definitely go back to the 1970s/80s, like the "Dazed and Confused meets Friday the 13th" concept for one of the cancelled scripts.

On the other hand, they could do what David Gordon Green did with Halloween, and reboot the franchise but from a particular film. I would suggest keeping the first four films, ending with Jason's "death" and create a new follow-up that retcons Parts 5 to Freddy vs Jason, and the remake obviously. With this you could also go many ways, either stick create a new character arc and story for a teenage Tommy Jarvis, setting the film in the 80's, or have Jarvis grow up and have a family, setting the film in modern-day.

Overall, I'm not sure which one I'd go with, but they both will have death, drugs and teenagers. Although if I was writing this myself I'd want some humour but with respect for the franchise with well-written characters and a tense and scary arc that elevates from start to finish.
    A reboot set in the 80s would be nice, actually. There's a certain charm to that idea, especially in these nostalgia driven times.